Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
CAESAR has the best name of all weapons. CAmion Équipé d'un Système d'ARtillerie - truck with an artillery piece on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

Many experts seem to think Russia has nothing to mobilize with.

A new Perun video dropped earlier today that covered this in some detail, discussing the potential and possibilities of a long-term war (including mobilisation).

TL/DW:
-Russian active and reserve stocks give them a major advantage in the early-mid war, though there is a question over their readiness.
-Russia is 'on a clock', with their advantages diminishing over time, but there is a mountain for Ukraine to climb.
-Over time, the balance shifts to Ukraine (but from a non-even start), due to West's massive economic/MIC advantage
-There are numerous bottlenecks to sustainably uparming and building capabilities of Ukraine (training, infrastructure, political will). Can't just send A-10s on a truck.
-But efforts should be made regardless on assumption war may go long, so work should start now.
-Lend lease potentially very significant, taboos in providing heavier weapons eroding.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Big RUSI paper on the war. Contains some interesting new narrative on the opening days:

https://twitter.com/Jack_Watling/status/1517475912798900224

I feel like this will backfire in a huge way

https://twitter.com/Jack_Watling/status/1517475918654156800

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

they keep saying this could last years: Maybe the overall geopolitical anger with Russia, but honestly I suspect by the end of this year we're going to see one of two things:
1. Either Russia suddenly makes major gains and Ukraine falls
2. Russia runs out of equipment and is largely pushed out of mainland Ukraine.

I suspect the latter, and I suspect it won't be years.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

I think we would be surprised how little would be needed for the propaganda machine to spin it as a "win". Putin still seems fairly invincible internally, and RT has near total control of the information the majority of Russians receive. If they called anything a victory and just arrest anyone who says otherwise as a traitor then who's going to contradict them?

There is no "win" for Putin as Ukraine's entrance into the EU will, in Putin's mind, be destabilizing. The prospect of a prosperous liberal democracy on his border is too dire to contemplate. Additionally, from his perspective, there is no practical difference between EU membership and NATO. As Ukraine will not agree to any terms that preclude EU membership, his only avenue to prevent such a political catastrophe is Ukrainian subjection.

While we might believe that he has not the military strength to effect such a win, Putin, I believe, in his insane determination, believes otherwise. This war will long continue.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/flash43191300/status/1517479499125952513

I don’t know precise location of this, but Korolyov is famous for its space industry. This set of fires in strategically important locations is getting increasingly spicy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the popes toes posted:

While we might believe that he has not the military strength to effect such a win, Putin, I believe, in his insane determination, believes otherwise. This war will long continue.

Sadly for Putin, militaries are not powered by mental determination. And he's largely losing in bulk what normally powers armies: Logistics, Fuel, Food, and equipment.

He's lost so much in such a short period, I don't see a years long sustainment being possible.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 22, 2022

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

DandyLion posted:

Which pushes what endgame narrative? Eventual full mobilization?
Doesn't seem to be in the cards unless I've missed some radical new signals from the Russian leadership? A conscript army is very risky politically and - as I understand it - unlikely to make much of a difference on the ground given what we've seen of their logistics and air power.

But suggesting a Russophobic conspiracy of the whole world arrayed against Russia *does *lend itself to selling even very modest gains as a major victory whenever a peace settlement is finally landed.
I can see this being the spin: "Despite the military support of the whole of NATO - the whole world against Mother Russia! - we *still* humbled Ukraine and forced them to accept neutral status! They're never joining NATO! Moreover, we ensured denazification by cutting the head off Azov in Mariupol, we secured protection and autonomy for our Russian brethren in LDNR." Who knows, maybe they'll even have a land corridor to Crimea to boast about depending on how things shake out.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 22, 2022

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

CommieGIR posted:

they keep saying this could last years: Maybe the overall geopolitical anger with Russia, but honestly I suspect by the end of this year we're going to see one of two things:
1. Either Russia suddenly makes major gains and Ukraine falls
2. Russia runs out of equipment and is largely pushed out of mainland Ukraine.

I suspect the latter, and I suspect it won't be years.

Option 3 is Russia mobilizing more troops and trying to delay the war. My guess is the current offensives are to get the actual active army to capture the land areas Putin wants to defend (looks like all of Donbas + land bridge). Putin can then mobilize just the reservists, let's say 300K, to send there and dig them into trenches. All they need for that are rifles and basic AT weapons. The remaining active army will provide artillery support and air support. It will be hard to attack 300K entrenched troops and that can buy Russia 8 more years of protracted war just like it was since 2014 (although it was a smaller front).

The issue is that the current active forces that Russia has in Ukraine are not enough to defend all of that territory and mobilizing reservists will take at least 4-5 months to get them out to the battle lines. If Ukraine can recapture the territory by September then mobilization won't matter. Poorly equipped reservists and conscripts can't attack, they can only be useful in defense.

Just because this is a stupid plan doesn't mean Putin wouldn't want to do it.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 22, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Sadly for Putin, militaries are not powered by mental determination. And he's largely losing in bulk what normally powers armies: Logistics, Fuel, Food, and equipment.

He's lost so much in such a short period, I don't see a years long sustainment being possible.

mental determination is a huge part of militaries, which is a big reason ukraine is punching above its weight and russia is...not

but mental determination of the soldiers fighting not the old nutter shouting about his determination as he orders other people to risk their lives while he won't get within 20 feet of someone else for fear of covid, when that "determination" is just refusal to be personally embarrassed by losing (the determination of zelensky to risk his life staying in kyiv, on the other hand, did fuel his military)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t know precise location of this, but Korolyov is famous for its space industry. This set of fires in strategically important locations is getting increasingly spicy.

some people are claiming it's a significant target, though I can't speak to their accuracy obviously

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1517519085776613377

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Saladman posted:

So have the brainworm-infested people on Twitter already gone crazy over these Ukrainians using blackface, which adds to not only are they Nazis, but they’re also KKK Nazis?

:chloe:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://meduza.io/feature/2022/04/2...reytinga-putina

According to Meduza’s sources, Kremlin is at loss on how to end this war without entering into peace talks and, thus, cratering Putin’s ratings. They also claim that Kremlin’s insiders are complaining that the Nazism theme has been overdone by the propaganda (in a difficult to step down from manner).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1517512148225867776

Kharkiv subway concert by local musicians
https://twitter.com/LachowskiMateus/status/1517214561652330496

Nuclear weapon speculation increases
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1517518693055578113

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Do we know what caught fire? I'm curious as to the impact

eke out posted:

some people are claiming it's a significant target, though I can't speak to their accuracy obviously
Widespread large fires seems to be some sort of resistance movement or sabotage. I'll look for a geo location tweet or do it myself later to see what this was.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 22, 2022

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That just looks like a random warehouse to me.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Rad Russian posted:

My guess is the current offensives are to get the actual active army to capture the land areas Putin wants to defend (looks like all of Donbas + land bridge). Putin can then mobilize just the reservists, let's say 300K, to send there and dig them into trenches. All they need for that are rifles and basic AT weapons. The remaining active army will provide artillery support and air support. It will be hard to attack 300K entrenched troops and that can buy Russia 8 more years of protracted war just like it was since 2014 (although it was a smaller front).

The issue is that the current active forces that Russia has in Ukraine are not enough to defend all of that territory and mobilizing reservists will take at least 4-5 months to get them out to the battle lines. If Ukraine can recapture the territory by September then mobilization won't matter. Poorly equipped reservists and conscripts can't attack, they can only be useful in defense.
I can see that being plausible too.

I'm curious though: Ukraine's mobilization is all but complete, right? And surely a lot of recruits must have finished basic training by now. What kind of numbers could we expect to see Ukraine field in a counteroffensive later this Summer?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

I'm curious though: Ukraine's mobilization is all but complete, right? And surely a lot of recruits must have finished basic training by now. What kind of numbers could we expect to see Ukraine field in a counteroffensive later this Summer?

400k veterans if they have the equipment to arm them. Plus hundreds of thousands of volunteers if they have the equipment to arm and the spare cadre to train them from scratch.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

Number of troops won't matter on the offensive, it's firepower. That's why these artillery and armored fighting vehicle transfers are so critical and insufficient. Sheer number of troops won't launch an offensive, though continued infantry combat may wear down Russian forces through attrition.

A lot of these Ukrainian reserves will likely need additional training to operate them, or be used to replace troops that will be rotated out for more advanced training on the heavy equipment.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Was this already in the fleet? If not, how'd they get it there?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Every day Russia sounds more and more like a bud light swilling abusive partner.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

slowdave posted:

That just looks like a random warehouse to me.

I'm saying that city is important, as it has a ton of Roskosmos facilities. I used to have a friend who worked there. The specifics of the building on fire are unknown to me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't think Ukraine is even close to completing mobilisation, it seems like the limiting factor is their ability to fit out new formations with equipment.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

Was this already in the fleet? If not, how'd they get it there?
It is part of the Black Sea fleet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_salvage_ship_Kommuna

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

According to Meduza’s sources, Kremlin is at loss on how to end this war without entering into peace talks and, thus, cratering Putin’s ratings. They also claim that Kremlin’s insiders are complaining that the Nazism theme has been overdone by the propaganda (in a difficult to step down from manner).

yeah, they escalate to the point where it would be unpopular to say " uh we finished and ukraine promised to not gently caress with us". they can only double down but they can't really do much more.

eke out posted:

i am curious what the gently caress this is. my guess is ukranian/??? cells in russia, OR maybe some weird lesser IC agencies are gunning for the throne. this poo poo isnt stuff that would be targeted by angry protesters or false flag poo poo.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

As Kofman has said a million times, the limiting factor for Ukraine's forces is equipment, not bodies.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Barudak posted:

I refuse to engage the possibility this is anything but a deep level of irony. REFUSE

In a quick look on the Twitter thread I didn’t see anyone parrot that view, uuuut if that image went viral I’m sure you wouldn’t have to look too long to find someone actually saying that and meaning it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm saying that city is important, as it has a ton of Roskosmos facilities. I used to have a friend who worked there. The specifics of the building on fire are unknown to me.

https://www.mskagency.ru/materials/3206561

According to local news, bitumen roof cover of a building under reconstruction was on fire. That would explain the giant smoke pillar. The original source tweet has already been deleted.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia Is planning for a long conflict

We are back folks. World war one has returned to the forefront and god willing the Serbians will defeat the Austrian imperialists this time. Ukraine standing in for Serbia and Russia for the austro hungs.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks everyone.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Once you have a wolf by the ears you don't want to let go, but I'm surprised the Kremlin doesn't have ways of redirecting this kind of rampant chauvinism into a new avenue? With an iron grip on the media and plenty of chud pundits to puppeteer, you'd think they'd be able to sell a narrative of victory/successful denazification:

PerilPastry posted:

suggesting a Russophobic conspiracy of the whole world arrayed against Russia *does *lend itself to selling even very modest gains as a major victory whenever a peace settlement is finally landed.
I can see this being the spin: "Despite the military support of the whole of NATO - the whole world against Mother Russia! - we *still* humbled Ukraine and forced them to accept neutral status! They're never joining NATO! Moreover, we ensured denazification by cutting the head off Azov in Mariupol, we secured protection and autonomy for our Russian brethren in LDNR." Who knows, maybe they'll even have a land corridor to Crimea to boast about depending on how things shake out.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, they escalate to the point where it would be unpopular to say " uh we finished and ukraine promised to not gently caress with us". they can only double down but they can't really do much more.

i am curious what the gently caress this is. my guess is ukranian/??? cells in russia, OR maybe some weird lesser IC agencies are gunning for the throne. this poo poo isnt stuff that would be targeted by angry protesters or false flag poo poo.

My money is on compromissed IT systems leading to electrical failure.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

PerilPastry posted:

Thanks everyone.

Once you have a wolf by the ears you don't want to let go, but I'm surprised the Kremlin doesn't have ways of redirecting this kind of rampant chauvinism into a new avenue? With an iron grip on the media and plenty of chud pundits to puppeteer, you'd think they'd be able to sell a narrative of victory/successful denazification:
Russia believes any state acting with agency on the world island is Russophobic. loving Nazis man.

Also the fact that Russian/ukrianian partisans are now sabotaging major targets is 10/10 would be alive during this time again.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FSB agent: "now I will make money from 63 iphones of 13th model promax!

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Recall the potential "10 year " war bruited by the Pentagon? Who also noted a few days ago that Russia "could still win this war"?

I don't believe a Russian win is in the cards. But I do believe they'll try for it. And that this war may last a year longer, or more. Putin's constituency has the appetite for war, and it seems, demands it. His survival depends on it.

Unfortunately he created this seemingly unwinnable war by his errors. He's boxed in. There's no where for him to go but a long war.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

the popes toes posted:

Recall the potential "10 year " war bruited by the Pentagon? Who also noted a few days ago that Russia "could still win this war"?

I don't believe a Russian win is in the cards. But I do believe they'll try for it. And that this war may last a year longer, or more. Putin's constituency has the appetite for war, and it seems, demands it. His survival depends on it.

Unfortunately he created this seemingly unwinnable war by his errors. He's boxed in. There's no where for him to go but a long war.
In like a year the ukrainians will have a military the size of Iran.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Every day Russia sounds more and more like a bud light swilling abusive partner.

russian booze comercials are the same except when you spray with the booze hose everyone becomes babushka

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia Is planning for a long conflict

We are back folks. World war one has returned to the forefront and god willing the Serbians will defeat the Austrian imperialists this time. Ukraine standing in for Serbia and Russia for the austro hungs.
Good news, Austria and Serbia are on the same side now!

Alan Smithee posted:

FSB agent: "now I will make money from 63 iphones of 13th model promax!
FSB agent to supervisor: I recovered these 3 stolen iphones

How far did Moskva sink from wher it was hit? Still in range? :getin:

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

Thanks everyone.

The problem is they can probably not get much from Ukrainian that could be sold at home. I don't think Ukraine will accept anything but a full withdrawal of Russia from Donbass and Kherson. They will certainly not accept an imposition of neutrality, if it means no security guarantees and no EU membership. Selling a situation which is worse than the outset is hard. But I maintain that the longer this goes on, the bigger the chance of a Russian military disintegration which would be incredibly humiliating. Hence, I expect either a failed desperate offensive, attacking NATO in the mildest possible manner to draw them in to justify a withdrawal or simply a Russian major defeat.

I cannot see this ending with Russian gaining any concessions at the table. They will eventually have to withdraw or be humiliated. The big question is what happens once Donbas is taken by Ukraine.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

the popes toes posted:

He doesn't seem willing to conduct a full mobilization though. And every day he delays that pushes off the time range large numbers of reinforcements can arrive to 3~4 months in the future (assuming they are trained). And every month that passes the Ukranian army gets significantly larger and better equiped. Given that, it's very hard for me to see the Russian line lasting to the fall without collapsing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rad Russian posted:

Option 3 is Russia mobilizing more troops and trying to delay the war. My guess is the current offensives are to get the actual active army to capture the land areas Putin wants to defend (looks like all of Donbas + land bridge). Putin can then mobilize just the reservists, let's say 300K, to send there and dig them into trenches. All they need for that are rifles and basic AT weapons. The remaining active army will provide artillery support and air support. It will be hard to attack 300K entrenched troops and that can buy Russia 8 more years of protracted war just like it was since 2014 (although it was a smaller front).

Just because this is a stupid plan doesn't mean Putin wouldn't want to do it.

Mobilizing troops only works if you can equip and supply them.

EDIT: Oh, and train them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

FSB agent to supervisor: I recovered these 3 stolen iphones

"Yevgeny! These are nokia flip phones of 2010!"

*astonished* "You don't think the Finnish are pumping these into Ukraine?"