Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
dying looking at that controller WORLD VIDEO GAME CHAMPION SKIP ROGERS was sellin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I wonder if the phone number still works.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I could have used Skip Rogers, World Video Game Champion, when I was first playing Simon's Quest let me tell you.

That Prowlers invasion was great.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

God Skip Rogers, World Video Game Champion must be a time traveller, he seems to have captured the early age of LPs and was doing it in the 80s.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Wonderful that you went back for the armor and for what's inside :allears:

Closer look at the Dragon Memories and the dragon corpses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QErvgCHuz50

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Carpator Diei posted:

Wonderful that you went back for the armor and for what's inside :allears:

Closer look at the Dragon Memories and the dragon corpses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QErvgCHuz50

Love that they use Kings field music for this :)

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I've begun chipping away at a ~2.5hr video explaining the story in Dark Souls 2 and it's amazing the stuff folks were able to suss out. There's a lot of "interpolating" going on between breadcrumbed clues, sure, but it's nice to have things laid out to where I can kind of pack it all in together. Putting the gaps in play-time aside, I feel that the hectic structure of the game kind of makes it hard to hold onto a through-line, if that make sense?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
There's also so many details and hints at surprisingly thought-out storylines that barely have any connection to the "main plot" and are basically missable. It probably comes down to the game's great ambitions that had to be scaled back, but I think it makes DS2's world feel rich with history, even moreso than the other FromSoft games.

Zullie's videos are really good in general; there's usually some very close looks at fine design details, or even exploration of cut content. Here's some DS2-related ones I found particularly interesting:
The statues in Vendrick's tomb
Shaded Woods without fog
Possible cut ideas for the Pursuer's bird
The arena of the Burnt Ivory King
That frog thing in the Shrine of Amana

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 3, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Geop posted:

I've begun chipping away at a ~2.5hr video explaining the story in Dark Souls 2 and it's amazing the stuff folks were able to suss out. There's a lot of "interpolating" going on between breadcrumbed clues, sure, but it's nice to have things laid out to where I can kind of pack it all in together. Putting the gaps in play-time aside, I feel that the hectic structure of the game kind of makes it hard to hold onto a through-line, if that make sense?

My big Dark Souls 2 thought that I don't see many people share is I think the entire game actually takes place inside the Abyss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The plot is about bearing and seeking, lest

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Geop posted:

I really like the themes of DS2, and I thought Aldia was a great character who, while he didn't get many lines, really nailed the delivery on them. Dark Souls 2 makes a strong thesis statement in my opinion, but I'll wait till the LP has officially hit the end to bring up my thoughts on it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Lord_Magmar posted:

My big Dark Souls 2 thought that I don't see many people share is I think the entire game actually takes place inside the Abyss.
That's an interesting idea. Something people very often neglect is the opening cutscene itself. You know, the one where the player character (maybe?) leaps into the giant whirlpool (which has been sending up ghosts?). And then you immediately wake up in Things Betwixt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svy0Ih77fuc

Exactly where this is all happening is kind of unclear, and the abyss or something like it is a good idea.

Geop posted:

Putting the gaps in play-time aside, I feel that the hectic structure of the game kind of makes it hard to hold onto a through-line, if that make sense?
I think I've mentioned it before: when I played Dark Souls, I did it with a wiki in hand, because I struggled to get into the game at first. When DS2 came out, I decided to play it the way I heard was The Real Dark Souls: to just play the game and try to figure things out on my own, not knowing where anything is, how anything works, etc.

I enjoyed the game initially, but by the second half I just felt ... lost, confused, completely disengaged from the plot. I asked a friend, who was farther along than I, for some pointers about figuring stuff out and he suggested talking to Queen Nashandra. Queen Nashandra refused to say anything to me. I thought at the time: "I was having a good time, and then the game decided to just go on without me, and came to an end without me." (Having a summons for the final boss who did most of the fighting didn't help.)

After playing Scholar a bunch (wiki in hand once more!), I think I have a decent grasp of what's going on in the game, but also ... I'm not sure how well the game communicates all those details. Like you said, the structure of the is going in all directions at once, so you don't get a consistently built story out of playing it.

A couple other videos you might like, focusing on out of bounds and cut content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmuHu-o-PKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_YcEvpAafE
(I think someone linked that one here, earlier, after you cleared The Gutter.)

Obligatum VII posted:

I really like the themes of DS2, and I thought Aldia was a great character who, while he didn't get many lines, really nailed the delivery on them. Dark Souls 2 makes a strong thesis statement in my opinion, but I'll wait till the LP has officially hit the end to bring up my thoughts on it.
I look forward to it. I don't have a great handle on Aldia as a character, and he's certainly ... interesting.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There's one or two other reasons for my theory, but the big one is yes the opening cutscene has you jump in a big swirly whirlpool and wake up in things betwixt. Notably that big swirly whirlpool is verys imilar to the portals you take in the abyss diving covenant.

So my theory sort of goes that Drangleic was a real place, and ended up in the abyss much like Oolacile did. Except it's worse because a lot more of Drangleic got sucked down. This is also why the weird transitions between zones happen, the abyss is "squashing" the world together based on the memories of the humans living here.

As for why it's in the Abyss, as are the DLC zones (kind of), well that's a thing I can explain a little later. But it is tied to what's going on with Nashandra and the other queens.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't DS3 all about how the entire world is getting squished together?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ilmucche posted:

Isn't DS3 all about how the entire world is getting squished together?

That's time and space converging because the fire is finally, truly totally fading.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
I don't think what's going on in Dark Souls 2's is really that complicated, but to understand you also have to know that a big part of every Fromsoft game, but especially 2, is that the dev cycle was a mess and they ended up with a bunch of stuff they had to make up a story for at the last minute. There's not really an underlying plan to figure out, and it's not your fault if you don't get it- neither do the people who made it. And, by extension, a lot of the "here's what's really going on" videos and such are just making things up.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Sum Gai posted:

I don't think what's going on in Dark Souls 2's is really that complicated, but to understand you also have to know that a big part of every Fromsoft game, but especially 2, is that the dev cycle was a mess and they ended up with a bunch of stuff they had to make up a story for at the last minute. There's not really an underlying plan to figure out, and it's not your fault if you don't get it- neither do the people who made it. And, by extension, a lot of the "here's what's really going on" videos and such are just making things up.

Yeah, my policy is not to sweat the specifics. The question is whether the game delivers on a solid theme by the end, which I think it does.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

Yeah, my policy is not to sweat the specifics. The question is whether the game delivers on a solid theme by the end, which I think it does.

Fair, although I'd argue that it's actually got two solid but mutually exclusive themes, depending on which version of the game you've got.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sum Gai posted:

Yeah, there's definitely a thematic throughline for the game and what it's saying which is ironically strengthened by its chaotic development.

"B-team" made a better game than DS3 and BB though :colbert:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
i love how every time WORLD VIDEO GAME CHAMPION SKIP ROGERS gives a piece of advice the accompanying video footage always shows him loving up

its a lot like this lp in a way

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I had to trim down W&W and MG a bit, but most of Mega Man 2 is in there and he's just so bad at it. Within an hour of posting, there were two comments going "jesus christ he's wrong about everything :psyduck:"

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
He's not wrong about "Don't smoke" :colbert:

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
That area before Sir Alonne is so painful. I did it solo as a hex build and had to resort to killing the enemies over and over until they stopped spawning before I could beat the boss. Same with the Iron Passage area.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So did you only have to be human to open that door and not kill Vendrick at all? It does at least seem proper that he's just a big brute at this point, unable to do more than just bash things. He's no Ludwig, that's for sure.

Kuvo posted:

i love how every time WORLD VIDEO GAME CHAMPION SKIP ROGERS gives a piece of advice the accompanying video footage always shows him loving up

its a lot like this lp in a way

Apparently the Cloak of Shadow works by falling 100 feet immediately after getting it.

Outpost22 posted:

Luckily that oversight was fixed in Solid. Thanks smoking!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Outpost22 posted:

He's wrong about that too. You can use cigarettes to make some lasers partially visible before you get whatever goggles you find that make them fully visible. It also gave you extra time to escape at the end. Though I'm not sure that last use made it to the NES version.

So you SHOULD smoke!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Geop posted:

I had to trim down W&W and MG a bit, but most of Mega Man 2 is in there and he's just so bad at it. Within an hour of posting, there were two comments going "jesus christ he's wrong about everything :psyduck:"
he really is

lol at going "use this order" but it's not the weakness order, and he doesn't use half of them anyway?!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So yeah the crowns are pretty much all worthless, effects-wise, except for Iron as a caster (why is Iron the caster hat???), where it's good for traversal, or if you're REALLY stretching out a boss fight maybe. Ivory is, I guess, better than nothing???

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Geop confirmed as Niles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rody One Half posted:

So yeah the crowns are pretty much all worthless, effects-wise, except for Iron as a caster (why is Iron the caster hat???), where it's good for traversal, or if you're REALLY stretching out a boss fight maybe. Ivory is, I guess, better than nothing???

He spent the most time of any of them casting, if you think about it

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
They really made a game out of Platoon?

"Don't shoot the villagers!", Skip Rogers says.

Well that doesn't sound like Platoon (or the Vietnam War itself) at all! :colbert:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Rody One Half posted:

The Iron crown is great for doing a no-bonfire run. You set up all the spells you think you might want to use in a full playthrough, put on the crown, and head into NG+.

For a more normal playthrough, I think its advantage is something like: You might only have five casts of Soul Spear, because it's a powerful spell. Wearing the Crown of the Old Iron King, you have five casts of Soul Spear every ten minutes, which can be quite helpful if you're making your way through a zone slowly and have other weapons to alternate with. You never actually use up your casts of your powerful spells.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

All of this is wrong. As it should be. Except 'try jumping' that one is always true..

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

:sickos:

necroid
May 14, 2009

lol

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

They really made a game out of Platoon?

"Don't shoot the villagers!", Skip Rogers says.

Well that doesn't sound like Platoon (or the Vietnam War itself) at all! :colbert:

I owned that game, though I was too young to have seen the movie. It still came off pretty strongly as something that was in production as a game and then had the label slapped on it. You never interacted with your platoon at all.

Also, making a map isn't very good advice. Most locations didn't need detailed mapping since you didn't really go back and forth much, or they were large areas but not actually very maze-like (the diagram of the 'final jungle' shows that pretty well).

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

im sorry in advance lmao

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
After a thousand years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fantastic. :golfclap:

I had no idea (well, until that doorbell moment). It would have made a great April Fool's video, but maybe that would have been too expected.