Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Where we stand as of this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Traveller posted:

Where we stand as of this chapter.

Why are some of the Princes subordinated to each other?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's referring to the fact that they have the same mother.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

e X posted:

Why are some of the Princes subordinated to each other?

They're not subordinates, but share the same mother.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's going with Beyond/Pariston/Ging's group? Are the green guys on Pariston side while the red ones are pro-Ging?

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
How is the baby supposed to compete against the other princes?

Also behind the 4th prince is the head of Kurapicas best friend.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Green guys are Beyond's group proper. Red guys are Muherr's strike team.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Traveller posted:

Colored boxes are the individual teams for the expedition.
In the green box are temp hunters.
The red box under Muherr is the defense team (stonewall).

GoldenPrice posted:

Also behind the 4th prince is the head of Kurapicas best friend.

It doesn't. One condition for becoming successor is riding the boat.

How are you so sure it's Kurapica's friend?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

How are you so sure it's Kurapica's friend?

Nobody can be sure but it's super likely for drama reasons and to further cement Kurapika's need to murder the hell out of that guy.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

GoldenPrice posted:

Nen Beast.

I really like that the bad guys (princes) are getting their power at the start of the arc rather than being competent before being introduced.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Nyaa posted:

Nen Beast.

I really like that the bad guys (princes) are getting their power at the start of the arc rather than being competent before being introduced.

Well, we technically only know one so far. Benjamin seems to be into martial arts, so he could easily know Nen.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GoldenPrice posted:

Given that his mother was shown with the baby, I'd probably imagine she'd do much of the legwork alongside the Nen beast to eliminate the competition.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

e X posted:

Well, we technically only know one so far. Benjamin seems to be into martial arts, so he could easily know Nen.

Why would someone who knows nen wrestle a lion? It's like not even a good warm-up. I think he's just a normal athlete. Maybe qualified to take the Hunter Exam at best.

My assumption is that the nen beasts are supposed to level the playing field, so none of the older siblings have a huge advantage over the kids. Its power would be based entirely on their personality and worthiness to be king.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Clarste posted:

Why would someone who knows nen wrestle a lion? It's like not even a good warm-up. I think he's just a normal athlete. Maybe qualified to take the Hunter Exam at best.

My assumption is that the nen beasts are supposed to level the playing field, so none of the older siblings have a huge advantage over the kids. Its power would be based entirely on their personality and worthiness to be king.

Gon grew up wrestling something far more deadly than a lion. (that bear monster he's friends with.) What i'm saying is Benjamin ain't poo poo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I wonder if the current king is going to survive. I don't think I want to see his Nen beast in action :stare:

Traveller posted:

Lurking Haro posted:

Colored boxes are the individual teams for the expedition.
In the green box are temp hunters.
The red box under Muherr is the defense team (stonewall).

Thanks.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Clarste posted:

He presumably is kind of an amateur if he doesn't have nen, since most serious martial artists we've come across have been on the same physical level, if not stronger, than the likes of Gon and Killua, who are strong enough to move over 3 tons in each arm without nen.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Prison Warden posted:

He presumably is kind of an amateur if he doesn't have nen, since most serious martial artists we've come across have been on the same physical level, if not stronger, than the likes of Gon and Killua, who are strong enough to move over 3 tons in each arm without nen.

You mean, they weren't even close to Gon & Killua since they were literally pushed out of the ring at each meeting.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Killua admitted that Hanzo (and also Hisoka) from the Hunter Exam was probably stronger than he is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh jay posted:

Killua admitted that Hanzo (and also Hisoka) from the Hunter Exam was probably stronger than he is.

Hanzo was actually among Gon's visitors during the election arc too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hanzo's also on Hisoka's list of "strong people to watch for" (he's in the "toy pile" of Hisoka's imagination back during the election arc, along with the Zodiacs, the Phantom Troupe, the main four, and the Hunters who ran the exam), so, yeah. Hanzo's beastly, probably even moreso since he now knows nen (like Kurapika, he was mentioned as having learned it while Killua and Gon were at the Tower by Wing).

As for the Princes, well, I would not be surprised if some were dangerous (by Hunter standards) pre-beast. That said, yeah, wrestling a lion (even a HXH lion, which probably would eat real lions for breakfast) isn't really an indicator of where Benjamin is except compared to normal people. Which is what the nen beasts are for, of course, so really it doesn't matter much except that some might be a threat even after the nen beast is dealt with.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 8, 2014

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
All this talk of Hanzo makes me really hope he's in this arc. I miss that goofy ninja bastard.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhygezenguro posted:

All this talk of Hanzo makes me really hope he's in this arc. I miss that goofy ninja bastard.

Oh yeah, him showing up in the election arc, especially as one of Hisoka's people to fight, has me hoping he does something again soon, since that moment established both A. Togashi hasn't forgotten about him, and B. He's even more of a badass than he used to be. Dunno about this arc, but him showing up sooner or later (probably later since this is shaping up to be a huge arc) would be great.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Isn't Hanzo the only guy left from their Hunter Exam that isn't a commonly recurring character? The bow guy is dead and I think he was the only other one.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ethiser posted:

Isn't Hanzo the only guy left from their Hunter Exam that isn't a commonly recurring character? The bow guy is dead and I think he was the only other one.

Yep. Of the people who passed, at least. People who didn't pass... I think the only one who showed up outside of the next exam, not counting Killua himself, was Ponzu (bee girl), who like Pokkle (bow guy) got murdered by Ants.

People who passed that exam were the main characters (minus Killua), Hisoka, Illumi, Pokkle, and Hanzo. Also arguably Bodoro but not really because Killua killed him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've always wondered what Hanzo did to get such high scores during the Hunter Exams. His actions during the badge collecting test was literally trailing his target until Killua got to them first, and then grabbing the wrong badge cause Killua knew he was waiting, and then being forced to beat up 2 other dudes to get enough point. I don't deny he's badass, but I really wanna see more of him, and also for him not to die.

Given that this is Togashi, I assume that only one of the two will happen.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I've always wondered what Hanzo did to get such high scores during the Hunter Exams. His actions during the badge collecting test was literally trailing his target until Killua got to them first, and then grabbing the wrong badge cause Killua knew he was waiting, and then being forced to beat up 2 other dudes to get enough point. I don't deny he's badass, but I really wanna see more of him, and also for him not to die.

Given that this is Togashi, I assume that only one of the two will happen.

Well, we didn't see much of him outside of that test and the second one where he was the only dude who knew what sushi was. He probably did pretty well in the Tower and such.

Also I thought Killua switching the badges was an anime-only thing, which makes it even funnier in the manga because it was just Hanzo screwing up. It also makes him more impressive in a way because then he stalked Killua without being noticed, which makes me prefer that because it fits with him being a ninja who gives out his own business cards: Super-competent, but also kind of an idiot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Well, we didn't see much of him outside of that test and the second one where he was the only dude who knew what sushi was. He probably did pretty well in the Tower and such.

Also I thought Killua switching the badges was an anime-only thing, which makes it even funnier in the manga because it was just Hanzo screwing up. It also makes him more impressive in a way because then he stalked Killua without being noticed, which makes me prefer that because it fits with him being a ninja who gives out his own business cards: Super-competent, but also kind of an idiot.

And then it turns out his Nen ability is something utterly un-Ninja-like

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
2 week hiatus due to back pain :(

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-20/hunter-x-hunter-manga-goes-on-2-week-hiatus-due-to-back-pain/.77790

Get well soon

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...

"back pain" yeah sure

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Your back does hurt when you're hunched over playing Dragon Quest all day.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

this motherfucker

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Considering that no previous hiatus was ever for that specific a reason, I'm minded to believe it. Guy's old. Whatever his usual deal is, it probably doesn't preclude back problems.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

TNG posted:

Your back does hurt when you're hunched over playing Dragon Quest all day.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Is this where we make a nen contract with ourselves and punch Togashi until more chapters come out

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Do this Togashi
1. Stop writing the manga
2. Write storyboards
3. Send them to the anime team

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Togashi's nen power should be to create a duplicate of himself that can draw HxH while he's playing Dragon Quest.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
His duplicate would just start playing Dragon Quest, too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shukaro posted:

Do this Togashi
1. Stop writing the manga
2. Write storyboards
3. Send them to the anime team

Just get some assistants to draw it and storyboard it even

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nahxela posted:

His duplicate would just start playing Dragon Quest, too.

Then the duplicate should also develop nen powers to create a second duplicate.

Repeat this process several times.

The newest duplicate will always be weaker than the one that created it, thus lessening the desire to play DQ. Do this enough times and we'll have a Togashi duplicate who doesn't want to play DQ.

On the downside that duplicate will draw like poo poo but it's okay, it'll just be like parts of Chimera Island or the Greed Island celebration party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Great! At some point we'll get a duplicate that can only draw extremely well-rendered turkeys and we're pretty much golden.

• Locked thread