Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hm, figured the challenge tombs were going to just be from the main menu. I'm always a fan of context.

I did get the season pass because I'm an idiot but I'm probably going to wait until there's more than 1 extra thing to play before I reinstall the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah these are the DLC tombs that come with the season pass.

Did the new area in about an hour front to back, it was pretty cool. Don't make the same mistake I did and just select it from the Challenge Tomb list first, it actually exists in the world as a side mission. It's cool that Abby plays a larger role in this quest since I liked her from the main game. Overall I give it 4/5. I have become the Tomb Rater.
Where do you go to get started?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The mission starts in Kuwaq Yaqu(sp?).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The mission starts in Kuwaq Yaqu(sp?).
I saw that. Do I need to go find Abby or something though. Admittedly I only looked for a few minutes last night before going to bed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The side mission pops up on your menu screen when you first zone in, and if you click on it then hitting Survival Instincts will tell you exactly where to go. It starts with an old lady near the middle of the town.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm suddenly having my sound disappear completely for a while in the area where you enter the mini-dungeon for the first piece of the "key" to the new challenge tomb, weird.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I want much larger tombs. I want that horrifying blade palace thing from TR4. Enough secret societies, just let me push some drat switches.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Some qualms! Anyone else find that the game slowly turned more and more into camera-hijacking and too-long cinematics the longer the game went on? Also why in any game would they think it's a good idea to have long sections where you just hold W to follow someone through an area while they narrate at you?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
It got bad enough that I bound one of my mouse thumb buttons to a 4x speed hack. Which is also surprisingly doable for most of the actual gameplay.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
This is about a previous game, Rise of the Tomb Raider (played via steam on PC). I'm getting into a weird bug on a section of the game where I can't disengage from the interactive object (that spins an object I need to move to progress to the next room), even when the object is in position. I've watched a youtube video where the guy gets it to the same position and is able to disengage. I've hit every key on my keyboard and tried it in every position I can think of, and I've tried manipulating foreign objects or conditions prior to using the item - I still can't disengage, even after several cold reloads. Here is a screenshot of where I am stuck. Am I missing something completely obvious? I haven't played the game much lately so I thought I was just forgetting a key, but it really doesn't seem that way - the use button should have done it regardless. Am I just boned? Do I uninstall and start another game?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This is about a previous game, Rise of the Tomb Raider (played via steam on PC). I'm getting into a weird bug on a section of the game where I can't disengage from the interactive object (that spins an object I need to move to progress to the next room), even when the object is in position. I've watched a youtube video where the guy gets it to the same position and is able to disengage. I've hit every key on my keyboard and tried it in every position I can think of, and I've tried manipulating foreign objects or conditions prior to using the item - I still can't disengage, even after several cold reloads. Here is a screenshot of where I am stuck. Am I missing something completely obvious? I haven't played the game much lately so I thought I was just forgetting a key, but it really doesn't seem that way - the use button should have done it regardless. Am I just boned? Do I uninstall and start another game?

Try the crouch/scramble button. IIRC its mapped to "C" on the keyboard by default, same is true for Shadow/2013. For whatever reason the key to interact with something, and the key to stop interacting with that something have been different in all 3 games and it is confusing as hell if you haven't played in a while.

Otherwise I think there is a backup save stored somewhere... Should be: \Steam\userdata\XXXXXXXX\391220\remote\
Back them all up into a zip archive before you start, then try renaming lastcamp to lastauto and it should revert you to the last campsite you visited. You should probably do that while the game is already running at the main menu (alt-tab out) in order to avoid steam's automatic cloud sync from undoing it when you launch the game.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 22, 2018

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Indiana_Krom posted:

Try the crouch/scramble button. IIRC its mapped to "C" on the keyboard by default, same is true for Shadow/2013. For whatever reason the key to interact with something, and the key to stop interacting with that something have been different in all 3 games and it is confusing as hell if you haven't played in a while.

Otherwise I think there is a backup save stored somewhere... Should be: \Steam\userdata\XXXXXXXX\391220\remote\
Back them all up into a zip archive before you start, then try renaming lastcamp to lastauto and it should revert you to the last campsite you visited. You should probably do that while the game is already running at the main menu (alt-tab out) in order to avoid steam's automatic cloud sync from undoing it when you launch the game.

... gently caress my life, somehow C was the button I never pressed? I was hitting every letter key on the keyboard, I swear to god. But now it's fine, thank you. Jesus

e: and i immediately blew myself up at the next puzzle. oh man how long has it been since i played this game?

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 22, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t remember if it was that specific crank but I remember having to google the same thing at some point. Most of the time the game takes Lara off the point automatically when you’re done with it and up until that point I never had to do it myself.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

ROTTR is still my favorite Tomb Raider game, I'm not sure I could explain why. It's one of like 2 games ever that I 100%/platinumed (outside of some steam achievements that are really easy to 100% for some games) with the other one being HZD. I've never cared enough to for anything else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

ROTTR is still my favorite Tomb Raider game, I'm not sure I could explain why. It's one of like 2 games ever that I 100%/platinumed (outside of some steam achievements that are really easy to 100% for some games) with the other one being HZD. I've never cared enough to for anything else.

:same::negative:

I can tell you why though. It's because of Endurance Mode. :negative::negative:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
My favourite is Underworld, I liked the first reboot series much better before the game turned into Uncharted. Too bad Eidos got bribed by Microsoft to keep the TRU DLC Xbox exclusive :argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Picked this up on sale and loving it a lot so far. But I already missed at least 3 collectable things in the tutorial zone. I assume I can go back soon?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I forget when exactly the prologue zone becomes available again but you can definitely fast travel back there at some point.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

precision posted:

Picked this up on sale and loving it a lot so far. But I already missed at least 3 collectable things in the tutorial zone. I assume I can go back soon?

I believe the only place that you can't go back to is the flashback part.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

You can return to any zone where there are collectibles, you might not even have the tool to get them yet. I don't remember exactly when you can, it may be as soon as you're able to fast travel in fact.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Piell posted:

I believe the only place that you can't go back to is the flashback part.

And thankfully those collectibles do not count towards 100% completion.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Another person who just got Tomb Raider '13 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Rise question: I missed a couple of things in Syria (the very first relic before you even enter the Prophet's Tomb and missed one of the challenge items), will I be able to go back there if I want to 100% the game?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Another person who just got Tomb Raider '13 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Rise question: I missed a couple of things in Syria (the very first relic before you even enter the Prophet's Tomb and missed one of the challenge items), will I be able to go back there if I want to 100% the game?

Yes. Even if you beat the game first you can return to the main map and fast travel back to Syria.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

orcane posted:

My favourite is Underworld, I liked the first reboot series much better before the game turned into Uncharted. Too bad Eidos got bribed by Microsoft to keep the TRU DLC Xbox exclusive :argh:

I actually really liked Legend and Underworld, and was madly disappointed with Anniversary. I remember being really disappointed that they gutted the Atlantis level.

Anyways, just started this, and so far I think I prefer Rise a bit more. But I think that was because it came with all the DLC so I didn't have to focus on collecting a bunch of stuff. But we will see. I think my patience with these "treasure hunting" games are getting to its limit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so i bought the game on sale. i havent played it yet, kinda hope it has enough combat because of what others have said. I thought rise for all its issues had the best balance between combat and exploration/puzzles.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Shooting deer and boars counts as combat, right?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The middle section in Paititi is where the game is light on combat, so if you wanna keep killing things you could rush the story at that point to the murder-happy third act.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
In general, there's barely any combat. So don't hope for too much.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah they finally catered to the complaints about Lara killing a trillion dudes in the first game, they just forgot to add in more game to replace all the combat they took out.

It's pretty hilarious in retrospect since it's the most refined and entertaining the combat in the reboot trilogy has ever been. Wanna smear mud all over myself and string pmc dudes up like the Predator all day long. And also I wish the new Tomb Raider game had more combat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So the next tomb I think? dropped today. I do have the season pass but since I'm waiting for there to be more than just a few hours of stuff to play through before I reinstall the whole thing I'm curious if anything knows if there's a difference between the "challenge tombs" and "narrative side missions" the store page on Steam advertises? The first tomb was dropped into the main game as a "side mission" someone said in this thread so I'm wondering if they doubled up on their features ("7 challenge tombs which are also our narrative side missions!").

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
With the latest patches my game has started crashing everywhere, especially when finishing tombs or generally while switching/entering new areas, it's really annoying. Before season pass content came out I spent dozens of hours playing through the main story and the game crashed like twice.

Also I think the season pass challenge tombs are not that great, they're longer than vanilla tombs, true, but that just means they get extremely repetitive with their one or two gimmicks each.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So uh, I got a chance to try out the Tomb Raider arcade cabinet the other day and well, I guess the Tomb Raider arcade cabinet is a thing that exists. It's a pretty standard quarter-gobbling light gun game, where you follow Lara around Yamatai and roughly follow the story of the first game while shooting wolves and cultists. We only played a couple of levels because once you run into human enemies it gets much harder to avoid taking damage and we didn't want to spend twenty dollars on low res Tomb Raider.

Couple things I found interesting: how popular it was. We seriously had to wait for three different families to cycle through a few rounds to get a play in. I'm sure Sunday afternoon is a busy time for the arcade as it's a day off for most adults and it's all ages during the day. Lots of young parents with kids in the 4-10 range which makes sense. You can give your kid a handful of quarters and enjoy all day happy hour, if I was a parent this would absolutely be my Sunday jam. The other thing was that there was at least a small amount of care put into the game. Camillia Luddington appears to have recorded custom lines for it (or they got a really good soundalike) and there are bonus items to shoot in the levels that people who have actually played the reboot game will recognize as the challenges.

The guns are really finicky and it's really difficult to precision aim though, which really hurts the game when you start fighting human enemies that shoot back, because it's really hard to get headshots.

Anyway just thought I would share this in here, figured there might be a couple people amused by such a thing existing in 2019.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 12, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Neato, season pass is on sale at GMG for 29.99 $18.80 (-37%) https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-season-pass-pc, think I'm gonna scoop that and be my excuse to see how the game runs now that I've bumped from a 2500k to a 2600x.

PS That's p cool DrNutt

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Finally got around to this and am surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. Definitely my favourite of the recent trilogy.

Now that the Season Pass content is all out there, any opinions on whether it's worth getting? I liked the Challenge Tombs, but is there any story in the DLC content?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Finally got around to this and am surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. Definitely my favourite of the recent trilogy.

Now that the Season Pass content is all out there, any opinions on whether it's worth getting? I liked the Challenge Tombs, but is there any story in the DLC content?

There's a little bit of story in each of the lead-ins to the tombs. Some of them are just kind of there, some of them are pretty cool and add in some more combat + platforming sections. Overall I'd say the DLC tombs have been fun to load up and spend an hour in here and there every couple months.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh the season pass done? I was waiting for it to finish before playing whatever they released.

Looking at the DLC list I guess the main stuff is The Forge, The Pillar, The Nightmare, Price of Survival, Serpent’s Heart, Grand Caiman, and Path Home.

I’m assuming there’s no real order to play them in, though Path Home sounds like a finale of sorts.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like season pass still half or so off at GMG too https://www.cheapshark.com/search?q=shadow%20tomb%20raider%20season

I bought the pass a month or two ago and think it'll be another month or two before I actually get around to re-installing :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Here's a question regarding this game. I recently upgraded my PC. I reinstalled this game to test it out. Every other part of the game runs perfect at max settings, except for the main hub village which dips well below 50fps if outside at all (it's fine in the caves). Is it just because it's so densely packed with NPCs and poo poo?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 3, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah Paititi will run a good 15-20fps lower, it's very VRAM hungry and has huge draw distances at max settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also make sure to run the game in DX12 in case you're not doing that yet, it's one of very few games that actually run better that way because it has insane CPU overhead in DX11 mode (and the cities is where this can be really noticeable).