Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
goose dog

Did I post that one before? Idk, how about this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Alamoduh posted:

goose dog
omg look at this perfect little goober

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh alright alright, I'll give him a treat for judging him too harshly! :shobon:

Radiation Cow posted:

Also, is it just the light or are his shoulders and legs also going grey?

Heh, yep! He seems to be going grey EVERYWHERE, these days! Grey neck, grey shoulders, grey legs, grey chest... soon he'll no longer be classified as 'black brindle' and will be white!

actionjackson posted:

73% of the :D emote usage on the entire forums is from isoor

hahah yeah, I suspect you may be right there! Same for another forum I used to be on, which died around when I came to SA. I was suspected to have monopolised the :D market there, too

Also, that's an adorable little pup you have there, Alamoduh! :3:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Love the pictures!

Lola is finally adopted by us, and now that she's ours we've decided to change her name to Ella because a combination of rude comments, her not listening very much to Lola, the possibility of there being bad associations to the name for her as well as wanting a clean slate. She's taken to Ella super well and is very good at listening to it. We are careful not to nag her using her name or using it for telling her off etc. She decided to reward her new owners with a big poo poo on our living room floor which she's never done before. :) No idea why she decided this was a good idea, but I blame the weather (cold and very windy).
She is becoming more playful by the day, and we've started to see some of the front legs shuffle starting to happen, which is hilarious to watch her do.

Bit of a bad experience with the shelter people though as they are clearly well meaning amateurs, but the badly worded contract we had to sign really showed this aspect and they didn't take questions about it and suggestions very well (because they couldn't understand what the problem was). Even some semi-snide comments by the woman handling the contract. No choice but to sign when we've already invested heavily emotionally. Just found it unprofessional and a bit sketchy.

Either way, the dog is ours now and we are very happy, and so is she:

Checkup at the vet (everything was great!). She was suspicious and my wife had to carry her through most of the doors:

The many different ways of sleeping:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Looks like Ella's settling right in. What were the rude comments about Lola, if you don't mind me asking?

Front leg shuffle is indeed the best.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Congratulations! She’s adorable. “Rude comments” :mad:

BTW a Martingale collar isn’t really designed to be worn all the time. That big ring on it can get caught on a lot of stuff which is especially dangerous if you leave her alone.

Katie has a second collar without a ring that she wears all the time (I searched for “house collar”). This has her ID tag on it which is flat so it doesn’t get caught on anything.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I see your blanketed snoot, I have one of those too!

More pictures:

Very good at bed

Bonus Ghost dog:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie has started to tug a bit with her toys too; I didn’t think greyhounds were big on that. I read somewhere you weren’t supposed to encourage tug-of-war with them but I don’t remember why (leads to possessiveness, maybe?)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

david_a posted:

Katie has started to tug a bit with her toys too; I didn’t think greyhounds were big on that. I read somewhere you weren’t supposed to encourage tug-of-war with them but I don’t remember why (leads to possessiveness, maybe?)

Tug is a great game for any dog! Retired racers might not understand at first and think you're trying to take their toy, but follow your dog's lead. If they seem happy pulling and aren't growling at you or nipping, they aren't being posessive. Only you can know your dog in your situation.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ours immediately lets go and then leaves to do something else because you took his toy.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bamhand posted:

Ours immediately lets go and then leaves to do something else because you took his toy.
brb reporting you to the hague

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NomNomNom posted:

Tug is a great game for any dog! Retired racers might not understand at first and think you're trying to take their toy, but follow your dog's lead. If they seem happy pulling and aren't growling at you or nipping, they aren't being posessive. Only you can know your dog in your situation.

Ok. I’ve only seen Katie do it when I bounce around one of her stuffed animals and she snatches it. She gets her goofy playface on and seems very happy

Completely different to my parent’s terrier who will dump a toy in your lap, stare at you until you start playing with her, and then growl nonstop while tugging

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah you have to understand your dog's emotional state. Growling isn't inherently bad, sometimes it just means they're getting into it. If you tug then stop and they come back to you, "offering" the toy, safe to say they enjoy the tugging and see it as play. If they walk off and try to shield you from it they may be guarding. But if they bounce away and then watch you, they might be trying to get you to chase. It's all about context and signaling.

Teedo loves shredding cardboard and his favorite thing is us holding a piece while he tugs off little bites of it

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

Congratulations! She’s adorable. “Rude comments” :mad:

BTW a Martingale collar isn’t really designed to be worn all the time. That big ring on it can get caught on a lot of stuff which is especially dangerous if you leave her alone.

Katie has a second collar without a ring that she wears all the time (I searched for “house collar”). This has her ID tag on it which is flat so it doesn’t get caught on anything.

Radiation Cow posted:

Looks like Ella's settling right in. What were the rude comments about Lola, if you don't mind me asking?

Front leg shuffle is indeed the best.

Ah thanks for the tip! Will be taking it off more, especially now when she's more active inside! Yeah need to get some more collars and good ID badges etc, thanks for the link. I'll see if I can find something similar without ordering from the US, but good to have something to reference. :) . Also thinking of putting an AirTag or something (with the bleeping sound turned off) on her collar just in case.

The rude comments were people insisting on telling us that Lola sounds like a prostitute, which is a pretty pointless comment about a dog but ok. Either way, feels nice to have our own name. Fresh start etc.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah you have to understand your dog's emotional state. Growling isn't inherently bad, sometimes it just means they're getting into it. If you tug then stop and they come back to you, "offering" the toy, safe to say they enjoy the tugging and see it as play. If they walk off and try to shield you from it they may be guarding. But if they bounce away and then watch you, they might be trying to get you to chase. It's all about context and signaling.

Teedo loves shredding cardboard and his favorite thing is us holding a piece while he tugs off little bites of it
Save your toilet roll tubes, put a treat inside and either stuff with paper or crimp down the open ends.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Save your toilet roll tubes, put a treat inside and either stuff with paper or crimp down the open ends.

We already do this, packing it with kibble and crimping the end.

he still prefers cardboard we're holding after he's got all the kibble. Cookie will shred hers herself

My floor looks like the aftermath of a firework show lol

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ah thanks for the tip! Will be taking it off more, especially now when she's more active inside! Yeah need to get some more collars and good ID badges etc, thanks for the link. I'll see if I can find something similar without ordering from the US, but good to have something to reference. :) . Also thinking of putting an AirTag or something (with the bleeping sound turned off) on her collar just in case.

The rude comments were people insisting on telling us that Lola sounds like a prostitute, which is a pretty pointless comment about a dog but ok. Either way, feels nice to have our own name. Fresh start etc.

Prostitute, lol. Glad she likes her new name anyway.

Is she microchipped?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA *treat*

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

Prostitute, lol. Glad she likes her new name anyway.

Is she microchipped?

Yup, and insured. :)

skoolmunkee posted:

ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA *treat*

She's down to mostly one Ella now! Even outside on walks. Super proud of her. :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

did I already post about trent reznor doing greyhound rescue, I think so

anyway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
"Greyhounds don't like the cold" :geno:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

actionjackson posted:

did I already post about trent reznor doing greyhound rescue, I think so

anyway

I read something a while ago that said Greyhounds are pretty gothic and I realised after they really are. They basically look like a skeleton, if you get them to sit still like look a little aloof, and they have a 1,000 mile stare.

DarkHorse posted:

He's probably wondering who tore up all this toilet paper outside before he could.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

He's probably wondering who tore up all this toilet paper outside before he could.

:hmmyes:

I've just become resigned to finding little bits of paper and cardboard everywhere

Thankfully he's started helping clean them up because I bribe him with kibble for every one he brings

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
We got caught in the ice storm here in KY. Katie is not a fan of precipitation of any kind; however when went out an hour ago she was super happy to walk. I wanted to see if she would run around with the goats but the gate latch is covered in ice.

Unfortunately I have to venture out soon; I think my parents dog has a dead tooth so I’m taking her to the vet. I probably wouldn’t have noticed unless I had a greyhound since I pay attention to Katie’s teeth a lot. From reading I think she’ll need a root canal which doesn’t seem that bad for her.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Oh wow you're in KY? I'm in the Cincinnati area, we got hit too

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Classic TODD

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Tubbs will lay in the snow after a few minutes of running and you can practically hear the steam coming off his bare belly

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkHorse posted:

Oh wow you're in KY? I'm in the Cincinnati area, we got hit too

My parents live in KY; I’ve been here two weeks since my mom was diagnosed with cancer. On Sunday Katie and I will brave the roads back up to Indiana.

Apparently poor little Lucy needs to have a tooth pulled. Supposedly the front teeth aren’t that important?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

My parents live in KY; I’ve been here two weeks since my mom was diagnosed with cancer. On Sunday Katie and I will brave the roads back up to Indiana.

Apparently poor little Lucy needs to have a tooth pulled. Supposedly the front teeth aren’t that important?

Good luck with the drive! Boudicca has had most of her teeth pulled - her previous owner really didn't look after her well - and she's completely fine. We still give her normal kibble with a bit of water, and I don't think they miss their front teeth at all. Heck, she was chomping on her food while her gums will still bleeding from the removal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

Good luck with the drive! Boudicca has had most of her teeth pulled - her previous owner really didn't look after her well - and she's completely fine. We still give her normal kibble with a bit of water, and I don't think they miss their front teeth at all. Heck, she was chomping on her food while her gums will still bleeding from the removal.

yeah Abby had almost no front teeth (the really small ones) at the end, but all the chewing and grinding is with the molars and canines so it's not really an issue

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Josie only uses her wee front teeth to do gentle nibbles on her toys sometimes.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
TODD gives us lots of nips and love bites. He's way mouthier that Sparty ever was

But no the only important ones for pets are the molars, and even that can be mitigated with soft food

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

A tale of two sisters

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

TODD gives us lots of nips and love bites. He's way mouthier that Sparty ever was

But no the only important ones for pets are the molars, and even that can be mitigated with soft food

the large canines at the front are used for grasping iirc

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah the primary purpose of canines is to grab and hold onto prey, they're king and piercing to puncture and hold on

For a pet they're not super crucial besides playing tug

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah the primary purpose of canines is to grab and hold onto prey, they're king and piercing to puncture and hold on

For a pet they're not super crucial besides playing tug

And for getting a good grip while stealing food from counter tops that their heads casually just reach up to and you've forgotten you have a giraffe dog.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Radiation Cow posted:

A tale of two sisters

I AM DOG, HELLO I AM ALSO DOG

I SNOOF

SNOOF SNOOF

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

And for getting a good grip while stealing food from counter tops that their heads casually just reach up to and you've forgotten you have a giraffe dog.

TODD I'm convinced is part anteater

Just this long wiggly tongue slurping up from outta nowhere

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Having some trouble uploading the original, but here’s the link entitled: “when you really don’t want to share your stick but you do anyway.”

https://imgur.com/a/5OCBC3R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

I AM DOG, HELLO I AM ALSO DOG

I SNOOF

SNOOF SNOOF

Yes. Exactly what happened. Except SNOOF SNOOF quickly turned into SCARF SCARF as she found the open treat bag.