Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Worse for who? Like if you dont think the pack is good value for money (which it obviously isn't because it's paying for progress in a gacha game) you shouldn't buy it.

I'm basically trying to understand the angle of your criticism here. If paying players get more stuff in a game where they compete with free players, is it better/worse if they get less/more stuff for their money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think people are sort of confounded because you've taken a simple, true, statement "they nerfed the rewards for various things" and spun it off into some weird discussion about relativism and how nothing really matters.

I guess the rewards for the existing content is still the same, but if e.g. chapters 1-10 gave you 10 pulls each and then they added a new chapter 11 that gives 5 pulls for the same amount of content I think it's fair to call that "nerfing the rewards [for completing a chapter]".

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Rewards and resources absolutely don't matter though, and its vacuous to use their increases/decreases as a meaningful measure of a game's quality. It's like judging a sonic game based on how many rings you get to collect.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hit button posted:

Rewards and resources absolutely don't matter though, and its vacuous to use their increases/decreases as a meaningful measure of a game's quality. It's like judging a sonic game based on how many rings you get to collect.

What the gently caress.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I don't play this game but presumably resources gate content(using more characters). So it's not like rings in a Sonic game.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
slot machine game enjoyer arguing that slot machine pulls overrated

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

No, it's pretty trivial to obtain all the characters and experience the game's content. The resources are a power progression system, not unlocking content.

Good Citizen posted:

slot machine game enjoyer arguing that slot machine pulls overrated
I mean, yeah. I only play gacha games that are good games, not because they're slot machines. I kind of assumed that was the consensus in here?

hit button fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 13, 2024

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

hit button posted:

I mean, yeah. I only play gacha games that are good games, not because they're slot machines. I kind of assumed that was the consensus in here?

Nah I just like gambling and huge anime titties

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

hit button posted:

gacha games are objectively worse in all ways than normal games in terms of gameplay, the reason you are playing is the pleasure of building your collection + progressing in the game. if you take those away what reason is there to continue playing

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I dont have an angle of criticism. My interest was piqued when people were defending Lillith's changes, so I wanted to know if the changes were good or bad. They still sound bad, and so far, I haven't seen a counterargument that isn't copium

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Indecisive posted:

gacha games are objectively worse in all ways than normal games in terms of gameplay, the reason you are playing is the pleasure of building your collection + progressing in the game. if you take those away what reason is there to continue playing

Depends on the games, they tend to be better than other f2p mobile games which often have a lot more pay-to-progress or timegating with pay-to-skip-this-wait or annoying ad spam. Though it depends on the gacha game also, some are more involved while others are just designed for you to autobattle through everything.

e: addendum: they're better than other f2p mobile games as long as you're not one of the gambling addicts they're designed to prey on

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Depends on the games, they tend to be better than other f2p mobile games which often have a lot more pay-to-progress or timegating with pay-to-skip-this-wait or annoying ad spam. Though it depends on the gacha game also, some are more involved while others are just designed for you to autobattle through everything.

Yeah, they're better, in my opinion, than the timer based stuff like that at least used to dominate the western f2p mobile space. I don't know if I'd go as far as "objectively worse in all ways" vs. non-f2p stuff but I agree with the spirit of Indecisive's post. When I was a kid I liked opening packs of pokemon/mtg cards and now I play these. So much of the appeal is growing your army of cool/powerful/rare dudes and the non-trivial acquisition is a part of that. The nice part is that unlike TCGs you can get quite a lot of content in these for free if you're disciplined about it (and pick the right game).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nerfing the gem/pull currency income is insane even if they didnt take away the initial stuff you got lol. its a scummy way to try and force people to pay after they got used to being able to roll the amount they wer.e

hit button posted:

rewards and resources do matter tho. new characters are half the reason people play, theyre fun to play with and they change up teambuilding. obviously as a gacha game you arent going to get every new character but reducing the amount of new characters people can get directly reduces the amount of options people have. more options = more fun.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I got bored of AFK Journey after about a week when the it devolved into "collect your daily ration of purple dust and then do some chores" with the long-term horizon being "collect a million duplicates to make your characters work properly".

Unrelatedly, I am curious about Wuthering Waves but I don't know if I have enough room in my gacha-brain for it in addition to Genshin and Star Rail. It seems like the combat might be a bit more crunchy and interesting than Genshin so maybe has some legs on that front, but it will have to be exceptionally generous and casual friendly. I have already written off ZZZ because the very focused corridor combat gameplay seems like it will get very tedious if I don't feel like playing it every single day. Unironically my willingness to play WW will probably depend mostly on how annoying it is to passively collect my daily gemeralds (assuming the game is good in the first place).

Scoss fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 13, 2024

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just have genshin mostly out of inertia at this point even with my many complaints about it, and Nikke which I am 100% in deep on in large part for story reasons but also liking the characters. It's nice having a very quick daily clear and no stamina to worry about so I can just do a quick clear over lunch or chunk out some time for main or bond story stuff in the evening when I feel like it. They've also apparently said recently that the events and story up through the current chapter are all just prologue. Genuinely more excited for updates on it than any game in recent memory, gacha or not, just because I'm invested in the story and characters.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Wuthering waves looks neat but also its gear grind sounds even worse than Genshin's which is a big part of why i quit that game.

• kill random mobs spawns around the map for equipment drops (echoes), this part isn't stamina gated but it is time gated due to monsters respawning daily, and different monsters will drop echoes with different sets & "costs" so you've gotta farm specific ones to get the echo you want
  • apparently there are very few of the elite mobs that drop each 3-cost echo on the map
  • each echo has a random main stat
  • each echo also gets random sub stats
  • the substats also have random ranges for their values
  • you can't even see what the substats are until you (a) level them up using xp materials you farm with stamina and then (b) spend "tuners", which you also farm with stamina, to reveal the hidden substats

in the end i guess it all depends on what the rates are for getting "good enough" gear
still i really hate gear/stat-farming rng and wish there were deterministic upgrade systems instead

kater
Nov 16, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

I dont have an angle of criticism. My interest was piqued when people were defending Lillith's changes, so I wanted to know if the changes were good or bad. They still sound bad, and so far, I haven't seen a counterargument that isn't copium

What changes.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I didn't like Genshin Impact, but I'm still going to give Wuthering Waves a poke even though it has a similar action-based gameplay style.

It's going to have to be super-good to be in my regular rotation though, since I'm already playing three other games (Granblue Fantasy/Arknights/Star Rail).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Wuthering waves looks neat but also its gear grind sounds even worse than Genshin's which is a big part of why i quit that game.

• kill random mobs spawns around the map for equipment drops (echoes), this part isn't stamina gated but it is time gated due to monsters respawning daily, and different monsters will drop echoes with different sets & "costs" so you've gotta farm specific ones to get the echo you want
  • apparently there are very few of the elite mobs that drop each 3-cost echo on the map
  • each echo has a random main stat
  • each echo also gets random sub stats
  • the substats also have random ranges for their values
  • you can't even see what the substats are until you (a) level them up using xp materials you farm with stamina and then (b) spend "tuners", which you also farm with stamina, to reveal the hidden substats

in the end i guess it all depends on what the rates are for getting "good enough" gear
still i really hate gear/stat-farming rng and wish there were deterministic upgrade systems instead

that sounds absolutely disgusting, but we'll see

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i will probably poke WW for the 1 week before ZZZ comes out and then drop it like the trash it is

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Meowywitch posted:

that sounds absolutely disgusting, but we'll see

Well reportedly enough people complained about it during the beta that Kuro Games said they'd tweak the system.
Game launches May 24th though so I wouldn't expect huge changes.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

WW's localization also does not look particularly great considering how much money they've poured into it. Add that into their Discord message looking for fans who were willing to help localize for free and it doesn't paint an amazing picture.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Ibblebibble posted:

WW's localization also does not look particularly great considering how much money they've poured into it. Add that into their Discord message looking for fans who were willing to help localize for free and it doesn't paint an amazing picture.

So Tower of Fantasy again?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Add that into their Discord message looking for fans who were willing to help localize for free and it doesn't paint an amazing picture.

...nevermind, I think I'll stay away from this game. Localization freeloading is gross.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Definitely not the behavior I'd expect from any remotely credible, professional company

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be clear they were just asking for proofreaders, not people literally translating the raw text. it was basically just offering free beta access in exchange for focusing on the eng text.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Not exactly on topic but speaking of genshin gear systems I can’t believe that’s what diablo 4 is going with as their big season update. Like… I unno they’ve never seen the like one complaint anyone has about it? They are adding resetting and trying the gamble again but lol.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I got an ad for Snowbreak Containment Zone it seemed cool looking? Absolutely never heard of it before.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Indecisive posted:

i will probably poke WW for the 1 week before ZZZ comes out and then drop it like the trash it is

I thought zzz was in july

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Afk games are the worse gacha games because there's no actual gameplay involved. Spending money is dumb in afk games because the $200 you spend on this month's special deals will be completely invalidated by next month's $200 worth of deals due to the constant power creep that needs to be introduced because the entire point is to make your combat power number go up up up. If you can do it f2p that's great, but the game isn't for you. It's for the people who have no issue dropping $5000+ a month every month for all months.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

kater posted:

I got an ad for Snowbreak Containment Zone it seemed cool looking? Absolutely never heard of it before.

I think that's the one that was saved by going super horny to the point that they're going back and removing male NPCs from the early chapters

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I played it for a few days a while back before the devs went insane and it was "OK" but not particularly engaging. Definitely not worth getting invested in these days now though lol.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

cirus posted:

I think that's the one that was saved by going super horny to the point that they're going back and removing male NPCs from the early chapters

That sounds so wild to me

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah it's a third person shooter game (unique concept!) but the shooting part was meh enough to turn off most of their initial gameplay-focused players so they refocused on the waifu crowd

They recently changed their age rating in china to 18+ so they could add hornier $20 skins

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Looks like Lilith caved and are making sure the rewards are going to be comparable to the launch content.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gamers ftw

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i think snowbreak was fun, shooter is a rare genre for gacha and it played alright, but the story and artstyle were pretty 'meh' and couldn't keep me interested

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Yeah. I played briefly when it launched because a third person shooter was unique but past the novelty it was an unremarkable, by-the-numbers gacha.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

TV Zombie posted:

That sounds so wild to me

This was foretold on the very same page my friend

Good Citizen posted:

Nah I just like gambling and huge anime titties

As someone who has worked in this stupid f2p industry for a decade+ now, lemme shoot straight. The above statement is the one real god of gacha. It always performs better. Turns out degens like both gambling and huge anime titties. And the rest of us can just get some occasionally good games out of the process that they subsidize for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Indecisive posted:

For me it's gonna come down to which has the cooler parrying