Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
There were so many times I got him down to a sliver of health where one or two whacks with my untransformed +10 ludwigs holy blade at level 160 would've killed him but chased him down for a minute even when his HP was down to nothing, his speed and ability to parry left me hosed. I literally had no blood vials and barely any health when I beat him, chasing him around when he only had like literally 10 HP left. God drat, the old hunter bone with unlimited bullets would be nice to have.. I don't ever use it because it only lasts like 10 seconds it seems and uses way too many bullets for how long it lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Bloody Crow is a much more fun, satisfying battle on NG+. Gives fairly respectable rewards, too.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Finally hit 90 ARC running dungeons and holy poo poo, HMS and arcane tools trivialise so much stuff. Beat defiled hotdog with laser beam R2 attacks without getting hit, then chumped Amy with the gloves :feelsgood:

Fire saw spear is also holding up surprisingly well in depth 5 dungeons, got Isz Brainsucker down in 2 combos.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Brainsucker is a chump to elemental (also thrust). But really almost all weapons will do fine in depth 5s if they are fully upgraded and decently gemmed.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
poo poo my build from my first character which I'm still playing with on NG+ is probably a typical build for most BB players, I don't have the game open to check but I know I'm level 172, with like 57 Vit, 40 Endurance (does this increase anything after 40?? Every time I go to put a level up I check to see if it will increase anything but it doesn't), 50 or like 52 strength, 48-49 Skill, 8 Bloodtinge and I think 18 or 19 arcane which was only so I could use basic arcane stuff, seems like a waste at this point to try to level arcane up more since I'm basically a Strength/Skill build.

If I do a new character I'm going to try Arcane/Skill or something (I can't see any bloodtinge build being enjoyable for me), since I've realized how much arcane can wreck enemies, shame it's only useful v late game or on NG+, they should give out more arcane stuff around the time you've beaten Amelia so you have incentive to actually use it if you play on just playing NG.

And yeah thrust is key to brainsuckers, I couldn't believe I didn't realize they took 2 insight off you with the brainsucking attack until like NG+ and I lost like 6 insight in the upper cathedral area before the Celestial Emissary.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 4, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

END is softcapped sharply at 40, so much so that it looks like individual levels don't increase your stamina, but they do. Going from 40 to 99 END will net you a whole 10 stamina! Level everything else to 50 and ARC to 99 before you level END to 41, basically.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

skasion posted:

Brainsucker is a chump to elemental (also thrust). But really almost all weapons will do fine in depth 5s if they are fully upgraded and decently gemmed.

'Elemental' includes bloodtinge. A Chikage will loving annihilate them.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

What is a good weapon to complement the Holy Moonlight Sword? Currently, I have Strength, Skill, and Arcane at 25. I was planning on taking Strength to 50, but I'm flexible. I've been using the Hunter Axe and Ludwig's Holy Sword, but I'm wanting to branch out a bit.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

skasion posted:

END is softcapped sharply at 40, so much so that it looks like individual levels don't increase your stamina, but they do. Going from 40 to 99 END will net you a whole 10 stamina! Level everything else to 50 and ARC to 99 before you level END to 41, basically.

Stamina usage and regen in this game feels generous to the point where I don't see a reason to go past 20-25 END for PvE. On my last character where I did all the chalices and NG+ I ended up with 80 VIT and 25 END at level ~150, and even past the VIT softcap I felt I was getting more return on the extra health than I would have gotten from more stamina.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

40 endurance and a stamina rune is incredibly helpful. I'm not even sure how that could be up for debate. Heavy weapons still only get a small number of consecutive swings with that much stamina and I don't know why you'd willingly go for anything less.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Maybe it helped that I was using faster weapons? I could do a 5-6 hit string from the Rakuyo or a few big swings with the Church Pick and still have stamina left to dodge. It just never felt like a limiting factor to me, whereas I always wanted more health (especially for the Defiled chalice).

Nibble fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 4, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Time_pants posted:

What is a good weapon to complement the Holy Moonlight Sword? Currently, I have Strength, Skill, and Arcane at 25. I was planning on taking Strength to 50, but I'm flexible. I've been using the Hunter Axe and Ludwig's Holy Sword, but I'm wanting to branch out a bit.

Tonitrus. Most enemies with significant Arcane resistance are Kin, and the untransformed HMS is good against the three outliers, Logarius, Ludwig, and the Orphan.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Darth Walrus posted:

Tonitrus. Most enemies with significant Arcane resistance are Kin, and the untransformed HMS is good against the three outliers, Logarius, Ludwig, and the Orphan.

Cool! If I go with the Tonitrus, is it still advisable to pump Strength to 50?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Time_pants posted:

Cool! If I go with the Tonitrus, is it still advisable to pump Strength to 50?

Absolutely. Just like the HMS, it's a STR/ARC weapon.

A preview of the hilarious poo poo it can do even on NG+2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvgzf_kdZGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IscwQTPPC8c

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Sick. Nasty.

You're a hell of a salesman, because I wasn't even considering it before, but now it looks like it just might be my new favorite backup weapon!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One word of advice - because they're split-damage, the Tonitrus and HMS work best with Nourishing gems, which give a percentage bonus to attack in general rather than specific damage types. FRC Gargoyles and Amygdalas are your best farming options for the very best Nourishing gems - check the internet for good glyphs.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
drat and here I was using pellets like a sucker (then again you clearly had better gems than I did)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwdl2iQi0So

still Living Failures really hate thunder

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Tips for defiled amygdala? I'm doing ok until I get one shotted by a laser or just an unlucky swipe when I get a bit too greedy, but I've only had a couple attempts without preparing really. I'm using bolt paper or I'll use The empty phantasm shell which seems to do quite a bit of damage w Ludwig's holy blade. I summoned the NPC right by the door both times as it seemed to help with the hotdog, but I used him more as bait so I could get up in his rear end and get rally/beasthood up to just destroy him, but w amygdala it seems like there's less time to get in and go after him repeatedly, seems like the strategy is kinda to bait it into lowering its head and get a few hits in, maybe a few on the arms but that's also a bit dangerous and was what killed me the second time or basically one shotted me. So I think summoning isn't a good idea for amygdala cause it makes the boss' health bar higher any time you summon right? As well as just not really being as good to bait it into a position where I can wail on it with beast blood pellets/empty phantasm shell

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao you got hit by the laser

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Try dragging it to one side of the room. Defiled Amygdala is mostly hard because you have pretty much no room to maneuver, so if you back way off and get it to jump after you, you can then run to the other side while it's in the air and you'll have a lot more breathing room while it's against the wall.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
paper or phantasm/pellets isnt gonna do you any good considering how prolonged the usual defiled amy fight is; there's a lot of downtime between the hits
ludwigblade is a good weapon at least, anything long is..
and baiting his attacks is the best method, the head takes the most damage, hitting the arms is good too
the laser's never been too much of a problem for me, and when It jumps you just dont move to avoid getting flattened
it gets dangerous when he rips off his arms, but its still doable

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I have fought Amy like 50 times and have literally never been hit by the laser. Just... move slightly to either side before the explosion hits, come on

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Imhotep posted:

Tips for defiled amygdala? I'm doing ok until I get one shotted by a laser or just an unlucky swipe when I get a bit too greedy, but I've only had a couple attempts without preparing really. I'm using bolt paper or I'll use The empty phantasm shell which seems to do quite a bit of damage w Ludwig's holy blade. I summoned the NPC right by the door both times as it seemed to help with the hotdog, but I used him more as bait so I could get up in his rear end and get rally/beasthood up to just destroy him, but w amygdala it seems like there's less time to get in and go after him repeatedly, seems like the strategy is kinda to bait it into lowering its head and get a few hits in, maybe a few on the arms but that's also a bit dangerous and was what killed me the second time or basically one shotted me. So I think summoning isn't a good idea for amygdala cause it makes the boss' health bar higher any time you summon right? As well as just not really being as good to bait it into a position where I can wail on it with beast blood pellets/empty phantasm shell

Defiled Amy is a defensive fight up until the third phase. During the first two, just hang back and run in for one or two swipes when he’s open. Take it real slow, and keep your distance. It’ll take a longass time, but that’s the best way to avoid getting murdered. During the last phase, run up to his feet and swipe at those and his hands that hang down. When he jumps up, you basically just gotta get used to the timing - luckily it’s not super accurate.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Geez give me some slack, before this I hadnt ever been hit by the laser either but when you're panicking running the other way and trying to mash heal sometimes poo poo happens.., but every attempt after I haven't been hit by it, I just get killed by the slams or the sweep attack which has a sort of unpredictable range, I feel like I was far enough away a few times but still got caught and also I've been unlucky once or twice and rolled right underneath where it landed when it does the jump attack. But yeah I was even disappointed in myself because the laser is easy as gently caress to dodge, it was the big laser too, not the like 4 little ones it shoots.

Also I felt like phantasm isn't too bad to use because I haven't found any other use for bullets when fighting amygdala, I wouldn't think it would be possible to do a visceral with a gun or any other means, or is there?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arcane tools will absolutely stun Amygdala for a visceral, yeah.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Imhotep posted:

Geez give me some slack, before this I hadnt ever been hit by the laser either but when you're panicking running the other way and trying to mash heal sometimes poo poo happens.., but every attempt after I haven't been hit by it, I just get killed by the slams or the sweep attack which has a sort of unpredictable range, I feel like I was far enough away a few times but still got caught and also I've been unlucky once or twice and rolled right underneath where it landed when it does the jump attack. But yeah I was even disappointed in myself because the laser is easy as gently caress to dodge, it was the big laser too, not the like 4 little ones it shoots.

Also I felt like phantasm isn't too bad to use because I haven't found any other use for bullets when fighting amygdala, I wouldn't think it would be possible to do a visceral with a gun or any other means, or is there?

Amy is a large enemy, so you get viscerals by repeatedly doing heavy damage to his head. Fighting him at range by pouring bullets/cannonballs/Gloves/Blacksky Eyes into his skull is an excellent idea.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Amygdala is where you really appreciate the ranged option you intelligently included in your build, or cry softly into your pile of molotovs and bone marrow ash if you didn't

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I didn't spec for ranged attacks on my first playthrough but my strength let me use the cannon, and with the right runes equipped I was able to get off 4 shots with it in my fight. It helped a lot!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Time_pants posted:

Hooooolllllllllllllly poo poo the Undead Giant (club, sickle, and 2Chainz) is sucking my will to live. How in God's name do you deal with this motherfucker? His second phase basically makes him radiate damage. Every time I slip in for an attack, he blows me away with an attack that does like 98% of my health.

Chains Undead Giant sucks, I just poke him once or twice, run away while he twirls around, and repeat.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The cannon is the ranged option for strength builds yes, you basically just don't want to be reduced to molotov man for that stage which means everyone except pure skill builds has something. No good ranged option is the weakness of going pure skill.

The general bloodborne strat on most bosses is to minimize how long you have to spend in the last phase of the fight, which in amygdala's case means ranged attacks. It's pretty doable to melee it down to its last stage since it isn't very fast until then, and after that you go all out on your (relatively) safer ranged attacks. Arcane of course has it easiest here since the gloves can blitz the last stage down in 30 seconds

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The first time I fought Amygdala I just shot her in the face like 12 times with my stockpiled BMA and then visceraled her and she was like at 10%

Defiled Amy my only advice is use a weapon that is long enough that you can hit him in he FACE when he slams, not his arms or his lega//hips.

Amy is a great bossfight to practice unlocked targeting in combat.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Experimenting with Bloodborne's arsenal has been a real treat thus far (although it does make me wish there were a way to respec). What is everyone's favorite weapon in terms of sheer fun-factor? I am a total sucker for dual-wielding paired weapons, and the Blade of Mercy does not disappoint. I love being able to rush into a fight, reel off a quick combo, and politely excuse myself from the exchange with an L2, denying my victim the chance to retort.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Experimenting with Bloodborne's arsenal has been a real treat thus far (although it does make me wish there were a way to respec). What is everyone's favorite weapon in terms of sheer fun-factor? I am a total sucker for dual-wielding paired weapons, and the Blade of Mercy does not disappoint. I love being able to rush into a fight, reel off a quick combo, and politely excuse myself from the exchange with an L2, denying my victim the chance to retort.

beast claws build

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

IIRC Amygdala will get stuck in an easily dodgeable jump loop if you stand right under her crotch. I just did that and taint-reaped her with the church pick for the defiled version.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Time_pants posted:

Why would I ever use silly things like swords or hammers when I have a CHAINSAW. But seriously, the whirligig's move set feels great and I just all around adore the thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Burial blade, saif and rakuyo are the most fun weapons imo. The charged R2 on the burial blade is a strong contender for the most satisfying attack to land in any Souls game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've taken I think 5 different characters through to the depth 5 root content. Every single character with skill ended up using the burial blade whether I was planning on it or not, and every single one that wasn't a skill build became one once I got an uncanny/lost burial blade out of a coffin and couldn't hold back. Because let's be real, 40 levels is a small price to pay for the burial blade

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Blade of Mercy is excellent because of how incredible the sidestep-attack is in both modes.

Transformed Rakuyo overall has my favorite moveset though. It's the only weapon I've used where every button felt useful, and having the L2 be a contextual combo-ender is a nice touch.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

So far the one I've had the most fun with is either the stake driver, which was a fun, challenging, and distinct take on all the fist weapons from the souls series, or the boom hammer. It's a hammer that explodes! I like how you can include the ignition hits in your combos, very neat for a non-transforming weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I need some help in Upper Cathedral Ward(but not Celestial Emissary), cause gently caress UCW Brain Suckers

Will be ringing at the lantern, and the password is kosm

• Locked thread