Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I've even seen any of the novels. Do they just split off entities from the games?

Most of them are adaptation of the games, there's 2 (IIRC) that are spinoffs focusing around a mysterious dude named Trent and which amount to nothing.

Edit: Oh lol, there are novelizations of the live action movies. I'm tempted to look those up because movie novelizations are home to some of the stupidest writing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They're just bog standard novelizations you see from any other franchise. There really isn't anything special about them, besides the author's unabashed love for Rebecca Chambers (who got to star in both original stories).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah, ok. I say we find out more about this Trent guy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Who doesn't love Rebecca? She seems nice

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

One of the only things I remember from reading those books as a kid was that they tried to make STARS some sort of international paramilitary force to explain what the gently caress they were supposed to do, but that ends up making less sense why a squad of them would be sitting around the RPD and looking for missing hikers.

Also I think there was a dinosaur tyrant at one point???

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sometimes I wonder why STARS at full strength had 13 members but their office only had like 6 desks (but then again back then the RPD also didn't have any restrooms)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Sometimes I wonder why STARS at full strength had 13 members but their office only had like 6 desks (but then again back then the RPD also didn't have any restrooms)

Six is enough, you've got the day crew and the night crew, and the guy who covers weekends

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bravo team was the night shift

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

True on paper, but the desks are clearly assigned to specific people (the protagonists, of course).

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Enrico lost a bet and now Bravo Team has to work out of a van in the garage.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Most of them are adaptation of the games, there's 2 (IIRC) that are spinoffs focusing around a mysterious dude named Trent and which amount to nothing.

Edit: Oh lol, there are novelizations of the live action movies. I'm tempted to look those up because movie novelizations are home to some of the stupidest writing in the world.

There’s also a few comic adaptations (at least one of which was an original story if I recall correctly) plus a couple anime films/miniserieses but I’m not sure how “canon” any of them are

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ah, ok. I say we find out more about this Trent guy

Not much to find out, he's an Umbrella exec who's working to bring them down from the inside.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Crowetron posted:

Enrico lost a bet and now Bravo Team has to work out of a van in the garage.

Or if you put four gems into each of the desks the entire office rotates into the wall to reveal a second office for Bravo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Medullah posted:

Counterpoint, him saying "Oh, by the way Ethan, your wife has been replaced with an evil wtich clone probably would have made saved a lot of the lives in the Village.

I guess to give Chris some benefit of the doubt, he had no idea if Ethan was under Miranda’s influence in any capacity.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I've even seen any of the novels. Do they just split off entities from the games?

There was seven of them, last I checked, written by S.D. Perry who I believe also did a bunch of Star Trek books or something. Five covering some of the games (1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, Zero), two original. I'm about to effort-post about a series of mid-tier novels from like twenty years ago, so feel free to skip if you don't care.

The ones covering the games aren't necessarily terrible. Hell I actually enjoy bits and pieces from the ones on 1-3, such as how they manage to finagle all four characters plus Wesker through the setting in 1, some bits of mild horror from 2, and a lot of Jill and Carlos' thoughts in 3. But the CV one runs into a seemingly common problem of novel adaptations, where the writer realizes they only have sixty pages left and so Chris speedruns through his section with hand grenades and just straight up skipping 90% of it. And Zero, despite it being the one I most recently read, is utterly forgettable outside of I think the author making it so her pet character Trent was the one who mysteriously brought Wesker back to life.

I should mention now about Trent. Trent is one of Perry's original characters. He's basically a mystery, albeit an annoying one, through the early books. Dude shows up in an expensive suit and trenchcoat and goes 'Hey what's up, I heard you're about to go to a viral outbreak, here's half the keys and a map, or some intel.' Later on we learn that his parents developed the T-Virus or something and Umbrella's CEOs killed his parents, so his big idea is to fake his death and return as a man of mystery who cows these old evil men under his suave coolness and indispensability, so he can feed intel he learns by being basically their second in command to STARS or other people. All while assumedly helping them, I'm guessing because if this continued we'd find out he's after getting Umbrella for himself.

I'm only being slightly snide, Trent really is not well written, and only looks 'cool' because Umbrella's CEOs are startlingly incompetent while also simultaneously being cackling Batman villains, so he looks better by comparison. He basically serves the narrative premise of telling the cast where to go and what to do, not doing it well while also sticking out like a sore thumb. He reminds me of a bad gamemaster in a TTRPG, having an NPC show up to direct the party, complete with the GM (Perry in this case) going 'hey look how cool this guy is!'

Anyway. 'Caliban Cove,' the first original one, has Rebecca join up with a STARS team from Maine (as STARS is much larger, though nebulously so). This is of course at the behest of Trent. Please note the entire surviving cast minus Brad is there and they decide to send Rebecca. Some disgraced Umbrella Scientist has been working on modified T-Virus, making fairly controlled zombies that are either basically walking turrets armed with M16s, or sycophant zombies that retain some of their knowledge but are mindless outside of orders. I don't even remember the villain's motive or goal, I think he just went Batman Villain, and he was going to release this stuff because YOLO. Half the cast dies relatively stupidly, and as mentioned one of the new STARS members carries her Grandpa's live frag grenade, which the villain leaves with Rebecca and David (British STARS leader) and they use to blow an underwater airlock with them inside it still. Overall, it's very bad.

'Underworld,' the other original one, has the survivors from 'Caliban Cove,' with Claire and Leon joining (as apparently Rebecca and her new friends were en-route to Raccoon City at just the right time; I'm not joking, I think they literally show up to pick them up at the end of the 2 novel). Trent once again shows up and goes 'Hey Intrepid Heroes, I made a new dungeon for-- I mean there's an Umbrella creature testing lab and one of the CEOs is there, you should cap him.' They raid the place because it's still not fully operational or something. Half the crew end up having to deal with a hostage crisis with the Umbrella employees while I think also trying to figure out who's the CEO (and fending off a hit squad). The other half get tricked into the elevator by an Umbrella mechanic that the CEO paid off to fake being him, and get lured into the testing facility. That part's actually kind of cool, because Perry does come up with some mildly interesting creatures. Flying Pterodon-style jungle harassers. Sand-dwelling and burrowing scorpion monsters that sort of regenerate by hardening blood over their wounds into armor. Llama-like climbing monsters that spit a caustic acid. And of course invisible Hunters, well before 'Revelations.'

And while I personally think it's stupid, they do have 'Fossil,' a dinosaur themed Tyrant, that they release and it eats the CEO.

Overall... not great books but if you can find them cheap and need a laugh, you can do worse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finished up Chris's campaign.

Piers is a chad, a goody two shoes chad but one nonetheless.

I was worried that the lab would be extremely long like the Carrier but it was pretty quick, although filled with some terrible gameplay. The chase scenes were awful, doubly so because I don't know how to turn the touchpad off on my DS4 so I kept brushing it and making the game think I was using the mouse which breaks your sprint and then Piers decided to get hung up on geometry when I needed him for a boost and got me killed which made me pretty upset. HAOS was a lame boss both times, he looks like a Orphan of Kos knockoff and is a complete non entity in the first fight then in the second I ran out of ammo and had to knife him to death which was very annoying. It would be nice if when you have zero ammo they didn't keep dropping the loving chess piece things.

It felt like they originally planned for Chris to pass the torch to Piers only to realize people like Chris way more and then re-wrote the ending. I love Village, Old Chris so I'm fine with the way it played out, but I think if I'd have played it at the time I'd be disappointed. And honestly I don't know what Piers was saying, that steak didn't look bad at all.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

HAOS feels like they realized they forgot to make an end boss for Chris's campaign like two weeks before launch. It's just a big skeleton out of nowhere, like yeah, gently caress it, why not?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fil5000 posted:

Or if you put four gems into each of the desks the entire office rotates into the wall to reveal a second office for Bravo.
It's obviously five, whose initials spell out BRAVO/ALPHA depending on which side you look at.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

gently caress Piers, forgettable milque toast military character that added nothing to the campaign.

Bit of a rantamble but Chris's campaign is by far the main reason I dislike RE6 so much. My usual co-op buddy and I had decided to sit down and do RE5 and RE6, in that order, so we'd just come off playing 5... and just. Wow. Sorry Chris, I guess Capcom or whoever was the writer decided that actually, that thing in 5 where he was overcoming the trauma of losing his squad? Yeah let's do that story again but now it happens entirely off screen and he's brought back in by a character they then murder at the end to make sure he keeps that trauma going strong.

Idk, maybe I was just too hung up on all of it it to really be able to even appreciate anything Piers does.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mountain Lightning posted:

Overall... not great books but if you can find them cheap and need a laugh, you can do worse.

There's a certain impulse, which I understand, in writers to need to explain things that don't make a lot of sense and that's a pretty deep well in Resident Evil. Which isn't to say Perry's fixes were all good but I get why they tried with new characters and such. My favorite lowkey one is Perry trying to explain why Jill dresses in her RE3 outfit (which is something like 'for action') when the city is drowning in zombies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

gently caress Piers, forgettable milque toast military character that added nothing to the campaign.

Bit of a rantamble but Chris's campaign is by far the main reason I dislike RE6 so much. My usual co-op buddy and I had decided to sit down and do RE5 and RE6, in that order, so we'd just come off playing 5... and just. Wow. Sorry Chris, I guess Capcom or whoever was the writer decided that actually, that thing in 5 where he was overcoming the trauma of losing his squad? Yeah let's do that story again but now it happens entirely off screen and he's brought back in by a character they then murder at the end to make sure he keeps that trauma going strong.

Idk, maybe I was just too hung up on all of it it to really be able to even appreciate anything Piers does.

Piers won me over entirely by being a totally solid dude the entire campaign and then going out well. RE is pretty loathe to kill their own characters so seeing one actually have a heroic sacrifice that means something hits way harder than it might in most series.

Chris's campaign is pretty bad though, it felt like twenty hours even though the time clock says it was 4 and a half

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

Despite enjoying most… okay some of RE6 I don’t want to defend RE6, Piers, and especially Chris’ campaign too much but his squad literally dies on screen? You watch it happen. Also sequel events aside the ending of his campaign shows Piers’ death didn’t traumatize him because friendship or whatever.

It’s normal to hate Chris’ campaign though. The China car chase is still one of the worst things I’ve ever played and I’ve done the RE5 turret sequences on Professional.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Despite enjoying most… okay some of RE6 I don’t want to defend RE6, Piers, and especially Chris’ campaign too much but his squad literally dies on screen? You watch it happen. Also sequel events aside the ending of his campaign shows Piers’ death didn’t traumatize him because friendship or whatever.

It’s normal to hate Chris’ campaign though. The China car chase is still one of the worst things I’ve ever played and I’ve done the RE5 turret sequences on Professional.

Doing the turret stuff in RE 5 on professional was the only thing standing between me and the platinum trophy and it very nearly drove me insane before I finally did it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I like Crhis' campaign, it has the worst sections of the game but China outbreak and Eastern Europe hit the peak RE6 was going for

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
So I have been playing a lot of RE2 remake recently since I finally have a computer that isn't a refurb'd office laptop and first off, 9.9/10 game (shoulda kept the giant spiders) and after S+ing on all scenarios I have started the bonus modes and while it took me like 20 attempts to get through Hunk's mad escape from a toxic workplace, I got Tofu on the first try. Am I a joke character idiot savant?

No Way Out seems like utter bullshit though

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight

Gaius Marius posted:

Piers won me over entirely by being a totally solid dude the entire campaign and then going out well. RE is pretty loathe to kill their own characters so seeing one actually have a heroic sacrifice that means something hits way harder than it might in most series.

It's so obvious they were going to kill off Chris and pass the torch to Piers, but chickened out at the last second. And now the guilt-ridden Chris can never, ever, ever retire! Yay!!! /s

Poor Piers. :( he deserved better.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Killer Dynamo posted:

It's so obvious they were going to kill off Chris and pass the torch to Piers, but chickened out at the last second. And now the guilt-ridden Chris can never, ever, ever retire! Yay!!! /s

Poor Piers. :( he deserved better.

On the other hand, who'd pay $60 for an RE8 that ends five minutes in when Piers shows up at Ethan's house, discusses the situation in detail, and explains how he'll competently handle things going forward while Ethan and Rose are sheltered in safety

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
They would never kill Chris, come on now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They were 100% setting it up

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

January 6 Survivor posted:

So I have been playing a lot of RE2 remake recently since I finally have a computer that isn't a refurb'd office laptop and first off, 9.9/10 game (shoulda kept the giant spiders) and after S+ing on all scenarios I have started the bonus modes and while it took me like 20 attempts to get through Hunk's mad escape from a toxic workplace, I got Tofu on the first try. Am I a joke character idiot savant?

No Way Out seems like utter bullshit though

Tofu can actually be pretty easy if you're good at dodging, since you're not really expected to fight anything per se. Instead, it's all about running, dodging, and then mashing Spacebar to jam a knife in someone's face. Similarly, the Tofu-Subtype that's rolling around with thirty-six hand grenades or whatever is easy for similar reasons, though you can also just baseball pitch those around to clear the area.

The Ghost Survivor chapters are definitely a bit rough though. Much like Hunk, they sort of expect you to know how all aspects of fighting and dodging and movement go. I think the Mayor's Daughter one is probably the 'easiest,' but it's hard to gauge whether Joe Kendo or Ghost's is the harder of the defaults, as they both kind of suck to deal with.

If you're looking for other new and wild times with a game you've played front to back, I'd recommend trying the Randomizer, as well as the 'Nowhere is Safe' mod. Randomizer randomizes something like 99% of the game's items (barring a few placed to prevent serious sequence breaking, since that can cause issues), and you can even make it so the other character's weapons and ammo and unique gunpowders are included.

'Nowhere is Safe' makes the game a lot harder in a mostly organic way. It mostly applies to just the zombie enemies, and does have a few interesting bugs (including spawning bonus lickers in a couple of rooms because the licker was scripted but now the script's a bit borked; examples include the STARS hallway Licker and the basement hall Licker on Claire's mode that scuttles away), but it's still fun. You can vary the options to do stuff like:

-Remove Enemy Tethers (I.e. the programming that keeps zombies to certain areas only)
-Keep enemies spawned in even when distant (I.e. the zombies you aggroed in the West Hall Clown Car Hallway are still active and moving around even though you're in the outside fenced in stairwell; I think it 'simulates' them like Mr. X, because sometimes I'll run into zombies in some wild places since they don't just head directly for you)
-Remove 'Safe Zones' and invisible walls (Lets zombies and Mr. X pretty much go anywhere in the station, though Mr. X does still occasionally get caught on poo poo)
-Make the various pre-dead zombie bodies sleeper zombies that will wake up if bumped (Doesn't do them all, especially headless bodies, but stuff like the library corpses will get up if bumped)
-Revive all downed enemies on map changes (I.e. make your return from the basement or sewer turn the RPD into a nasty surprise).

Outside of that last option, none of these options seriously raise difficulty unless you're either fleeing from zombies instead of fighting them, or when Mr. X shows up if your routing isn't perfect. But it can lead to such fun moments as running around the main hall from ten zombies you accidentally brought with you from the library and the west patrol office, while Marvin ignores your plight and keeps checking the cameras. Or awakening the 'dead' zombies in the jail cells as Leon just to see if you can, forgetting you did that, and whoops, at some point between then and returning, the zombies somehow pathed out of the cells and the garage was suddenly extremely dangerous.

Please note both of these mods tend to make things a little unstable. Save early and save often. Also another fun new bug with the randomizer is that you have to disable it for the Sherry section with Claire, otherwise it will randomize the items there and whoops, hope you can somehow escape the room with .357 Magnum Rounds. You can re-enable it after.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

They were 100% setting it up

I think at some point they probably were but not in the version we got. Like I have suspect if they were really going to kill Chris it would have been to save Jake or something.

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight

Captain Hygiene posted:

On the other hand, who'd pay $60 for an RE8 that ends five minutes in when Piers shows up at Ethan's house, discusses the situation in detail, and explains how he'll competently handle things going forward while Ethan and Rose are sheltered in safety

Piers Does RE8 DLC When.

Chris being the stupidest man on the planet is now a driving plot point. Beautiful, I love it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
started and also finished re3 remake today. i got it when it was one of the ps+ freebies, which is good because i'd have been terribly cheesed off if i'd paid full price

even the shop items are a letdown because you so seldom get an opportunity to use the things

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

site posted:

Bravo team was the night shift

The funny thing about the novel of RE1 is it went out of its way to say Bravo Team were next to useless compared to Alpha Team, Enrico was said to be the only competant member of the team, Kenneth for instance could barely shoot straight.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Judge Tesla posted:

The funny thing about the novel of RE1 is it went out of its way to say Bravo Team were next to useless compared to Alpha Team, Enrico was said to be the only competant member of the team, Kenneth for instance could barely shoot straight.

That would explain his somewhat hilarious death tape in the remake of Resident Evil 1. I know he's probably badly hurt, but in the context of just watching his video tape which doesn't show any prior injuries, it's like "Oh noes, a slow moving zombie gradually moving towards me that I can't hit for some reason, ahhh, not my face! I need that to live!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Judge Tesla posted:

Is the reason for this "because umbrella combat data blah blah" because otherwise I don't know why you'd have a "best of the best" unit that was made up of people objectively worse than rank and file.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fil5000 posted:

Is the reason for this "because umbrella combat data blah blah" because otherwise I don't know why you'd have a "best of the best" unit that was made up of people objectively worse than rank and file.

idk it’s something i can believe for american police

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Judge Tesla posted:

Several members of Alpha Team barely survived a mansion with a Tyrant.
Rebecca Chambers survived a mansion with a Tyrant, and a Queen Leech, AND that mansion with a Tyrant.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Several members of Alpha Team barely survived a mansion with a Tyrant.
Rebecca Chambers survived a mansion with a Tyrant, and a Queen Leech, AND that mansion with a Tyrant.
Here we see the difference between median and average. The average Bravo member was as capable as the average Alpha member, but that's all due to Chambers dragging the average up.

Fil5000 posted:

You need people to get injured to get combat data on the field medic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I've posted about this before I think so but as the novels came up, RE was the first franchise I got really into back in the day as a youngster so I got a lot of the comics and novels and stuff, they were the first exposure I had to what felt like fanfiction-y type stuff and that weird unsettling feeling you get when you read something and feel like the author was perhaps too into certain characters or weird stuff. Along with the Star Wars EU which had some similar stuff as well. They've really stuck in my memory for that reason.

As others have mentioned, the original ones not based on games are all very Rebecca focused and the 1 novelisaton has a lot of Chris thinking "god she's so great and brave" for multiple pages as well. The new characters in the other books do the same, if they'd revealed Rebecca had something going on like Eveline where she made people act weird and protective, it'd have actually made sense. That's how weird the pov bits are.

Then the 1, 2 and 3 novelisations all have first person, very detailed sections from the perspective of Wesker, Chief Irons and then Nikolai respectively where they gripe about how poo poo their lives have been and think about how much they can't wait to gently caress and/or how worthless the women they're dealing with are.

So we get lots of interiority chapters of Irons thinking about the Mayors daughter he's taxidermied and being extremely creepy, which to be fair that is implied in the game so I guess I can't fault that, dunno if we needed the details though. Then in the others you get Nikolai thinking about Jill and how when he's on a time limit near the end it's a shame he doesn't have time to "enjoy her" and in the 1 novelisation, there's Wesker running about in the tunnels before the lab, moaning about wet boots and fantasizing about running into a zombified woman scientist who worked in the Mansion and turned him down one time, hoping she won't be in "too bad a shape" or something to that affect.

I was a lot more naive back then so figured the novels were super official rubber stamped by Capcom, all the details were canon (probably didn't know that word though) and I probably read them around the time Code Veronica was coming out or just before, though I wouldn't get to play it until it came out on the PS2 in the UK, either way I think I'd been spoiled somehow that Wesker was coming back so I was like "huh, I guess Wesker is a necrophiliac rapist man now?, that's loving weird."

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 19, 2024