Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

pastor of muppets posted:

We ran into another greyhound on our walk yesterday, which turned into two, which turned into an impromptu meetup in a neighbor’s backyard

Working clockwise from the top: that’s Ollie the red one, less than two years old and fresh off the tracks; my Rory, the only brindle and the oldest grey at 10; Gracie, a 15 year old Weimaraner; Pumpkin, a black female, also pretty young; and Chase, a black male, about 6 years old

Man this looks so fun! I can see them all doing the leg shuffle at the same time when playing.

My wife has been bringing Ella to her work more and more and she's settling in there now with a routine of either sleeping:

...walking to all the co-workers (who love her) and getting cuddles, playing with the other dog that's often there (they became instant best friends which was a huge relief) or doing this:
https://imgur.com/mxanoTT
She just goes round and round in slow motion letting the leaves "pet" her. No interest in eating them so we don't have to worry about it probably being toxic.
Whenever my wife can't find her she's always by the plant, doing the same thing.

I think we should buy her a similar plant for home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

or doing this:
She just goes round and round in slow motion letting the leaves "pet" her.
oh my god :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Man this looks so fun! I can see them all doing the leg shuffle at the same time when playing.

My wife has been bringing Ella to her work more and more and she's settling in there now with a routine of either sleeping:

...walking to all the co-workers (who love her) and getting cuddles, playing with the other dog that's often there (they became instant best friends which was a huge relief) or doing this:
She just goes round and round in slow motion letting the leaves "pet" her. No interest in eating them so we don't have to worry about it probably being toxic.
Whenever my wife can't find her she's always by the plant, doing the same thing.

I think we should buy her a similar plant for home.

Aw, she's trancing. I've heard about it, first time I've seen it in action.

https://www.popsci.com/dog-plants-weird-trancing/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Radiation Cow posted:

Aw, she's trancing. I've heard about it, first time I've seen it in action.

https://www.popsci.com/dog-plants-weird-trancing/

Wow had no idea about this but it 100% fits. My wife just told me that she's done it under hanging laundry as well. :3: We are buying her a plant so she can trance as much as she likes. :)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Huh yeah that's interesting - Tazo does it sometimes too, under the large tiger grass outside. I figured it would just be a nice rubbing/tingly sensation, but I didn't know it was such a unique, yet well known thing!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Amazing

I’ve never seen Katie do it but now I’ll keep an eye out

The sun is cooperating today

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson actively seeks out plants to rub up on, including thorns like roses.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Bailey is just finishing up her grooming appointment. I did self washes with Abby but wanted to give this a try. Sounds like she did really well!

I do think she's a bit anxious, but I had also halved her trazadone to see how she did and might have been a bit early. in the last few days when I open the door, instead of going into the hallway with me, she diverts into her crate. I will just give her her space in there, as someone told me to avoid any unnecessary interaction when they are crated. basically respect their space

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I did notice a kind of cream colored, opaque discharge coming from her vagina - not actually leaking, but just protruding a bit, so I will call the vet tomorrow. It kind of looked like what she had when she had the inflammation prior to her episioplasty, but unlike then, she doesn't seem to be licking the area, and it doesn't have the black discoloration, at least.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
See what your hounds think of this animal sounds man that YouTube dredged up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qa9YDgtcaM

It got a few head tilts out of Katie and she normally doesn’t react at all to videos.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Holy poo poo, that man is standing a couple of blocks away from where I used to live.

He's very good, but neither dog cared one bit.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

It got a few head tilts out of Katie and she normally doesn’t react at all to videos.

Same here.

Ella usually don't care much, but seemed to be interested in this Girl With the Dogs video lol:

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

aww :3:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

I love this :3:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Oh boy that fence makes your dog look short but it’s got to be like 5 feet tall?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

:mood:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie gets anxious and super annoying from this awful dewormer she still has to take (hopefully her sample I dropped off Friday finally comes back negative) so I figured it might be a good day to try out this ostrich bone I got her:

She was happily occupied with that for an hour until I took it away.

It didn’t really come with instructions but I figured it’s not really best to do one marathon session, right? I saw on the tag it claims to be 3000+ calories(!) but I don’t know exactly what they’re counting.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Probably marrow mostly

And yeah I wouldn't let them go constantly at it, a nice long session then a break for another day is a good strategy

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I have since learned that the ostrich bone itself is safely edible, which explains the calorie count. I thought they just gnawed on it to get some scraps off. She got another hour with it today before stopping on her own, but she looked longingly after it when I put it away.

And her hookworm test finally came back negative!! :dance::woop:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Congratulations!

I remember how great it was when we finally beat spartys worms :toot:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Bad news: Teedo had some more seizures

Good news:

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh man, I don't know if any of you follow Blue the grey on FB, but he's just been diagnosed with a heart tumour, so he's only got a short time left :(

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Bad news: Teedo had some more seizures

Good news:

TODD TONGUE. Is he distressed by the seizures at all?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Major Isoor posted:

Oh man, I don't know if any of you follow Blue the grey on FB, but he's just been diagnosed with a heart tumour, so he's only got a short time left :(

Is this him?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXXK4cngogM

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah, that's him! He's pretty popular among greyhound fans down here in Aus. Poor boy - very shocking news :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

TODD TONGUE. Is he distressed by the seizures at all?

Here's the general progression

• some kind of visual migraine, like scintillating scotoma in humans I assume. He keeps looking around confused at nothing, or tries to back away in circles. He gets increasingly blind as the migraine overwhelms his vision. This is the prodromal phase, lasts about ten seconds, and we've stalled at least three seizures here (out of about 30)
  • grand mal seizure - every muscle locks up and starts trembling and spamming violently. His lips are pulled in a snarl and he foams at the mouth. If he was standing he falls over
  • usually after 10 seconds of this he starts instinctual behaviors: urinates, starts running on his side reflexively, etc. I don't know if this is conscious or just muscle memory. It's very vigorous though
  • After that settles down he usually comes to himself, takes a moment to catch his breath, then gets antsy and wants to pace around. This is like the urge after running to walk, to help clear lactic acid and other fatigue poisons buildup. He's usually still mostly blind and will bump into things while pacing, and is very wobbly at first. He often needs help getting up
  • this is the danger zone as he can have another seizure before he's recuperated from the first. With too many clustered together he can overheat and possibly die, so if he starts having another we insert a Valium up his bum to stop it. It has bad effects on dog livers though so we try not to use it
  • if he goes 15 minutes without another seizure he's usually good for at least a few days

Only once during these have I heard him whine or sound scared. I think he can tell they're coming and doesn't like them, but I think his subjective experience is probably a blackout followed by feeling like he just ran a marathon. We've forestalled some by stuffing his face with food, because most seizures happen while asleep or relaxed and getting him to focus on something can stop it. He's still blind but is still very interested in food

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

That sounds devastating to see, but I guess it's a good thing that he's not too fussed about it. Are you guys getting used to these as well?

Boudicca has developed a serious limp over the past two or three days, and it's on the leg that also has a lump, which has been there for a couple of months. Taking her to the vet on Monday, which means that I'm going to spend the entire weekend convinced she's going to die. (She probably just pulled a muscle sprinting after a hadeda).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
To save everyone else time, this is a hadeda :)

Lots of :ohdear: in the thread right now. Katie and I are going to a giant play date in an indoor horse arena today (it’s my adoption group’s tenth anniversary). Hope to get some good pics.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

That sounds devastating to see, but I guess it's a good thing that he's not too fussed about it. Are you guys getting used to these as well?

Boudicca has developed a serious limp over the past two or three days, and it's on the leg that also has a lump, which has been there for a couple of months. Taking her to the vet on Monday, which means that I'm going to spend the entire weekend convinced she's going to die. (She probably just pulled a muscle sprinting after a hadeda).
Yeah it was really upsetting at first but now it's mostly just saddening, like a small child puking - you feel awful for them but know it's probably going to be over soon and they'll feel better after

Best wishes to Boudicca, I love her and her name :unsmith:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Greyhound play date! I didn’t manage to snap any exciting action shots (my phone’s focus got weird until I rebooted). Here is maybe 2/3 of the pack:

The most amazing thing about a bunch of greyhounds is how quiet they are. The building was very echoey but most of the time it was nearly silent.

I’ve noticed that at these types of meetups Katie will zoom around with the others for a few minutes, then spend the rest of the time shadowing me or shamelessly walking up for pets from anyone she can. Occasionally if a group takes off running she’ll join in, but mostly she’ll ignore the other dogs.

”You can stop petting that other dog now and get back to me”

”nice boy”

”nice girl”

”nice lady”

”nice other girl”

Somebody brought a 7 month old that was too smol to run around with the others (the lady on the right had just spotted the pup). They would walk around the outside and the other dogs would stop for pets and to say hello. Katie, of course, boldly led the charge for getting pets

”ok we can go now”

I spotted this handsome devil named Liam with a really striking coat color

Today we went to a “barks + brunch” event outside. There was a fair amount of people, dogs, and noise from food truck generators but she handled it very well! I don’t think she would have done that well earlier on.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

So many long dogs! It's adorable that Katie is so much more focused on people.

In Boudicca news, she's all clear. Vet says that she's in great condition for her age and that the limp is due to arthritis and age. So we're to give her more anti-inflammatories and start on CBD oil for the pain. We're going to speak to her physio tomorrow about more pain management options and making sure that she keeps her mobility for as long as possible.

E: Some photos of the suffering girl

Radiation Cow fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 4, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

great news!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
:woop: Boudicca

I checked the Facebook page and the official count was 76 greyhounds that showed up! :eek:

… and I spotted one more pic of Katie doing what she does best

Plus I won this door prize that I have to show off :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

we had a contractor over, Bailey had not met them before. I kept her in her crate, but before they left i opened the door and used a treat to get her out a bit. she grabbed it and went right back in! after they left i took her for a walk, but right after she just chewed on the wall by her bed (i couldn't hear it because i had music on).

she's done this once before when she is really anxious. thankfully it's easy to repair and i'm having it repainted anyway. but im wondering in the future about using a bit of that apple spray on that bit of the wall. but more generally, if someone new comes over, I'm thinking i should crate her for a while after they leave, not just while they are here.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If possible toss treats into her crate while a new person is there. She'll associate new people with good things. Work up to having the crate be open and letting her come out if she chooses. Reward her bigly if she comes out on her own.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sounds good - she and i are in my bedroom today because i have new tile being put in. i put her crate in here, giving a lot of pb throughout the day. she seems to be doing alright. it was kind of loud this morning.

also i took this pic from an old abby clip lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Teedo is being a real TODD today

It's officially M U Z Z L E T I M E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson saw a duck on the morning walk.