Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I've got pretty much all the Godzilla movies between bluray and DVD (minus the harder to get ones like Returns), Death Kappa, and all of the Gamera movies (except for Gamera The Brave, kicking myself for not getting it while it was cheap.). What are some other good, lesser known kaiju films to grab? War of the Gargantuans looks pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
War of the Gargantuas is fantastic.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

War of the Gargantuas is fantastic.

And it's available in a two pack with Rodan, which is even better.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
War of the Gargantuas is about half a movie, but that half is really good.

I'm talking about the half that's carried entirely by the monsters, if that's not clear.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also see if you can pick up the Icons of Sci-Fi: Toho Collection from Sony, which has The H-Man, Battle In Outer Space, and Mothra.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is a pretty good reference. I've bee trying to collect everything on the list I can find.

I am bizarrely curious about the Toho Frankenstein movies after seeing what they did with King Kong.

Of course, at the moment, I intend to start my "Heisei Run" next month. So many people swear by it, especially by vs. Destroyah and vs. Biolante, that it has to be at least decent.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

This is a pretty good reference. I've bee trying to collect everything on the list I can find.

I am bizarrely curious about the Toho Frankenstein movies after seeing what they did with King Kong.

Of course, at the moment, I intend to start my "Heisei Run" next month. So many people swear by it, especially by vs. Destroyah and vs. Biolante, that it has to be at least decent.

King Kong was supposed to be Frankenstein originally hence the whole electricity thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ethiser posted:

King Kong was supposed to be Frankenstein originally hence the whole electricity thing.

That's interesting to know.

So is Gamera as good as people keep telling me? Because everywhere I go and inquire about Godzilla, people keep responding with "oh my god he Gamera Trilogy was the best!" Even in this ranking of all the Godzilla films, GMK was listed at #2 because the director of thE Gamera Trilogy was behind it and he was a "true author."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

NikkolasKing posted:

So is Gamera as good as people keep telling me? Because everywhere I go and inquire about Godzilla, people keep responding with "oh my god he Gamera Trilogy was the best!" Even in this ranking of all the Godzilla films, GMK was listed at #2 because the director of thE Gamera Trilogy was behind it and he was a "true author."

I haven't seen the Heisei trilogy or the newest one, but yeah, they have a pretty good reputation. The Showa films largely suck, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I recently watched the Gamera trilogy for the first time and they're all outstanding. Better than all but like 4 or 5 Godzilla movies.

The second and third one actually work the same "how do we square the fact that our protector god who's saving us from evil monsters also steps on thousands of people indiscriminately?" theme as Godzilla 2014 but do so in a much more direct, confrontational, emotionally rich way.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 22, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'll defend the Showa Gamera films. They're bad, but they're also extremely ridiculous in a good way.

Like the entire logic they use to defeat Gamera in the first movie is just amazing.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

NikkolasKing posted:

the appalachian dub makes one of them pretty bearable

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

They're all unique with great effects. The first is the weakest of the bunch and Gamera looks down right silly, more like a muppet, but that improves with the second and third.

The second is the slowest of the movies, while the third is just right.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Get hyped, That's something you don't see everyday is now a combat move :torgue:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
His best move is his drop kick :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuEa6Hum0b4

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
The Heisei Gamera trilogy is legitimately great. "Revenge of Iris" is a loving incredible film in part because it takes the logistics of a giant monster hero to its logical extreme (IE: Lots of people die).

Though the final fight is more tension-based and less all-out slugfest than any giant monster film fight ever, it feels very, uh, cinematically mature?

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Re-watching War of the Gargantuas for the billionth time tonight, any fan of Godzilla or giant monsters needs to watch it immediately. I'd argue that it has some of the best SFX and score of any of the Showa kaiju movies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neo Helbeast posted:

Get hyped, That's something you don't see everyday is now a combat move :torgue:

They have the vs Hedorah flying move.

gently caress yes.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I'm not quite sure that's what it is. It looks like a cloud because it's such an out of focus, tiny picture, but he could be standing on something grey and turning around to shoot fire behind him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Raku posted:

I'm not quite sure that's what it is. It looks like a cloud because it's such an out of focus, tiny picture, but he could be standing on something grey and turning around to shoot fire behind him.

It doesn't look anything like that. It looks exactly like Godzilla doing the flying thing from vs Hedorah.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

And critical meltdown Godzilla from bs Destroyah is still my favorite suit. Man, do I love everything about that movie.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The only Godzilla movies I've watched are Final Wars and 2014. Skimming this thread has made me curious about the rest, besides the original are there any that are considered must see?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I'd personally suggest Mothra vs Godzilla from 1964. It's just an overall well-executed monster movie. It's definitely the one I toss on if I want to watch a random Godzilla movie on a lazy afternoon or something. Just be sure not to confuse it for Godzilla vs Mothra from the '90s. That one is...not as good.

If you want to try something sillier, it's hard to go wrong with Invasion of Astro Monster. You probably need to be in the right mood for that one, however.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I always suggest the informal trilogy of Mothra Vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, and Invasion of Astro-Monster. They take Godzilla on his arc from a nuclear vengeance monster to a grouchy but dependable guardian of Earth.

I'm a big fan of the Heisei Godzillas from the 80s and 90s but YMMV with those. At least Return of Godzilla, Vs. Biollante, and Vs. Destoroyah are really good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The only Godzilla movies I've watched are Final Wars and 2014. Skimming this thread has made me curious about the rest, besides the original are there any that are considered must see?

The 'Best' as far as movies go are Godzilla the original, Godzilla VS Mothra 64, and Godzilla Returns 84.

A fun one to throw on with those? Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla 1974 dubbed. As long as you get the right dub, it's an amazing experience- RUSSIAN JAPANESE SPY MONKEY!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

John Carstairs posted:

I'd personally suggest Mothra vs Godzilla from 1964. It's just an overall well-executed monster movie. It's definitely the one I toss on if I want to watch a random Godzilla movie on a lazy afternoon or something. Just be sure not to confuse it for Godzilla vs Mothra from the '90s. That one is...not as good.

If you want to try something sillier, it's hard to go wrong with Invasion of Astro Monster. You probably need to be in the right mood for that one, however.

It probably isn't as good, but Battra's a kickass design and half of it was a serviceable remake of the original Mothra I'd say.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Burkion posted:

The 'Best' as far as movies go are Godzilla the original, Godzilla VS Mothra 64, and Godzilla Returns 84.

A fun one to throw on with those? Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla 1974 dubbed. As long as you get the right dub, it's an amazing experience- RUSSIAN JAPANESE SPY MONKEY!

I didn't realize we were both Godzilla AND Doctor Who nerds, but high five! And great choices. I have a ridiculous love of Terror of MechaGodzilla for my "dumb" choice, probably because as a child it was VERY hard to find to rent on VHS (locally - pre internet was hard!). That and I was also into Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad and Jet Jaguar kinda looks the same

I later found out it was the one that killed the series until '84, but hey whatever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McGann posted:

I didn't realize we were both Godzilla AND Doctor Who nerds, but high five! And great choices. I have a ridiculous love of Terror of MechaGodzilla for my "dumb" choice, probably because as a child it was VERY hard to find to rent on VHS (locally - pre internet was hard!). That and I was also into Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad and Jet Jaguar kinda looks the same

I later found out it was the one that killed the series until '84, but hey whatever.

*High fives!*

Terror just came at a bad time, sadly. 1974/5 was the end of a lot of toku related stuff, largely due to the oil crisis in Japan making things plummet and prices to skyrocket.

Ultraman also took a break until the 80s at this point, as did Kamen Rider.

Terror I'd say is a better movie than the original MechaG, but it is not a more entertaining one for my money. I just love the whole insane mess.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I have a lot of affection for the movies that seem to bomb and kill off Godzilla for a decade or so. Terror of Mechagodzilla and Final Wars are both personal favorites.

Terror especially is great with Honda returning as director and a lot of nifty parallels with the original '54 movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Terror of Mechagodzilla is my definite favorite.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I only sort of distractedly half watched terror of mechagodzilla, but every time godzilla showed up on screen it was fuckin awesome.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wore my kick-rear end Godzilla shirt to the annual Exhumed films 24-hour Horror-thon that's held by a local film group in Philly every year.

Imagine my excitement when the clue for one of the secret movies said it was a giant monster movie and it turns out to be Godzilla! Then the title comes up and it's Godzilla's Revenge. I watched about 20 minutes because it was probably the only chance I'll have to watch a classic 'Zilla movie on the big screen, but even I couldn't take it. I just left til the next movie started. It was like the fourth movie of 14 or so and I bitched about it for the rest of the marathon.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Unmature posted:

Wore my kick-rear end Godzilla shirt to the annual Exhumed films 24-hour Horror-thon that's held by a local film group in Philly every year.

Imagine my excitement when the clue for one of the secret movies said it was a giant monster movie and it turns out to be Godzilla! Then the title comes up and it's Godzilla's Revenge. I watched about 20 minutes because it was probably the only chance I'll have to watch a classic 'Zilla movie on the big screen, but even I couldn't take it. I just left til the next movie started. It was like the fourth movie of 14 or so and I bitched about it for the rest of the marathon.

Why, oh, why would they do that? Jesus.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Unmature posted:

That's the worst Godzilla movie. You got trolled dude.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's not even close to the worst Godzilla movie, but this thread is basically having this and two or three other conversations over and over at this point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe the biggest quality drop between Godzilla movies.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Travis343 posted:

It's not even close to the worst Godzilla movie, but this thread is basically having this and two or three other conversations over and over at this point.

Well it's the worst I've seen anyway.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

I don't know, man, I think I prefer Godzilla's Revenge to Destroy All Monsters. Destroy All Monsters is just a not-as-good-as-their-older-stuff alien invasion standard that was literally meant to put Godzilla out to pasture. Godzilla's Revenge actually has a surprisingly easy to engage story of a latch key kid. It's basically The 400 Blows with giant monsters.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The worst drop between two individual films is probably the original compared to Godzilla Raids Again, if you ask me.

Raids Again is pretty bad.

I will edit this to concede that if they showed the dub of Godzilla's Revenge you can be forgiven for bitching about it the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Travis343 posted:

I will edit this to concede that if they showed the dub of Godzilla's Revenge you can be forgiven for bitching about it the whole time.

We might be having this thread dissonance because of this. I've only seen the dub, and even though I saw it at ~14 or so, I still haven't yet watched it again - regardless of the fact that I've owned it on DVD for 6 years...

...I still find it hard to believe this movie is not the *worst* of the Showa, Heisei, OR Millennium series.

• Locked thread