Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Also, you can't mock Godzilla's Revenge music-wise. This is one of the weird cases where the American version actually does something that improves the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4vgEmcF7vw

Japanese one is great, too, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjwwC6hQhP0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I hated it as a kid, and avoided watching it for years, but I was surprised upon rewatching it. It's got this sort of childlike innocence to it and a huge amount of heart. If you can approach it for what it is and overlook the lack of 'real' kaiju action it's a sweet little story. Maybe a weird choice for a monster movie festival but it's at the very least unique and ambitious.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

McGann posted:

We might be having this thread dissonance because of this. I've only seen the dub, and even though I saw it at ~14 or so, I still haven't yet watched it again - regardless of the fact that I've owned it on DVD for 6 years...

...I still find it hard to believe this movie is not the *worst* of the Showa, Heisei, OR Millennium series.

Vs. Megalon is the most desperately threadbare of the Showa films. It has this really barren, underpopulated feel, like they couldn't even afford actors after a certain point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Travis343 posted:

The worst drop between two individual films is probably the original compared to Godzilla Raids Again, if you ask me.

Raids Again is pretty bad.

I will edit this to concede that if they showed the dub of Godzilla's Revenge you can be forgiven for bitching about it the whole time.

Oh yeah, that's right, changing my answer.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

John Carstairs posted:

I'd personally suggest Mothra vs Godzilla from 1964. It's just an overall well-executed monster movie. It's definitely the one I toss on if I want to watch a random Godzilla movie on a lazy afternoon or something. Just be sure not to confuse it for Godzilla vs Mothra from the '90s. That one is...not as good.

If you want to try something sillier, it's hard to go wrong with Invasion of Astro Monster. You probably need to be in the right mood for that one, however.

Considering that I loved the gently caress out of Final Wars without having seen any of the other movies, I'm sure I'll be in the right mindset to watch the sillier stuff.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, now I have four or five movies to track down instead of like two dozen.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If anyone has $145 bucks to spare, the japanese Godzilla '14 special edition with a limited monsterarts figure is up for preorder:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00OZBNX72/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AN1VRQENFRJN5

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why is he red?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is meant to be the version seen on the theatrical poster (is even labeled as [poster] variant)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
God, watching the 1954 edition of Godzilla for the first time, and the monster is such a transparent representation of the war that it hurts. At first it's rumors, then it's a distant if poorly understood fact, then it becomes a problem of economics and trade that the government has to respond to, then it suddenly drops down in the middle of your personal life and starts utterly destroying everything, distracting from what seemed like pressing relationship and emotional issues. It's the first monster movie I've seen where the focus on humans seems genuine instead of simply following the preset form. Might help that all the acting is in a foreign language though.

edit: Suddenly realized that the professor is played by the same actor as the leader in Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai", and looking it up they came out in the same year.

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 3, 2014

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Today is officially Godzilla's 60th birthday, the original was released Nov. 3, 1954 in Japan. Everybody go watch it now and reflect.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

edit: Suddenly realized that the professor is played by the same actor as the leader in Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai", and looking it up they came out in the same year.

One of the documentaries said they were filming on the same lot and everyone on the Seven Samurai cast and crew kept hearing about something called "G" but not having a clue what the gently caress it was.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Szmitten posted:

One of the documentaries said they were filming on the same lot and everyone on the Seven Samurai cast and crew kept hearing about something called "G" but not having a clue what the gently caress it was.

Toshiro Mifune in samurai armor walks into a dark room by accident. An angry, nebbish little nerd with his hand up a lizard puppet glares at him from in front of a tiny, burning city.

He slowly backs out.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Raku posted:

Toshiro Mifune in samurai armor walks into a dark room by accident. An angry, nebbish little nerd with his hand up a lizard puppet glares at him from in front of a tiny, burning city.

He slowly backs out.

Now I'm imagining his character drunkenly yelling at everyone about the giant lizard and asking for rice.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
This movie loving sucked.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
This movie was really fantastic.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it was aight

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I agree with the post before mine, and disagree with the post two posts before mine.

Saw this again recently as a double feature with Resolution. Very happy with that decision.

Edit: ugh gently caress you Ken, now the numbers in my post don't make... Ugh. I really like this movie is what I'm trying to say.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

I agree with the post before mine, and disagree with the post two posts before mine.

Saw this again recently as a double feature with Resolution. Very happy with that decision.

Edit: ugh gently caress you Ken, now the numbers in my post don't make... Ugh. I really like this movie is what I'm trying to say.

sometimes, the truth is in the middle

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

XCPuff posted:

This movie loving sucked.

YOU loving SUCK

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

sometimes, the truth is in the middle

Name one time, ever.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jonny Angel posted:

Name one time, ever.

Godzilla vs. the MUTOs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This movie was both good and bad. It was good because it was Godzilla. It was bad because it didn't have Don Frye.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

Name one time, ever.

this time, right now. movie was ehhhhh

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This movie was both good and bad. It was good because it was Godzilla. It was bad because it didn't have Don Frye.

Don Frye was in the godzilla suit. it only looked like cgi because of post-filming touchups

Crew Expendable
Jan 1, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

That's certainly part of it.

The film's about allowing for there to be casualties (including those close to you, or even yourself) if it means saving the world, or humanity itself, from the complacency that creates the problem in the first place. The MUTOs themselves are just regretful casualties. They clearly have affection, and feel anguish when their children die. They are also a literal 'nuclear family'. But the nuclear family has to end.

That's why Brody is briefly alienated towards his kid at the end. He has some trouble getting re-accustomed to the idea that this is his family. Something else comes first now. An even bigger family - one that includes Godzilla.

I mean that's set up in the beginning. Brody wants to 'protect his family' forgetting that his Dad is his family too. For justice to exist at all, you have to accept everyone into your family and act accordingly to protect it, even from itself. It's the only way out of conflict - everyone else is just fighting to protect their family too. It's where these lines are drawn that defines the battlefield.

This is why I'm incredibly dubious of the phrase 'I have kids to feed.' We all have kids to feed. Hunger is everyone's problem - why not share it?

Yes this. People are saying that Godzilla is OT God but there is a lot of NT stuff as well. Specifically the parable of counting the cost.

quote:

And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Also finally just saw this movie. Was it this dark in theaters? There were a lot of times when I thought we were supposed to be able to at least make out an outline of something but the screen was almost pure black.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There have been a lot of complaints about the home releases being way darker than they should be, yeah.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Travis343 posted:

There have been a lot of complaints about the home releases being way darker than they should be, yeah.

It's particularly bad at the moment when Godzilla finishes off the mommy Muto. The epic wide shot on Godzilla standing victorious was pretty distinct when I saw it in theaters, but on the home video release it's pretty much impossible to make out what's going on in the shot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I didn't have trouble, but my television is calibrated for the light levels in the room because I'm an A/V sperglord.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I didn't have trouble, but my television is calibrated for the light levels in the room because I'm an A/V sperglord.

This. The movie is fine, its your tv/setup that sucks balls

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Trump posted:

Nope

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Trump posted:

No one has ever needed to be an A/V sperg to get movies that are not bad looking when they just stick them into their TV.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qote-jUNA2o

The beam effects from Mechagodzilla and classic sound effects are sick as hell.

so is godzilla flying from atomic breath

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Oh, my God, at 1:51 he even does an abbreviated version of the hop-dance he does in Invasion of Astro-Monster.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Have they shown any other Godzilla skins?

I know that there's Heisi Godzilla, Burning Godzilla (as a rage powerup, I guess), and there's 2014 Godzilla, I'm wondering if you could have GMK Godzilla duke it out with Jet Jaguar or something.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I think a version of Godzilla should be done as a beat em up side scroller like the Turtles games or Double Dragon. Only on a huge scale with lots of destructables. Then again fighting game makes sense.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gatts posted:

I think a version of Godzilla should be done as a beat em up side scroller like the Turtles games or Double Dragon. Only on a huge scale with lots of destructables. Then again fighting game makes sense.

The NES game sucked though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Man that Godzilla game looks like a new version of EDF

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Man this second post looks like a double of my last one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's never coming here, eh?? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

That's never coming here, eh?? :(

It's probably region free like most PS3 things so it doesn't matter. Maybe.

• Locked thread