Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Wrestlemania have been postponed?
This poll is closed.
Yes. 44 28.76%
Yes. 109 71.24%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I’m invested in this storyline of whether or not he will be able to keep his job and provide for his family and possibly keep his visa. High stakes drama is just the best

Story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

rotinaj posted:

Why in the world did jack swagger and jinder win champ of the month at any point ever

It's always who were they up against. Swagger winning was at a dire time, and I think Jinder won in a month with no Okada defences.

Plus people got so hosed up on irony there are still people who will claim he's good and I'm not sure they're actually sarcastic or just stupid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Drake was literally fired for real. Then they told him he should come do his matches in the Cruiserweight Tournament they had already booked him in since they were paying him for 90 days anyway* and he agreed, probably in the hope they're rehire him. They've played videos of him tearfully reacting to the news he'd been fired, then filmed him after he lost his first match in the tournament,

It's so bad that people have assumed it MUST be a work because no company would be this blatantly, openly cruel and exploitative, right? But no apparently it's absolutely NOT a work and Drake really has literally lost his job.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no0qB8CVspY

Edit: I see I misread the post, sorry.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 30, 2020

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah it doesn't really count when it's completely real.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NXT Results 4/29:
  • Detailed Results here.
  • Isaiah "Swerve" Scott defeated El Hijo del Fantasma in the Cruiserweight tournament.
  • Masked men again attempted to kidnap Fantasma and once again he fought them off.
  • Candice LeRae defeated Kacy Catanzaro in a singles match. She attacked Catanzaro post-match.
  • Byron Saxton hosted the "Newly-Bros Game" between Matt Riddle and Timothy Thatcher. Fabian Aichner & Marcel Barthel jumped Riddle and Thatcher to end the segment.
  • Adam Cole cut a promo about his title match with Velveteen Dream.
  • Charlotte Flair defeated Mia Yim by submission in a singles match.
  • Io Sharai confronted Flair post-match.
  • Dexter Lumis defeated Shane Thorne by submission.
  • Drake Maverick defeated Tony Nese in the Cruiserweight Tournament. Drake is still fired in real life.
  • Keith Lee (C) defeated Damian Priest to retain the NXT North American Championship.
  • Show Discussion (kinda) here.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 30, 2020

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The Drake Maverick story is just sad and definitely doesn’t make me want to watch NXT.... there is nothing positive that can come out of it. Drake certainly hasn’t reached his downside guarantee and is essentially putting his health at risk for nothing for the company that just fired him.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

NXT Results 4/29:
  • Detailed Results here.
  • Isaiah "Swerve" Scott defeated El Hijo del Fantasma in the Cruiserweight tournament.

What.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

50/50 within two weeks of his debut. Amazing.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Isaiah "Swerve" Scott is a dumb name and I hope WWE is around long enough to shorten it to something even dumber on the main roster.

iSwerve or something.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like Swerve, I think he's got potential, although that Fantasma loss is extra bad since they have been using Swerve as a jobber on Raw.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
so wait I clearly haven't been paying attention, i thought spud lost last week, is this a round robin tournament? or like double elimination or something?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TriffTshngo posted:

so wait I clearly haven't been paying attention, i thought spud lost last week, is this a round robin tournament? or like double elimination or something?

Yeah, it's round robin.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
This is a lose/lose situation, because Drake either gets fired, or Drake wins his job back in front of an audience of 0 in what should be a hot and memorable moment.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Astro7x posted:

The Drake Maverick story is just sad and definitely doesn’t make me want to watch NXT.... there is nothing positive that can come out of it. Drake certainly hasn’t reached his downside guarantee and is essentially putting his health at risk for nothing for the company that just fired him.

It's a bummer because even if Drake wins the tournament, becomes champ, and gets re-hired, it's got that bad taste of having used a lot of real firings as part of a storyline. For me personally, the actual best outcome would be either:

1. Drake winning the title and then either vacating it because he's disgusted with WWE's behavior and stands in solidarity with others they fired (or yo know, a massively toned-down version of that sentiment that WWE would actually let him say). He's out of the job, but he got put over more than anyone I can immediately think of on his way out, which is a win in my book.

2. Drake winning the title and doing his best CM Punk "I ran off with your title and I'm not working for you anymore" impression, and doing a storyline based on that. It still would suck for everyone else they fired, but at least I get one of my favorite standard wrestling story templates out of it.

Edit: The audience of 0 element is just a lovely thing that all of wrestling has to deal with right now, so I just kind of put it out of my mind when thinking about stuff like Drake's situation.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

Yeah man Jinder is great he's the best champion ever I loved the part where he called Shinsuke Nakamura *checks notes* a dyslexic Pikachu in between beating him loving twice.

Nakamura survived Inokism intact but could not survive Jinder

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

For anyone who cares, Rob Gronkowski showed off the 24/7 title on a special live "we're definitely not stretching this out because of Covid-19" episode of The Masked Singer.

I was totally expecting someone to run into frame and pin him for it but I guess with social distancing that couldn't happen so for now at least, he's still 24/7 champ!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rick posted:

I like Swerve, I think he's got potential, although that Fantasma loss is extra bad since they have been using Swerve as a jobber on Raw.

They're doing the same thing with Tozawa, who's also in the tournament, so lol.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Jerusalem posted:

NXT Results 4/29:
  • Masked men again attempted to kidnap Fantasma in the parking lot and he fought them off.

Oh for the love of god. This parking lot ninja mystery is approaching Rowan's cage lengths. And I don't want the cop out to be they're kidnapping latinos for the spider queen.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This time they were ringside and he fought them off

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My bad, I obviously just auto-completed in my head "masked men try to kidnap wrestler" with "in the parking lot" when I got the results.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I met Samoa Joe briefly years ago at a sports card show, and asked him about the ninja kidnap thing and he said it was the “best 3 month vacation of his life”.

We should all be so lucky to be kidnapped by ninjas.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gonz posted:

he said it was the “best 3 month vacation of his life”.

WWE: We can beat that, we need you to show up tomorrow to film a commercial.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It was funny seeing Joe stand beside the other 2 guys on Raw this week, he is literally as wide as Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton combined

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gonz posted:

I met Samoa Joe briefly years ago at a sports card show, and asked him about the ninja kidnap thing and he said it was the “best 3 month vacation of his life”.

We should all be so lucky to be kidnapped by ninjas.

El Hijo del Fantasma: "Vacation? I can't go on vacation, they'll fire me!" *fights off vacation ninjas*

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I haven't played a wwe game in like 10 years but if I ever do I'm definitely making The Vacation Ninjas

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I look forward to 2 months from now when the ninjas going after Fantasma are revealed to be Raul Mendoza and Joaquin Wilde and the question of which ninjas captured them is quietly dropped.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
One vacation ninja pied kevin owens, the other was in Shane's lock box.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ugh the Zelina Andrade stuff on Raw is sooooo good.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Where is Kevin Owens anyway? Haven't seen him since he jumped tailbone first off a wrestlemania sign.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ugh the Zelina Andrade stuff on Raw is sooooo good.
Zelina is the best performer in WWE right now

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1255656383413919746

Candice's new finish woulda been a good Britt Baker finishing move.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Zelina is the best performer in WWE right now

Agree 100%

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Blaise330 posted:

One vacation ninja pied kevin owens, the other was in Shane's lock box.

One of the best things modern WWE ever did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ZPtVJuHH4

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Fightful’s Sean Ross Sapp said he confirmed with Andrade that Vince McMahon told him to learn English if he wanted to move up the card.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Never stopped Brock

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

NowonSA posted:

It's a bummer because even if Drake wins the tournament, becomes champ, and gets re-hired, it's got that bad taste of having used a lot of real firings as part of a storyline. For me personally, the actual best outcome would be either:

1. Drake winning the title and then either vacating it because he's disgusted with WWE's behavior and stands in solidarity with others they fired (or yo know, a massively toned-down version of that sentiment that WWE would actually let him say). He's out of the job, but he got put over more than anyone I can immediately think of on his way out, which is a win in my book.

2. Drake winning the title and doing his best CM Punk "I ran off with your title and I'm not working for you anymore" impression, and doing a storyline based on that. It still would suck for everyone else they fired, but at least I get one of my favorite standard wrestling story templates out of it.

Edit: The audience of 0 element is just a lovely thing that all of wrestling has to deal with right now, so I just kind of put it out of my mind when thinking about stuff like Drake's situation.

The problem is that it is also for the Cruiserweight Interim Championship. Even if Drake wins it and does a CM Punk situation, which would be interesting to say the least... it's for the INTERIM championship for the absolute worst championship in a company that has like 24 titles across 5 different brands. Like, you can't even do the "I'm the real champion" thing, because they are not even the real champ. He just won a tournament where he beat a bunch of nobodies, and now you've just made 7 other people look bad in an attempt to make your least interesting title look slightly interesting.

I just can't get invested in even watching the matches now because either a) Drake is winning, which is exploitative of the whole situation, or b) Drake is clearly not winning because he's fired.

The original CWC had that cool aspect of these guys are not hired, but if they go out there and put on a really good match, maybe they'll get signed... so I expected to see something special in the matches. This version is just sad

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
The cruiserweight classic didn't have vacation ninjas tho.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Blaise330 posted:

If you do 3 curbstomps in a match Super Dragon shows up, be careful Candice, you know this better than most.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I absolutely love Renee trying her very best not to corpse at Owens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Blaise330 posted:

Super Dragon is sitting somewhere in full gimmick smiling under his mask.