Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
The MVC takes another hit, Missouri State is leaving to join Conf USA. They were bottom half of the league in MBB, 3rd in WBB this year. The move is for their football program, this takes them from FCS to FBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
what the gently caress even is this

https://x.com/CarterLang_23/status/1787875185678238078

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dude is about to get shot by indiana jones

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
cARRRRRter lang

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The gently caress!?

Seattle is an actually-decent school that's been on the cusp of joining a real conference for years now. How the gently caress are they behind a literal degree mill like GCU that only has sports at all to make them look like a real school?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://x.com/davideickholt/status/1790119806659592228?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Talk about going out on top. Probably the second most beloved coach in UI history after Gable, really a legend. I don’t blame her for not wanting to think about this rebuild but I hope this doesn’t hurt our recruiting.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1791807774206185952?t=0x6zpimjZbQzvHDYSxBxsg&s=19

Would love to be able to eavesdrop on that conversation.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/benmckee14/status/1794119375064117452

Chaz Lanier commits to the good guys. Barnes just reloading

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I like how Rick Barnes politely waited until he got to Tennessee to quit being total poo poo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

They reached the Final Four in 2003, their first in over 50 years, and advanced to the Elite Eight in 2006 and 2008.[10][12] He also led Texas to their first #1 ranking in 2010, and led the Longhorns to the first 30-win seasons in school history. He coached two national players of the year: T. J. Ford (2003) and Kevin Durant (2007).[10] He also won four Big 12 Coach of the Year awards (1999, 2003, 2008, 2014) during his time in Austin, establishing himself as a nationally regarded coach.[13] He was fired in 2015 after Texas failed to advance to the Sweet 16 for the seventh straight season

Texas fired Rick Barnes for failing to do something they don't even care about or understand

Since then they hired Shaka Smart who is actually the disappointment they thought Barnes was, then Chris Beard who promptly beat the poo poo out of his girlfriend. In short, UT is stupid...no other UT

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

kiimo posted:

Texas fired Rick Barnes for failing to do something they don't even care about or understand

Since then they hired Shaka Smart who is actually the disappointment they thought Barnes was, then Chris Beard who promptly beat the poo poo out of his girlfriend. In short, UT is stupid...no other UT

No, Texas absolutely should've fired Rick Barnes. I watched more than enough lovely Texas basketball to know Barnes had hit a ceiling at Texas that he wasn't gonna overcome. He had settled into a groove of recruiting hotshot HS players hoping to be the next Kevin Durant by selling Texas as an NBA launchpad, letting them put up big numbers for one season, and then leaving the ones who stuck around after that to rot on the bench undeveloped. Texas went multiple seasons in a row without getting past the first round of the NCAA tourney by the time he was fired, and there was no sign that that was gonna change.

Texas's only mistake in firing Barnes was not doing it sooner. We only hired Shaka because there were no better options available at the time, and our biggest mistake with him was extending his contract so we couldn't fire him without paying a shitload of money (thank God for Marquette!). And nobody knew Chris Beard was gonna turn out to be Coach Lowtax; if we did then we wouldn't have hired his rear end to start with.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 25, 2024

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Tennessee will be forced to fire Rick Barnes after the inevitable SEC/B1G merger faces him against Purdue multiple times per season.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I. M. Gei posted:

I like how Rick Barnes politely waited until he got to Tennessee to quit being total poo poo.

it seems like his results at tennessee are basically the same as texas? maybe a lil worse?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Goodbye Bill. You lived just long enough to see the PAC killed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Goodbye Bill. You lived just long enough to see the PAC killed.

PAC dissolved, Greatful Dead's final tour. Bill had nothing left to live for

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Purdue and Alabama are going to have a home and home series. They'll be at Purdue Nov 15, and the return match will be in 2025 or 26.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PotatoJudge posted:

Purdue and Alabama are going to have a home and home series. They'll be at Purdue Nov 15, and the return match will be in 2025 or 26.

Will be easy to root for Cliff during those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2024/05/legendary-clarkston-basketball-coach-dan-fife-passes-away-at-74.html

This is actually high school basketball posting primarily but Dan Fife is the father of Dugan Fife (played with the Fab 5) and Dane Fife (massive recruit for early 2000s Indiana and now a long time coach) and a titanic figure in Michigan high school sports. Also played at UM with Campy Russell and I believe Rudy Tomjanovich and pitched for the Minnesota Twins in the 70s. He was also my neighbor growing up and ran a basketball camp that I attended as young, extremely short and untalented hooper. Sadly had pretty rough dementia in his later years and his wife is in really poor health as well. RIP.