Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nameless_Steve posted:

Hey, you know who said the same exact loving thing? THE NATIVE AMERICANS!

This kind of poo poo SHOULD go without saying. If you know your history, it's poo poo like this that makes a pretty good argument that the "real America" is actually in the blue states.

Having a feast with a new immigrant family to welcome them to the country would be a much cooler tradition, and more in the spirit of the "original Thanksgiving", than having over the same bunch of relatives who bother you.

Anyone who follows the political cartoon thread could tell you this is pretty run of the mill as far as this poo poo goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

I've had Republicans disagree that we benefit from immigration. I think this warrants more attention than I've ever given it.

There seems to be a paradigmatic schism as to be whether we're in times of survival or surplus. If you think we're struggling to survive, winter's coming and the dry goods are running low, naturally you'd be amenable to keeping poors poor and immigrants out. Not enough to go around, right?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well monetarily speaking we don't necessarily benefit from mass immigration. Ideologically it's hard to argue against it though, given America's history. It's irrelevant in any case because the sentiment in that cartoon is pure, 100% nativist xenophobia. Unless you're actually a seasonal farm worker you aren't going to be in direct competition with unskilled immigrant labor, the effect for a middle class person is going to be marginal at best.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know this is a discussion of specifically American immigration, but a lot of arguments in favor of immigration outside of a cold calculation of value tend to rely on very American-specific circumstances like "we're a nation of immigrants" or "we don't have a leg to stand on after illegally immigrating here in the face of the natives." and that sort of stuff.

There was a comment earlier about immigrants having to offer something of value to existing citizens to be let in, to which someone responded that if we're giving out citizenship according to value like that why not expel all the poor rubes in the Appalachians contributing nothing. There's the kernel of an interesting discussion on what citizenship means and why people immigrate there.

I think my view of it would be that ideally everyone would be able to go where they please and be a citizen of whatever country they like to pursue a better life, but the practical limitation is that a country can usually only absorb so many immigrants at a time. When setting immigration policy then there's a balance of several goals, including finding immigrants with skills in demand as well as making space for refugees and asylum-seekers. I'd prefer if the system was skewed to allow as many as the nation can absorb, serving the goal of letting people be where they want to be.

Immigration is a compliment of sorts. If lots of people want to come to your country it's probably because they're drawn to its prosperity. It seems very rude to hold people wanting to immigrate in disdain or being too cold about the purpose of immigration.

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014

Other cartoons by this dude this week include Obama dressed as a king and Obama driving over the constitution. He's a real winner and his humor is fresh and his commentary is biting.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Nameless_Steve posted:

This kind of poo poo SHOULD go without saying. If you know your history, it's poo poo like this that makes a pretty good argument that the "real America" is actually in the blue states.

Having a feast with a new immigrant family to welcome them to the country would be a much cooler tradition, and more in the spirit of the "original Thanksgiving", than having over the same bunch of relatives who bother you.

gently caress YES! I'll trade aunt Bea's ambrosia salad and leathery ham for homemade tacos and flan any day of the week.

Thanksgiving upgrades for everyone!

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
Poe's law is in full effect here. The only thing distinguishing Varvel's cartoons from the Onion's editorial cartoon is the lack of Lady Liberty looking on and shedding a single tear.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

If you wanna know more, just PM me and I'll answer.

I overstayed my visa, and married american, almost done with green card and am fairly well versed in the law. Not a lawyer though.

I don't have plat. You got an email I can send some questions to?

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 23, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

President Kucinich posted:

I'd like to share a story.

I help rehabilitate recently released/transitioning felons back into society by providing housing, food, transportation, drug addiction treatment, counseling, and the like. Our program does things like helping connect felons with jobs, education opportunities, housing, healthcare, and the like. The program's 3 year recidivism rates blow the state's out of the water (although we work with a filtered prison population).

One of the clients I've worked with for the last few months is from a latin American country. He's a US citizen. Much of his family reside in the states illegally. We have talked about the issue of immigration several times since he arrived and how it's impacted his family. There exists a daily fear in his life that his sister and her kids will be removed into one of those ICE facilities he's heard about. He's talked to me about how he refuses to have any kind of contact with his sister because he doesn't want her associated with him in any way for fear of her getting deported. We watched Obama's speech on the computer in the medical room when it aired.

Watching a 69 year old latino man kiss his rosery repeatedly, thanking god and Obama profusely, while wiping away tears is a hell of a sight.

Eat poo poo and die, On the Left. That felon has more love, honor, and dignity in him than you will ever know.

I think it's easy to forget that this affects actual loving people when you get buried too deep in the politics of it. Thanks for the reminder. :3:

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Nameless_Steve posted:

Wow, the backlash for this cartoon became strong enough that the newspaper running it actually apologized and pulled it.

(Although hilariously, first they tried photoshopping the big racist mustache off, and then realized it was still bad and yanked it.)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

awesome-express posted:

I don't have plat. You got an email I can send some questions to?

Kalleerik.vahakyla@gmail.com

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

spacing in vienna posted:

Wow, the backlash for this cartoon became strong enough that the newspaper running it actually apologized and pulled it.

(Although hilariously, first they tried photoshopping the big racist mustache off, and then realized it was still bad and yanked it.)

Someone needs to photoshop it so that its Puritans coming through the windows and the Indians having Thanksgiving dinner.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

Someone needs to photoshop it so that its Puritans coming through the windows and the Indians having Thanksgiving dinner.

Though it's still not accurate since Mexicans aren't actually planning on murdering 99% of Americans and taking over.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Forgall posted:

Though it's still not accurate since Mexicans aren't actually planning on murdering 99% of Americans and taking over.

Or so you think :beck:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Forgall posted:

Have fun dying in the first waves of Obama's 2016 ethnic purge.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Forgall posted:

Some conservatives are actually saying that will literally happen. Projection 101.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/kobach-ethnic-cleansing-possible-if-hispanics-become-us-majority#sthash.XSaVmd9H.dpuf%22*

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 23, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

Have fun dying in the first waves of Obama's 2016 ethnic purge.

Camino de las Lágrimas sounds loving metal, I won't even be mad.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
It's really bizarre to me that conservative pundits use that analogy for illegal immigration. It hinges on the idea that European settlers, who they presumably identify with as founding the country, killed millions of people. Are they saying that wasn't actually acceptable? Surely white "illegal immigration" was good in their overall worldview?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kellsterik posted:

It's really bizarre to me that conservative pundits use that analogy for illegal immigration. It hinges on the idea that European settlers, who they presumably identify with as founding the country, killed millions of people. Are they saying that wasn't actually acceptable? Surely white "illegal immigration" was good in their overall worldview?

The idea is to tell white people not to be STUPID like the indigenous people, "WE'RE smarter than THEM!"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kellsterik posted:

No they understand the analogy perfectly well. They think race relations are a zero-sum game and the nonwhites will, if not kept in check, do the same thing they did.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

comes along bort posted:

No they understand the analogy perfectly well. They think race relations are a zero-sum game and the nonwhites will, if not kept in check, do the same thing they did.

More generally they believe all other people are selfish assholes too. This is the basis of the claim that anyone who immigrated legally is upset that others will have an easier time. The idea that someone could be compassionate, and not want others to suffer purely out of spite, is a foreign concept.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Good

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
It's almost like minorities are treated poorly or something. :getin:

On the other hand, this is probably the closest we will hear the self appointed leaders of the white race say that they have mistreated minorities. And with none of that pesky self-awareness.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, a leader in the anti-immigrant movement, said during his Sunday radio program that it’s possible that a Hispanic majority in the U.S. could conduct an “ethnic cleansing.”
No seriously, this poo poo is so drat weird to me, it's like watching somebody being scared that the sky is blue or that the leaves change color in the fall.

Kris, baby, the Hispanics will not ethnically cleanse you. I can state this with fact because I live in what you apparently consider a post-apocalyptic racial hellscape: I live in a majority-minority neighborhood in the 63% Hispanic city of San Antonio.

comes along bort posted:

I've posted this picture before, but seriously, race relations are not a goddamn zero-sum game; look at what San Antonio does every year at our annual Fiesta:

Everybody comes together and has a giant two-week long party with events, parades, alcohol, the whole shebang, and it's a hell of a lot of fun (and a traffic nightmare, but it's so loving worth it). I'm not saying San Antonio doesn't have racial issues, but we can somehow put aside most of our problems every year and just come together and have a giant party that crosses every racial and gender line.:toot:

Also yes, that is a Hispanic guy with a mustache wearing a giant sombrero unironically. Welcome to San Antonio, you ain't seen nothing yet.:getin:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

fade5 posted:

Kris, baby, the Hispanics will not ethnically cleanse you. I can state this with fact because I live in what you apparently consider a post-apocalyptic racial hellscape: I live in a majority-minority neighborhood in the 63% Hispanic city of San Antonio.

They're obviously biding their time, you see.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Around mexicans, never...kick back again?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stanos posted:

Around Hispanics, don't forget your Xanax.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stanos posted:

Around wetbacks, push for a flat tax.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Around the brown, don't lay down?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
If they ain't white, they ain't all right.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Around whites, remember your rights.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Around the corner, there's a New World Order.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Around crackers, assume the neckbeard are slackers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
around whites, internet fights

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
Open the church- There's all the people!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

evilweasel posted:

This country was basically built on poorly educated people from developing countries who immigrated here.

And that's putting it extremely charitably, since a goodly chunk of the people whose backs this country were built on were literally kidnapped and shipped over as human cattle.

fade5 posted:

No seriously, this poo poo is so drat weird to me, it's like watching somebody being scared that the sky is blue or that the leaves change color in the fall.

Don't want to derail too hard, but I've lived in Kansas pretty much my entire life and it's disappointingly not weird to me, at least not lately. :sigh: There have been yahoos with "THE I-35 INVASION" signs for decades. That said, the kind of things coming out of Brownback, Kobach, et al these days would have had them laughed out of Topeka fifteen years ago- there used to be a really strong moderate (well, center-right) tradition here where the two major parties went to pains to distance themselves from their Washington counterparts. Republicans stayed just to the left of their national party, the Dems just to the right of theirs. And even that is a weird bullshit change- before that, before anyone alive was born, when liberals and conservatives were literally having firefights, Kansas was the hotbed of the controversial progressive idea that maybe we shouldn't own other people.

Anyhow, you can see that Kansas moderate flavor even in motherfucking Brownback's record before becoming Governor, in which he has a hard time nailing down a consistent viewpoint but as a Senator seemed to be pretty centrist on immigration, at least in a vacuum:

quote:

Brownback supports increasing numbers of legal immigrants, building a fence on Mexican border, and the [Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act] "if enforced." While he initially supported giving guest workers a path to citizenship, Brownback eventually voted "Nay" on June 28, 2007. Brownback has said that he supports immigration reform because the Bible says to welcome the stranger.

There are honestly and truly a whole lot of things to love about Kansas. My Facebook over the past couple of days (months, years) has made these things harder and harder to remember. Is this going on in other right-leaning states? Or are we uniquely hosed out here?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember reading an article about an Arkansas state legislator who said "we're going to take this country back for conservatism" by one of his neighbors, and one of the quotes that I remember from it was "For the past few decades people like him have been making most of the noise and losing most of the elections here in the South, but they've been buoyed by Republicans' almost cult-like rejection of President Obama".

If anything, the past four years seem to have brought about the final demise of the Blue Dogs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember reading an article about an Arkansas state legislator who said "we're going to take this country back for conservatism" by one of his neighbors, and one of the quotes that I remember from it was "For the past few decades people like him have been making most of the noise and losing most of the elections here in the South, but they've been buoyed by Republicans' almost cult-like rejection of President Obama".

If anything, the past four years seem to have brought about the final demise of the Blue Dogs.

It'd be pretty funny if the next few years is a reversal of how the Gilded Age elections worked.

Malkamar
Mar 15, 2009
MY DEAD HUSBAND WAS FULL OF SHIT

Count Canuckula posted:

Open the church- There's all the people!

Here's the church
There's the steeple
Open up the door
Corporations are people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

on the left posted:

When people talk about the value of an educated society, they usually aren't referring to this. They are pointing out how great it is to live in a society of people who don't poo poo in the streets and aren't gullible superstitious peasants in general.

Agreed. Also: have you heard the good Word? It's "Innovation".

• Locked thread