Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i think the point is that yasuke was actually a real samurai but oda nobunaga was not actually a real anime girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

kept saying star fighter in prior posts when I meant squadrons. love that game, a rare pvp hit for me

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

oda nobunaga was not actually a real anime girl

:wrong:

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

are there any games where you play as Toyotomi Hideyoshi? that guy was an absolute fuckin psychopath. rose from peasant to nobunaga's main man and then lead a genocidal campaign through korea. killed his whole god damned family. a real piece of poo poo
so anyway can i pretend to be him?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Hatebag posted:

are there any games where you play as Toyotomi Hideyoshi? that guy was an absolute fuckin psychopath. rose from peasant to nobunaga's main man and then lead a genocidal campaign through korea. killed his whole god damned family. a real piece of poo poo

i dunno, he sorta looks like Japanese Tom Bombadil to me.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The respectable face I've seen the chuds try to give to their argument is quibbling over whether or not Yasuke was actually a samurai as defined by the socio-legal roles of 16th-century Japan. But the second you actually scratch at this argument (or put it into the context of how the Assassin's Creed series has twisted history in the past), they start screaming about DEI and woke and whatever other buzzwords are bouncing around in their brains. So its a pretty thin cover.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hatebag posted:

He was the guy the main rival warlord was loosely based on in shogun, yeah?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

idk, haven't seen it. he succeeded nobunaga, though, and invaded korea in the 1590s. i think he wasn't able to officially become shogun as he was born a peasant

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

that was ishida mitsunari

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i went to his castle in japan and they described his korean campaign as genocidal on the placards within the castle museum. and if the japanese are describing something japanese as genocidal that's bad news.
though it was funny in the hiroshima peace park there were monuments to korean people killed in the atomic bombing where the japanese text described them as guest workers while the korean text said they were conscripted prisoners, so there are probably a lot of audience-dependent translations

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Hideyoshi was one of the main antagonists in onimusha, for one, but a guy with his fame obviously shows up in a lot of stuff. if it makes you feel any better he's not usually portrayed in a flattering light

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

1stGear posted:

The respectable face I've seen the chuds try to give to their argument is quibbling over whether or not Yasuke was actually a samurai as defined by the socio-legal roles of 16th-century Japan. But the second you actually scratch at this argument (or put it into the context of how the Assassin's Creed series has twisted history in the past), they start screaming about DEI and woke and whatever other buzzwords are bouncing around in their brains. So its a pretty thin cover.

I was gonna say the criticism probably isn't about historical inaccuracies but how a black samurai is woke revisionism

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You get to be his best bud as he's climbing the ranks in Nioh 2.

He also shows up a lot in the Samurai Warriors games.

Edit: Somehow Hideyoshi and Tokugawa haven't shown up in Fate stuff, despite Nobunaga being a character that shows up often.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Hatebag posted:

nioh 2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hatebag posted:

you can play as him in Sengoku Basara
also Nioh 2 did a weird thing where Hideyoshi is split into two different characters, one of which is the custom character you play as and the other is the guy that goes crazy and starts murdering people.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

Hideyoshi was one of the main antagonists in onimusha, for one, but a guy with his fame obviously shows up in a lot of stuff. if it makes you feel any better he's not usually portrayed in a flattering light

i wonder how much of that general negativity towards him is due to his peasant background. because he was a central figure in making japan a country, and despite that seems to get no respect. hell, i could be all turned around on this guy. maybe I'm falling for propaganda. he could be a dracula type figure that had his name ruined by jealous haters over the centuries

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
hideyoshi is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EncxJenZN-w&t=90s

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know which Hideyoshi didn't kill his entire family?

That's right, Hideyoshi Ushiromiya. His wife killed some of them, though.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Hatebag posted:

i wonder how much of that general negativity towards him is due to his peasant background. because he was a central figure in making japan a country, and despite that seems to get no respect. hell, i could be all turned around on this guy. maybe I'm falling for propaganda. he could be a dracula type figure that had his name ruined by jealous haters over the centuries

the peasant origin hurt obviously, and he has a historical portrayal (of dubious fairness) as having ratfucked nobunaga to take his throne, when he could have made more of an effort to save him. one of the things most often written about him was how ugly he was, looking akin to a monkey, which bleeds through to a lot of pop culture portrayals. obviously some of this could have been poo poo slinging by his opponents but it's known even nobunaga would troll him over his appearance

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

1stGear posted:

the long and short of it is that we have a lot of evidence strongly suggesting that Yasuke was likely a samurai but we don't have, like, a piece of paper signed by Oda Nobunaga himself that says "Yasuke is a samurai" so to white dudes pretending to be Japanese on burner accounts they created 3 days ago this means he absolutely was not a samurai, guaranteed, and to say he was is disrespectful to japanese culture

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
actually we do

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cuttlefush posted:

actually we do

no that signed note uses a different word that isn't literally "samurai" so it doesn't count

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
samurai were both cops and bourgeois so actually they sucked and yasuke would be cooler if he wasn't one of them

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yasuke is still alive hiding in the japanese mountains

he will bring nobunaga back

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

but never mind that, more important news:

with the point of no return reached on yet another yakuza game and the ritual Pardoning of the Idiot performed, it is time once again friends for....

:siren:SHENANIGANS:siren:

yes indeed, until I finish this sucker and hit the main menu, anyone and everyone is free to post whatever they want, to whomever they want, free of repercussions! it's like my dumb rear end doesn't even exist!*

your hottest takes, your darkest grudges, your most gamefaqs-rear end spirit. anything and everything is fair game until I cross that finish line. what happens in Shenanigans stays in Shenanigans

Shenanigans commences from the time of this post until I formally declare it over. godspeed!

*unless you're an absolute freak, don't abuse this

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i dont like the ichiban games as much

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

nobunaga's glampbition - shogun glamping simulator. max out your shogun's pampered meter to win

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Al! posted:

sony is starting to get the idea that developing and selling actual hardware is a mugs game whereas digitally publishing good games made by devs people actually like is what makes money....nintendo will proabably be the last to fall but then again they have the exclusive franchise on zelda

fast forward to "how could my console not sell when it has no first-party games"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Buck Wildman posted:

but never mind that, more important news:

with the point of no return reached on yet another yakuza game and the ritual Pardoning of the Idiot performed, it is time once again friends for....

:siren:SHENANIGANS:siren:

yes indeed, until I finish this sucker and hit the main menu, anyone and everyone is free to post whatever they want, to whomever they want, free of repercussions! it's like my dumb rear end doesn't even exist!*

your hottest takes, your darkest grudges, your most gamefaqs-rear end spirit. anything and everything is fair game until I cross that finish line. what happens in Shenanigans stays in Shenanigans

Shenanigans commences from the time of this post until I formally declare it over. godspeed!

*unless you're an absolute freak, don't abuse this

I played both Sekiro and Ghost of Tsushima with the English dub. If I liked the Yakuza games, I would also probably play them with a dub.

1stGear has issued a correction as of 02:34 on May 18, 2024

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

1stGear posted:

I played both Sekiro and Ghost of Tsushima with the English dub. I liked the Yakuza games, I would also probably play them with a dub.

I have reached the conclusion that Y8 is actually better dubbed

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i have not known or seen anyone who buys $1k+ graphics cards and actually games on them for their entire time in gpu service, the people who own those just tend to run 3dmark every month, play two hours of the latest popular game, and then go back to computer touching and twitter posting

it is my theory that you are more likely to Game the more constrained your hardware is

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/_XboxNews/status/1791470718573543900

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The one thing I always heard about OG System Shock is everybody hated the cyberspace sections. They're fun in the remake though. Probably my favorite track in the game so far too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i have not known or seen anyone who buys $1k+ graphics cards and actually games on them for their entire time in gpu service, the people who own those just tend to run 3dmark every month, play two hours of the latest popular game, and then go back to computer touching and twitter posting

it is my theory that you are more likely to Game the more constrained your hardware is

The funny thing is that most people who get the powerful cards seemingly don't use them for the only legitimate use case where they give a significant benefit - gaming on a 120hz 4k display. I base this off of the fact that most "PC gamers" seem to do mouse + keyboard gaming on PC monitors (and even if those monitors are 4k, there's not a big difference between 4k and 1440 on a smaller display).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Oh my god a CoD around the Gulf War is going to be some of the most revisionist, racist poo poo you can imagine

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ytlaya posted:

The funny thing is that most people who get the powerful cards seemingly don't use them for the only legitimate use case where they give a significant benefit - gaming on a 120hz 4k display. I base this off of the fact that most "PC gamers" seem to do mouse + keyboard gaming on PC monitors (and even if those monitors are 4k, there's not a big difference between 4k and 1440 on a smaller display).

i haven't played a game that remotely fully utilizes my ryzen 5600 + 3070 on my 1440p150 monitor ever since i got them (used)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh my god a CoD around the Gulf War is going to be some of the most revisionist, racist poo poo you can imagine

maybe they will accurately depict saddam trying to avoid war and you play the guy who makes sure he doesnt get to avoid it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've never played Ur-Quan Masters.

Al! posted:

great game, old school pad and paper game, youre going to want to take notes

here's the manual if you want some l o r e: https://archive.org/details/starcontrol2manual/Star%20Control%202%20Manual/page/n13/mode/2up

otherwise, here's the wiki, just try not to spoil the game for yourself: https://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Main_Page

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Palladium posted:

fast forward to "how could my console not sell when it has no first-party games"

lol if tushima pc makes them a ton of money theyre going to slam uncharted and the last of us into pc with a frustrated grunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
corporate junkies living quarter to quarter on easy cash infusions lmao they wont be able to stop themselves at this point