Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KirbyKhan posted:

I have gotten used to Kiryu 's English dub.

gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

When you play Ghost of Tsushima you should basically treat it like it occurs in a fantasy world where samurai actually have this religious-like devotion to "honor." It's great once you buy into that, though, even if it's obviously not historically accurate.

I don't even mind that it's not accurate, I love Warriors games for instance, but the storytelling is so front loaded itself doesn't do any favors. Were the facial animations done for english voice acting tho? Because the jpn voice work looks a mismatch at times

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wonder if you can mod a survival mode into Tsushima

That would be pretty rad. Some of the curses look interesting, I think they can be used in NG+?

Ytlaya posted:

When you play Ghost of Tsushima you should basically treat it like it occurs in a fantasy world where samurai actually have this religious-like devotion to "honor." It's great once you buy into that, though, even if it's obviously not historically accurate.

Edit: the weird thing is that it occasionally plays with the idea of samurai not being as honorable as they claim, but mostly plays it straight with characters like Shimura. IIRC the DLC story is a bit more interesting in this regard.

It's like chivalry in an Arthurian settling. It's easy to get that mindset when you see the landscape depicts a beautiful unreality in the Golden Forest and that area with cherry blossoms. It's all a romantic depiction of samurai as they could be, or ought to have been, rather than what they were.

I mean, you follow foxes to shrines, and birds to treasure. The wind at your back guides you. It's very beautiful, but it's not trying to be KC:D for Japan.

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 15:17 on May 18, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cuttlefush posted:

gently caress you

Yong Yea plays Kiryu like a has been washed up Yakuza who sold the rest of his life to the Daidoji. He will never see the orphanage again and he is dying with a haircut bad enough to be bald. It is good actually.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
That's just Kiryu's plot

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The different Ichiban voices are interesting to me because they showcase the difference between the Japanese and American concepts of what a dumb well-meaning himbo guy sounds like

Also the English dub had Danny Trejo (who killed it) and the Japanese dub had a blond guy named "Bryce Fairchild" whose Japanese accent on English dialogue was so thick I couldn't understand him without subtitles

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I've said it so many times I didn't feel it was necessary for my debrief, but the bilingual stuff was horrible and they should have just stuck with Japanese even if it made no sense, which it barely did even as is

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

It's so bad I almost wonder if some of the VAs insisted on it as some kind of flex

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

also yes even for its time bushido, like chivalry, was 99% propaganda and pop culture bullshit. one of the reasons Musashi was so notorious was that he loudly and obnoxiously called this out and used it to gently caress with people

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yeah the actual people bushido lovers idolize were all mercenaries from minor clans who were paid in loot, rising to the top of society by murdering half their families.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
respect bushido

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

"bushido" in reality was basically:

1. Do whatever the boss says
2. Don't make the boss look bad
3. Do whatever you need to do, just don't get caught. Not because you'd be punished necessarily but because it would make the boss look bad - see rule 2

everything else was more or less etiquette: made up nonsense for samurai to feel superior and distinct to the lower classes

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Buck Wildman posted:

also yes even for its time bushido, like chivalry, was 99% propaganda and pop culture bullshit. one of the reasons Musashi was so notorious was that he loudly and obnoxiously called this out and used it to gently caress with people

Wasn't he sort of a victim of his own success, since his books have been absorbed into the bushido "canon"?

iirc it was ironically during the Meiji era, when samurai became bureaucrats and army and navy officers, that carrying particular types of swords around and all of this ritual became really important. It's like how the golden age of knightly tournaments was in the 1500s, when armoured men on horseback were ironically becoming irrelevant on the battlefield, and instead Ritters were becoming the civil servants and army officers of the Holy Roman Empire? Or the viking sagas that are best remembered were written in an already Christian Scandinavia of mostly peaceful farmers and an emerging feudal nobility in the 1000's and 1100's?

There's a pattern there, but I'm not quite how to put it. Officially sanctioned nostalgia?

e: It's been forever since I've read Asian military history, but am I on the right track in remembering that, except for the Genpei War and maybe Mongol invasion, the ashigaru on foot with cheap armour and pikes were dominant on the battlefield? That would pair with the European preoccupation with knighthood coinciding with pike and shot pushing them off the battlefield.

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 16:21 on May 18, 2024

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

remake bushido blades damnit

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

There's a pattern there, but I'm not quite how to put it. Officially sanctioned nostalgia?

pretty standard cultural engineering. the bakufu was all about weird sumptuary laws because it saw class mobility as a inherently destabilizating force like the ikko-ikki. didnt really work in the long term because they still ran into the "indebted noble" problem

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm not an expert on musashi's ideology by any means. as I understand it the crux of his belief was that the sword was, first and foremost, a weapon used by warriors and that anything else was frippery made up by samurai to cover up how bad they were at actually fighting

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

he basically thought that samurai and bushido was like children playing cowboys and indians

this isn't necessarily fair and we shouldn't act like Musashi was speaking truth to power or anything

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

there is only 1(3, JP only) game in the entire DS library that was improved or enabled by the stylus touchscreen and it’s elite beat agents

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

anime rules

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

cool av posted:

there is only 1(3, JP only) game in the entire DS library that was improved or enabled by the stylus touchscreen and it’s elite beat agents

the stylus was helpful for some tactical games like devil survivors but that's hardly an inventive use for it

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
There was an extremely detailed book on Samurai armour I was skimming in the reading room because someone had left it on their desk, and there was a detail I'm curious about. I seem to remember it saying that the big shoulder pads and elaborate stitching (I don't know any of the terminology), came from the Gempei War era, when samurai were mounted archers on horseback, to the point with the swords they carried hadn't been standardized at all. It pointed out that there's a functional reason for this, something about how bows and arrows worked in Asian warfare, and so the silhouette of a samurai was basically what you need to look like to not become a pin cushion in a specific time and place.

But it said that during the big samurai wars in the 15th and 16th centuries, that kind of armour was not functionally useful due to aforementioned pike and shot. However, the aesthetic became so important that there's evidence of functionally useless stitching (they could make larger armoured plates by then) and big square shoulder pads (?) that weren't actually good for fighting on foot against these masses of pikemen. As the big wars went on towards Sekigahara, it seems like samurai actually wore the same kind of black, cheap, iron armour as the footmen, but were always (?) depicted wearing these elaborate old fashioned, colourful, lacy (?) suits.

And then on top of that, when the samurai era actually ended in the 1860's, and when it was manufactured for sale to Europeans, you know, what Gilbert and Sullivan saw displayed in London, what GIs took home in the 40's, what go-go 80's execs had in their offices, armour was always depicted as it existed in the 1300s (?) rather than the practical battlefield attire of the bulk of the samurai era.

It seems really interesting, but I don't know anything about it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm sure the primary way samurai fought was the same way any noble warrior class from any society fought: they conscripted a bunch of peasants and stood in the back while the peasants fought for them

anyway, not really relevant to the thread but fun to think about. gonna try to get going on control tonight but I've got a lot of chores to do before then

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Wasn't he sort of a victim of his own success, since his books have been absorbed into the bushido "canon"?

iirc it was ironically during the Meiji era, when samurai became bureaucrats and army and navy officers, that carrying particular types of swords around and all of this ritual became really important. It's like how the golden age of knightly tournaments was in the 1500s, when armoured men on horseback were ironically becoming irrelevant on the battlefield, and instead Ritters were becoming the civil servants and army officers of the Holy Roman Empire? Or the viking sagas that are best remembered were written in an already Christian Scandinavia of mostly peaceful farmers and an emerging feudal nobility in the 1000's and 1100's?

e: It's been forever since I've read Asian military history, but am I on the right track in remembering that, except for the Genpei War and maybe Mongol invasion, the ashigaru on foot with cheap armour and pikes were dominant on the battlefield? That would pair with the European preoccupation with knighthood coinciding with pike and shot pushing them off the battlefield.

It's because the type of person who today takes on a 100k loan with 17% interest for an F350 Extended King Ranch Kindermulcher with tow mirrors and a 7 foot bed because a make work position pushing papers isn't satisfying is actually not a new or special type of person at all.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
they just used cuirasses they bought or reverse-engineered from the spanish, and since the spaniards didn't use elaborate shoulder armor there wasn't anything else to put there. also keep in mind every daimyo dressed as garishly as possible to act as a rallying point in battles

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Epic High Five posted:

It's because the type of person who today takes on a 100k loan with 17% interest for an F350 Extended King Ranch Kindermulcher with tow mirrors and a 7 foot bed because a make work position pushing papers isn't satisfying is actually not a new or special type of person at all.

lol I think you nailed it. Goddamn.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Honest Thief posted:

my cousins ps5 has ghost of tsushima in it so i played it for a hour or two and, beautiful game, simply gorgeous, but it's way too corny with its, I dunno, can you call it orientalism? but it's trying so hard to mimic cinematic language and it sucks at it
in one of the flashback tutorials Jin learns the code of the warrior, stare your enemy in the way as you take your life, because you're samurai, and samurai is justice yadda yadda, and they frame the scene by just having the camera on the side and Jin does a simple Heavy slash on the nameless npc

but what about the kurosawa mode

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Making a killing running a Big Stupid Chestplate dealership in 1500's Spain, ah yes Sire peasants will move aside in awe and your fellows will be green with envy, who can put a price on that? Ah and what better way to truly show the world you're a man to reckon with than an ornate codpiece? "Package" discounts available haha, the new year's model just came in and wouldn't it be grand to be the first person in your barony to be seen with one...

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Epic High Five posted:

Making a killing running a Big Stupid Chestplate dealership in 1500's Spain, ah yes Sire peasants will move aside in awe and your fellows will be green with envy, who can put a price on that? Ah and what better way to truly show the world you're a man to reckon with than an ornate codpiece? "Package" discounts available haha, the new year's model just came in and wouldn't it be grand to be the first person in your barony to be seen with one...

Isn't this sort of what Augsburg and Milan were?

Instead of Alfa Romeos, Ferraris and Lambos, the hot imports for the newly rich were Milanese plate.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mercurial Ivo's Big Stupid Codpiece Dealership

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The same reason with obsession over swords, oriental or not.
A lot nicer to think of yourself in epic duels with your mighty armor rather than watching lightly armored peasants spear each other to death.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Epic High Five posted:

*Nobleman walks through town in his big stupid armor, visor down, oblivious to and uncaring of the fact that his vision is too restricted for him to have noticed a group of children, who now lie mangled behind him*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Isn't this sort of what Augsburg and Milan were?

Instead of Alfa Romeos, Ferraris and Lambos, the hot imports for the newly rich were Milanese plate.

The lifting of the prohibitions on divorce was probably for these people what WW1 was for the cavalry regiments of the nobility

A Buttery Pastry posted:

*Nobleman walks through town in his big stupid armor, visor down, oblivious to and uncaring of the fact that his vision is too restricted for him to have noticed a group of children, who now lie mangled behind him*

I'm pretty sure they'd literally just trample anybody who got in the way of their horses and considered doing so to be the natural order of things, which is of course another thing you can transfer with only the most cosmetic of changes to wording to the modern day and almost certainly backwards from then another 1000 years. The sunglasses truck video rant guy is as old a type of guy as agriculture

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

with a grinding creak he turns back to look at me upon hearing the sound. I give him two giant thumbs up as I gesture behind me to the shop urchin to clean it up

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I thought the whole point of Tsushima was that honor was bullshit as idiot MC becomes smarter and more dishonorable to save his people and learns how poo poo life for the non-Samurai is. And his dumbass uncle doesn't get that so he disowns him.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Rolling coal by feeding your charger peas to make it gassy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Epic High Five posted:

I'm pretty sure they'd literally just trample anybody who got in the way of their horses and considered doing so to be the natural order of things, which is of course another thing you can transfer with only the most cosmetic of changes to wording to the modern day and almost certainly backwards from then another 1000 years. The sunglasses truck video rant guy is as old a type of guy as agriculture
True, but the idea of doing it on foot is a lot funnier.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

I thought the whole point of Tsushima was that honor was bullshit as idiot MC becomes smarter and more dishonorable to save his people and learns how poo poo life for the non-Samurai is. And his dumbass uncle doesn't get that so he disowns him.

the whole point of the game is that samurai are ftw

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the whole point of the game is that samurai are ftw

I haven't tried it yet but isn't it a perfectly valid way to play to just boot in the door and go KONBANWA MOTHERFUCKERS Y'ALL AIN'T poo poo as alarm bells clang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, 100%. You can ignore all the stealth stuff and just go "duel me!" To every camp you see and try to slice down every dude. It's great. Fun game, surface deep in it's interest in Kurosawa but they nail the look