Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
beat hades 1, pretty great game. you can see all of their other games come out in it and feels like their magnum opus

going to play ff12 next i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

err posted:

beat hades 1, pretty great game. you can see all of their other games come out in it and feels like their magnum opus

Good choice, FFXII:TZA is the 2nd best Final Fantasy

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

err posted:

gj I liked ff12 even if I thought it got kinda old toward the end

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

getting the urge to go back and finish tsushima now, I got the open world fatigue going a little over halfway through. loved yelling at any enemy in sight to come fight me and the one on one duels were great

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think he's supposed to be horrifyingly naive and unable to conceive that the enemy isn't playing by the same rules
ok good. I wasn’t sure if it was purestrain nippon goonnery or in on the bit

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I’m playing lethal and the one on one fights reminds me of Bushido Blade 1

whatever happened to that series anyways?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I'm no scholar on the subject (only read one book on it) but from what I recall the Imjin War was very much a case of samurai having someone to fight, though the main driver was Toyotomi Hideyoshi's imperial ambitions

After the national free-for-all that was the period of struggle that put Hideyoshi on the throne, he figures, hey, this conquering poo poo is easy! So he establishes contact with some Portuguese (or Spanish? I don't remember) colonial holdings and demands their submission. Only, his intermediaries deliberately soften his message to a request for friendship, and the colonial intermediaries send him some gifts, well wishes, and a map detailing just how vast their mother empire is. And Toyotomi messengers sell him the story that they pledged allegiance to him. So Toyotomi goes, nice, so my vassal rules like half the world. Only half to go!

So he starts a campaign of colonial conquest in Korea, where his samurai are basically left to die because what do you mean you need reinforcements? All my people at court tell me this war is going tremendously! Mind you, this was also the war where a Korean admiral torched his entire fleet before any Japanese made landfall or even came into contact with his ships, because he was just that much of a coward. So you can imagine just how many unforced errors there were on the Japanese side.

Toyotomi's culture of fear and messengers eager to keep their heads eventually ends years later with a Chinese delegation at the Japanese court, after a nice evening of the Emperor putting on a theater play (where he is the starbecause he'sjust that good or so people tell him). And the lid is blown off the whole thing, because the Chinese delegation thought they were there to make him a vassal, they even got him a nice coat that says "I'm a vassal", and Toyotomi thinks they are there to agree to China becoming his vassal and calling the entire war off.

Ramie has issued a correction as of 21:59 on May 18, 2024

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Climbing a tree in CrossCode. Guess that's what will trigger the second part of the town opening? Kinda mad at those guard NPCs. I can see the drill dude from here!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I want a coat that says "I'm a vassal" on it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

err posted:

Ff12 made so many people mad when it came out but it's good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm captain basch fon ronsenburg of dalmasca!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i'm still mad about the zodiac spear!!!

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Look If you didn't immediately grasp that not opening some specific treasures is required 100h later then you didn't really want that spear anyway.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Epic High Five posted:

:dafuq:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I thought the whole point of Tsushima was that honor was bullshit as idiot MC becomes smarter and more dishonorable to save his people and learns how poo poo life for the non-Samurai is. And his dumbass uncle doesn't get that so he disowns him.

The game tries to add "nuance" to this by indicating that, in the late game, Mongols are using Jin's poison to massacre civilians, and civilians are now using Jin's poison against each other.

So it's basically trying to imply that there will be unforeseen negative consequences, even though it's kind of absurd. Like Jin's use of stealth and poison is akin to releasing the atomic bomb.

KirbyKhan posted:

Yong Yea plays Kiryu like a has been washed up Yakuza who sold the rest of his life to the Daidoji. He will never see the orphanage again and he is dying with a haircut bad enough to be bald. It is good actually.

This isn't the issue with Yong Yea's Kiryu. The issue is that his Kiryu sounds like "a guy with the exact same age and appearance of Yong Yea pretending to sound like an older man." It just makes you picture Yong Yea himself behind the mic. The biggest issue is that it straight-up sounds like "the voice of a younger man attempting to make his voice sound deep/gruff." It's an admirable effort on his part, but an impossible task.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 22:04 on May 18, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they should make a game like Tsushima but instead you're a hobo ronin killing people for money and then spending it all on booze

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Augus posted:

they should make a game like Tsushima but instead you're a hobo ronin killing people for money and then spending it all on booze

That's just the witcher

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Augus posted:

ronin were p much the only thing worse than a samurai for the community at large lol

also

Eason the Fifth posted:

That's just the witcher

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Whatever version of Fallout 3 is on game pass is just busted to hell. The radio keeps talking about the Enclave being beaten despite me never having done so, there's massive film grain spots appearing randomly on the screen, playing the game in windowed mode removes the fps cap so suddenly a bunch of guns stop working correctly, along with all the other bugs Bethesda never fixed in the original game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Buck Wildman posted:

ronin were p much the only thing worse than a samurai for the community at large lol

i wasn't implying that killing people for money and spending it all on booze was a morally righteous thing to do

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I was agreeing, though make no mistake I have my eye on you

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Buck Wildman posted:

I was agreeing, though make no mistake I have my eye on you

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

buck is right. ff12 is a top tier ff.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it's great, unique battle system, class system fixes the problems with the original. Great game.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

gambit system was cool i like being able to program my party members to do things instead of depending on lovely AI

(wish i could do this to other players in WoW)

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

err posted:

beat hades 1 too (well. im unsure if "beating" it means the same thing to everyone but escaped) a few days ago and yeah especially the presentation of the game is A+. refreshing.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Ramie posted:

I'm no scholar on the subject (only read one book on it) but from what I recall the Imjin War was very much a case of samurai having someone to fight, though the main driver was Toyotomi Hideyoshi's imperial ambitions

After the national free-for-all that was the period of struggle that put Hideyoshi on the throne, he figures, hey, this conquering poo poo is easy! So he establishes contact with some Portuguese (or Spanish? I don't remember) colonial holdings and demands their submission. Only, his intermediaries deliberately soften his message to a request for friendship, and the colonial intermediaries send him some gifts, well wishes, and a map detailing just how vast their mother empire is. And Toyotomi messengers sell him the story that they pledged allegiance to him. So Toyotomi goes, nice, so my vassal rules like half the world. Only half to go!

So he starts a campaign of colonial conquest in Korea, where his samurai are basically left to die because what do you mean you need reinforcements? All my people at court tell me this war is going tremendously! Mind you, this was also the war where a Korean admiral torched his entire fleet before any Japanese made landfall or even came into contact with his ships, because he was just that much of a coward. So you can imagine just how many unforced errors there were on the Japanese side.

Toyotomi's culture of fear and messengers eager to keep their heads eventually ends years later with a Chinese delegation at the Japanese court, after a nice evening of the Emperor putting on a theater play (where he is the starbecause he'sjust that good or so people tell him). And the lid is blown off the whole thing, because the Chinese delegation thought they were there to make him a vassal, they even got him a nice coat that says "I'm a vassal", and Toyotomi thinks they are there to agree to China becoming his vassal and calling the entire war off.

Thanks, that was really interesting.

I guess having a hyper militarized society confined to a tiny island poses problems, once the islands are unified. I wonder if it's like how the English went to Ireland and France after periods of unification in England, the Norman conquest, the War of the Roses, the Civil War.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Buck Wildman posted:

I want a coat that says "I'm a vassal" on it

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Xaris posted:

Core Keeper 1.0 officially announced: August 27

ive been playing it on/off during early access and it's quite good if you like that Minecraft-Terraria-Starbound game (moreso Terraria meets something like Zelda: LTTP). base building with bros and building expansive network of train tracks and conveyor belts is fun.

i think it's the best terraria-like since.. probably terraria

gently caress this is laser targeted at my idiot brain

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Popy posted:

gambit system was cool i like being able to program my party members to do things instead of depending on lovely AI

(wish i could do this to other players in WoW)
in the late 00s there were people in wow who had incredible kvm+macro setups to play multiple accounts at the same time to play raids practically 1/2 player, dunno if anyone bothers these days anymore

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

i wasn't implying that killing people for money and spending it all on booze was a morally righteous thing to do

Oh yeah? And what do you do that's so "morally righteous"? Maybe get your own poo poo in order before criticizing others just because they live a little differently from you.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
FF12 without the zodiac job board was way better, it's not a game that needed a worse job system than FF1, and one of these days I should actually finish a playthrough and not stop around 60hrs

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

cool av posted:

beat hades 1 too (well. im unsure if "beating" it means the same thing to everyone but escaped) a few days ago and yeah especially the presentation of the game is A+. refreshing.

beating it is escaping 10 times

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

World War Mammories posted:

beating it is escaping 10 times

beating it is getting all of skelly's statues :sickos:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
some of the hades stuff isn't explained too well. i didn't know about the companions you could get until after i beat it and a few other things like legendary weapons.

you really needed to use your codex and google a bit about the quests.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

FF12 without the zodiac job board was way better, it's not a game that needed a worse job system than FF1, and one of these days I should actually finish a playthrough and not stop around 60hrs

deciding that what the game needed was a job system that locked your characters into a job from the moment you got them is definitely a choice

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
when I played og XII I built my party with roles in mind anyways, so the zodiac board didn't really add anything for me. were you people grinding to clear the board or something?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

when I played og XII I built my party with roles in mind anyways, so the zodiac board didn't really add anything for me. were you people grinding to clear the board or something?

thats what you are supposed to even in 1

you can beat the game iwth 4 white mages lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Epic High Five posted:

I appreciate that you acknowledge that Final Fantasy 14 is the best Final Fantasy even thought you haven't played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
SaGa Emerald is really good at working within its limitations and filling the game world with varied events and an addictive combat system
I'm glad Square made back its total budget of 40 dollars with my purchase

Zokari posted:

deciding that what the game needed was a job system that locked your characters into a job from the moment you got them is definitely a choice

took them the remaster to add dual classing and then even later on to consider a respec option