Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bullets seems to be at either end of the lethality spectrum in anime/manga.

They either basically do nothing, or being shot anywhere by a bullet of any caliber makes you fatally bleed out in 2 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm pretty sure it's well established in anime that bullets are waaay low, like down at the bottom, on the ladder of actual danger. Pretty sure swords, arrows and, like, a loving water balloon are consistently far more powerful.

In most anime probably, but in MHA they didn't have water balloons pointed at AFO's head when he was in prison. Though that would have been amazing.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

Horikoshi *really* seems to love America is the answer.

Also with how the comic is going I still don't see how it's going to resolve in any way that doesn't involve stupid deus ex machinas or disregard a lot of the purpose of what was happening (looking at "gotta save Shiggy" here). And that's the real shame because even if there's nice lines in each chapter it's gonna read fuckin terribly as a whole.

Also once the series is done, jump to final war arc and take a shot for every time someone does a super move to no effect. Also pre-emptively call an ambulance lol

yeah remember the part in this chapter where all is lost but then america shows up and saves the day and nothing else is happening

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Think Overhaul is gonna show up at some point? We seem to have resolved most other dangling plot threads except that one.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
unironically tho as sloppy as a lot of....post-overhaul? mha has been i can't really find any fault with this. i am satisfied with the answer to how deku becomes the greatest hero (unlike all might he inspires everyone else to be the best they can be, instead of just relying on him, and also he's all mights hero)

and also you were never really gonna do better thematically then "every character ever is either clearing the path for the Final Punch or cheering him on"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, to be honest, it's a perfectly reasonable way to actually hit that mark. All-Might's entire thing is that he was so overwhelming strong and capable that people viewed him as a symbol of hope and trusted he would be there if poo poo got bad, and that was pretty explicitly called out as flawed because without him people lost confidence, while Deku being weaker but capable of making people want to help, rather than relying on him, is pretty in-line with what the series had foreshadowed from the very start. Dude's ultimate power is Friendship and since this is a shonen manga that is absolutely going to trump Can Split The Earth In Half.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

One for All as used by All Might restructured local weather patterns. So yes, One for All does punch hard enough to overcome those that is the point of (the physical strength stockpiling) One for All.

Like that is in fact just how the power works, it punches that hard, we've known this for most of the story. You're surprised One for All is stronger than a railgun and a plasma cannon?

.... does the part where i only said I found it funny just get ignored?

It's also in a story where people die by getting hit with rocks in the face, falling off buildings and where bullets are actually shown to be lethal. It's not like other manga where these things are treated like something you can walk off, so it's funny because durability is all over the place for each of these characters

it's weird that you're getting so defensive about such a innocuous comment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm pretty sure it's well established in anime that bullets are waaay low, like down at the bottom, on the ladder of actual danger. Pretty sure swords, arrows and, like, a loving water balloon are consistently far more powerful.

Depends on the anime/genre/scale of things as with everything. Guns in One Punch Man vs Spy X Family would be treated vastly different in reaction

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Depends on the anime/genre/scale of things as with everything. Guns in One Punch Man vs Spy X Family would be treated vastly different in reaction

To be honest it depends on the Spy x Family charater. Loid? Yes. Yor? Guns are for funny comedy about how she can't sit down.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Well if this is how the story ends it's fine I guess. Idk. I feel pretty disappointed in the way Deku ended up considering what I expected from him at the beginning of the series. It's like... well... he did take One For All, that's for sure, and he used it for a while, and he did okay enough with it even if he kept breaking his arms and poo poo. I thought by the end he would kinda end up a big badass and not like, the manga version of Rudy Ruettiger. Oh well what can you do

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Deku ending the series quirkless but still a hero is actually very thematically appropriate and better than I expected. Looking forward to the epilogue where he works as some kind of organizer/mission control guy.

It still sucks overall tho.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

Well if this is how the story ends it's fine I guess. Idk. I feel pretty disappointed in the way Deku ended up considering what I expected from him at the beginning of the series. It's like... well... he did take One For All, that's for sure, and he used it for a while, and he did okay enough with it even if he kept breaking his arms and poo poo. I thought by the end he would kinda end up a big badass and not like, the manga version of Rudy Ruettiger. Oh well what can you do

I mean the entire premise is that the boy with no Quirk was already a great hero regardless of the power he had, and All-Mighty chose that boy not for optimal power (because optimally giving AFO to someone with a Quirk would have lead to someone even stronger) but because of his heart.

It's cheesy as shiiiiit but I don't think anyone expected Deku Is THe Greatest Hero would just be he becomes Superman.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

AI generated image of Will Smith eating spaghetti.

But it's Deku slurping up Shiggy's hair to get One for All back.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the entire premise is that the boy with no Quirk was already a great hero regardless of the power he had, and All-Mighty chose that boy not for optimal power (because optimally giving AFO to someone with a Quirk would have lead to someone even stronger) but because of his heart.

It's cheesy as shiiiiit but I don't think anyone expected Deku Is THe Greatest Hero would just be he becomes Superman.

idk I guess. All Might did factually choose him on the spur of the moment based off a single thing he saw him do, so the power of his heart being the deciding factor isn't really portrayed well. I did think that, considering All Might was training him up to learn how to properly use One for All and become his replacement, he'd end the series with One for All and at least performing a heroic role.

If he loses his powers I dunno where he'll end up. I mean he has no experience doing heroics without a quirk and he never even attempted any kind of heroic anything before he met All Might.

I'm just left with the feeling like I dunno if All Might had given OfA to another random person besides Deku things wouldn't even end up different.

e: anyway for all I know in the next chapter Deku is gonna get All for All and have the power to recreate reality with no limits or something so no real point in talking about it now

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 14, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

idk I guess. All Might did factually choose him on the spur of the moment based off a single thing he saw him do, so the power of his heart being the deciding factor isn't really portrayed well. I did think that, considering All Might was training him up to learn how to properly use One for All and become his replacement, he'd end the series with One for All and at least performing a heroic role.

If he loses his powers I dunno where he'll end up. I mean he has no experience doing heroics without a quirk and he never even attempted any kind of heroic anything before he met All Might.

I'm just left with the feeling like I dunno if All Might had given OfA to another random person besides Deku things wouldn't even end up different.

e: anyway for all I know in the next chapter Deku is gonna get All for All and have the power to recreate reality with no limits or something so no real point in talking about it now

All Might chose him at that moment because he saw a powerless person trying to help. It was spur of the moment but it was explicitly because of his heart and nothing else because at that point Deku didn't even have his garbage cleaning muscles.

And a major point is that Deku is who he is without his powers, not because of his powers. Even if he loses his powers he's still obviously going to try to keep helping people. (Also in a more direct sense, "Melissa Shield made All-Might fuckin' Power Armor so he could fight in the final battle, it is extremely not hard to imagine her making Deku a fancy Batman suit.")

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
One of the things that Deku has shown repeatedly is that he's extremely flexible and capable of rapid adaptation to a myriad of different power sources and their applications, so it's not really implausible for him to figure out how to be a hero without having the super punch power. He's good friends with Mei and knows Melissa Shield, so a powerless Deku could simply become Iron Man if they wanted to end on "Deku is still a practicing front-line hero".

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I guess those are all fair points. I was pretty invested in the super punching Deku outcome though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He’s gonna become Batman. Except friendly

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest it depends on the Spy x Family charater. Loid? Yes. Yor? Guns are for funny comedy about how she can't sit down.

I feel like the variety of reactions only helps my point since Anya might have either reaction too.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think I'd be happier with deku ending the series without one for all if the reason he ended up powerless wasn't so terribly executed, for terrible reasons, with terrible explanations

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Jen X posted:

I think I'd be happier with deku ending the series without one for all if the reason he ended up powerless wasn't so terribly executed, for terrible reasons, with terrible explanations

Yeah this is my position. Deku having or not having One for All isn't the important part at all honestly.

One for All was either dying before Deku or with him, that was pretty clearly explained, it's more that punching a dude and being a hero for a hot second doesn't undo everything else that's been going on for years.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Deku dies suddenly and melts into fairies or something, and then All Might breathes them in and he becomes young and strong again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jen X posted:

I think the reason was fine, honestly it seemed like the most likely resolution for a long rear end time (One For All cancels out All For One, big dramatic sacrifice showing Deku’s the hero because he’s willing to give all that up), it’s just that like you say the execution and explanation are awful

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I know it's supposed to be inspirational and all, but everyone saying "do your best!" is really amusing to me. It's like none of them actually think Deku can do it, but he's probably their best chance, so get out there and do what you can kid.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rhonne posted:

I know it's supposed to be inspirational and all, but everyone saying "do your best!" is really amusing to me. It's like none of them actually think Deku can do it, but he's probably their best chance, so get out there and do what you can kid.

That's the point of this entire sequence. The reason why everyone is throwing themselves in suicidally to help Deku is because they recognize that he's not All Might and he can't do everything alone and he needs their help.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 14, 2024

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

This part of your complaint is really funny to me tbh. The series starts with him finishing middle school and having been chronically bullied up to that point because he didn't have superpowers in a world where everyone else does. "Why didn't this 12 year old who had been bullied for a while by a classmate whose sweat explodes do more heroics?"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Midoriya will spend the rest of his life cleaning beaches.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Kanos posted:

That's the point of this entire sequence. The reason why everyone is throwing themselves in suicidally to help Deku is because they recognize that he's not All Might and he can't do everything alone and he needs their help.

I think Rhonne meant more that if everyone was saying "You can do it!" etc, it feels more like cheering on. "Do your best" isn't particularly inspiring, and feels like something you tell a kid you know can't do it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

They should've thrown KitKats at Deku.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Given the state of his body at the moment, his active hero career's probably over and he'll be the #1 Teacher of #1 Heroes

"First step, run recklessly into danger. Step two, wait for someone to rescue you."
"But if we're all running into danger, who's saving us?"
"Don't know, don't care, just telling you what worked for me, and look how I turned out."
"..."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Marluxia posted:

I think Rhonne meant more that if everyone was saying "You can do it!" etc, it feels more like cheering on. "Do your best" isn't particularly inspiring, and feels like something you tell a kid you know can't do it.
Gonna guess it's probably a direct translation from ganbare/ganbatte

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Marluxia posted:

Yeah, and I probably would be as down on it if this wasn't right after Deku's big plan to save Shigaraki failed so miserably. If this whole sequence was the setup to Deku punching through Shiggy's trauma before, instead of All For One round 3(4? I've lost track at this point), it would probably have worked better for me.

Plus, then you wouldn't need the sequence of Eri ripping off her own horn just to replace Deku's arms. Could have ended the series with Deku becoming a teacher with cool robot hands instead.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Vinylshadow posted:

Given the state of his body at the moment, his active hero career's probably over and he'll be the #1 Teacher of #1 Heroes

"First step, run recklessly into danger. Step two, wait for someone to rescue you."
"But if we're all running into danger, who's saving us?"
"Don't know, don't care, just telling you what worked for me, and look how I turned out."
"..."

https://i.imgur.com/eHOQPNf.mp4

"U.A. made me the hero I am today."

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Midoroya will be revealed as a teacher at UA

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, and I probably would be as down on it if this wasn't right after Deku's big plan to save Shigaraki failed so miserably. If this whole sequence was the setup to Deku punching through Shiggy's trauma before, instead of All For One round 3(4? I've lost track at this point), it would probably have worked better for me.

Plus, then you wouldn't need the sequence of Eri ripping off her own horn just to replace Deku's arms. Could have ended the series with Deku becoming a teacher with cool robot hands instead.

This is easily my biggest complaint with this finale. horikoshi's pacing has been total dogwater, he can't seem to naturally build up to anything so we keep getting massive fuckoff crescendo moments that immediately go nowhere. these feel more like storyboards for the anime than anything.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Poops Mcgoots posted:

This part of your complaint is really funny to me tbh. The series starts with him finishing middle school and having been chronically bullied up to that point because he didn't have superpowers in a world where everyone else does. "Why didn't this 12 year old who had been bullied for a while by a classmate whose sweat explodes do more heroics?"

idk sure but shonen manga are full of super-determined kids that struggle to achieve their goals even when they're seemingly impossible.

I know Deku isn't that type of shonen protagonist but I'm left wondering what he is exactly. He mostly seems like a guy who gets blown around by stronger personalities

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

idk sure but shonen manga are full of super-determined kids that struggle to achieve their goals even when they're seemingly impossible.

I know Deku isn't that type of shonen protagonist but I'm left wondering what he is exactly. He mostly seems like a guy who gets blown around by stronger personalities

Deku is the shonen protagonist who has a strong heart but lacks the power to fulfill it until he lucks into a situation that allows him to do so. You see them relatively often, sometimes mixed in with "is good at kendo/is a punk who can win fistfights easily/etc" where they justify their natural skill as a way to get supernatural prowess.

Recent other examples are Asta or Yuji (though Yuji's kind of cheating since he was supernaturally strong even before he got finger powers.) It does commonly run into the secondary concept of "This person SEEMED entirely normal but it turns out their dad was a demon" or something, which surprisingly MHA avoided unless Deku's dad shows up at the last second to be AFO or it is revealed Deku had a super powerful quirk the entire time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 15, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Izuku's Quirk is going to be revealed to be his passion. Even having given up on dreaming of being a hero he still loved them despite that, despite how many grenade punches he took behind the school for being 'inferior' to most other people.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Right as All for One dissolves into nothing he says, "you did well... My sooooooon" oh poo poo All for Dad confirmed!

In the epilogue it shows society rebuilding pretty much identically to what it was before and Deku monologues, "And that's how I became the greatest hero, by restoring the status quo to exactly how it was, and learning my place as a quirkless nobody."

Bakugo proceeds to then punch the poo poo out of him while outro music plays.

We've been on the run
Driving in the sun
Looking out for number one
California here we come
Right back where we started from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

Right as All for One dissolves into nothing he says, "you did well... My sooooooon" oh poo poo All for Dad confirmed!

In the epilogue it shows society rebuilding pretty much identically to what it was before and Deku monologues, "And that's how I became the greatest hero, by restoring the status quo to exactly how it was, and learning my place as a quirkless nobody."

Bakugo proceeds to then punch the poo poo out of him while outro music plays.

We've been on the run
Driving in the sun
Looking out for number one
California here we come
Right back where we started from

It'll do Rocksteady's Suicide Squad ending, with the reveal that they've been able to defeat THIS world's All for One, but there are *insert number here* All for Ones that have been secretly collaborating with one another and now you must unite with those other alternate dimension's heros and have EVEN BIGGER MORE SLOG BATTLES. :haw: A "Grand Tour" of other UA Schools. Where more teen hijinks can happen and Midoriya can cry some more about things.

Eeeeverybody's fuckin happy.