Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
On that note, I really hope Deku isn't basically going to tell Spinner "Hey, keep trying to destroy society. lmao"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

On that note, I really hope Deku isn't basically going to tell Spinner "Hey, keep trying to destroy society. lmao"

I think it's more like "I did the work, stand down"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
super sucks that the resolution to spinner's arc was "you freaks need to be cooler about how we're racist to you" and "all your friends are dead"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This middling end only seems fine because every other plot beat leading to it was bungled as hard as possible and you don't have to give it to this for not falling on its face as hard as every other part.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

super sucks that the resolution to spinner's arc was "you freaks need to be cooler about how we're racist to you" and "all your friends are dead"

Debi is technically alive, but I don't think he really liked anyone in the League, he just used them all to help further his "murder my family" plan. Jury is still out on Toga's status. If she manages to survive, she'll probably be better off than the rest of the League. Compress is still alive, just with no rear end.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So we can’t possibly have too much left to go at this point can we? Seems like from here we can probably move into epilogue territory and finally let this series die

I’d still like a Vigilantes anime someday however

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

this does nothing for me

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nephthys posted:

I think the story had enough to justify Deku's decision since it turned out that he really couldn't beat Shigaraki in a straight fight, so it didn't feel like Deku was risking everything to save Shigaraki so much as saving Shigaraki was the option left to win.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, this at least seems to be the case. It seems like giving OfA to AfO/Shigaraki was necessary to make him beatable, since it caused his body to break down (even if it feels kinda silly for an ultrapowerful guy with super-regeneration to not be able to handle OfA). While OfA hosed up Deku early on, he was still fixable, and AfO/Shigaraki's regeneration is like 1000x as strong as Healing Girl's (or whatever her name was).

Though that still has the issue of making Deku's "choice" to try and save Shigaraki not really a choice, since there wasn't any "just choose to beat/kill him normally" option - he was effectively forced into giving him OfA.

If that's what he was going for, sure, I guess, but it doesn't make any sense with what we know about OfA. OfA kills you if your body is too fragile to handle it. All Might was fine because he was yoked as gently caress and Deku got better and better at dealing with it as he got more fit and comfortable with it. AfO Shigaraki is a genetically altered invincible superman with hyper regeneration that eats up railgun shots and an innate mastery over hundreds of quirks. It would have made substantially more sense for the OfA users to rampage around inside him and gently caress him up like Star did(remember that plot idea?) to act as the catalyst for "Deku punches Shigaraki's Soul" to work than "oh no, I cannot handle this quirk that a teenager who was quirkless a year and a half ago and had to go on a crash muscle building regime to even receive it was handling".

There's also the whole thing where "killing Shigaraki" wasn't actually the original goal and that this happened to work is a happy accident, since the plan they were down to once it didn't immediately work was "Deku physically punches AfO Shigaraki again but with only embers of his power and now the villain has all the powers Deku used to have".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 17, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My response to this chapter can be summed up as, sure alright then.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This middling end only seems fine because every other plot beat leading to it was bungled as hard as possible and you don't have to give it to this for not falling on its face as hard as every other part.

Surely a 'middling' end is the definition of fine?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If I served you a fine French meal, then kicked you in the head, then gave you a McFlurry, you'd probably be pissed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Comparing a 50 to a 65 here.

Neito posted:

If I served you a fine French meal, then kicked you in the head, then gave you a McFlurry, you'd probably be pissed.

but also this

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Watching AfO try to no sell another punch only for everything to crumble into dust was pretty satisfying after seeing him do that for over a year in earlier chapters.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Kanos posted:

If that's what he was going for, sure, I guess, but it doesn't make any sense with what we know about OfA. OfA kills you if your body is too fragile to handle it. All Might was fine because he was yoked as gently caress and Deku got better and better at dealing with it as he got more fit and comfortable with it. AfO Shigaraki is a genetically altered invincible superman with hyper regeneration that eats up railgun shots and an innate mastery over hundreds of quirks. It would have made substantially more sense for the OfA users to rampage around inside him and gently caress him up like Star did(remember that plot idea?) to act as the catalyst for "Deku punches Shigaraki's Soul" to work than "oh no, I cannot handle this quirk that a teenager who was quirkless a year and a half ago and had to go on a crash muscle building regime to even receive it was handling"

One For All explicitly burnt out your body much faster if you already had a quirk so it makes sense if you had a hundred quirks it would cause you to just explode after 2 minutes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I thought it was less that his body couldn't handle One For All and more of a combination of his body being greatly weakened from the previous battle(All For One mentioned that after he regained control) making him more vulnerable to big punches and the souls of One For All and Shigaraki waking up and fighting back from within

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

One For All explicitly burnt out your body much faster if you already had a quirk so it makes sense if you had a hundred quirks it would cause you to just explode after 2 minutes.

It burns out the bodies of normal people who already have a quirk because bodies can't handle having more than one quirk. AfO is a dude who explicitly has hundreds and hundreds of quirks already and he's also in a body that is genetically engineered to be close to invincible and be able to tank railgun shots and plasma cannons and jet lasers.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Comparing a 50 to a 65 here.

This is Japan. That counts as passing score if anime midterms are accurate.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Doc Fission posted:

Smash cut to far future epilogue with Deku telling his son Midoriya All Might Tomura he was named after the bravest men he ever knew

Got a big :lol: from me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Deku, tearfully at Spinner's hospital bedside: "His last words were 'gamers rise up'" and then he wakes up.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

...Huh.

That was a pretty unsatisfying ending to the fight but there were some nice panels and moments in this chapter so I have mixed feelings.

I hope Horikoshi gets to write enough of an epilogue to help round things out a little more. I think he's earned it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Arist posted:

this does nothing for me

yep. feels like naruto ending but we don't even have a bakugo vs deku fight for reasons

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Rhonne posted:

I thought it was less that his body couldn't handle One For All and more of a combination of his body being greatly weakened from the previous battle(All For One mentioned that after he regained control) making him more vulnerable to big punches and the souls of One For All and Shigaraki waking up and fighting back from within

this was also my take, given how the transfer of OFA/vestiges was to attack shigaraki's psyche-- also the only reason AFO has any control of the body to begin with

i mean AFO's entire plan was to take OFA and he has a ton of quirks without suffering any ill consequence, imo he's eating a big punch while also getting forced out of shigaraki's mind bc punch re-awakened vestiges/shiggy

stuker fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 18, 2024

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

It burns out the bodies of normal people who already have a quirk because bodies can't handle having more than one quirk. AfO is a dude who explicitly has hundreds and hundreds of quirks already and he's also in a body that is genetically engineered to be close to invincible and be able to tank railgun shots and plasma cannons and jet lasers.

And it burnt out anyways, yes. Did you think that was building to something?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
This series started out as "Naruto, but without all the bad parts" and ended up as "Naruto, but with way more bad parts".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least we got our Night Guy moment with Armored All Might

What more do we need, really

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vinylshadow posted:

At least we got our Night Guy moment with Armored All Might

What more do we need, really

The sending of all US heroes to Japan of course

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the anime got to the traitor/Hagakure face reveal today

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kild posted:

yep. feels like naruto ending but we don't even have a bakugo vs deku fight for reasons

Naruto at least had the genuinely funny thing of Naruto using the reverse-harem jutsu on Kaguya.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

And it burnt out anyways, yes. Did you think that was building to something?

I assumed that if they were going to have him be destroyed via mind palace, they'd actually use the example they established on screen of when Star went hog wild in Shigaraki's head except with the 8 OfA ghosts that Deku blew off his arms to inject in there or by him waking up Shigaraki's spirit to go hog wild in AfO(either of which would have given Star's arc some retroactive meaning and purpose). Instead he just goes "oh no my tummy hort" and the ghosts don't wake up until after he's already dying.

Having Shigaraki involved in the defeat of AfO probably would have felt more satisfying, too.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Larryb posted:

Also the anime got to the traitor/Hagakure face reveal today

this reveal was so...inexplicable lol. her being invisible 24/7 was the point i thought, and she doesn't look particularly remarkable it's just...okay! didn't even know she had a face.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mymla posted:

This series started out as "Naruto, but without all the bad parts" and ended up as "Naruto, but with way more bad parts".

Naruto with extra naruto.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Ytlaya posted:

Naruto at least had the genuinely funny thing of Naruto using the reverse-harem jutsu on Kaguya.

Oh I totally forgot about that. That was some fantastic payoff.

It probably wasn't intentional on Hori's part but still think about the Bakugou vs baby AFO panels and crack up

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Nuebot posted:

Naruto with extra naruto.

a shadow clone jutsu, if you will

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Oh I totally forgot about that. That was some fantastic payoff.

It probably wasn't intentional on Hori's part but still think about the Bakugou vs baby AFO panels and crack up

I’m still in awe of ‘GLOOP WARP’ and ‘He was an arrogant baby’.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There’s a lot that could be said about this manga past a certain point, but in all honesty I got what I wanted a while ago (Bakugo giving Deku an actual “I’m sorry, I was a loving hater Izuku, you were the real hero all along) and then he bullied a evil coughing baby, so it’s really okay, all things considered.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You know what, this has been a really stupid ending.

But I'll see how it plays out animated to give my final view.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-423/chapter/42810?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1021189

serious gaylord posted:

You know what, this has been a really stupid ending.
Mostly agreed

serious gaylord posted:

But I'll see how it plays out animated to give my final view.
For me the anime hasn't been better than the manga in like 4 seasons. Not optimistic that will change.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

There’s a lot that could be said about this manga past a certain point, but in all honesty I got what I wanted a while ago (Bakugo giving Deku an actual “I’m sorry, I was a loving hater Izuku, you were the real hero all along) and then he bullied a evil coughing baby, so it’s really okay, all things considered.

Did Sasuke ever apologize to Naruto or Sakura? And he sure had a lot more to apologize for, too, what with all the attempted murder and stuff.

Listen, I can't vouch for how I'll feel about MHA's ending, but I have faith that Hori will not have something as outright disgusting as the whole Karin situation.
"Fangirl is nearly murdered by her obsession."
"She looks like she'll finally overcome her delusions and hate the man who nearly ended her, even after she had devoted herself to him."
"....not! She loves him again!"

If anything like that happens in MHA, I might turn on it, but I don't think it will.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

NikkolasKing posted:

Did Sasuke ever apologize to Naruto or Sakura?

He has another half-assed apology towards the end for stabbing Sakura in the gut and telling her she's poo poo, which was apparently enough to make up for all of the verbal abuse, physical abuse, attempted murder, and treason because they get married afterwards. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Did Sasuke ever apologize to Naruto or Sakura? And he sure had a lot more to apologize for, too, what with all the attempted murder and stuff.

They're literally all child soldiers. They spent large arcs that were exams just beating the poo poo out of one another. That's not a huge deal in universe. Sasuke's crimes are "Trying and failing to kill the kages and getting his poo poo rocked." and "Killing the Ninja CIA Guy with all his family's eyeballs installed in his arm" which....that's a weekend of public service and a medal IMO.

Oh and 'treason' I guess but the series is not very positive on how the leaf village had been run both historically and very recently. See: The Ninja CIA doing Orochimaru poo poo just right behind the curtain. Like Naruto's entire childhood is framed as a failure and gently caress up by the town and those that run it and when we finally get to meet the old leaders of the town its "A guy who tried to do good but hosed up repeatedly". "That guy's brother the racist hyper phrenologist that explains the uchiha brain pan is unable to feel joy or love after it gets too sad" The third who sees the generation of failure as his own sin to bear and Naruto's dad.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 19, 2024