Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Was that so hard? It's hard to believe that the show is recorded in advance.

What is hard to believe about that? Imagine that you are there, are you going to be idiot who is going to tell the Boss' husband that the way he spoke was not perfect? gently caress NO! people have been skinned alive for much less.

As for Croberts himself I bet he loathes doing that poo poo and would never do a second take anyways. All he cares about is SQ42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

you, sir, just got octopoded

he's an it guy so of course he'll see the problems in their network and server stack

I play a lot of nintendo games so I would focus on their lack of fun

also color

I don't always get your gimmick but I appreciate the effort it must take

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Octopode posted:

There's almost no interdependence there that should have caused big issues between spatial positioning and render code and gameplay systems.

this is why i'll never take you seriously

you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about and yet you're certain you're right

if someone would ask you to source this you'd do some defensive :smug: "why don't you find it out yourself" :smug:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Booblord Zagats posted:

I don't always get your gimmick but I appreciate the effort it must take
and I appreciate you too :3:

(also your boobs)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:dawkins101:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

this is why i'll never take you seriously

you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about and yet you're certain you're right

if someone would ask you to source this you'd do some defensive :smug: "why don't you find it out yourself" :smug:

Authoritative Know-Nothing is my mental image of him.

But then again, I sometimes watch Fox news so I'm used to that crap.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

aleksendr posted:

But not totally insane. We have very little details on the "why" illfonic work was scraped. A scenario where "You can have the PU at 16 players or Star Marine at 16 players, not both because the server crash" could hold water.
Most of the plausible reasons for this would come down to failure to integrate the 2 codebases in a way that doesn't produce an enormous screaming bugfests.

The idea that locational damage is enough to overwhelm the network is real dumb, and definitely not a reason to scrap millions of dollars of work with a :shrug: "guess we can't deploy this code that works perfectly otherwise".

Until there is some real proof the "code merger" hypothesis is by far the simplest explanation, because code mergers are no joke. You need some grade A project management to split your work in the way they did between CIG and Illfonic. Star Citizen doesn't deserve even a grade F for project management. It isn't even in the loving school.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

No self respecting Sci Fi anything should have an Episode I Jar-Jar toy on set

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i'm confused i thought star marine was originally gonna be it's own 'module' (so a separate game launched from the same menu) from the PTU, why would they have to merge code at all

edit: and from that perspective it'd be a good thing to ditch star marine if you could actually integrate the mechanics into the PTU, but lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff posted:

Sandi would be difficult to emulate, because you'd have to wrap your head around the "almost English" that they're written in.
We could ask Matilda to write it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booblord Zagats posted:

No self respecting Sci Fi anything should have an Episode I Jar-Jar toy on set

I bet it's there ironically. :smug:

wyoak posted:

i'm confused i thought star marine was originally gonna be it's own 'module' (so a separate game launched from the same menu) from the PTU, why would they have to merge code at all

Because Star Marine was supposed to represent the FPS portion of Star Citizen. So if you have this super awesome FPS module then people would naturally expect that to be how FPS works for the rest of the game. Imagine how pissed people would be if they really had launched Star Marine as a standalone model and then the Baby PU still had the shallow FPS placeholder we have now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bet it's there ironically. :smug:

Because Star Marine was supposed to represent the FPS portion of Star Citizen. So if you have this super awesome FPS module then people would naturally expect that to be how FPS works for the rest of the game. Imagine how pissed people would be if they really had launched Star Marine as a standalone model and then the Baby PU still had the shallow FPS placeholder we have now.

Yep. Can't wait for the female models to hit the PU.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I have no clue how you do it, but could somebody add a more interesting image to the card?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

VenusRedux posted:

My cattes want to be considered for inclusions in funny things:

Also I wanted to post because it makes a few of these uh, SC fans really mad that I do, for some reason.
Tarkaroshe is so salty about this thread. It was so funny when Lethality and him pointed out on the Star Marine forums that you post in this thread and no one cared about their ad hominems.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wyoak posted:

Because they wanted people to be able to get in and out of spaceships without having to have a super-long loading screen. Plus fill promises like boarding and being able to walk around the spaceships.

Really, if they had just wanted to keep up the scam they totally could have pushed out something called "Star Marine" as a separate module. Players would need to quit to the main menu to go between AC and SM, the physics of on-foot movement and such would have been totally different between the SM module and PTU, and people would get hands-on time with a FPS that would never possibly make it into the final product. The fact that they just canned it instead was at least honest of them.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Is there one of those shitfest livestreams about to start up today?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

you, sir, just got octopoded

he's an it guy so of course he'll see the problems in their network and server stack

I play a lot of nintendo games so I would focus on their lack of fun

also color

Possible. Its the old "If you only have a hammer, every problem look like a nail" but due to the quality of management and technical expertise we have seen so far from CIG, "We gave illfonic incorrect information so we cant integrate the produced code in" is as possible as "We forgot to take into account the server resources for Illfonic code, so we cant run both right now".

Maybe Illfonic was able to produce nearly nothing due to the constant re-design requested by Crobizzle and in the end they decided to scrap everything and do over. After all its just 20m in others people money.

No biggie.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

blueberrysmith posted:

Is there one of those shitfest livestreams about to start up today?

In a few mins~

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Octopode posted:

I think people are a little too up in arms about something that probably needs to happen if they want the game to ever actually come out; for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over broken promises and un-lived up to hype, sacrificing what was, ultimately, an extraneous game mode largely disconnected from the core gameplay experience is a better project management decision than CIG has shown in the past. If they manage to stick out all the vitriol associated with it, it will say a lot about whether they are going to be able to run a functional game that appeals to more than whales in the face of inevitable outcry from the $15K+ backers or if they are going to cave to the very loud minority in the face of unpopular decisions that are better for the game.

No dev accounts that have closed as of last night since December. A couple renames, but they're still active.

LOL @ you.

"SM needs to go away so the game can come out, it's just a stupid extraneous mod, no connection to the game we want, and nuking it shows CIG is making good decisions."

LOL AT YOU SO HARRRRRRD

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Daztek posted:

In a few mins~

God damnit. I'm still permanently banned from chat in this twitch. Time to create some new accounts. I'm dying to hear more about this Star Marine module.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Klyith posted:

Because they wanted people to be able to get in and out of spaceships without having to have a super-long loading screen. Plus fill promises like boarding and being able to walk around the spaceships.

Really, if they had just wanted to keep up the scam they totally could have pushed out something called "Star Marine" as a separate module. Players would need to quit to the main menu to go between AC and SM, the physics of on-foot movement and such would have been totally different between the SM module and PTU, and people would get hands-on time with a FPS that would never possibly make it into the final product. The fact that they just canned it instead was at least honest of them.
Chris Roberts telling backers how annoyed he is with them was probably very honest of him too.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Klyith posted:

Most of the plausible reasons for this would come down to failure to integrate the 2 codebases in a way that doesn't produce an enormous screaming bugfests.

The idea that locational damage is enough to overwhelm the network is real dumb, and definitely not a reason to scrap millions of dollars of work with a :shrug: "guess we can't deploy this code that works perfectly otherwise".

Until there is some real proof the "code merger" hypothesis is by far the simplest explanation, because code mergers are no joke. You need some grade A project management to split your work in the way they did between CIG and Illfonic. Star Citizen doesn't deserve even a grade F for project management. It isn't even in the loving school.
One hypothesis requires you to assume that the engineers who built and are intimately familiar with the engine at hand were incapable of integrating gameplay systems changes made to that engine with their own modifications, while the other requires some evidence that the current network implementation is near its capacity, such as trying and failing to recently increase player counts (not even ships) by a small amount. The network and server stack has also traditionally been both CIG and CryTek's biggest problem area, engineering-wise.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

blueberrysmith posted:

God damnit. I'm still permanently banned from chat in this twitch. Time to create some new accounts. I'm dying to hear more about this Star Marine module.

It's stupid easy and fast to make alt twitch accounts. I don't think they even verify.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It's up!

http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

No, honestly. Knowing the likely areas that were worked on necessary for each set of implementations, the idea of the code merge being impossible, as seems to be the accepted collective vision here, is a bit ridiculous. There's almost no interdependence there that should have caused big issues between spatial positioning and render code and gameplay systems. I think it much more likely, based on what we've seen in the past, their network and server stack was overwhelmed with the addition of several new states being tracked and managed for every player (locational damage tracking, breathing system, etc.) and they decided whiz-bang ship simulation was a better use of resources within their current limitations. Once you remove those sorts of systems, there's little left to differentiate it from just another set of CryEngine maps, and not a whole lot of reason to highlight the sub-par feel of a CryEngine shooter with an entire game mode.

Ok, assume for the moment all that is true, when do you think they realised this was an issue?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Octopode posted:

One hypothesis requires you to assume that the engineers who built and are intimately familiar with the engine at hand were incapable of integrating gameplay systems changes made to that engine with their own modifications, while the other requires some evidence that the current network implementation is near its capacity, such as trying and failing to recently increase player counts (not even ships) by a small amount. The network and server stack has also traditionally been both CIG and CryTek's biggest problem area, engineering-wise.

I see where you're headed with this, but do we really have evidence that anyone at CIG is "intimately" familiar with the code, when their own developers, on a livestream no less, go on record stating "things didn't work, and we don't know why, so we changed some numbers, and then it worked, and we don't know why" etc. Can't both hypotheses be true? Let's not underestimate what CIG can't do.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

so when they said 'You are permanently banned from talking in cigcommunity.' they meant permanently for real apparently

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol one unmelt token per 3 months and they don't stack

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The drat thing went off the rails. lmao

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
For gently caress's sake, articulate

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Daztek posted:

lol one unmelt token per 3 months and they don't stack

I tried to ask if I could sell tokens.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

D_Smart posted:

8? Surely you jest.

Cloud Imperium Games Corp, West Hollywood, CA
Cloud Imperium Games LLC, West Hollywood, CA
Cloud Imperium Services, LLC West Hollywood, CA <– The one is interesting. It is found on BBB, but is not in the CA Secretary Of State dB records
Cloud Imperium Games LLC, Santa Monica, CA
Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, West Hollywood, CA
Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, Austin, TX
Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited, UK
Foundry 42 Limited, UK
Foundry 42, Germany
Gemini 42 Entertainment LLC, West Hollywood, CA
Gemini 42 Productions LLC, Santa Monica, CA
Roberts Space Industries Corp, West Hollywood, CA
Roberts Space Industries International Limited, UK
Twin Brothers Production Inc, West Hollywood, CA
Twin Bros, Germany

I have mentioned on here how it works.
Its not a con so much as unsavory money management.
All the studios have key personnel close to Croberts
They have share holdings.
CIG buys this share holding for an undisclosed sum and his nearest and dearest get rich while the dev staff further down the food chain get dirisory bonuses far from what was promised.
Meanwhile before the money gets used to buy out Chri's pals, Simon takes out a loan against the sudden large influx of cash before that cash goes into various private and quite legitimate bank accounts.
I should imagine the likes of ortwin,Erin, Tony Z, Sandi and probably EP at some point have or have had significant holdings in one of the many companies just waiting for whatever money CIG buys them out at.... Of course this figure is decided by.... Yes you guessed it.
If Derek can find evidence of this then.....game over man, game over

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Octopode posted:

or maybe all the hackery that CIG has done to CryEngine for the PTU is different from the hackery that Illfonic did to CryEngine for Star Marine and the ex-CryTekers looked at both and said "lol nope"

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
which one of you court jesters is versecommando? SEE YOU IN THE VERSE!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Octopode posted:

So the first hypothesis, in your opinion, requires massive amounts of incompetence, while the second is kind reasonable?

This is CIG. Space-Occam's razor points to massive incompetence.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

quote:

profess_4real: {Question} will there be brown coats for sale in the in game stores

Wow, not even trying to hide the Malcolm Reynolds fantasy anymore.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Sisyphus posted:

so when they said 'You are permanently banned from talking in cigcommunity.' they meant permanently for real apparently

i got banned during citcon, and still am. lol.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

LastCaress posted:

For gently caress's sake, articulate

Stir Cizzizzen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

blueberrysmith posted:

which one of you court jesters is versecommando? SEE YOU IN THE VERSE!

o7

• Locked thread