Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Rynoto posted:

Higher level dark fog drop better loot which lets you make secret tech. There's only a few but they are quite good if you want to optimize for space for whatever reason.

Oh, I thought those resources were just rare ones out in the universe, I misunderstood and thought activating DF added more techs or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
So I decided to try and build a dyson sphere around a blue giant as they allow for the largest and most powerful spheres. I just went with my standard minimize structure/maximize cell points approach.

Turns out I should have done some math. With the number of nodes I have it would take in excess of 1100 hours at maximum sail uptake to complete. I'll write this one off as a learning expense, sadly the dark fog was not the obstacle.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Smiling Demon posted:

So I decided to try and build a dyson sphere around a blue giant as they allow for the largest and most powerful spheres. I just went with my standard minimize structure/maximize cell points approach.

Turns out I should have done some math. With the number of nodes I have it would take in excess of 1100 hours at maximum sail uptake to complete. I'll write this one off as a learning expense, sadly the dark fog was not the obstacle.

Build more sales and rockets, problem solved!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Smiling Demon posted:

Yeah this is how they getcha. My sphere designs are all basically maximum nodes to avoid this. The rate sails are absorbed probably need to be a tech or just outright buffed. It's painfully slow.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Oh drat yeah absorb rate not launch rate. Yeah that one sucks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a way to view the tropic lines without placing a blueprint?

I uh, learned my lesson about making blueprints across tropic lines but the grid view doesn't show them.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
You can see them as a bolder green line when in build mode, at least that's the only way I know of.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Honestly I only notice the change in tropics when the grid expands/contracts and even then I keep building stuff across them on my home world when I've exhausted other options.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah you need one of the build modes to see the grid lines. The other method is to look at your coordinates to “see” where you are in the grid. I use that to at least get close to where I want to be and then from there it’s open build or blueprint.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Is there some sort of "find building" button in this game? Because scrolling entire planet and looking for that one place that makes steel/processors/whatever is pretty annoying.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nah. Hope you have a good memory. Myself and other tend to lay down the bright science cubes on a belt to make simple signs you can see while flying around.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009
You can also use colored foundation to mark areas.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I wish you could paint ILS different colors (or have different colored lights on them). It'd make it easier.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

I wish you could paint ILS different colors (or have different colored lights on them). It'd make it easier.

Being able to search them by name somehow would also be a huge QoL thing for me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big glowy label markers you can toss on planets seems like a no-brainer feature to me

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Szarrukin posted:

Is there some sort of "find building" button in this game? Because scrolling entire planet and looking for that one place that makes steel/processors/whatever is pretty annoying.

There are several mods that do this if you don't mind modding the game. I think LSTM has this functionality and is quite popular.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's also a mod that just straight up lets you add labels to places on planets.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Setec_Astronomy posted:

There are several mods that do this if you don't mind modding the game. I think LSTM has this functionality and is quite popular.

Is it compatible with existing saves or I need to start over again?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Szarrukin posted:

Is it compatible with existing saves or I need to start over again?

I added it to an in-progress save without any issues. I think its also safe to remove since its purely UI elements and not modifying any gameplay behaviors / adding new buildings or anything like that.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Such a well designed game. I'm post warper on my first play through, now just waffling between different planets to work from. After the limited planet sets available early on I'm spoiled by choices now. Thanks for the tips on setting priority and linking that belt magic video.

How many planets do folks normally manage? I'm thinking about killing off the df in all but one of the systems i work in, how many df spawns is a good amount to keep alive and farm? I'm thinking i might just invade another system they love and make a small death star there

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
It depends on how long you enjoy playing the endgame for. I usually have 1 or 2 industrialized factory worlds for churning out science / dyson production, about a dozen mining worlds, plus maybe a world for generating solar power / exporting charged batteries in the pre-dyson stage of the game, if the RNG gives me a convenient tidally locked planet I can reach easily, early enough. I usually run out of steam not too long after 'beating' the game and doing a few white science techs, though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I normally keep a single system for my factory setup. Farming planets, though? One good system should be able to sustain you for a while. If you’re lucky, you get some of the raw materials that let you skip a production step (like having a sulfur ocean, organic crystals, and and spiniform stalagmites all on various planets) all within the same system.

I think at one point I had scaled so much that I had individual planets dedicated to each type of cube production, but that was mostly just an attempt to make an absolutely disgusting amount of metadata. I might’ve only finished it for blue and red cubes, I don’t remember going much further. I don’t remember what the production rate ended up being, I just remember that I couldn’t get the dam cubes off-world quick enough before filling all my storages hilariously fast.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I started to realize that the answer is just "as many as you want" and then basically make sure that I overproduce fuel rods and warpers (which is not difficult to do).

And after that, wherever I want to expand, I just plop down some defenses, repair stations, power, and whatever I want and I can ignore it until I feel like I need to go back for some reason.

I do label my planets for what's there, though, so that definitely helps.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
is there any way to have starting planet other than default terran-like?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Not without mods.The "Mediterranean" planet is locked as your starting planet in vanilla.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Thanks, I've spread out to a lava planet and some extra resource planets at this point, now may focus on making a system or two fog free so i can expand with less hassle. Did make one planet designated for just green motors and computer chips, that's made my original planet much more viable for the long term.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Szarrukin posted:

is there any way to have starting planet other than default terran-like?

you'd be kinda hosed without water, coal and oil. I don't remember if you have to have any of those to go interplanetary but you certainly need them to go interstellar, and it is entirely possible for the game to generate a system where one of those resources is absent

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There’s planet types other than Med which have all three, and I’d like eventually to have an option to select a different but still-compatible type for starting out.

Just needs a bit of code to stop other planet types being used as the starting moon from generating their other special resources like O Crystals. Or, you know, not: let me start with a home-system richness of O Crystals since that’s gonna be like 20-40k in a single deposit, tops.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Clark Nova posted:

you'd be kinda hosed without water, coal and oil. I don't remember if you have to have any of those to go interplanetary but you certainly need them to go interstellar, and it is entirely possible for the game to generate a system where one of those resources is absent

You can go interplanetary with just blue and red cubes so yeah, coal and oil needed (I guess you could get by with fire ice instead of oil).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The decision to start on an Earthlike planet is almost certainly preferential rather than a technical limitation. Would be cool to have a semi random planet to start on.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

There is a mod that changes your starting planet. Not sure if it still works.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I finally got my sphere building, it goes fast even when only using 4 launchers and rails (or fast when you forget about it and go do deal with fog in system after system). I am still using my original planet for control plane stuff like research and accumulation, storage etc. I cursed myself a bit by planning ahead, but not enough, so i have room for everything, but it's all lackluster for production speed.

The posts earlier about a green motor planet were really helpful, i made a separate planet for over producing key items like the motors, and computer chips, and then i inject those back into my home logistics chains and it works really well.

I made a death star blueprint of an interstellar logistics station, 144 solar panels, 24 missile launchers, and the belts connecting those, and it makes clearing systems pretty pain free. I do wish that blueprints recognized (full) accumulators, I drop a dozen of those manually on these too. I then use a full accumulator and a couple of sensor towers to clear each nest out one by one.

I'm currently researching white science, and trying to decide whether to take my show on the road and build more spheres, or make this one super intricate.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You can build multiple shells around the same star, without the inner ones hogging all the light (outer layers don’t have reduced effectiveness). Some people have done some fairly intricate designs!

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Do they spin at different rates or can you control it?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

JosephSkunk posted:

Do they spin at different rates or can you control it?

I believe spinning speed is determined by orbital speed, so the inner shells are going to spin faster than the outer ones

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Nice that makes sense, I should have assumed that it would be physics based or at least loosely tied to it. I hope these devs keep making games they do fine work, I never thought someone would break my Valheim addiction.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LonsomeSon posted:

You can build multiple shells around the same star, without the inner ones hogging all the light (outer layers don’t have reduced effectiveness). Some people have done some fairly intricate designs!

Gotta admit, I was a little surprised by this. I would have assumed that there would eventually be a bit of reduced effectiveness when you started to build overlapping coverage, but that's either not implemented yet or won't be.

Endless matroishka brains!!!

:shrug:

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
New Dev Update:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1366540/view/4157463936690492059?snr=1_5_9_

They're going to enhance interstellar logistics.

quote:

The new design of supply-demand pairings consists of five dimensions:
① Point-to-point priority pairing between individual interstellar logistic stations.
② Setting up "routes" between planets for specific items, with priority pairings for stations along these routes.
③ Setting up "routes" between star systems for specific items, with priority pairings for stations along these routes.
④ Grouping interstellar logistic stations, with priority pairings for stations within the same group.
⑤ Regular pairings for items not assigned any specific priority.

No ETA on when the changes come.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Awww yeah…that’s the stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I read all that and barely understood it.

So this is largely optimization of trade routes, but not implement return cargo, right? It still sends an empty ship to get something and bring it back, or it sends a full ship and returns empty?