Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you take one five figure grant from the westons and all of a sudden no one wants to listen to your entirely genuine opinions about how the weston family of brands is actually great

anyway, look, they're very well diversified in retail. there's no way to be certain these record profits are being made on the backs of grocery consumers, specifically.

maybe they're bleeding the provincial health systems instead. we just don't know.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 19:17 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ARACHTION posted:

If I was in government I’d pass a law where anyone appearing in media has to declare conflict of interest and the money given by the company they are talking about displayed on TV or else they are fined x$ per appearance.

that's the funny thing about Steve Paikin who clearly went into journalism to be A Journalist, so he declares his conflict of interest. when the greenbelt scandal was kicking off he was basically excusing himself every single time it came up because he's also closely aligned with the conservative party, his brother is a developer etc.

I admire the transparency he provides that journalists are just the relatives of the people in power, if nothing else. although maybe it's just a TVO thing

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

RealityWarCriminal posted:

have you seen the price of tomatoes these days?

Only in Alphaghetti form, why do you ask?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress the canadian forces

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ARACHTION posted:

If I was in government I’d pass a law where anyone appearing in media has to declare conflict of interest and the money given by the company they are talking about displayed on TV or else they are fined x$ per appearance.

Make them pinky swear and start taking fingers if they lie, problem solved.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

have you seen the price of tomatoes these days?

:drat:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CLAM DOWN posted:

But our Michaels are still safe right? :ohdear:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

But our Michaels are still safe right? :ohdear:

Hilarously they were fighting each other but ended up settling the lawsuit a couple of months back.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Hilarously they were fighting each other but ended up settling the lawsuit a couple of months back.

Michaels and the Canadian Armed Forces were fighting? and it ended in a tie?? we’re so hosed if anyone ever invades

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

it's ok to admit it, I was worried too. I hate it when nos deux michels fight

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

CLAM DOWN posted:

harsh but fair

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Nothing hurts more to see a beautiful Michael being hurt by none other than the other beautiful Michael (not in any particular order because they are both great).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

no loving way lmao

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

no loving way lmao

One of them was an actual spook and the other was one of those business oafs this country loves to make

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Epic mountie chillin with some convoy retards. Doesn't care about their imitation cop car

https://x.com/sisuvanhell/status/1786953663769989510

Cool. Cool. Lots of lessons learned from Portapique and also all those Coutts guys the cops were friendly with and were later arrested with ten thousand guns they wanted to kill cops with. Oh well don't think about it

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
You gotta hand it to them: they've built a big tent movement so big that it can accommodate cops and a bearded chud who says SWEET as a catchphrase

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

CLAM DOWN posted:

not literally though

don't gently caress troops

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
gently caress em up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1787498748764963114?t=DuxLFx4Oj0bx4ThNym6dgw&s=19

Solidarity with the person we threw out of the parry. We don't see her as a person but she makes a wonderful prop.

loving ONDP.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Did the ONDP actually kick Jama out of caucus? WTAF

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah back in October lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

gently caress the worthless orange landlords at every level

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Joel Hardin rules but there were already rumours that his rivals were going to shiv him Corbyn style and this probably doesn’t help.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah back in October lol

In October Jesus Christ

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Didn't she get kicked out of the NDP by the leadship though? Like the other MPP's didn't have any say in the matter?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

madmatt112 posted:

In October Jesus Christ

She posted about a ceasefire on October 10th and was immediately thrown out and banned from talking in Ontario parliament

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7027769

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
ONDP bad?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Saalkin posted:

Didn't she get kicked out of the NDP by the leadship though? Like the other MPP's didn't have any say in the matter?

Correct and a couple complained about how it went down publicly but obediently knuckled under otherwise

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

She posted about a ceasefire on October 10th and was immediately thrown out and banned from talking in Ontario parliament

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7027769

No political speech in the politics chamber, I guess.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm sure you could take the time to find tweets from the ONDP MLAs around the time she was thrown out that show they actually had no problem with it and also, love Israel. Not me, because I might be wrong, but someone else could do it

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Saalkin posted:

It was originally presented as a decision reached through caucus consensus, then the only black MPP left in the caucus chimed in and said she actually didn't know anything about it and would have objected to firing Jama. Stiles then clarified she had made the decision entirely by herself without consulting anyone (or meeting with Jama).

Joel Harden never said anything, still hasn't, when people contacted his office they were given the party line about Jama being difficult to work with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like Joel but his silence on the whole thing is maddening.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
I think he was trying to prevent getting got, not that that exonerates him necessarily.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

politics is so fun

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

One of Wong-Tam's staffers sent a constituent a rather uncompelling email about how it wasn't about Jama's opinions per se but that she expressed them without consulting with colleagues which is dangerous or something:

https://twitter.com/AhmarSKhan/status/1718384009728672023

I don't remember seeing any public statements after that, but I wasn't following very closely.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jama got thrown out parliament again and the other two left voluntarily. Decorum levels remaain steady

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

On another note, I present excerpts from the most bitchmade article about capital gains inclusion (so far):

quote:

Joe, Sandra and Cam are real estate investors in their 60s. Just like 4.4 million other Canadians, they invested in a real estate property to save for a retirement. All live in Toronto, all are married, employed full-time, and earn $100,000 a year. The three couples are comfortable financially, but it’s hard to call them “rich,” given Toronto’s high cost of living.

In 2009, the three couples borrowed money to purchase identical townhouses for $400,000 each. Luckily, their townhouses grew in value by $500,000 over the last 15 years and are worth $900,000 now. The three couples now wish to dispose of their properties to pay for their retirement.

Hey those 4.4 million Canadians can eat poo poo still pay significantly lower taxes on their investment gains than they would on employment or interest income.

quote:

Joint owner Joe is married to Jill and both earn a salary of $100,000 a year. Both Joe and Jill are the owners of the townhouse. They listed the townhouse for sale and found a buyer, who is asking for a June 25 closing date.

Joe and Jill together will realize $500,000 in capital gains, but as joint owners each of them will realize $250,000, which will still be subject to tax under the old inclusion rate of 50 per cent.

If Sandra closes the sale on or after June 25, she will pay approximately $166,000 in tax in 2024: $21,000 on her salary and $145,000 on capital gains from the sale of her townhouse. [an extra $23k]

Sounds like they should have maxed out their TFSAs and RRSPs first instead of becoming landlords.

quote:

Corporate owner Cameron: Tax increases from $132,000 to $183,000

Corporate Cameron wanted an additional limited liability protection when he was purchasing the townhouse in 2009. This is why he purchased the townhouse through a newly created holding corporation, CameronCo. CameronCo listed the townhouse for sale and found a buyer, and the transaction closes on June 25. Once sold, CameronCo will pay out the proceeds as dividends to Cameron and dissolve.

CameronCo will realize $500,000 in capital gain. All $500,000 will be subject to tax at the new inclusion rates.

If CameronCo closes the sale on or before June 24, Cameron and CameronCo together will pay approximately $132,000 in tax related to the sale of the townhouse ($48,000 corporate and $84,000 in personal tax).

If CameronCo closes the sale on or after June 25, Cameron and CameronCo together will pay approximately $183,000 in 2024 ($65,000 in corporate and $118,000 in personal tax).

Cool, Corporate Cameron can definitely eat poo poo.

quote:

Early Earl and Late Liam: Tax increase from $226,000 to $316,000

If you think Cameron is unlucky, consider the example of Early Earl and Late Liam. Earl and Liam are both 120 years old and, unfortunately, are quite unwell. Both held their lifetime savings – an investment portfolio with $1,000,000 accrued gain. Sadly, Earl passed away on June 24, and Liam passed away on June 25. Earl’s terminal return tax liability will be approximately $226,000 in tax, but Liam’s will be $316,000.

Concern trolling for an imaginary dead 120 year old.

quote:

Emigrant Emmett: tax increase from $760,000 to $1,002,000

Consider also Emigrant Emmett. Unlike the taxpayers used in previous examples, Emmett is “rich” by most people’s standards. Emmett has an investment portfolio with a $3,000,000 accrued gain. He pays Canadian tax at the highest marginal rate (54 per cent). After the COVID-19 pandemic, Emmett was able to do his job remotely from countries with lower personal tax rates. Earlier this year, Emmett decided to move to the United States and booked a flight to leave Canada on June 24. Emmett will pay Canadian departure tax at the “old” rates – approximately $760,000.

If Emmett’s flight is delayed because of bad weather and he leaves at 00:01 a.m. on June 25, his tax bill increases to $1,002,000. Emmett will be very unhappy with his departure tax, but comforted by the fact that, for his future investments, the maximum capital gains rate in his new home jurisdiction in only 20 per cent (as opposed to about 35 per cent in Canada).

I hope "rich" Emmett arrives safely on a reliable Boeing aircraft.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

On another note, I present excerpts from the most bitchmade article about capital gains inclusion (so far):

Hey those 4.4 million Canadians can eat poo poo still pay significantly lower taxes on their investment gains than they would on employment or interest income.

Sounds like they should have maxed out their TFSAs and RRSPs first instead of becoming landlords.

Cool, Corporate Cameron can definitely eat poo poo.

Concern trolling for an imaginary dead 120 year old.

I hope "rich" Emmett arrives safely on a reliable Boeing aircraft.

All of these (fictional) should be executed

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
it might just be the stilted tone apparently required of all finance articles but it sounds like the author is baffled and/or outraged at the concept of a thing taking effect at a point in time

if you do it JUNE TWENTY FOURTH you pay $x BUT if you do it JUNE TWENTY FIFTH you pay $y !!!

like the idea of taxes changing during your lifetime is simply absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

120 year olds? Average Canadian will live to about half that