Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gripweed posted:

Part 7, the opening of Jason Goes to Hell, and Jason X really show off the potential for Jason outside of the standard Friday the 13th formula. Jason fighting a psychic, Jason vs the army, Jason fighting a super robot in space, all fantastic stuff. Give us a full Jason vs troops movie, I don't care if it would be a ripoff of Predator. Jason goes back in time and becomes the leader of a barbarian army and fights King Arthur. Jason actually goes to hell and fights Doom guy. Just go wild with it

Jason in Manhattan but for real this time would be a great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bonus movie: Excalibur (1981)

An absolute classic and the best Arthurian myth adaptation. And it's less cheaty than you'd think, to be honest - Perceval's quest for the Grail in particular is creepy. The pedigree is pretty good for horror as well - Deliverance director John Boorman leads and Neil "Company of Wolves" Jordan got his start working on the movie. And of course the casting is probably the greatest ever made. Boorman purposefully asked for relatively unknown actors and wound up with Patrick Stewart, Ciaran Hinds, Helen Mirren, Gabriel Byrne and Liam Neeson - those last three making their movie debuts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I uh, don't remember Tina's dad being abusive. He hit her mom once, which is lovely, but that might've been the first time that happened. Her childhood trauma was about causing his death, not anything he did to her. And the psych was an rear end in a top hat but he was basically trying to get an amazing case study to profit off of and get famous, not some kind of master plan where he has a psychic pet or a Jason. The ending was about her dead dad forgiving her being symbolic of her forgiving herself.

You don't gotta like the movie but it's not that hard to follow.

Child Tina specifically says “You promised you wouldn’t hit mommy again!” It’s clear that this is a pattern for the family.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Child Tina specifically says “You promised you wouldn’t hit mommy again!” It’s clear that this is a pattern for the family.

Ah, right. Still though, as bad as an angry physically abusive father is, I don't think most people would be glad to see their parent murdered via their psychic powers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lurdiak posted:

Ah, right. Still though, as bad as an angry physically abusive father is, I don't think most people would be glad to see their parent murdered via their psychic powers.

Speak for yourself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

if you drown in Crystal Lake your body will be preserved and you can come back to life if a family member is killed or almost killed on the shore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lurdiak posted:

Obviously she feels guilty for killing her father. That's understandable as such relationships are complicated for adults, let alone children with trauma and super powers. Its still super weird and uncomfortable to me that they never really touch on the abuse and then the big conclusion is him "saving" Tina, or "forgiving" her as you put it and is incredibly clumsy as some kind of symbolism for her forgiving herself. Like I said, I even though the movie would address it or was subtly playing to it with the shrink dragging them back, taking the dad's "place", and being a lying, pushy, rear end in a top hat. But it never went anywhere and the ending just seemed to undermine it all kinds of weirdly.

Its my fault for looking for subtext or story or something deeper than killing someone with a weed whacker in a Jason film. It just struck me as odd with this one because it feels like someone STARTED to try and write a fuller story and then just was told to consult a landscaper on more poo poo that could kill you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Speak for yourself.

You know what? You're right. Plenty of people with abusive home lives absolutely and rightfully would've liked their monstrous parents dead. My relatively comfortable childhood is just making me view this in the most innocuous light possible instead of viewing the incident as coding for a more disturbing pattern. The movie just took a lazy shortcut to something that would cause the kid's powers to manifest and cause a tragedy in a way that makes the audience feel bad for her, and didn't think how it would read to people who've dealt with real abuse.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

You know what? You're right. Plenty of people with abusive home lives absolutely and rightfully would've liked their monstrous parents dead. My relatively comfortable childhood is just making me view this in the most innocuous light possible instead of viewing the incident as coding for a more disturbing pattern. The movie just took a lazy shortcut to something that would cause the kid's powers to manifest and cause a tragedy in a way that makes the audience feel bad for her, and didn't think how it would read to people who've dealt with real abuse.

whoa whoa slow down there buddy, the internet is no place for this kind of thoughtful reflection

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even though this was gonna be the “no rules” marathon for me I’m gonna have to stick to a strict Jason every night rule if I’m gonna be sure to finish him by the end of the month. It’s ok. I like rules and homework.

19. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
Available on Amazon Prime

Jason’s back and he’s on a boat headed to New York. Why? Does it really matter? There’s a bunch of kids and some adults and one good girl and a love interest and random psychic powers. Jason finds new weapons to kill people with, which is the point, right?

I’d heard enough about this to know Jason spends most of his time on a boat and very little time in “Manhattan.” And that it was one of those absurd post apocalyptic versions of New York where the only thing standing between you and hell is The Batman. So with all of that built into my expectations the only thing left is the same formula as always, complete apparently with the final girl being randomly psychic. The Jason movies are the closest thing I’ve seen to “procedural episodes” in films. Just all the same notes and characters with new faces and kills.

Oh, and a rape scene. Because these films needed that.

You know, I’ve never realized how waterlogged and squishy Jason is. Its a wonder he ever sneaks up on anyone with those squishy boots, especially in the woods. And the smell. Man, Jason must stink to all hell

Julius hoping he could beat Jason Voorhees with body blows was funny, though. And hey, I remembered his name. When did Jason gain super strength, though? I missed that in one of the previous films. And is it just me or did he also develop teleportation skills?

I wonder where the director/writer even thought that vat of bubbling toxic waste came from. Oh, of course. The nightly sewer flood of toxic waste all us NYers know to avoid. How silly of me to forget.

Although I’ll give them credit for getting it right where everyone on the subway ignores Jason and just yells at him when he falls down like a goober when the train stops.

I feel like this one was longer than the rest. That’s a bad direction to be going in.

I had planned to watch another movie but that one was bad enough to leave me burned out. Tomorrow. I'm gonna play video games.

”Wonder How This Holds Up” PreGaming in April
1. World War Z (2013); 2. As Above, So Below (2014); 3. The Cabin in the Woods (2011); 4. The Last Exorcism (2010); 5. Trollhunter (2010); 6. The Blair Witch Project (1999); 7. Unfriended (2014); 8. Absentia (2011); 9. The Last Exorcism Part II (2013); 10. The Prophecy (1995); 11. Dawn of the Dead (1976); 12. Mandy (2018)

May “New To Me/Clean Up” Marathon
Watched - New (Total)
1. From Beyond (1986); 2. Train to Busan (2016); 3. Coraline (2009); 4. The Old Dark House (1932); 5. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984); 6. Apostle (2018); 7. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985); 8. Suspiria (2018); 9. Venom (2018); 10. Winchester (2018); 11. The Masque of the Red Death (1964); 12. Behind the Mask:The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006); 13. The Stuff (1985); 14. Veronica (2017); 15. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986); 16. Friday the 13th Part VII: New Blood (1988); 17. Goosebumps (2015); 18. Unfriended: Dark Web (2018); 19. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989);

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

10. A Field in England (2013): I think I was too tired to give this movie the proper amount of attention. It took me a bit to adjust to the characters’ accents and I found it a bit hard to follow. Once O’Neill showed up, things picked up a bit. Some of the trippy sequences were cool. I need to rewatch this sometime.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Had some poo poo come up so it's taken way too long to write this update and my thoughts are all pretty brief, but I have been watching the movies.

3. Good Manners (2017, dir. Juliana Rojas and Marco Dutra, Brazil) dvd
Guess I'll start by saying this is one that I think benefits a lot from going in blind. It's a sweet monster movie that's lighter on the horror but big on the feelings and they pull it off well. Visually pretty good too. There are some wonderful matte paintings that were so exciting to see. Could maybe be cut down a little I thought it was just a bit long but it was a nice time. The baby werewolf was very cute. 4/5

4. The Host (2006, dir. Bong Joon-ho, S Korea) Shudder
Coming in super late to the party on this one. Holds up to its reputation just fine. Great monster, and I've got no problem with any of the effects. The story is nicely unpredictable and Bong does a great job varying the tone and keeping the humor, drama, and horror all in balance. 4/5

5. Messiah of Evil (1973, dir. Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, USA) Shudder
I love this slow nightmare poo poo. Feels like a mix of zombies, Lovecraft, and ambien. 4/5

6. The Hunger (1983, dir. Tony Scott, UK)
Low key vampires with Catherine Deneuve and David Bowie. A pretty silly sex scene but otherwise a great entry in the genre with a lot of style. 4/5

7. Martyrs (2008, dir. Pascal Laugier, France)
Had no idea what this was about going in, just that it had a reputation. For the first 45 minutes or so I was thinking, this isn't that tough to watch, then it got pretty rough for a bit. And then there is the third act. Still not entirely sure where I come down on it. I don't mind the nihilism, and it's well done and effectively pretty disturbing but overall I just kind of feel unmoved. Glad I watched it though.

8. Hex (1980, dir. Kuei Chih-Hung, Hong Kong)
Pretty fun Shaw Bros horror. Gets nicely weird towards the end, but doesn't go as far as you might expect from the guy who made Boxer's Omen and Corpse Mania. Still a decent ghost story with some great bloated corpse makeup and fantastic Shaw sets, even if there is a bit too much explaining at the end. 3/5

https://i.imgur.com/A9bCD9H.mp4
9. Kill Baby, Kill (1966, dir. Mario Bava, Italy) blu-ray
Either I was not paying enough attention, or the camerawork in this movie is way more fun than the other Bava movies I've seen. Some real powerful zooms I love it. Weird trippy gothic atmosphere it's a ton of fun and so far second only to Blood and Black Lace as far as my Bava experience goes. 4/5

13 films, 13 countries:
Dead Ringers (Canada) | Tumbbad (India) | Good Manners (Brazil) | The Host (S Korea) | Messiah of Evil (USA) | The Hunger (UK) | Martyrs (France) | Hex (Hong Kong) | Kill Baby, Kill (Italy)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
Watched On: Tubi TV

One of my absolute favorites and a go to movie when I feel like something fun. Not that it's all fun and games, the parts where LG gets butchered and wakes back up are just a drat nightmare. It's really a drat shame that this was the last good showing out of this franchise, since I'm personally not a huge fan of the remakes but I haven't seen them in years so maybe it's worth another try.
4.5 out of 5

11. Madman (1981)
Watched On: Shudder

At first I though I had another fun slasher on my hands and to an extent that was true. The opening around the campfire is really strong and the kills I think are some great stuff. It's just... well everything else. It felt like it just dragged out forever between action and the Madman Marz character looked a bit shoddy when you totally got to see him lit up. Fantastic theme song though.
2 out of 5

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
17. Death Walks on High Heels
After threatened by a gialloman, a stripper flees to England, and gialloman follows.
Another pretty mediocre giallo with quite heavy Hitchcockian influences. Not much to say about that one, there are some interesting twists and turns in the whodunnit but the resolution makes no sense at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Day of the Dead, the remake.

Despite what you may assume, this is not a sequel to the Dawn of the Dead remake. They both have Ving Rhames, but he plays completely different characters. Which is such an odd choice I gaslit myself into thinking I was racist and the character in Dawn of the Dead was played by a different black actor I was confusing with Ving Rhames. I doublechecked and it turns out I'm not racist.

It's also not a remake of Day of the Dead. There's some troops and a smart zombie named Bubd, but otherwise the stories are completely unrelated.

The movie spends the first 20 minutes being all "what's going on, why are people getting sick, why is the military quarantining the town" which is super boring when you already know that the answer is zombies and all of the characters are too boring to care about. And then, despite the movie acting like you've never seen a zombie before, after zombies show up everybody knows all the rules. Aim for the head, it's spread through bites, zombies aren't sick people they're horror movie monsters you can mow down without the slightest moral compunction, etc. Even characters who never saw the disease being spread through a bit somehow know it's spread through bites. Every zombie movie has that "I can't shoot her, she's my wife!" "she's not your wife, she's a monster! Do it!" scene, and they're pretty boring and overdone nowadays. But if you don't have that scene, then it just makes your characters seem psychotic. Especially in this case, where they all saw the people getting sick before going zombie. From their point of view, they should be assuming it's some kind of super rabies. Like, it's never even established that the zombies in this movie are even dead. But they just loving light 'em up no problem.

Nick Cannon is obnoxious

There's a couple decent moments, both of which are based on zombies being able to crawl around on the ceiling like Spiderman? At one point a zombie does a super jump too. Honestly, if they had leaned into that and made the zombies like super zombies who can do crazy poo poo, it could've been a lot of fun. But they don't.

Terrible CGI gore.

More than anything, it's just really boring.Occasionally tiptoeing towards so bad it's good, but always way too self aware to actually be so bad it's good. The movie is 85 minutes long but it felt like it was over two hours.

Don't watch Day of the Dead, it sucks!

Watched: The Prophecy, The Prophecy 2, The Prophecy 3, The Prophecy Uprising, The Prophecy Forsaken, Pet Sematary, Return of the Living Dead, Laserblast, The Shining, Tales From The Darkside The Movie, The Alphabet Killer, Ghost Ship, Delivery: The Beast Within, Pulse, The Lure, Stranger Things, The Vampire Lovers, Masters of Horror Stuart Gordon H.P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch House, Monsters Dark Continent, Day of the Dead

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 25, 2019

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

The Orphanage

One of those films that doesn't really do anything new but does a lot of classic things very, very well. You've got haunted houses, creepy kids, parental fear, and supernatural investigators, all of which is shot beautifully and anchored by a strong central performance from Belén Rueda. I loved how the ending can be viewed as touching or profoundly disturbing, depending on what angle you're viewing it from, even as you're strongly encouraged to see it one way. Just a good, old-fashioned spooky house tale with a strong emotional core and the discipline to unfold its mystery at its own pace.

4.5/5

I Saw The Devil

Disappointed to have a negative response to this one after enjoying similarly expansive and twisty Korean movies like The Wailing or Memories of Murder. My main problem is that the theme (classic eye-for-an-eye revenge stuff) and the extreme gore are both frontloaded, so there isn't really a lot of room for things to develop over the course of the leads' two-and-a-half-hour cat & mouse game. I also found the film's slickness, while impressive, at odds with the incredibly gnarly content. While I normally respect the intense genre shifts you often see in Korean cinema, this film setting a slick, choreographed kung-fu fight immediately after a scene of sexualized torture really rubbed me the wrong way. I know a lot of people love this movie, and it's a shame not to appreciate something so uncompromising and well-made, but I can't say I really appreciated it.

I will say however, this is a visually gorgeous film, and the performances from the two leads did impress me.

2/5

Currently: 11/13

Countries "visited": China, Italy, Norway, Japan, Argentina, Austria, Brazil, France, New Zealand, Spain, Korea

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

[quote="Gripweed" post="495385937"]

Day of the Dead, the remake.

This movie is so bad. I think I caught it on an impulse watch years ago on Netflix or something. I distinctly remember the zombie crawling across the ceiling also having what may have been CGI drop ceiling tiles falling, but they sped up the footage to match the zombie's crawling speed so the tiles are shooting to the ground.

It's such a pointless movie. There was no reason for it to exist, but they made it anyway. It's the cinematic equivalent of wearing a bow tie upside-down.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like the Day of the Dead remake for only one reason. Its so hilariously the perfect homage to the whole "Dead" family tree of sequels, knockoffs, and distant cousins. Someone remade Dawn of the Dead and did a good job, so lets "remake" Day in Bulgaria and make more money!

That reminds me, I want to watch that almost certainly terrible OTHER Day of the Dead remake on Netflix.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Has there ever been another trilogy where each movie was remade by different people and the remakes have nothing to do with each other?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

20. The Perfection (2019)
(Netflix)

This is pretty good. At least it's really fun to watch - whether it's actually good (and how it would fare on a repeat viewing) is debatable.

Just watch it and read nothing about it first, it's a fun ride.

Total: 20
Watched: Hagazussa | Deep Rising | Thoroughbreds | Wolf Guy | The Old Dark House | The House that Dripped Blood | Phenomena | Brain Damage | Demons | Demons 2 | Wolfcop | Suddenly in the Dark | Pieces | Candyman | Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh | Ganja & Hess | Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror | The Killing of a Sacred Deer | Saint Bernard | The Perfection

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
Watched On: Tubi TV

One of my absolute favorites and a go to movie when I feel like something fun. Not that it's all fun and games, the parts where LG gets butchered and wakes back up are just a drat nightmare. It's really a drat shame that this was the last good showing out of this franchise, since I'm personally not a huge fan of the remakes but I haven't seen them in years so maybe it's worth another try.
4.5 out of 5

I love that Menahem Golan produced this movie and was really banking on it making a ton of money because of the notoriety of the original and the fact that you don't need that much money to make a TCM movie. Cannon was doing really poorly at this point due to the failure of Superman 3 and Masters of the Universe and Superman 4 were poised to also bomb and essentially tank the company. So you've got Golan sitting there at the first screening, expecting a movie with the tone of the original TCM that he can sell to audiences who remember the original and critics who've started to come around on it. He even got the original director and everything!

And instead he gets this Gremlins 2-rear end movie that's nearly a parody of the original. Reportedly he was so furious that Tobe Hooper thought he might take a swing at him.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 25, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I love that Menahem Golan produced this movie and was really banking on it making a ton of money because of the notoriety of the original and the fact that you don't need that much money to make a TCM movie. Cannon was doing really poorly at this point due to the failure of Superman 3 and Masters of the Universe and Superman 4 were poised to also bomb and essentially tank the company. So you've got Golan sitting there at the first screening, expecting a movie with the tone of the original TCM that he can sell to audiences who remember the original and critics who've started to come around on it. He even got the original director and everything!

And instead he gets this Gremlins 2-rear end movie that's nearly a parody of the original. Reportedly he was so furious that Tobe Hooper thought he might take a swing at him.

Holy poo poo. That's incredible.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
13. Suspiria dir. Luca Guadagnino (2018)

Honestly not quite sure what to make of it. I thought the more muted aesthetic people were worried about worked quite well, trading the original's bright colors for rich textures and even at its 2.5 hour run time i didn't feel that it dragged. I almost wish there had been even more with the witch coven, all those characters seemed so interesting but are left (probably rightly) pretty mysterious. But as wild as the climax is it didn't feel quite... substantial? I've been sitting on it all day and still can't quite place why it felt underwhelming to me but here I am. Still, I really like the body horror and Tilda was wonderful. And someone should give Mia Goth a role where she just gets to have a nice time for once. And congrats to me for reaching my goal for the month, it's been fun.

Watched: 1. Noroi 4/5, 2. Mandy 3.5/5, 3. The Stuff 4/5, 4. Gozu 3.5/5, 5. Dark Water 3/5 6. Hellraiser 3.5/5, 7. God Told Me To 4/5, 8. The Others 4/5, 9. Dead Birds 3/5, 10. Q 3.5/5. 11. Shivers 2/5, 12. Pan's Labyrinth 4/5,

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
18. Crimes of the Black Cat
Spoiler: It's scratching people with poisoned claws but it's an animal goddamn, you can't blame it!
I feel like the problem with giallos is that the bottom of the barrel isn't bad, it's just terminally boring. It's got all the usual elements executed inoffensively, there's absolutely nothing interesting about this one. It even manages to waste a perfectly good murdering cat, how do you do that? The cat dies btw and you see its decapitated head, but I couldn't even give enough of a poo poo to be angry about that.

I have one more 1972 movie for which I don't have high hopes, the one after that is a Bava movie so hoping it's good. Looks like I won't even finish the 70s at this rate, oh well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jason X: This is an odd duck that's still fantastically entertaining. I respect that it doesn't waste time with a subplot, but rather gets right to the chase: Jason is murdering the poo poo out of people. "(Character) goes to Space" is usually the death knell for a franchise, but I really respect the creativity shown here. Harry Manfredini's score is on point, too, a refreshing change from the last two films.

The Uber-Jason design is a bit wack, but I can overlook it.

My one real knock is the cinematography, which feels like Avengers 1 levels, which is to say that this could have aired on a Friday night on the Sci-Fi Channel and I wouldn't have batted an eye.

All in all, though, a solid entry in the series. All that remains now is Freddy vs. Jason!

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part III, Friday the 13th Part IV, Friday the 13th Part V, Friday the 13th Part VI, Friday the 13th Part VII, Friday the 13th Part VIII, Friday the 13th: Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X

My challenge: Friday the 13th 1 - VIII, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason

EDIT: Jason Goes to Hell because Lurdiak is a jackwagon who reminded me that IX is on Netflix

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 26, 2019

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

11. The Perfection (2019): this is fuckin wild. It’s hard to say much about this without spoiling it, but Allison Williams and Logan Browning are very good and I respect that this movie gets as weird as it does. I enjoyed it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Freddy vs. Jason: Welcome to my world, bitch, indeed.

This is a movie that's almost good, but fumbles the ball at the 1-yard line. There are parts of it that I really like: Freddy's more of a sadistic rear end in a top hat instead of a dark comedian, Ken Kirzinger's Jason is great--I fully buy Ronny Yu's choice here, there's no egregiously awful casting.

But, man, for a movie called Freddy vs. Jason, we sure do spend a lot of family drama time with Monica Keene and her folks. Also, I thought the kills weren't really anything special.

But, hey, far from the worst in the series.

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part IV, Friday the 13th Part V, Friday the 13th Part VI, Friday the 13th Part VII, Friday the 13th Part VIII, Friday the 13th: Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason

EDIT: Jason Goes to Hell because Lurdiak is a jackwagon who reminded me that IX is on Netflix

CHALLENGE COMPLETED

(do I get like a participation certificate or something)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Freddy vs. Jason: Welcome to my world, bitch, indeed.

This is a movie that's almost good, but fumbles the ball at the 1-yard line. There are parts of it that I really like: Freddy's more of a sadistic rear end in a top hat instead of a dark comedian, Ken Kirzinger's Jason is great--I fully buy Ronny Yu's choice here, there's no egregiously awful casting.

But, man, for a movie called Freddy vs. Jason, we sure do spend a lot of family drama time with Monica Keene and her folks. Also, I thought the kills weren't really anything special.

But, hey, far from the worst in the series.

Watched: Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th Part IV, Friday the 13th Part V, Friday the 13th Part VI, Friday the 13th Part VII, Friday the 13th Part VIII, Friday the 13th: Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason

CHALLENGE COMPLETED

(do I get like a participation certificate or something)

You get to join a special exclusive club for your opinion on Part II.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
12. The Ranger 2018, streaming on Shudder

I agree with some of the takes I've read that the movie kind of has an identity crisis. I liked that there was fake drugs and fake movie punks, and I liked some of the dumb jokes, but the story is overplotty and I can't tell if the titular ranger was supposed to be a pedo or not.

1.5/5
13. Dr. Phibes Rises Again

Maybe it doesn't rise to the heights of the first one, especially the kills, but it's very good. You get more Price monologues as a trade off. Not sure how Vulnavia recovered from her acid melt in the first movie. Bonus cameo with Peter Cushing is fun.
4.75/5

That's my 13 new-to-me movies, I feel like I squandered a lot of them on bad movies for no reason.

1. Day of the Animals | 2. The Snarling | 3. Nekromantik | 4. Wolfcop | 5. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things | 6. Contamination | 7. Suspiria (2018) | 8. Monster Party | 9. Butterfly Kisses | 10. The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue | 11. The Wolfman (2010) | 12. The Ranger | 13. Dr. Phibes Rises Again

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 26, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II

Saw that Joe Bob was showing this for the last episode of the season and I'd never seen it before. Perfect for the challenge.

I can see why a lot of people would prefer this to the original, it's just more fun and gets pretty crazy in the final act. Fantastic ending, the last 10-15 minutes alone make it worth watching. Overall I can't say I loved it because it was just a little slow to get going but the characters were solid enough that I stayed interested to the end.

Evil Bong 2: Devil's Harvest

Another sequel, which ended up being a bit of an unintended theme for me this weekend. I actually liked this more than Evil Bong, although fair warning some of the humor falls flat and is kinda offensive. Still, it looks better, the whole cast is back, and I just like the idea of the jungle setting and all the dumb poo poo they get into there.

Definitely a case where if you liked Evil Bong you will like Evil Bong 2.

WATCHED: 1. Evil Bong 2. Let's Scare Jessica to Death 3. Mom and Dad 4. Train to Busan 5. Full Moon High 6. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark 7. It's Alive 8. King Cohen 9. Angel Heart 10. Forbidden World 11. Terrorvision 12. Noroi: The Curse 13. The Nest 14. Bad Taste 15. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil 16. Amsterdamned 17. What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? 18. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II 19. Evil Bong 2: Devil's Harvest

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched It the movie

First off, there's too many kids. Almost every character goes through big chunks of the movie with nothing to do. You could cut the Jewish kid entirely. And the black kid, the part where he said "It's like my grandfather always says; I'm an outsider, always will be" And I'm like, OK? That's not really the dynamic that was established in the single scene his relationship with his grandfather got beforehand, but OK. And then when they're all overcoming their fears some of them get personal fears related to their character arcs, but the Jewish kid gets the spooky painting from an earlier scene, the fat kid gets a mummy I think?, and Stranger Things gets just the It monster itself. This movie is two hours and fifteen minutes long but it can't even give them all their own thing that feels satisfying to see them overcome. The whole thing is like "It's the Loser's Club, alone they're vulnerable but together they can beat anything, Yeah!" and I'm kinda tempted to watch the movie again just to see which characters never talk to each other. If you leave out general addressing the others as a group, I'm pretty sure the fat kid and the black kid don't exchange dialogue with like half the rest of the club, or each other.

As I was watching I kept going back and forth as to whether or not the movie had a theme. I kinda thought it was gonna, with the girl's molester dad and the one kid's fat mom and the bully's cop dad. I thought It was gonna be like a manifestation or representation of victimization of children by adults in general. But then it wasn't.

The love triangle was cute, I liked that. Even if the fat kid suffered from going through big chunks of the movie with nothing to do. But his love of New Kids on the Block and the girl's reaction to it was a great running thing.

The final fight was good, I liked that. Just a bunch of kids beating the poo poo out of a guy. Good stuff.

Overall I liked It, but Stranger Things is basically the same thing and I think Strangers things did It better.

Watched: The Prophecy, The Prophecy 2, The Prophecy 3, The Prophecy Uprising, The Prophecy Forsaken, Pet Sematary, Return of the Living Dead, Laserblast, The Shining, Tales From The Darkside The Movie, The Alphabet Killer, Ghost Ship, Delivery: The Beast Within, Pulse, The Lure, Stranger Things, The Vampire Lovers, Masters of Horror Stuart Gordon H.P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch House, Monsters Dark Continent, Day of the Dead, It

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
14. Inland Empire dir. David lynch (2006)

Glad to have finally seen this, I've had the DVD out from netflix for... let's not talk about it. Didn't find it as difficult or ofputitng as I expected from its reputation, but I am pretty firmly in the tank for Lynch. I also have a fondness for really lo-fi digital video, so really there was a pretty slim chance I would dislike it. That doesn't mean that I know exactly what happened, though, but I do know that Laura Dern is one the greatest actors of our time. It's also very funny to think that some people really thought Twin Peaks: The Return was going to be how it used to be after this and Fire Walk With Me.

4 unsettling closeups out of 5

Watched: 1. Noroi 4/5, 2. Mandy 3.5/5, 3. The Stuff 4/5, 4. Gozu 3.5/5, 5. Dark Water 3/5 6. Hellraiser 3.5/5, 7. God Told Me To 4/5, 8. The Others 4/5, 9. Dead Birds 3/5, 10. Q 3.5/5. 11. Shivers 2/5, 12. Pan's Labyrinth 4/5, 13. Suspiria 3.5/5, 14. Inland Empire 4/5

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Full disclosure, I’m in a terrible mood. Just a lovely day and I’m pissed off. Probably not the best place to be watching another Jason film but here we go.

20. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
Available on Netflix

When last we saw Jason he was naturally being melted by the nightly flow of toxic waste in the NYC sewers, but he’s back whole in Crystal Lake for some reason and… honestly, I don’t know how I can even write anything here without massively spoiling this poo poo sandwich. Its a trip.

I’ll be totally honest, with the way my view of the series completely conflicts with so many others’ I expected that since everyone seems to hate this one I’d like it. I don’t know if there’s any logic to that. Maybe I could make a case for me not enjoying what everyone else enjoys so if they hate this one it probably means less of that and more of something else I might enjoy more? I don’t know, it was just the feeling I got going in.

This is a terrible film. Just a really, really terrible film. I mean, I hated it before the opening credits were done. Even THEY were obnoxious and stupid. It might actually be the worst of the series from a guy who clearly hates the series. MAYBE. I’d say there’s a couple of things going for it.

1) Its SO stupid and bad that it had me absolutely cracking up. I don’t know if it would have been nearly as funny to me if I hadn’t been binging all the films this month and hating them so much. But I have so I was just constantly breaking out into laughter through this stupid mess. I mean, Steven William’s ridiculous performance? Richard Grant just chowing down on Jason’s heart? That loving Jason fetus demon thing crawling up a dead lady’s birth canal? And I swear the fact that the FBI set up a sting for Jason using a naked hot fed at Crystal Lake is the single most entertained I’ve been in nine films.

2) It obviously broke the formula of the Friday movies which actually made it the least boring Jason film I’ve watched in awhile. I’ve spent the majority of most of these films just desperately trying to maintain my attention while Jason works his way through a bunch of paper thin characters in kills that mean nothing just waiting for the final act to start so I could kind of give a poo poo. But I spent the entirety of this film with my eyebrows raised in a confused look wondering what nonsense was gonna come next. I was SHOCKED when I looked at the time and realized I right at the final act. This piece of crap moved.

But really, its an objectively terrible film. I get why people who like the other films hate this one. I probably hate it and would never ever want to watch it again. But it was almost cathartic after the last 8 films and my feelings with them. Like, it was not only a bunch of stuff I was laughing at but it was kind of nice to know that for once I wasn’t being contrarian to the community’s general opinion of the film in hating it. Its my first Jason review that I’m not worried might make some poster hate me for hating.

But seriously, that FBI sting is probably the single most logical and yet absurd thing anyone’s done in 9 films. I’ve been watching these saying to myself “Crystal Lake really needs to get its poo poo together” for 8 films and then they pull this. And the best part is when the lights came on I was CONVINCED it was the old “filming a movie about the movie monster” thing so when the guns came out I audibly cheered.

What a piece of poo poo. A piece of poo poo that really turned my day around. Who would have figured?

I kind of hate doing this because this film was definitely not on my list at the start of the month. But there’s so much buzz about it that I kind of can’t bring myself to be curious about any film on my list as much as this one. Do you know how much buzz this film has? I first heard about it from my senior citizen mother a few days ago when she brought it up to ask what I thought since “I think its one of those horror movies you like.” I had no idea what it was at the time but since then I’ve seen like a dozen people post all manner of things about it. So I really need to just get it out of the way before I can get my mind to anything else fairly.

21. The Perfection (2019)
A Netflix film

Uhhh… A former cello prodigy returns to the world after a decade away and... stuff happens...

Woah.

I’m in agreement with the “go in blind” common sentiment so I’m gonna keep this brief. But I don’t want to say nothing because I really had no idea what to expect going in. A mess that was so bad it was good or a great film or what? This is very good. You could probably compare it to a dozen films off the top of my head in small parts but none of them are even close to what it is. Its a film unlike any I’ve seen. The closest thing I can think to describe it is a Tarantino horror. It unravels and reveals itself from one kind of film to another with each act never letting up or failing to leave you shocked. Not shocking in a cheap way or exploitative way. In a perplexing psychological net and a clueless question of what kind of movie you’re actually watching.

Well worth the buzz. Well worth the watch. I want to say more but I don’t. Watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7SWzGJca50

You know what's funny? So often these "double features" I do aren't intended to have anything in common and are totally random and yet the movie posters happen to look like they belong together in a designed double feature.

Its so odd.

”Wonder How This Holds Up” PreGaming in April
1. World War Z (2013); 2. As Above, So Below (2014); 3. The Cabin in the Woods (2011); 4. The Last Exorcism (2010); 5. Trollhunter (2010); 6. The Blair Witch Project (1999); 7. Unfriended (2014); 8. Absentia (2011); 9. The Last Exorcism Part II (2013); 10. The Prophecy (1995); 11. Dawn of the Dead (1976); 12. Mandy (2018)

May “New To Me/Clean Up” Marathon
Watched - New (Total)
1. From Beyond (1986); 2. Train to Busan (2016); 3. Coraline (2009); 4. The Old Dark House (1932); 5. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984); 6. Apostle (2018); 7. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985); 8. Suspiria (2018); 9. Venom (2018); 10. Winchester (2018); 11. The Masque of the Red Death (1964); 12. Behind the Mask:The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006); 13. The Stuff (1985); 14. Veronica (2017); 15. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986); 16. Friday the 13th Part VII: New Blood (1988); 17. Goosebumps (2015); 18. Unfriended: Dark Web (2018); 19. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989); 20. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993); 21. The Perfection (2018)

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 27, 2019

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#6. Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

No plot description for this one.

There was some chat over in the main thread about how the twist could ever work since the story it is based on was so biquitous it wouldn't fool anyone.
Well, I was surprised. Not being from the US and having no particular interest in the topic. I knew the name, but wouldn't be able to name the events.
Still, not being in the know also means there was no big "Aha!" reveal for me. So, I guess the surprise fell flat.

Aside from that I dug it. This was well-acted, I liked the visuals and the doubt it generated worked for me.
Probably wouldn't work the same way for most viewers, but it has a vibe to it that I enjoyed.
Leaving the crimes out of the movie aside from some hints worked really well too.

#7. Q – The Winged Serpent

A giant Aztec flying serpent is killing people in New York.

This was pretty much what you I expected based on the premise. I will say that Jimmy was a fun character and that elevated everything quite a bit. Enjoyable, but nothing groundbreaking. Special effects have not aged well and the secondary plot is heavily related to the main story, but barely shows up and doesn't feel connected. Still, a giant monster attacked people and that's what I came for.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BioTech posted:

Still, not being in the know also means there was no big "Aha!" reveal for me. So, I guess the surprise fell flat.

Yeah this is what I meant in the main thread when I was saying that the “twist” is dumb and would only work on people who somehow know his name enough for it to carry cultural weight but not enough to recognize that the movie is about him. People were all like “I just asked my buddies and they don’t know who Bundy is” but that’s really not the point I was making. Like, you have to find his actual name emotionally evocative and shocking, but you can’t know anything about why it’s shocking.

Sareini
Jun 7, 2010
Aenigma (1987)

After a group of college girls play a prank on one of their classmates that leaves her in a coma, strange and deadly events start to happen around them that all seem to be connected to a new girl to the college, Eva.

This is a Lucio Fulci movie, and in case you were in any doubt the movie opens with a close-up shot of someone putting on eye makeup. While I was watching it, I felt very strongly that the film was influenced by both Carrie and Phenomena and it turns out I was absolutely right on the former and probably right on the latter.

Unfortunately, as much of a fan of Fulci's work as I am, I've got to say that this isn't one of his better works. It's far less bloody than many of his earlier works, which makes it feel somewhat toothless, and it also feels like it's trying too hard to be like all the generic "college girls in peril" films from the mid-to-late 1980s. It certainly has some memorable scenes, such as the death by snails scene, but there are very few likeable characters - even Kathy, the bullied girl who ends up in a coma, isn't given enough screen time for us to grow attached to her.

Blood Harvest (1987)

I'm just going to take a Wikipedia plot synopsis here (which sadly was edited out as vandalism): "In a small town people are being murdered. Jill doesn’t like to wear pants."

This movie stars Tiny Tim, of "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" fame, as a man with some sort of learning difficulty who dresses up as a clown all the time. He keeps turning up at the house of the heroine, Jill (who indeed doesn't wear pants very often), and so we're clearly supposed to think that he's the man wearing tights on his head who's going around killing all of Jill's friends and family and breaking into her house at night to sexually assault her... except that the killer is thinner, has shorter hair and is clearly Jill's childhood friend Gary who's got a massive case of unrequited love for her. So yes, it's a creepy clown film where the creepy clown is not the killer. Jill's lackluster response to the repeated sexual victimization she suffers also makes this a rather uncomfortable watch.

Blue Sunshine (1977)

People start to suffer headaches and nightmares, lose their hair and then turn psychotic and kill people, and the only connection between them is that they all took a specific type of LSD called "Blue Sunshine" ten years previously while at Stanford. A man wrongly accused of some of the murders one of these people committed goes on a desperate search to clear his name and uncover the truth.

Watching this film I couldn't help but feel that its themes were all rather... right-wing and anti-drug. It uses the now-debunked idea that LSD can cause chromosomal damage, to explain why these people are suddenly losing all their hair and going crazy; the man running for Congress who you just know will end up to have been involved with Blue Sunshine in his younger years promises things like subsidized healthcare and better housing in his campaign promises, and at the climax of the film the main character is saved by remembering the lessons (and rhyme) given to him by a gun shop owner.

The main character who spends the movie trying to clear his name of the murders his Blue Sunshine-d friend committed (one of which was stuffing a woman into a fireplace) starts the movie wearing a Christmas sweater decorated with reindeer... and yet the cops still think he's capable of murder. Although to be fair, he does spend most of the film with a thousand-yard stare himself.

Shock Waves (1977)

A boatful of people on holiday end up marooned on a seemingly deserted island, only to find themselves stalked and picked off one by one by the platoon of underwater Nazi zombies who lurk around the island.

This movie stars both John Carradine and Peter Cushing, although I'm not convinced they were ever on the set at the same time. Carradine departs the film after 24 minutes, after which Cushing turns up playing an SS Commandant but not even bothering to try to do the accent, but he exits at the 55-minute mark. The "zombies" are all quite underwhelming - they just look like albinos who've been in the water too long. At first, they all wear blacked-out goggles as well, until one scene where the "heroine" pulls the goggles off the face of the zombie who is chasing her, at which point he apparently dies from having his eyes exposed to the sun. After that, the film seems to forget this apparent weakness and we see several of the zombies wandering around in daylight without goggles on. Seeing the zombies rise out of the water is an eerie image the first time, but by the end of the film, it's just grown tiresome.

Seen so far: Alice, Sweet Alice (1976); The Descent (2005); They Live (1988); Beyond the Darkness (1979); Evil Dead Trap (1988); 967-Evil (1988); Apostle (2018); Death Line (1972); The Sect (1991); Aenigma (1987); Blood Harvest (1987); Blue Sunshine (1977); Shock Waves (1977)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Murder Party (2007)

A dorky down on his luck parking attendant comes across a invitation to a "Murder Party" on Halloween. At the last minute he decides to cancel his plan of watching schlock horror with his cat, the very fluffy Sir Lancelot, to attend the party. He bakes some pumpkin bread, throws together a cardboard knight costume and heads out. When he arrives to the party he soon finds out that the "Murder" part of "Murder Party" was meant quite literally and is held captive by a collective of squabbling artists that want to create art out of his death.

This is Jeremy Saulnier's first feature film made years before he made a name for himself with Blue Ruin and Green Room. Murder Party is much more comedic than the other two, though Green Room had some funny moments, but its surprisingly similar in tone and look to his latter films with Saulnier's signature ugly and mean violence used here for comedic effect rather than horror or shock. It's a very cheap film but one that manages to pull it off by actually being set in a rundown warehouse instead of just being shot in one. Although it's a bit more "uneven" than Saulnier's latter work, as first features tend to be, its still a very solid horror comedy with good pacing that uses the budgetary limitations to its advantage.

Beast From Haunted Cave (1959)

A group of thieves pull of a heist and hide out in a isolated mountain cabin in South Dakota not knowing that their activities have actually awakened an ancient tentacled monster. To make things even more complicated the boss's girlfriend has grown tired of the life of crime and is falling in love with the hunky ski instructor that owns the cabin their hiding out in.

This is a 1950s monster film and as such almost all of it is people standing around talking but it manages to change things up with the heist elements of the story and most of the cast being professional criminals and hardened killers. The monster is interesting in concept and the way it kills people by webbing them up in its cave and drinking their blood until they die. is drat creepy but this is undercut by the monster being very stiff and unconvincing and the fact that it runs away like a chump any time it meets even the slightest resistance.

Beast From Haunted Cave is a very good concept pulled of adequately which is why I think it's a great candidate for a remake. Something along the lines of The Thing or The Fly where you take the basic concept of an old cheesy monster movie and modernize it to make something new. A film that starts out like a heist movie and then turns into a horror film halfway could really work.

Savageland (2016)

A tiny village near the Arizona/Mexico border is wiped out overnight. There is only one survivor, a meek photographer named Francisco Salazar who is immediately arrested for the massacre. Salazar is an illegal alien which leads to a huge public outcry against immigration, despite almost all of the victims being Mexican, and calls for his blood. His case is pushed through the courts in record time but soon after a roll of film shot by Salazar on the night of the massacre is found. The photos show that not only is Salazar innocent but the real killers are not human.

All of this presented in a documentary format through talking heads, archival footage, police reports, fancy graphics, and of course the spooky photos themselves.

One problem I can find with Savageland is that it's a bit contradictory with its message. On one hand it's a film about an illegal alien that gets railroaded by authorities for a crime he didn't commit due to a atmosphere of xenophobia but on the other hand it's also about a rampaging horde of cannibalistic monsters coming in from the south of the border and heading north into America bringing with them carnage wherever they go. Which I feel detracts a lot from the other aspect. . That being said I like how much energy and time the film spends on the tragedy of the massacre and how the deaths affected the families and loved ones of the villagers.

Another problem is that it isn't very scary. I actually think it could've worked better in a blog format or as an article because some of the photos of the event are genuinely chilling but the presentation just doesn't do much for me. Maybe if it used a similar approach as Noroi: The Curse where the documentary filmmakers are actual characters in the film and come into close contact with the forces they're documenting it would've grabbed me.

I´ve only got five days to go and still need to watch six films.

Will I make it or will I be cast into the deepest abyssal pits of hell for my failure?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Well boys, I think I might make it. Shortly after the month started, I was hit with several pressing things and thought I would have to hang up the challenge, but the holiday weekend has saved me I believe.

6- Street Trash

I've seen this movie once before (last October during the stream) and liked it, so was happy to see JBB do it. This movie is gross and just.. dirty. I've been thinking of a way to explain it, but can't really come up with anything good. It's sort-of Troma-y, but not really. I don't care for Troma, they seem to go for a juvenile edginess, where this is a slightly more mature juvenile, but at the same time meaner in ways, but not in a way that takes itself serious.

The melting effects are really good though.

3/5

7- Wolf Cop

This is another JBB watch. I wasn't excited to find this was the movie he was playing that week. Nothing about this movie is something that sounded appealing to me, but it wasn't bad! The comedy worked well enough most of the time and the story was enough to keep me engaged. It also made me aware of the song Moonlight Desire by Gowan , which I will probably forever link with inter-species wolf sex, but whatever it's a good song. I liked the first part of the movie better than the second, and don't plan on attempting the sequel, but it was worthwhile.

2/5

8 - The Stuff

Oh my god, I hate this movie. I went in giving it a fair shake, but this thing just keeps getting worse and worse. 'The Stuff' itself is not threatening in any way, and it doesn't seem to have any rules like other 'blob' movies do. Maybe seeing this as a kid in the 80s would have had some value to me , but I just can't see any appeal in it now, other than some famous actors cutting it up. It really feels like a movie that was made to fulfill a contract or something.

1/5

9 - Murder Rock

Now this .... this right here is what I'm about. A blatant rip-off of several other movies (namely Flashdance), this lesser known Fulci movie delivers a restrained Fulci-style once again set in New York. The music (by Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake and Palmer), I didn't like at first but it quickly grew on me, and it fits this movie just fine. A killer is going around killing members of an dancing class that are competing for one of three spots available on a Broadway show. Candice, the dance class teacher, begins having nightmares of a man chasing her down and murdering her. The movie contains no shortage of suspects, Fulci dream atmosphere and style. Recommended

5/5

10 - Delirium (1987)

Strange movie. Gloria who inherits ownership of Pussycat magazine begins having her models killed off one by one in unlikely ways. The killer then takes the bodies to pose for photos, then mails the photos to Gloria. This movie twists and turns , but what stick out are the WTF moments, namely the methods of killing, the ability for the killer to take bodies and leave no trace of them, OH and we get a killers POV showing that he sees the victims as animals or strange creatures and also sees the world in different colors. None of which is explained as far as I could tell, oh that "the killer is CRAZY"

3.5/5

11 - Bloody Birthday

A low-flying children killers movie that popped up on Shudder. Went into this one largely blind and was not disappointed! Three kids are born during an eclipse, and 10 years later, around their birthday, they begin killing pretty much everyone. No explanation of it took 10 years for this to kick in, or if they had been doing less nefarious things the whole time. The movie tries to go with an astrological reason on why the kids are how they are, but that's kind of abandoned as the movie progresses. The kids are decent actors and their actions are diabolical. A good movie

4/5

12 - When A Stranger Calls (1979)

A movie that's been on my October list for a while. I am kind of ho-hum on this one. On one hand the opening 20 minutes is just great, but the rest is just ok. Charles Dunning taking on the role of the retired cop turned hit man is amusing. It passes the time.

3/5

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

21. Spring (2014)
(Shudder)

I was going to say this movie is like if Before Sunrise was written by Lovecraft, but that's essentially the quote at the top of the poster so I feel less clever now. It's about a guy who travels to Italy after the death of his parents, where he meets and falls in love with a woman who is... more than she seems. It's much more of a love story than it is a horror film, and it doesn't really try to be scary (although there are a couple great creepy moments). I'm sure you could dig into the themes and come up with some interesting analysis about death and love and all that, but I'm tired and don't feel like it. Also it's a very original film and I don't want to spoil much. It's very good. From the same director as Resolution and The Endless, so if you like those films I highly recommend checking it out.

Total: 21
Watched: Hagazussa | Deep Rising | Thoroughbreds | Wolf Guy | The Old Dark House | The House that Dripped Blood | Phenomena | Brain Damage | Demons | Demons 2 | Wolfcop | Suddenly in the Dark | Pieces | Candyman | Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh | Ganja & Hess | Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror | The Killing of a Sacred Deer | Saint Bernard | The Perfection | Spring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
13. V/H/S Viral (Shudder)

This was being discussed in the horror thread proper so I decided to finish up the series. I don’t really think this deserves to be thought of so much worse than the previous 2 installments.

Yes, the wrap around is dumb as hell and the first short story is maybe the worst of the entire series run, but Parallel Monsters and Bonestorm are as good as anything in the first 2 movies.

I personally prefer Parallel Monsters the best from Viral. I watched it with my wife and she was enthralled until the demon penis came out. I personally found it hilarious, made only funnier by the corresponding female part. I then showed our married couple friends while completely hammered and their reaction was exactly the same. I only mention it because I found it interesting that all 3 people who don’t participate in horror movie watching sprees found it compelling until that point.

Tl;dr: If you’ve seen the first 2 and are on the fence about Viral because it’s got a bad rap, you should check it out.

14. The Black Coat’s Daughter (Shudder)

2 young ladies are left at their prep school over winter break. One stays on purpose and the other’s parents never show to pick her up. As the reason her parents haven’t shown up become more clear, strange and sinister things begin to manifest.

I know another user didn’t want to use the word slow, but this movie starts pretty slow. I don’t mean that in a negative way, it’s still got enough atmosphere to be interesting, I just wouldn’t recommend trying to be on your phone and watch it at the same time. This is not that kind of movie. Once it gets going, your phone will be forgotten anyway.

Kiernan Shipka is incredible as always and I’m tickled pink by her desire to worship satan in everything she does. My only complaint would be that the twist involving Emma Roberts was pretty obvious about half way through. That doesn’t really detract from the film that much however, as her scenes are mostly an afterthought.