Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

:monocle:

That cel is a piloto! That cel remembers love!
DYRL Triptych nears completion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

look what just showed up!!! :hellyeah:

ok THAT is a good one. And I know you paid serious earth dollars for it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

ok THAT is a good one. And I know you paid serious earth dollars for it.
i saw it in person last year, and wouldn’t have bought it if i hadn’t :shobon:

i took the box directly to Capricorn Framing on Geary bc i was too scared to keep it around the house for any amount of time

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://x.com/worldofcrap/status/1791591747170287660

*Laughter that continues until it's indistinguishable from crying*

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I mean, that shirt is true in my case, but I wouldn't wear it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

i saw it in person last year, and wouldn’t have bought it if i hadn’t :shobon:

i took the box directly to Capricorn Framing on Geary bc i was too scared to keep it around the house for any amount of time

I get it. A good friend of mine payed around $5k for a choice Gunbuster cell.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I get it. A good friend of mine payed around $5k for a choice Gunbuster cell.
post a pic

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I mean, that shirt is true in my case, but I wouldn't wear it.

Yes.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

https://x.com/worldofcrap/status/1791591747170287660

*Laughter that continues until it's indistinguishable from crying*

Really needs a pop-top VCR in the background to sell it

also yes it's true for me too

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's in his shop in Osaka, I don't have a pic.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i’m adding one to my Other Riding Bean blu-ray order so i can turn it into a bro tank. the JJK zoomers at my gym must know im old AND weak.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's in his shop in Osaka, I don't have a pic.
i am interested in results, not excuses.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

i’m adding one to my Other Riding Bean blu-ray order so i can turn it into a bro tank. the JJK zoomers at my gym must know im old AND weak.

i am interested in results, not excuses.

Sorry man, I was at his shop when he showed it to me, I ain't got the photo. The place he got it from has cells from such things as fukkin' Totoro, Macross DYRL, Nausicca, etc etc. It's wild there.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Sorry man, I was at his shop when he showed it to me, I ain't got the photo. The place he got it from has cells from such things as fukkin' Totoro, Macross DYRL, Nausicca, etc etc. It's wild there.
it is DISGUSTING how much anything ghibli goes for. even the okayest cel from Porco or Kiki is four figures. if it's a moe-moe waifu? forget about it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

it is DISGUSTING how much anything ghibli goes for. even the okayest cel from Porco or Kiki is four figures. if it's a moe-moe waifu? forget about it.

Yeah the mentioned shop had a Totoro cell with multiple characters and the background painting and iirc i was around $80k when I was last there 6 years ago. All legit stuff as well. Mind you they also had cells from regular tv anime, old OVA cells, etc. Files and files of them. The owner has been collecting for decades and its known that hes also bought collections from old collector's estates after they've died.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I started watching City Hunter and between that and Cat's Eye I think I just really vibe with Hojo's work. Also I'm a giant Lupin fan now?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

I think I just really vibe with Hojo's work. Also I'm a giant Lupin fan now?
[Shang Tsung voice] *YOU* are now italian!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

These are good things, yes indeed! Also Lupin and Jigen had a cameo in the latest City Hunter anime film I hear. These 70s-80s etc anime gotta stick together.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

These are good things, yes indeed! Also Lupin and Jigen had a cameo in the latest City Hunter anime film I hear. These 70s-80s etc anime gotta stick together.

I recommended it some time back but the Lupin vs. Cat's Eye film is a lot of fun too.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Man I guess Hojo hasn’t done anything new in a long time, yeah?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All downhill after Costa del Sol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Uhh...I guess this is probably the most appropriate place to ask.

Has there been anything Ghost in the Shell related that's worth watching besides the original movie and Stand Alone Complex?
I loving loved those but everything else that was released afterwards looked all bad so I haven't see anything else, but maybe I overlooked something that was actually good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd say GiTS Innocence is pretty good, granted maybe keep expectations relatively tempered.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Uhh...I guess this is probably the most appropriate place to ask.

Has there been anything Ghost in the Shell related that's worth watching besides the original movie and Stand Alone Complex?
I loving loved those but everything else that was released afterwards looked all bad so I haven't see anything else, but maybe I overlooked something that was actually good.

The second movie is good in its own ways too. Arise is okay, it feels like a greatest hits of sorts but since it's pretty short it's not a bad watch by any means. I know there are folks that like the Netflix series and I believe them when they say it's well-written but I personally just couldn't stomach the style of CG they went with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://x.com/MACROSS_BIGWEST/status/1794356493736972566

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

"hm i should watch the rest of the urusei yatsura moviess i've already got the first one THE BEAUTIFUL DREAMER BLU RAY COSTS HOW MUCH???? :staredog:

-me, yesterday

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doctor Teeth posted:

"hm i should watch the rest of the urusei yatsura moviess i've already got the first one THE BEAUTIFUL DREAMER BLU RAY COSTS HOW MUCH???? :staredog:

-me, yesterday
poo poo like that is why Gunbuster/Diebuster/Macross Plus are pre-order buys for me.

"Oh it's OOP because AnimeUSA went out of business and Toei never renewed the License even though there's an HD remaster since it's the 20th this year and..."

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Physical releases are trending to be more collectors items anyway (unfortunately) and probably limited print so if you want it you probably should pre-order it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh god Stand Alone Complex is old school now isn't it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nanoha and Precure being 20 years old this year is what's doing it for me given I view those series as the start of the modern age of magical girls

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Runa posted:

when i moved to dallas, i went to Pop Kulture, and the Comic Book Guy working there had a fansub (timed by kilshok) of GITS:SAC on the store’s CRT. in 2002.

it’s BEEN old school.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Runa posted:

We're only five years away from Ghost in the Shell being a story set in the past

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I watched it in the late 2010s. I should honestly rewatch.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Physical releases are trending to be more collectors items anyway (unfortunately) and probably limited print so if you want it you probably should pre-order it

"Oh, the the entire J9 series got subs! I should get those for myself this Christmas."
"What do you mean, they're out of print and selling for $150 each online?"

That said, things are probably better than they've ever been. I remember the after market prices on Dunbine DVDs not so long ago.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember being excited that we were to finally get a nice ROD the TV series set only it was both limited and really expensive even on release and, to its credit, it sold out. Was it ever re-printed? No. Cheaper version? No.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I love physical media but anime (shows at least) is getting too expensive to buy these days. I've got demon slayer and galactic heroes DNT because I love the visuals and want to support those shows. Anything else I have is stuff that discotek puts out (Sherlock hound, ronin warriors) that's hard to find online or movies that are way more affordable.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TuxedoOrca posted:

I watched it in the late 2010s. I should honestly rewatch.
rear end Shot of the Year 2003!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
pre-ordered the Macross Plus bluray set from CR. psyched that they got approval for the Manga Entertainment dub of ep 4 with Mister White.

also ordered the DX Chogokin YF-19 so my old VF-1S has a buddy :q:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's awesome, talk about classics. I wonder if Cranston and David Hayter ever shared a dub.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TenementFunster posted:

pre-ordered the Macross Plus bluray set from CR. psyched that they got approval for the Manga Entertainment dub of ep 4 with Mister White.

Nice. I remember how big a deal it was (pitched as) that in Armitage the 3rd with Armitage herself was voiced by, variously, Juliette Lewis and Elizabeth Berkley with the male lead in Poly-Matrix voiced by Kiefer Sutherland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

Nice. I remember how big a deal it was (pitched as) that in Armitage the 3rd with Armitage herself was voiced by, variously, Juliette Lewis and Elizabeth Berkley with the male lead in Poly-Matrix voiced by Kiefer Sutherland.
that was an excellent dub, too. or so i've been told, since i would never stoop to the level of a dubwatcher

also im' watching macross plus for the 4700th time and i'm always impressed at how well they convey just how much these two guys loving hate each other. you really believe either of them would straight up murder the other

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 9, 2024