Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Forgot about that instant death trap, or it never came up in what I've watched. I do like the idea of a nightmare of Link's being a dungeon, but this is dampened by having the typical BoaB design - being most of the same stuff that's been seen already kind of dampens the effect. Plus I've played another quest that did the idea much better (and more fairly but that's a given).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Actually, now that I think about it, how long does it take for the murder tree to kill you from full HP? Is it at least quick, or are you just stuck staring at Link impaled on a tree for a minute while there's nothing you can do?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Has anyone actually ever completed this game, and if so what is wrong with them?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

BisbyWorl posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, how long does it take for the murder tree to kill you from full HP? Is it at least quick, or are you just stuck staring at Link impaled on a tree for a minute while there's nothing you can do?

I have the blue tunic, which halves the damage I take. The Tree without any tunics does 1 heart put hit, less if you have tunics, and each hit gives you 48 frames of iframes per hit. When I stumbled in here with 15 hearts, it took 30 hits for me to die.

Let's say, hypothetically, you were not dumb and got the red tunic before this dungeon, and you got every heart piece and container up to this point (I'm assuming you'd have the maximum amount of 24 hearts but that could be a bit of an overstatement; I'm at least certain you can have 22 hearts by this point). 24 * 4 (red tunic divides damage received by 4) equals 96 hits you're stuck there for, for 48 frames per hit. Or, in other words, 76.8 seconds, well over a minute.

So no, it's not quick. You do have a speedup button though.

Black Robe posted:

Has anyone actually ever completed this game, and if so what is wrong with them?

Quite a few people have! It's not a kaizo game by any stretch, it's just exceedingly obtuse, but walkthroughs and LPs exist for that reason.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

DimiPZC posted:

I have the blue tunic, which halves the damage I take. The Tree without any tunics does 1 heart put hit, less if you have tunics, and each hit gives you 48 frames of iframes per hit. When I stumbled in here with 15 hearts, it took 30 hits for me to die.
Hm, that must've changed in later versions, or they're not using damage tiles. A big thing I remember from ZC back in the day is that they ignored your rings/tunics. Kind of affected the difficulty of classic-style custom bosses.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DimiPZC posted:

Technically I guess they aren't spikes, so much as "weird moving root/vine things that hurt you if you step on them"; they're slightly more visible in motion theoretically, but the fog also moves, which, uh.

I'll let you judge if you can make out the spikes.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to make the experience more palatable for ya'll. If you want me to re-record this dungeon with the fog layer turned off or something, I have access to cheats and can do that fairly easily.
Okay yeah I can see the "spikes" now.

BisbyWorl posted:

I'd say keep the fog layer on while going around so we can get that Real BoaB Experience, but turn it off if there's something in particular you want to point out so we don't have to figure out which bit of covered pixels we're supposed to look at.
I agree with this, being disoriented and confused is the Proper BoaB Experience, but if it's critical that we see something you might want to turn off the fog layer.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Everything else I'd say has already been said, so I'd like to point out that the music here sounds like a drunk who'd only heard the Lost Woods music hummed by someone tone-deaf played it on a Casio keyboard. Like it's not even a weird distortion of the normal area music like the Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy music, it's just bad.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

SirSystemError posted:

Hm, that must've changed in later versions, or they're not using damage tiles. A big thing I remember from ZC back in the day is that they ignored your rings/tunics. Kind of affected the difficulty of classic-style custom bosses.

I looked in the editor and it's just a half heart damage tile, not a full heart. So you're probably right and I just counted really badly when counting hits. Probably only over half a minute at most assuming the damage just pierces your ring (which would make sense)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Having to watch Link slowly bleed out while impaled on a tree branch is some serious "be careful not to cut yourself on that edge" bullshit even beyond all the other dumb edgy poo poo in this game

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

MFDelta posted:

The motion is a slight improvement, but it hardly balances out the scale. Probably due to the fact that the scale broke a long time ago.

The suffering is the point.
I like the current title, but

Video Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: The suffering is the point

And good god this dungeon is just complete nonsense.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I very much wonder what MIDI sound font these tracks were intended to be played in. Normally I'd assume they must sound not-bad in whatever specific font the designer used, but... it's BoaB, so, 50/50. Maybe even 20/80.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

KennyMan666 posted:

Video Games > Let's Play! > Ballad of a Bloodline: The suffering is the point

:emptyquote:

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
You know mazes can be fun if they can be understood, if there's tricks to mapping them out and solving them and it's intuitive to go through. But nothing in BoaB is for a design purpose. A maze designed here is with the intention of "to get players lost," and that's it. This really does look like it's made for one type of person: the person who plays Zelda Classic too much. The true horror might be that there were a group of people who actually, thoroughly, enjoyed BoaB and they can't explain why. (Or they try and they just casually say they like the story and oh dear that opens up a plethora of questions about that person.)

I also went on a tangent on mazes because I look back at the contributions I've done to this ancient game engine and go, "I wonder if anyone liked the assholes mazes I did."

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

The nightmare continues, and my patience is currently bleeding from a tree. Click the image to read the update!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The sheer amount of traps the player can't actually predict and the fake new item...yeah, that sucks.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

DimiPZC posted:

The nightmare continues, and my patience is currently bleeding from a tree. Click the image to read the update!
Holy poo poo that compass thing

There's being player-hostile, and then there's whatever the gently caress Ballad of a Bloodline is.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
I'm losing track of the sheer amount of spite coursing through this dungeon's every tile

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

DimiPZC posted:

Let me know if there's anything I can do to make the experience more palatable for ya'll.

The suffering and terrible map design is the point. :colbert:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
So is the compass eating your map some sort of bug that they decided not to fix because it was 'funny' or a deliberate choice?

I realize that if there's a bug you leave in on purpose the categories are kind of blurred there.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I know you were busy with the death knight and getting killed in 2 hits and all, but I'm way more interested in the center of this screen. Why is there a lava pit with a small child and a giant snake skeleton in it? Did they realize "nightmare" means more than "incredibly tedious for the player"?

I'm also surprised, given the janky checkpointing, bad design, and active malice, that there hasn't been a checkpoint that completely softlocks you yet.

And having someone yoink the dungeon item from you could have been funny, in a game which deserved any good will whatsoever.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Qrr posted:

I know you were busy with the death knight and getting killed in 2 hits and all, but I'm way more interested in the center of this screen. Why is there a lava pit with a small child and a giant snake skeleton in it? Did they realize "nightmare" means more than "incredibly tedious for the player"?

I... think that's supposed to be Myra getting menaced by a monster while drowning?

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

DimiPZC posted:

Oh.

Picking up this compass permanently takes away the dungeon map for this dungeon. We're stuck with a blank map now. Game design!

Prism posted:

So is the compass eating your map some sort of bug that they decided not to fix because it was 'funny' or a deliberate choice?

I realize that if there's a bug you leave in on purpose the categories are kind of blurred there.
I'm gonna point at this specifically and explain exactly what's going on: dungeons in Zelda Classic are defined in the editor by DMaps, which define a Zelda 1-style level and what it looks like in-game and on the minimap. (so you can do sorcery like multiple dungeons on the same sheet of screens, or map; or a single dungeon with multiple floors, because they're all defined via DMaps to be the same level.) As for this quest's minimap? You can define custom minimaps for each of your DMaps to show an image instead of the normal Zelda 1 square grid: one for when you don't have a compass, and one for when you do.

Now, guess what this author forgot to do?

Nevermind. This was intentional. :ohno:

Someone's gotta ask why do I keep confirming these things.

LPFinale posted:

I'm losing track of the sheer amount of spite coursing through this dungeon's every tile
You can't call it spite if it wasn't done on purpose and I sincerely doubt it was. See above.

DarkMatt fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 9, 2022

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
This game sucks so much oh my god

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

...Today I learned that Nightmare has a pregnant cow you can buy hints from.

Qrr posted:

I'm pretty sure that's actually electrified water (as seen in Source of the Flow); so presumably there's just a girl getting electrocuted to death in a pit with a giant bone snake. This dungeon is all edge, and all weird poo poo.

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 9, 2022

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
Also,

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > BoaB: This is a nightmare, meant to be bad and frustrating.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'd be more on board with the "it's a nightmare, meant to be bad and frustrating" argument if there were any dungeons in the game that weren't bad and frustrating.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

DarkMatt posted:

Also,

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > BoaB: This is a nightmare, meant to be bad and frustrating.

:emptyquote:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

megane posted:

I'd be more on board with the "it's a nightmare, meant to be bad and frustrating" argument if there were any dungeons in the game that weren't bad and frustrating.
It's an accurate description of the entire game, though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

We can't change the title after every update!!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alxprit posted:

Or can we? :thunk:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Alxprit posted:

we near enough did for a long stretch of the game, because they kept producing unintentionally hilarious Engrish to help break up the unbearable gameplay.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
What's exciting is that I look at our new thread title, feel like this won't be topped, and know for a fact that there is a pretty high chance the next update might give us something else. It just keeps on giving.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just read from the start of this thread and there are still five more dungeons after this right. That's a true fact about BoaB.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kinu Nishimura posted:

I just read from the start of this thread and there are still five more dungeons after this right. That's a true fact about BoaB.

DarkMatt posted:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Abandon all hope (of a good game), ye who enter this accursed realm.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Qrr posted:

You aren't thinking evil enough.

I can totally see this game having a big empty room with one random blank square you need to burn for mandatory progression.

DimiPZC posted:

Click the image above to view the update!

Well speak of the devil.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Aside: Every time I see “Myra” I assume we’re going to run into “Pythra” next.

Goddamn, though, this dungeon is spiteful, even for this game.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

The end of the Nightmare. Click the image above to read the update!

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 12, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

DimiPZC posted:

The end of the Nightmare. Click the image above to read the update!

DimiPZC posted:

Well, if I have to suffer through the backtracking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqLPX52EFnA

You do too.

Broken embed on the test poster.

e: ZERO????

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Fixed!