Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CWilliamson44/status/1788568659473924429

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/wnba-toronto-awarded-expansion-team-1.7198595

Guess the presentation went well. Welcome to Toronto, WNBA.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Nice!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This is such great news. Especially happy about them playing in a smaller arena.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

BWV posted:

This is such great news. Especially happy about them playing in a smaller arena.

WNBA season runs through September, right? I wonder if they'll do the cool thing and run a dope homestand through the Ex or if they'll get the Marlies treatment and get kicked out for a month a year.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i hope they choose a sick dinosaur name

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hope they go with Huskies.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Golden State Valkyries

https://twitter.com/wnbagoldenstate/status/1790359326496014557

I think it goes great with Warriors and is cool itself. Interesting that it's purple, I assumed the new Toronto team would try and scoop up purple.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
not bad

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

It's fine but doesn't have any local tie in that I can think of. Weird being named golden state and not having gold as a color, but then it would be too close to the Sparks.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thinking about going to the Fever home opener on Thursday. Didn't budget for it and I've got a flight early the next morning so it might be a Very Bad Idea, but it also feels like a historical moment.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Caitlin Clark debut time, giddyup

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Caitlin about to son the Sun at the Sun

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
showtime

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
NaLyssa Smith is about to get a lot of people being shocked at how fuckin good she is.

Underrated as hell.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Breaking out the behind-the-back bounce passes in game one lol

welcome back Jason Williams

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

no points, two fouls so far

sigh

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Vertical Lime posted:

no points, two fouls so far

sigh

This is about as bad as could be, but the passing still looks great. She'll get the jitters out.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Clark really needs some kind of paint-but-not-rim game. That floater/push-shot looked absolutely terrible. I think that will be key to her hurting teams that sell out to stop her drives and spot-ups.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
drat, Clark a bust already. RIP

She'll be fine and those fouls were iffy anyway.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Ball don't lie free throws.

Sides so far has had a hard time getting players to feed the post and see cutters. Past year and half I assumed it was a player issue, but at some point it's on coaching. You have Smith and Boston posting up, get them the ball, let them cook.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

OK, you gotta at least try the half-court shot as time expires

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Indiana big fans of the behind the back pass

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Well, I'm guessing the tickets for Thursday's game are gonna dip a bit, so that's nice for me

edit: gosh there is a lot of travelling getting called for pro ball

surf rock fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 15, 2024

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Same Fever team from last year so far, same struggles. Wheeler with a 0 across the board sure aint helping

Edit: Down by only 10 and playing this bad? I'll take it! Let's go!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

OK, the first half ends with the Fever down 10. Their shooting and rebounding has been about on-par with the Sun, but the turnover difference (13 to 5) is steep.

Clark's been the worst offender on turnovers with 5, plus 2 fouls. Shooting started off 0-4 but has now improved to 2-7 with 7 points, 1 assist, and 1 steal.

Not great, but getting better (except the turnovers).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Liberty game is interesting. Allowing more contact than I expected but some weird defensive lapses especially closing out and contesting jumpers in the paint. Team moves the ball well and sets a lot of interesting down screens

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cool game, nail biter.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Libs going unbeaten and winning the title

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
That amount of turnovers just aint ever going to be it.

turnovers and fouls and turnovers and fouls and turnovers and fouls and tu

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Well, while a win or a closer loss would've been nice, this isn't a surprise.

Clark tonight looked like Clark two months ago, except versus much stiffer competition on a team where her only good chemistry so far seems to be Smith. Still a shooting threat and a capable passer, but with everything looking harder and sloppier. The story is going to be her turnovers, but I think an equally big story is Boston struggling badly. She got a couple of blocks and did alright rebounding, so she wasn't invisible, but she was a liability on offense.

I'm a little worried this team is going to conclude that they just need to replicate the Iowa offense and force-feed the ball to Clark. They probably would've done better tonight with that approach, but the ceiling for that is also low.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/yc/status/1790564762784251958

jesus christ that bobblehead.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gonna be honest Caitlin losing her first game sucks but it’s making me feel a lot better watching the Mercury come out and poo poo the bed this quickly

Edit: obviously Gustafson getting a contract at all is a huge thing for her but it must feel especially nice to be one of the last people off the Bad Vibes Express in Phoenix and getting to play with a team as smooth as the Aces

edit 2: like breaking up with a toxic guy and then seeing him again 6 months later with a woman who is 5 months pregnant and missing some teeth

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 15, 2024

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Sky are going to be real fun to watch this year. If they are on and you have a chance, turn it on.

Things to watch tonight, Early Game:
-Marina Mabrey. Everything she does is so drat smooth and every night she has the chance of just exploding in buckets. Last year the Fever had to play high school ball deny face guarding off ball just to survive her.

-Angel Reese makes her debut
-Can Natasha Howard and Arike Ogunbowale pick it up while Satou Sabally is out? (Yes.)
Late Game:
-If you are new to the W and want to see some fantastic highlights, google Rhyne Howard.
-Sparks are young. They had the 2nd and 4th picks in this draft. I have no idea what to expect.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I can't watch the Sky because they are playing the Wings in Dallas and I'm region blocked and don't have a Bally's subscription. :(

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Teaira going off.

Feels like all 10 of the Wings assists have gone to her...and that's just good ball. Never not give her the ball right now.

I was just typing "Mabrey needs to get going" and she gets one

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Kibner posted:

I can't watch the Sky because they are playing the Wings in Dallas and I'm region blocked and don't have a Bally's subscription. :(

It's apparently on twitter. I think you need to be signed in.

Might ignore blackouts? https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1vAGRvqQblPGl

edit: It's halftime currently so the same highlight package they always run for a bit. Game'll be back soon.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Athanatos posted:

It's apparently on twitter. I think you need to be signed in.

Might ignore blackouts? https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1vAGRvqQblPGl

That works, thanks!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Arike vs Mabrey has been fantastic. Going at each other almost every time down the floor.

Edit: 4th about to start, all tied up.

Reese getting good at finding spots she can be open and Mabrey good at finding her.

Arike with the "warm up the charter" Dagger 3 to end it. Great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Well, that was a close, exciting game for like 3.5 quarters and then Arike just ran the hell away with it.