Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
They're doing the upzoning in calgary too and all the future amateur basement suite landlords are upset about it

I think the only neighborhoods not getting rezoned are the super rich mt royal lol. This country sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

mila kunis posted:

canada is a unique country so any useful skills or work you did anywhere else (esp in bad nonwhite countries) dont count here, because our standards are so very high no one else could possibly reach them. this is why foreign doctors have to do deliveries for a living here. there was a discussion about in d&d
It's actually really difficult for foreign doctors to get into obstetrics, despite the demand. So they're not doing deliveries either!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont. gently caress that guy, I hope a shark ate his tiny gym shorts.

I can't hate him, he was too much of an ungainly clown, somebody literally too ugly for halloween.

quote:

Pallister stands by his dislike of Halloween. He was 6’3 when he hit his teens, and no disguise could mask his identity, leading to taunts from other kids.

this is a guy who marinated in his own self-loathing, an enormous siege tower of unresolved childhood trauma who for some reason chose a public-facing career that forced him to confront his core emptiness over and over and over. He never really mastered the essential fascist art of masking his emptiness with a polished facade, so his emotional volatility was always right there, ready to simmer over, and drat if I didn't like to see him cry.

I don't really care who is in power in Manitoba. It's a circus, so give me the biggest clown to watch. Right now, Wab Kinew is, for example, giving the go-ahead to Premium Sand to begin their industrial-scale pollution of Lake Winnipeg, while he and his ministers laud Israel's genocide, just as the Cons would have.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i guess better things were not actually possible in winnipeg

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Guy in the D&D thread called me scum for saying the Manitoba election didn't matter lol. Voting ftw

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

For roughly 60 days a year, Jacqueline Baptist rents her cottage out on sites such as Airbnb. But she doesn’t think of the money as income, because it almost entirely goes toward upkeep for her four-season, four-bedroom property in Algonquin Highlands, the costs of which can exceed $10,000 a year.

I don't think of what my job pays me as income because it goes entirely towards the upkeep of my continued existence.

I don't just mean food and rent, I also mean the money I spend on lego and video games. It's very important to my mental health, and should not be taxable.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Good things about Manitoba:

1) lakes
2) polar bears
3) that kingshead pub in downtown winnipeg with a good vindaloo
4) elections i guess
5) proximity to saskatchewan

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
also you can't tax my legos because I live in it for one third of the year

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

An apartment building in Winnipeg just evicted all their tenants because it's going to collapse. Gave them like 12 hours to get out of the building and a ton of the residents are old. I knew one person living there and they are very low income so finding a place is very difficult. Some residents didn't even have phones or internet access.

Birchwood Terrace if anyone's interested

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Put that on the bad things about Manitoba list

Edit: at least they evicted them before it collapsed. But without investigating i am very confident that the landlord postponed critical maintenance for probably a decade

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Globe and mail is worried about landlords too:

[New rules on capital gains] outraged many cottage owners, who bought decades ago and have seen large enough gains to be impacted by the new tax rules. They consider themselves in the middle class – some of them struggle to afford their cottages as is – and resent the fact that they could be taxed at a higher rate when their cottage is sold or passed on as part of their estate.

For roughly 60 days a year, Jacqueline Baptist rents her cottage out on sites such as Airbnb. But she doesn’t think of the money as income, because it almost entirely goes toward upkeep for her four-season, four-bedroom property in Algonquin Highlands, the costs of which can exceed $10,000 a year.

Even in early pandemic years, where renting generated upward of $50,000 in income, much of that money went back into the property, whether that was for renovations, maintaining the access road or other maintenance that kept the home presentable for paying guests.

Now, Algonquin Highlands is imposing limits on short-term rentals and requiring owners to apply for permits and charge their renters a 4-per-cent tax on top of sales taxes. The charge only applies to short-term rentals, not hotels.

Ms. Baptist, who also owns a condo in Toronto but designates her cottage as her primary residence and lives there for roughly one-third of the year, says there are unknowns in the process: Will she be able to acquire a permit? Will the municipality inspect rental properties and require renovations that bring them up to certain codes?

If she isn’t able to acquire a permit, she’d have to dip into her registered retirement savings plan to pay yearly costs of holding the property. And with her mortgage renewal coming up in late 2025, she expects to take a large hit on monthly payments that have been anchored to a 1.89-per-cent rate in recent years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ5nHr6cDTY

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Fried Watermelon posted:

An apartment building in Winnipeg just evicted all their tenants because it's going to collapse. Gave them like 12 hours to get out of the building and a ton of the residents are old. I knew one person living there and they are very low income so finding a place is very difficult. Some residents didn't even have phones or internet access.

Birchwood Terrace if anyone's interested

Wow Chinese ghost city cardboard buildings really are- wait what. No... that can't be right

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ElehemEare posted:

I generally support the upzoning and backyard suites but god forbid we ever get to a point where the city lets us subdivide lots and someone can own their own backyard suite.

Also they aren’t upzoning poo poo in my very downtown neighborhood because a guy who died seven years ago launched a push for a Heritage Conservation district before he died.

It's not totally terrible but yeah without breaking up lots it's just another landlording on-ramp. Also all the places the city approved for true high-density but then chickened out because they got less than 200 emails from Dal professors and South End landlords lmfao

The Portland heritage area really pisses me off because it's only happening now that developers have already ripped the place up for (Torontocels stop reading here) condos and luxury apartments and gentrified our delightful lovely little main street all to hell. Gottingen 2.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Using the Wayback machine to look at rents in Dartmouth five years ago and doing a big Joker laugh while ominous classical music swells to deafening volumes lmao

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

You'll find that Manitoba NPCs deliver the same kind of rich, context-specific dialogue

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Saw a weather the other day. I steered clear of it. Good day to you.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Gully Foyle posted:

Hahahaha, gently caress you, how do you say and quote that and print it in a paper with any possible shred of dignity.

I guess I shouldn't think of my salary as income, cause it almost entirely goes to upkeep of my body in the form of groceries and rent payments.

i mean the whole thing is incredible. worried about having to put money in the property to get it up to code. mortgage at a sub 2% interest rate. primary residence is in cottage country so she doesn't have to pay toronto taxes on her condo

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

DaysBefore posted:

Using the Wayback machine to look at rents in Dartmouth five years ago and doing a big Joker laugh while ominous classical music swells to deafening volumes lmao

Equivalent units to my place in Dartmouth are up 50-100% since 2020, and I was lucky enough to get in before every landlord in NS discovered fixed-term leases. All my coworkers are homeowners so I either get blank stares or "well I had to sell my investment property at a loss because of bad tenants" if I express any anxiety about being a renter.

I can't imagine rent control actually ending despite Bermuda Tim's insistence that it needs to "phase out", but they'll probably increase the cap to 10% or something just to appease IPOANS.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
What was BC's economy before it was a real estate scam?

American genre TV shows filming there and lumber?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

hootsuite and lululemon.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

I can't imagine rent control actually ending despite Bermuda Tim's insistence that it needs to "phase out", but they'll probably increase the cap to 10% or something just to appease IPOANS.

Whatever you do don’t say “John Lohr” three times at your bathroom mirror or he’ll appear behind you with a Form DR5.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Good things about Manitoba:

1) lakes
2) polar bears
3) that kingshead pub in downtown winnipeg with a good vindaloo
4) elections i guess
5) proximity to saskatchewan

These are all things that can kill you, though.

Manitoba is a viable MAID alternative, I suppose.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Deer and Almond is good

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

lol

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Karach posted:

Right now, Wab Kinew is, for example, giving the go-ahead to Premium Sand to begin their industrial-scale pollution of Lake Winnipeg, while he and his ministers laud Israel's genocide, just as the Cons would have.

Why are western leftists such poo poo at being leftists in power?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

During the days from Monday to Friday, I work at a company for a salary, however I don't think of the money I receive as income because I reinvest it towards upkeep of my body by feeding and housing it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Equivalent units to my place in Dartmouth are up 50-100% since 2020, and I was lucky enough to get in before every landlord in NS discovered fixed-term leases. All my coworkers are homeowners so I either get blank stares or "well I had to sell my investment property at a loss because of bad tenants" if I express any anxiety about being a renter.

Yup it rules. Oh my rents really high - I know what you mean, my last tenant missed a rent payment because got layed off so I evicted him. Yup, hard out there for everybody

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Galen Weston operates hundreds of for profit grocery stores across Canada. But he doesn't think of that money as income, because it almost all goes towards repurchasing items for sale, wages for employees, and corporate bonuses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/editorsblog/editor-blog-gaza-breach-1.7189987

Cbc responds to the story about them ignoring Palestinian voices and suppressing news stories.

It's poo poo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Doug Ford accepted dozens of valuable gifts from developers and lobbyists attending his daughter's wedding but he doesn't consider that income and he's right.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"No one story or interview will capture the complexity of the Israel-Hamas war"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Calgary lawyer resigns after sending 'disturbing' and 'misogynistic' email

I mean how bad can it b-

quote:

Rakochey, who has been practising law in Alberta for the past 34 years, sent a 2,000-word email on May 7 to dozens of colleagues and lawyers in Calgary, inviting them to his annual Rob Rakochey Invitational golf tournament in Kimberley, B.C.

"Probably leave the Ho's behind this trip — there is enough talent in town," he wrote in the email.
"If you do plan on nodding repeatedly, as some do, please close your mouth lest people get the wrong impression," wrote Rakochey.

"Unless you are a person with a vagina, in which case I am in Room 408."
The message details what to expect at the tournament, including the resort and golf packages available.

"You can come as often as you want — just respect your roommate and wipe up afterwards," he says.

The three-night Finishers Package is for golfers who "know where we came from, where we are, where we are going and are comfortable."

A two-night stay was labelled the Transitioners Package.

"Converting, changing, still a bit confused, but on your journey."

"Back to the issue of trans people," wrote Rakochey earlier in the email. "People born one way but later decide they want to be another."

Imagine writing all that :chloe: and thinking it's okay to hit send because:

quote:

Rob Rakochey was awarded a King's counsel (KC) title in March in recognition of his contributions to the legal community

A King's counsel designation is an honour for lawyers who exhibit the highest level of integrity in the profession.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Commodities and scams.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

madmatt112 posted:

Trained wrong as a joke

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

madmatt112 posted:

flippant answer:

HiroProtagonist posted:

What a lack of class analysis does to a mfer

The question then becomes why few if any Canadian politicians or public intellectual talk about class or historical materialism seriously any more.

I used to hang out with a leftish group led by a labour studies guy, who was always telling me about how the organized left had been dismantled and dispersed in Canada, to the point where he could only imagine the group as a sort of "seed crystal" for future leftist organizing, not as a political party in of itself.

Now, I'm still at the Precocious Toddler stage of my political education, but the more I understand about the various anti-communist programs put in place by Western governments after WW2, the more I have come to realize that the destruction of the left was one of the most successful policy initiatives ever undertaken by a modern state. In the space of decades, they murdered, drove into hiding, or terrorized into silence everybody who'd even glanced briefly at a student pamphlet about communism, to the point where the word itself became synonymous with "bad." They've also been successful at neutralizing even the vestiges of the left, turning, for example, (many) unions into docile guilds of labour aristocrats who care only about securing the privileges of their members (and are fighting a losing battle even on that front). They've also erased the history of the left from public discourse, to the point where you can hardly find a person to talk to who understands Marxist-Leninist theory or who can educate you on how poo poo actually works. Hence why we have literal monuments to the West's victory over its left (the Victims of Communism memorial) in Ottawa and Washington. The ruling class now has the technology to detect, contain, and co-opt any spontaneous people power movement, and so can strangle any serious potential opposite in the cradle. Then we have the US-led proliferation of the non-violence movement, which has furnished the modern would-be anti-imperialist with an almost magical belief about how power works in a modern state; we have created a class of young people who think that standing in front of a building yelling or occupying a public square is how you make a revolution happen. They don't think about the material preparation and organization that went into making the October or Cuban Revolutions happen. In other words, the powers that be killed all the smart people who posed a threat to them, and then proceeded to train the rest of us badly as a joke.

All of which, in answer to your question, is to say that we have created conditions in which it is nearly impossible to foster the sort of politically minded person who could build a communist political organization that might pose a serious threat to the current ruling class. The leftists I have encountered do not like to think about how power can be wielded by a central authority to improve the lives of workers, because they have been taught that exerting power over people is Bad and What Authoritarian (Bad) Governments do. The best that the left can do, apparently, is extract very minor concessions from the ruling class that can be easily overturned later, because no organized form of people power exists to stop them from doing so.

It's why the Palestinian protests give me some hope, because they have been so sustained, and the state response so incoherent and feeble. But the protests need to coalesce into a party with roots in communities and among workers, one with a serious, easy to understand program, or yet another group of young leaders are going to end up shot in the head in a back alley somewhere.

or, TLDR:

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Trained wrong as a joke

Karach has issued a correction as of 20:37 on May 18, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/editorsblog/editor-blog-gaza-breach-1.7189987

Cbc responds to the story about them ignoring Palestinian voices and suppressing news stories.

It's poo poo.

Reopen the Cape Breton coal mines and send every CBC manager down the deeps. loving scum

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Reopen the Cape Breton coal mines and send every CBC manager down the deeps. loving scum

I'm not joking: defund CBCs news desk. Bring back HNIC and pay more art and theatre kids to do stuff.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Isentropy posted:

I'm not joking: defund CBCs news desk. Bring back HNIC and pay more art and theatre kids to do stuff.

You'll get israeli propaganda and family feud canada and like it

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
remember when cbc had shows like road to avonlea and poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The people who support genocide complain when we have victims of genocide on the news. Don't you see how fair we are??