Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
one group is concerned a race of people are being wiped out, while another is upset a minority of voices within its community are getting air time, but perhaps the truth is in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Trained wrong as a joke

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Isentropy posted:

I'm not joking: defund CBCs news desk. Bring back HNIC and pay more art and theatre kids to do stuff.

who do you think is going the actual work on the news desk. disaffected art and theatre kids who went to jschool.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

madmatt112 posted:

Why are western leftists such poo poo at being leftists in power?

Only leftists focused on the proper maintenance of the imperial project are allowed near power. Even that much is an uphill battle to prevent the capitalists from killing everything and themselves.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'd argue the opposite: the systems and institutions in place make it difficult to have a leftwing government in power that doesn't have to compromise in some fashion in order to stay in power. Individual or even individuals will can't overcome the very structures that shape politics as the distribution of resources of a society.

If you think it's just a leftists-are-defficient problem then you will forever be disappointed because no one will be capable of delivering a comprehensive leftwing political platform that also has a shot at power through elections.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/editorsblog/editor-blog-gaza-breach-1.7189987

Cbc responds to the story about them ignoring Palestinian voices and suppressing news stories.

It's poo poo.

quote:

Complaints about coverage come from both sides

Ah well, okay then. Carry on.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

one side isn't allowed to say the g-word to correctly describe the plight of their people and the other side feels scared, attacked, and vulnerable if they hear reality described to them

many sides, many sides

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
one side feels attacked by words, the other side feels attacked by bombs and starvation, as a very smart journalist I literally cannot tell the difference between them

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

At least it's not like it took us 155 years of genociding indigenous people before our leaders could stand up in the house and call the ongoing genocide by that name or something

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Re: BC unpaid taxes on real estate

My mom works for the BC govt doing real estate assessment appeals and avoidance investigations, we discuss it a lot. She talks a lot about how almost every investigation reveals something major, and the schemes she comes across are so badly planned and executed that anyone can see it, but that they would need ten times the staff to actually make a dent. Furthermore, they get so bogged down with the paperwork generated by the sheer amount of easy cases that there are likely huge well organized avoidance schemes operating with total impunity.

I have to imagine the government is fine with this on some level. She's very well paid, but generates 10s of millions of dollars of revenue for the province every year. The work she does pays for itself, even factoring in the cases that go to court. Why don't they hire like a hundred more people in that same position?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Virtual Russian posted:

Re: BC unpaid taxes on real estate

My mom works for the BC govt doing real estate assessment appeals and avoidance investigations, we discuss it a lot. She talks a lot about how almost every investigation reveals something major, and the schemes she comes across are so badly planned and executed that anyone can see it, but that they would need ten times the staff to actually make a dent. Furthermore, they get so bogged down with the paperwork generated by the sheer amount of easy cases that there are likely huge well organized avoidance schemes operating with total impunity.

I have to imagine the government is fine with this on some level. She's very well paid, but generates 10s of millions of dollars of revenue for the province every year. The work she does pays for itself, even factoring in the cases that go to court. Why don't they hire like a hundred more people in that same position?

because if they hire too many people the illegal stuff will actually stop and then they'll have all these employees with nothing to do who they probably can't fire

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
imagine if the police actually lowerd crime rates, and then all these hired goons were collecting 100s of thousands of dollars to do nothing and you couldnt get rid of them

theyd probably hope crime increases again

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

100%

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

madmatt112 posted:

Why are western leftists such poo poo at being leftists in power?

when they actually get in they view using the power as a moral failing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KerryShima_RCMP/status/1791969810366288090?t=Zdri-kWbj-96X0KhRJam0g&s=19

How bad does the UCP have to be to get the RCMP on their rear end like this.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

xposting because I hate Canadian drivers and their trucks both:

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/KerryShima_RCMP/status/1791969810366288090?t=Zdri-kWbj-96X0KhRJam0g&s=19

How bad does the UCP have to be to get the RCMP on their rear end like this.

Lmao. And the comments are all defending it because "its a small town"

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Look, in a small town there aren't many options which is why you have to marry your 14 year old cousin

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

ZShakespeare posted:

Look, in a small town there aren't many options which is why you have to marry your 14 year old cousin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULPwkpCy_-8

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
In non cousin loving news, I just read this really depressing article on how the rivers in the Northwest Territory are too low for the barges this summer, and the winter road season is shorter than ever because of climate change. So price problems are going to get worse and infrastructure (new houses, schools, arenas etc) are not going to be built this year.

https://cabinradio.ca/183822/news/travel/will-there-be-any-barges-at-all-this-summer/

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

mediaphage posted:

when they actually get in they view using the power as a moral failing

“Authoritarian” means literally using authority lmao western leftists are so dumb for falling for this poo poo

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Precambrian Video Games posted:

xposting because I hate Canadian drivers and their trucks both:

More proof of Yankeefication. Canadians used to have European preferences for hatchbacks, station wagons and manuals and all three are out the window as our Boomers got richer, fatter and lazier (so more American).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

More proof of Yankeefication. Canadians used to have European preferences for hatchbacks, station wagons and manuals and all three are out the window as our Boomers got richer, fatter and lazier (so more American).

Fortunately we can smugly blame Americans for starting it in large part with the insane CAFE standards and then building these hunks of poo poo here so that our economy is dependent on continuing to sell Child Mulcher XLTs.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I want the F150's vestigial bed to fall off so everyone is driving around trucks that look like 6000lb smart cars.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

In non cousin loving news, I just read this really depressing article on how the rivers in the Northwest Territory are too low for the barges this summer, and the winter road season is shorter than ever because of climate change. So price problems are going to get worse and infrastructure (new houses, schools, arenas etc) are not going to be built this year.

https://cabinradio.ca/183822/news/travel/will-there-be-any-barges-at-all-this-summer/

Some of the photos coming out of how low the water levels are in Yellowknife Bay are really scary, too.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

It's depressing watching my hometown go through all this from a distance.

The dumber part though is listening to my parents swear on their life, quite vociferously, that the ice road always took until January+, winter never started before November, and the water levels and fire encroachments totally happened in 96-06.

It's just like, you fuckers lived there, we did things that counteract that. Jesus gently caress your brains refuse to ever countenance being wrong but only in this sort of thing.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

every vehicle should be taxed based on weight

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Today I learned that baby eels are called elvers, and that I could buy a luxury tr*ck with a Big Gulp cup's worth of them

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-ont-elver-seizure-1.7208615

quote:

The baby eels are worth about $5,000 per kilogram — more than lobsters, scallops or salmon — making them the most valuable fish by weight in Canada.

Elvers weigh just a few grams and are less than 10 centimetres long. The baby eels, sometimes called glass eels, are typically flown to Asia where they're raised to maturity and sold for food and used in unagi dishes at sushi restaurants.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah when DFO out here isn't focused on harassing or arresting Indigenous people exercising their Treaty rights they're trying to bust up the elver fishery

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

This may partly be consumer preference, but most car companies have eliminated certain car models and replaced them with similar "crossover SUVs."

They say they are responding to demand, but the fuel consumption guidelines are much weaker for crossovers and the margins are higher, so I'd bet this is another case of :capitalism:

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
It turns out that European eels are almost extinct, which is pretty terrifying but also funny because capitalism destroyed everything and yet these morons keep voting for the Tories even though you can't get jellied eels and pie anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaS0EIqESc4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-YrFHQ47RU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah the fact that a lot of companies don't bother making or exporting regular sedans to Canada def doesn't help. Also lol badass Spotify ad the other day for Jeep that was literally showing how driving big cars makes you feel badass and encourages dangerous things (when you drive a Jeep everything is dangerous, drive through the park in your Jeep-esque ad copy) but it's all presented as a positive

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

StealthArcher posted:

The dumber part though is listening to my parents swear on their life, quite vociferously, that the ice road always took until January+, winter never started before November, and the water levels and fire encroachments totally happened in 96-06.

It's just like, you fuckers lived there, we did things that counteract that. Jesus gently caress your brains refuse to ever countenance being wrong but only in this sort of thing.

The nations up north are hosed but it's okay because we cannot, ever, under any circumstance, disrupt the flow of Treats to the landlord and aspiring-landlord class

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

PhilippAchtel posted:

This may partly be consumer preference, but most car companies have eliminated certain car models and replaced them with similar "crossover SUVs."

They say they are responding to demand, but the fuel consumption guidelines are much weaker for crossovers and the margins are higher, so I'd bet this is another case of :capitalism:

That's my thinking too, since some of them use the same wheelbase. Hyundai and Nissan just put worse, boxy, CUVs on existing compact platforms.

But it worked out for them because Kona, despite sucking, having body roll, feeling floaty, and being uglier than the Elantra station wagon, was the best selling car in Canada for years.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

I'm not sure I should consume a concentrated dose of Britannia this early on a Sunday morning

THICK. GREEN. LIQUOR.

PARSIMONIOUS PARSLEY PREPARED PUNCTUALLY FOR PEWED PATRONS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Karach posted:

I'm not sure I should consume a concentrated dose of Britannia this early on a Sunday morning

THICK. GREEN. LIQUOR.

PARSIMONIOUS PARSLEY PREPARED PUNCTUALLY FOR PEWED PATRONS

my brain is rejecting this like those hosed up midjourney images

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
This is our national birthright as Canadians.

This is what they took from you

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

infernal machines posted:

my brain is rejecting this like those hosed up midjourney images

For 25p, Tubby will set you to rights. Step right up and nosh on some nutrimentical Neptunian nasties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Same thing with my Dad and climate change. We all lived in BC in the 90s, I can't remember the sun being blotted out and it snowing ash, but he swears this is normal and we need not worry. My mom is still sane at least, and still lives in BC, and says the only thing comparable was went Mt St Helens erupted in 1980.