Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

I just got my first Moderna dose on Monday. Only side effect was minor soreness in my arm. Now I'm waiting for an email to let me know when my second dose will be. :gritin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KittenCaboodle posted:

Is there any solid data on how long immunity from the vaccines lasts?

I was vaccinated last October as part of a trial and I've just been sent an appointment for a vaccine through our health service. Probably a dumb question but with all the talk of 6-month immunity and then needing a booster I was wondering if I should keep the appointment and get done again.
Nobody knows yet. The initial trial people are still showing immunity so we won’t have any idea until they find immunity decreasing in those that did the first trials.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Second dose was tuesday. I spent yesterday shivering, fatigued, and achy.

First shot at Walgreens, second at CVS. My wife played vaccine concierge for the immediate family and we're all fully vaccinated now.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk
First Zeneca shot yesterday through the mass injection clinic. Injection site did a slow burn all night and now it feels as if I was repeatedly punched in the area. Felt really wiped out by the evening and then tripped balls with weird dreams all night.

Bring on the 2 weeks to get the immunity / nanites online and then another 8 to 16 weeks wait for the second shot. Hopefully India doesn't horde to much, but considering what's going on there, I can be patient and practice continued avoidance of people.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Hi ship all of this to Canada please we will inject anything we don't give a gently caress.

Also, Quebec finally announced mass vaccination starting in 2 weeks :unsmith:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm going to get the COVID shot each year because having had COVID, I can confidently say that it's a million times worse than the vaccine side effects but God drat I do not want to go through this year after year

I feel worse than when I had the flu shot

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

no mom very hungry posted:

I just got my first Moderna dose on Monday. Only side effect was minor soreness in my arm. Now I'm waiting for an email to let me know when my second dose will be. :gritin:

did they not give you vaccination card with your return date hastily scribbled on there

also holy loving poo poo if we don't hit herd immunity by choice then I will be the guy on the street corner with a sign and shouting for people to strongly consider getting vaccinated

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 29, 2021

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Any decently sourced updates out of Brazil or India?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My hateful racist trump-loving father is now full of 2 moderna shots and I'm very pleased that he intends to wear masks for "months to come the way biden is doin' things!"

who cares about his why so long as he has one strapped to his face?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

this doesn't make any sense, United Airlines did a highly scientific study that said airplanes are safe, why would they lie?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
When I go to Costco the person at the door says I can get a vaccine right then and there lol

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

poll plane variant posted:

When I go to Costco the person at the door says I can get a vaccine right then and there lol

free samples getting out of hand

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

poll plane variant posted:

“I’ll take two, to go.”

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTUm48ktfso

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Got my second shot. Got a burger and a shake. My burger was missing its top bun, BILL GATES WHY DID YOU STEAL PART OF MY BURGER BUN?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My hateful racist trump-loving father is now full of 2 moderna shots and I'm very pleased that he intends to wear masks for "months to come the way biden is doin' things!"
Is this a compliment or derision? I can't tell with these people.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

stab posted:

Hi ship all of this to Canada please we will inject anything we don't give a gently caress.

Also, Quebec finally announced mass vaccination starting in 2 weeks :unsmith:

Isn't that already happening? I thought I heard on CBC radio that excess vaccines are being sent here from the US.

My wife got her first shot last Thursday since she's an educator. I left teaching behind last June so I have to wait until June.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Blistex posted:

Isn't that already happening? I thought I heard on CBC radio that excess vaccines are being sent here from the US.

My wife got her first shot last Thursday since she's an educator. I left teaching behind last June so I have to wait until June.

Lol no. They loaned us 1.5m Astra Zeneca's 6 weeks ago or so.

And the excess is all unconfirmed for now, I heard there's a country dealing with a bigger shitshow righr now...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The federal Australian government paused all international flights coming from India earlier this week, assuring us that indirect flights through other cities like Doha, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur had also been stopped by their respective governments. Except it turns out that Qatar Airlines were still allowing connecting flights out of Doha until at least late Wednesday, so we've had several days of flights from India even after the door was supposedly slammed shut.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-30/travel-india-loophole-australia-qatar-india-closed-covid/100106306

Pine Cone Jones posted:

The Modi government is working hard to squash news out of India but there's a poster in the CSPAM thread who is scouring twitter every day for uncensored personal accounts from people in the thick of it. It's real bad!!

E: here's a good article on India
https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/1387554701579804672

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 30, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The federal Australian government paused all international flights coming from India earlier this week, assuring us that indirect flights through other cities like Doha, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur had also been stopped by their respective governments. Except it turns out that Qatar Airlines were still allowing connecting flights out of Doha until at least late Wednesday, so we've had several days of flights from India even after the door was supposedly slammed shut.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-30/travel-india-loophole-australia-qatar-india-closed-covid/100106306

The Modi government is working hard to squash news out of India but there's a poster in the CSPAM thread who is scouring twitter every day for uncensored personal accounts from people in the thick of it. It's real bad!!

Yeah apparently Modi's big thing rn is to order Twitter to take down tweets accurately describing what's happening in India

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Platystemon posted:

“I’ll take two, to go.” a 24 pack."

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Ms Panna, who will be offered the Pfizer vaccine, says she's a "little fearful" of taking it.

"I'm not against the vaccine," Ms Panna said.

"But in the news it's all over the place [it's] kind of confusing, there's always [changing] information."

And exclusive data provided to the ABC from the Centre of Research Excellence in Disability and Health at the University of Melbourne shows that in her profession, she's not alone.

An online survey of 368 disability support workers from across Australia, conducted from March 5 to April 8 this year, found that only half would get the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as it was offered to them.

The survey was conducted before the federal government changed its advice on the AstraZeneca vaccine because of blood clotting concerns, recommending Australians under the age of 50 take the Pfizer vaccine instead.

The other half that were hesitant and could be divided into two groups — "delayed vaccinators" and "refusers" — with 17 per cent indicating they wouldn't have the jab at all.

That is much higher than the general population, with a survey conducted by the ABC in late February showing 10 per cent were "very unlikely" to get the vaccine.

Lead author Anne Kavanagh from the University of Melbourne said the survey found of those undecided, 68 per cent reported there was inadequate data about the safety of the vaccine and 59 per cent were worried about possible side effects.

"This is a population that has quite a high level of vaccine hesitancy, higher than we're finding in the general population," Professor Kavanagh said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-30/covid19-vaccine-hesitancy-australian-support-workers/100103576

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I wonder what this "changing information" is on the "news" that's she's talking about?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

I wonder what this "changing information" is on the "news" that's she's talking about?

She’s a loving idiot

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Koirhor posted:

She’s a loving idiot

It's this.

Anecdotally, the most "this person is out of their loving mind"-types I've met have been nurses. Not doctors, just nurses. It's like they are close enough to medical knowledge they assume they somehow know more than the average person. Like a profession infested with "I've seen a lot of photoshops in my day" trope but instead it's health related.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KakerMix posted:

It's this.

Anecdotally, the most "this person is out of their loving mind"-types I've met have been nurses. Not doctors, just nurses. It's like they are close enough to medical knowledge they assume they somehow know more than the average person. Like a profession infested with "I've seen a lot of photoshops in my day" trope but instead it's health related.

Yeah this tracks with my experiences too. They regularly think themselves to know more than the doctors too which is weird since doctors are also notorious for thinking they're smart in everything.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Koirhor posted:

She’s a loving idiot

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

A couple of people (literally, two people) died from blood clots after getting the AZ vaccine and the Australian health authorities therefore inexplicably decided to stop recommending AZ to people under the age of 50.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Got my first jab booked for Sunday. :toot:

It’s the AZ one, but it’s that or wait 4-6 weeks for an mRNA vaccine, and I don’t really feel like rolling those dice.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We broke records today :toot:

These variants are loving us up to the point the premier might actually do something other than say "don't leave this up to me, I'll look bad"

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I do NOT get nurses being hesitant.

Wtf
Surely they are seeing those ill from covid?!?
Not to mention dead
Vented etc

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Or hearing about it from grapevine of people they know in medical field. Explain this someone!!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A bunch of healthcare workers in the US were refusing to get it

I think earlier in the year in Ohio something like 40% refused?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

freebooter posted:

A couple of people (literally, two people) died from blood clots after getting the AZ vaccine and the Australian health authorities therefore inexplicably decided to stop recommending AZ to people under the age of 50.

They're not normal blood clots, more than two people got them, and we have other options. The rate is now estimated to be 20 cases in a million for 20s, 30s and 40s, with a quarter of those dying, mainly women. The predominant demographic of people working in nursing and carer roles are... women in their 20s, 30s and 40s.

Make 'em get Pfizer by all means, but in general I'm hard pressed to knock anyone with reservations about AZ in Australia where we have the luxury of caution, especially people in the risk zone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I were in Australia, and didn’t deal with coronavirus‐infected travellers professionally, I would decline the AstraZeneca vaccine.

There are many empty chambers on that revolver, but I’m not going to pull the trigger on it just so some dickheads can make tourism dollarydoos. The people deserve better.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I took vaccine 2 days ago and the only unusual thing was bleeding much much more from the nose as usual. I did not get autism so i could go SSJ2 sadly enough :(
(i have autism, that is why i said SSJ2 and not SSJ)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Spinz posted:

Wtf
Not to mention dead
Vented etc
These are Australian nurses, so maybe not?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spinz posted:

Wtf
Not to mention dead
Vented etc

There are a lot, LOT of stupid nurses, just like most fields have stupid people. An urgent care LPN isn’t going to have critical patients or likely even hear directly about them since they don’t really interact with ER/ICU nurses and is also exactly the demographic that will buy into the essential oils thing and other woo bullshit.

Oh god there were so many of those at the urgent care I worked at briefly. So many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

FlamingLiberal posted:

A bunch of healthcare workers in the US were refusing to get it

I think earlier in the year in Ohio something like 40% refused?

they were refusing it based on lack of testing which makes sense when you consider how long medical trials normally go on for

there were quotes about not wanting to be the 'first round' and waiting to see if any significant side effects surfaced, and then after the dust clears, get dosed up.