Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope Takayasu figures out what the hell is wrong with him, ailment wise. I’m going be honest and admit that I’ve been rooting for him so much that seeing him yeet out really made it hard to enjoy this tournament. I’m very indifferent on the results, despite rikishi I like having done really well (ishiura, enho), and some exciting bouts on most days.

Next basho I might try to enter with a more indifferent attitude, but I found it really hard to not be emotionally invested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
babbys first basho over here

question about Day 15's Takakeisho v Hakuho:

why didn't Takakeisho try to do something with his left hand while they were locked up? no attempt to get a grip or anything. it just hangs there uselessly

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

babbys first basho over here

question about Day 15's Takakeisho v Hakuho:

why didn't Takakeisho try to do something with his left hand while they were locked up? no attempt to get a grip or anything. it just hangs there uselessly

They're using all their energy holding each other in place because they are two very big and strong men pushing as hard as they can.

Well, more likely Takakeisho is at his limit and Hakuho is holding back a bit and saving energy, because he is the greatest. He has a few matches like this where he just starves his opponent, when he's not able to instantly clown them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

IMO, that final match was indicative of present-day Hakuho who is no longer as physically dominant but still successful. He conserves his strength more and employs yokozuna-level mindgames/tactics at the tachi-ai (slaps, forearm shivers, that quick hand drop yesterday to get Takakeisho off-balance).

I think he knows his body/physical condition is no longer what it used to be and adjusted his style accordingly.

This makes me wonder though - will Hakuho decide to retire on his own with no prompting from the elders after the Olympics? I kinda don't want to see his career end like so many others have had - a losing record (with possible kyujo) then a retirement announcement. Call me idealistic, but a Jordan circa 1998 retirement would be the best way for him to go out.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

“Because that’s what Hakuho wanted to happen” is the answer basically every time he takes the ring.

From Takakeiso’s side of things, he came in to the tourney with a significant injury to his left pec so he probably didn’t have full strength in that arm. And while Takakeisho is dominant at just overpowering people and shoving them out of the ring, but he’s not great at grappling. So once it got to a hugging contest Hak was in a pretty dominant position. Like I could imagine Hak whispering to Taka “I’ll give you as much time as you want to think of a plan and up you can have the first move,” and then waiting for takakeisho’s will to break as he realizes he’s still screwed.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

anakha posted:

IMO, that final match was indicative of present-day Hakuho who is no longer as physically dominant but still successful. He conserves his strength more and employs yokozuna-level mindgames/tactics at the tachi-ai (slaps, forearm shivers, that quick hand drop yesterday to get Takakeisho off-balance).

I think he knows his body/physical condition is no longer what it used to be and adjusted his style accordingly.

This makes me wonder though - will Hakuho decide to retire on his own with no prompting from the elders after the Olympics? I kinda don't want to see his career end like so many others have had - a losing record (with possible kyujo) then a retirement announcement. Call me idealistic, but a Jordan circa 1998 retirement would be the best way for him to go out.

Crazy to think about retirement when he just went 14-1 (with the one loss being a very uncharacteristic misstep, not getting beaten by a clearly superior opponent), and never even looked threatened in any of those wins.

I know he's getting old and has had injuries, but I'd like to see him go at least until he's not the favourite to win every tournament. Ideally it'd be after going 12-3 and winning in a playoff or something like that.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 25, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

fisting by many posted:

Crazy to think about retirement when he just went 14-1 (with the one loss being a very uncharacteristic misstep, not getting beaten by a clearly superior opponent), and never even looked threatened in any of those wins.

I know he's getting old and has had injuries, but I'd like to see him go at least until he's not the favourite to win every tournament. Ideally it'd be after going 12-3 and winning in a playoff or something like that.

TBH, even going something like 10-5 over a couple of basho is fine for me. I just don't want to see him visibly struggle to complete before retiring. I've seen too many pro athletes look like sad imitations of themselves before retiring, and I don't want to see it happen for the guy who's probably already the greatest rikishi of all time.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Tsaedje posted:

A winning record at komusubi is usually enough for a promotion to sekiwake if there's room. 4 komusubi this time round was unusual, but 3 sekiwake isn't abnormal when accommodating a demoted ozeki.

My guess would be

S1e Takayasu S1w Asanoyama
S2e Abi
K1e Mitakeumi K1w Tochinoshin

8-7 is unlikely to be enough for the panel to give Daieisho a third komusubi slot.

I don't think there is any way tochi only drops one spot after going kyujo for almost the entire tournament. Unfortunately they tend to be be very tough on that so he'll probably drop all the way to a M4-M6 if I had to guess.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

He is a pretty large guy.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I don't think there is any way tochi only drops one spot after going kyujo for almost the entire tournament. Unfortunately they tend to be be very tough on that so he'll probably drop all the way to a M4-M6 if I had to guess.

Yeah you're right, I had remembered incorrectly that when Kotoshogiku had a similar situation they only demoted him from sekiwake to komusube, but that was only a 7-8 loss.

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 25, 2019

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah you're right, I had remembered incorrectly that when Kotoshogiku had a similar situation they only demoted him from sekiwake to komusube, but that was only a 7-8 loss.

Fortunately for Tochinoshin, the upper maegashira fared pretty poorly this basho (Only 5 rikishi M1-M7 scored a kachikoshi, all of them on 8-7). So there should be space for him to make a soft landing, so to speak.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

i was very unimpressed with that quick hand drop, seems like a pretty dishonorable way to win. i'm still a sumo noob, but that seems to be against the spirit of sumo. you don't look at a performance like that and think "ah yes, and thats why hes the yokozuna". you think "welp. thats one way to win i guess"

hakuho's and his opponents had several mattas. i dont know what is typical, but it seemed like more than usual compared to the other matches. and i think its probably because he relies so much on shenanigans at the starting line instead of just playing it straight

on the other hand, you can't stay mad. just look at him on day 13. hakuho threw abi right out of the dohyo, clobbering the gyoji on the way. delightful! you love to see it

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Final results from Kyushu 2019:

code:
bessantj	50.5
Kenning		26.5
Martytoof	37
Scythe		54.5
Sivad		47
Congrats to Scythe for taking it during a very messy tournament. Also, apparently the last tournament that Kintamayama will be broadcasting! I'll miss his sharp commentary on each match quite a bit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Final results from Kyushu 2019:

code:
bessantj	50.5
Kenning		26.5
Martytoof	37
Scythe		54.5
Sivad		47
Congrats to Scythe for taking it during a very messy tournament. Also, apparently the last tournament that Kintamayama will be broadcasting! I'll miss his sharp commentary on each match quite a bit.

And I was off the pace. Looks like my decision to pick rikishi by how much I like saying their name isn't a winning strategy. Ah well, onto January. Well done Scythe.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Do you guys stay up late into the night and watch the live-streams of Japanese tv? Their news announcements are so drat cute to me. Also my big boy AOIYAMA.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i try but its on too late for me

i just watch the 20m highlight video on NHKs website the next day

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I watch that one YouTube guy (natto?) but if I had a stream I could maybe watch live for once...,....,........

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I have work so there’s no way I’m killing my sleep schedule just to watch. I do catch up with NattoSumo but when I was in Japan it was a hella fun thing to watch on tv in my Airbnb while recovering from my afternoon walking and planning my evening.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I just watch the NattoSumo replays. I could watch live, but there is a long time in between bouts and I only care about the action. I like that Natto shows all the replays, and all the mattas (and even the walk-up, before the biggest bouts) so you don't miss anything. I like Kintamayama's commentary but I feel that he cuts way too much, even the middle of bouts if they go on a long time. If two big dudes hug it out for a minute I want to see all the tension!

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

oystertoadfish posted:

I watch that one YouTube guy (natto?) but if I had a stream I could maybe watch live for once...,....,........

mbovosumo for English casters and Karla_Marxist for Japanese, both on Twitch every tournament

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

fisting by many posted:

I just watch the NattoSumo replays. I could watch live, but there is a long time in between bouts and I only care about the action. I like that Natto shows all the replays, and all the mattas (and even the walk-up, before the biggest bouts) so you don't miss anything. I like Kintamayama's commentary but I feel that he cuts way too much, even the middle of bouts if they go on a long time. If two big dudes hug it out for a minute I want to see all the tension!

I actually appreciate Kinta's editing because it makes it much easier to take in the day's sumo when I'm in the midst of a busy week if it's only like 15 minutes. I'd obviously prefer to have more time for sumo, but I always found his editing very thoughtful. That said, Natto is quite good, so it'll be fine.

Also, Terunofuji is back in juryo! His journey of recovery has been very inspiring, and I hope he can continue conditioning himself and make it back to the top division in a couple basho.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I much prefer the presentation and stats of Natto’s recaps, and the option of watching the replay is there. I find myself FF through the replay 9/10 times but overall I’m really happy with the package. Kinda did get me into non-NHK World Sumo so I’ll always be thankful to him for that :)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I watch either Natto or Kinta depending on my mood/time. I like Nattos presentation with the stats and stuff most of the time so I prefer that when possibly, but if I am in a rush or it’s a boring day with no cool matchups i’ll just hammer through Kinta.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
workin out with hakuho :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6mJ0Vhj9g

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That was a great vid even if I didn't understand it. It's amazing what those sumo can do with their bodies.

Like everyone I watch Natto and Kinta but sometimes I like to review bouts on Jason's all sumo channel.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guess who’s in Tokyo for the May basho again in 2020 :twisted:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Guess who’s in Tokyo for the May basho again in 2020 :twisted:

Hakuho?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

I would almost put money on him sitting out may in preparation for july

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1203366858822504454

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Going to be great to see his beautiful body carrying the eternal flame to the stadium.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

To bad its not AOIYAMA, his body is the best to carry the torch imo.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

New rankings are out:
http://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/index.php/

https://tachiai.org/2019/12/23/hatsu-banzuke-postmortem/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Enho ranked above Tochi. Who would have expected this a few months ago?

IMHO given the way Takayasu has fought recently I don't expect him to regain Ozeki, but instead flare up injury again. This is completely baseless and he may be back to form -- I'll hold out for final reports before next month but ehh. I'm not brimming with optimism.

Trying to plan my May trip so I can watch at least one day of Sumo, but looks like I'll be in Tokyo for the tail end of the tournament. Hopefully it's easier to get tickets than it was last time, seeing as how not BRAND NEW REIWA and DONARDU TOORUMPU.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've only been following sumo since the November 2016 basho but I feel like every rikishi I start to get really excited about ends up having an extremely short peak before injuries either take them out entirely or significantly dampen their career.

Maybe I just need to start rooting for more of the middle of the road guys like Endo so there are no highs or lows.

edit: Terunofuji is already back in juryo? I didn't think I'd ever see him again.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Hey I called it.

Ikioi and Kaisei are back, good luck to them.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Shiroc posted:

I've only been following sumo since the November 2016 basho but I feel like every rikishi I start to get really excited about ends up having an extremely short peak before injuries either take them out entirely or significantly dampen their career.

Maybe I just need to start rooting for more of the middle of the road guys like Endo so there are no highs or lows.

edit: Terunofuji is already back in juryo? I didn't think I'd ever see him again.

You should have started watching several years ago and jumped on Hakuho- even then I was already like four years too late, dude's insane

e- I got interested in sumo in mid-2013, six years into his reign as Yokozuna. Six years later he's still rolling

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i named my bigggest koi fish hakuho

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

i named my bigggest koi fish hakuho

Gagamaru might be more appropriate :v:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
I'm thinking of getting back into watching sumo again, to put into context I've not watched much at all since Chiyonofuji was still competing and Channel 4 was showing it in the UK.

What's the best way to go about it these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you’re comfortable with Japanese or just don’t care that it’s in Japanese, NattoSumo on YouTube does a daily recap of all bouts with great stats and all replays, cut right from the TV feeds. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ8v5JF3IyxLWOCGKpcP0g

If you need English running commentary then NHK World does a daily recap of all bouts at a fixed time with several re-runs. You can go right to their site I believe.