Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.facebook.com/BoycottRollingStoneMagazineForTheirLatestCover

Their idea for an alternative cover looks like it was made in about two minutes in photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

actionjackson posted:

Their idea for an alternative cover looks like it was made in about two minutes in photoshop

Photoshop? More like a default template in Microsoft Publisher 98.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fintilgin posted:

That is so immensely, confusingly stupid. Were the twin towers empty as well? If your shadow conspiracy is willing to murder thousands of people in the towers, why would you balk at murdering a couple hundred in the planes?

The people jumping from the towers were crisis actors. Duh.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Pardon my British ignorance but isn't the 'B' superimposed over the bombing aftermath a logo or something for the Red Sox? Is it reasonable to use outside of a baseball context or did they just lazily decide to throw that on too just because of the Boston connection?

Edit: In short would the 'B' just be like someone photoshopping the Yankees 'NY' over 9/11 pictures?

jalopybrown fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 17, 2013

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Petey posted:

You mean the same one with a long history of investigative reporting which recently took down one of the most powerful military leaders in the world in Stanley McChrystal right?

Maybe the article will be pointless fluff but I'm willing to give RS the benefit of the doubt and I am totally baffled by the near-universal negative reaction here.

Well we are getting a touch off topic here, and one can argue McChrystal's resignation had much more to do with a PC sensitivity and politics than with any truly just cause, but yah that hard hitting magazine that throws in a left wing freelance article every few years to keep that edge which can get a bit dulled when writing about Zac Efron's abs and the genius of Justin Bieber.

The current article is at best a fluff piece, at worst a glamorization of an evil dude and like minded nuts out there may want to get their own cover in the future.

J4Gently fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 17, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Petey posted:

Maybe the article will be pointless fluff but I'm willing to give RS the benefit of the doubt and I am totally baffled by the near-universal negative reaction here.

Actually, I'm happily surprised that the vengeance bandwagon isn't as full as I thought.

Fryhtaning posted:

this one undeservedly humanizes Jahar.

And the honesty is nice, too.

Medoken posted:

My problem is that it contributes to a wider narrative: young white kid driven to the edge. He's a victim of circumstances - there, but for the grace of god, go you or I.

Is that such a hard truth to accept?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Not only is that stencil cut-out of the flag ugly as hell, one of the deceased was a foreign student. Her picture is like, right next to that title.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

joat mon posted:

There's a bit of a difference between "anyone can decide to do terrible things" and "there but the grace of God go I". Jahar did what anyone could decide to do, but it was still his conscious decision, not purely a result of his circumstances as though anyone else in the same circumstances would do the same.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Earwicker posted:

There's a bit of a difference between "anyone can decide to do terrible things" and "there but the grace of God go I". Jahar did what anyone could decide to do, but it was still his conscious decision, not purely a result of his circumstances as though anyone else in the same circumstances would do the same.

This depends on whether you accept that free will exists or not. If free will or non-physical soul does not exist and it's all physics then indeed it's all about the circumstances.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Haha it's not only ugly but it has pretty much nothing to do with what the cover story actually is

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So Mayor Menino wrote a letter.

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2013/07/17/boston-mayor-tom-menino-letter-to-rolling-stone-2/

He also wrote a letter to Chick fil A when they came out against gay marriage.

Menino posted:

Dear Mr. Wenner,
Your August 3 cover rewards a terrorist with celebrity treatment. It is ill-conceived, at best, and re-affirms a terrible message that destruction gains fame for killers and their "causes". There may be valuable journalism behind your sensational treatment, though we can't know because almost all you released is the cover.
To respond to you in anger is to feed into your obvious marketing strategy. So, I write to you instead to put the focus where you could have: on the brave and strong survivors and on the thousands of people - their family and friends, volunteers, first responders, doctors, nurses, and donors - who have come to their side. Among those we lost, those who survived, and those who help carry them forward, there are artists and musicians and dancers and writers. They have dreams and plans. They struggle and strive. The survivors of the Boston attacks deserve Rolling Stone cover stories, though I no longer feel that Rolling Stone deserves them.
Sincerely,
Thomas. M. Menino
Mayor of Boston

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Apart from how hideously ugly the design of the alternative cover is, my main issue is that it just doesn't belong in that magazine. This is a magazine about rock music and related subjects (and some politics, I hear). The question whether this person is a rock star or something similar is justified and somewhat interesting, even if it's sensationalist and a little peripheral to the magazine's core themes.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Air Julio posted:

It just feels like getting angry for the sake of getting angry. I've yet to hear a really good argument against him being on the cover beyond weird authoritarian platitudes.

The reason why people are angry is because Rolling Stone is considered by most a music magazine and by putting him on the cover it makes him a "rock star" of sorts, it's kinda like picking up a copy of Ranger Rick and seeing Justin Timberlake on the cover. As for why Time and the New York times are not also called out on it's because considered by most as actual 'news' and thus have more reason to put on the cover. If the magazine marketed itself better as more than just music then we wouldn't be talking about it.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

flavor posted:

Apart from how hideously ugly the design of the alternative cover is, my main issue is that it just doesn't belong in that magazine. This is a magazine about rock music and related subjects (and some politics, I hear).

Have you ever actually read Rolling Stone magazine? It's had a strong focus on current social and political issues since its inception.

Medoken
Jul 2, 2006

I AM A FAGET FOR BOB SAGET

joat mon posted:

quote:

My problem is that it contributes to a wider narrative: young white kid driven to the edge. He's a victim of circumstances - there, but for the grace of god, go you or I.

You left out the rest of my post:

quote:

Rolling Stone can do whatever they want with their cover, but when they decide to play on unexamined racial privilege that raises my hackles.

The cover appeals to a sense of racial identity, because Jahar looks like my little brother or your little brother (a rhetorical you that refers to a white observer) he gets the full benefits of being white in America. A glamor shot on the cover of Rolling Stone with an unabashedly sympathetic headline. The magazine editors didn't decide to put up a picture of him in an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs. They didn't put up a picture of his victims. They chose a picture in line with a narrative that is clearly racial in nature.

Of course his story deserves to be told and there's a lot we can learn from this tragedy, but let's not knock each other over in trying to bring this wandering sheep back into the flock just because his skin color happens to be similar to the majority of Americans.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Lol there's absolute rage on reddit over the rolling Stone cover. It seems the issue is that jahar is too good looking. If he looked like bin Laden nobody would bat an eye.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nenonen posted:

This depends on whether you accept that free will exists or not. If free will or non-physical soul does not exist and it's all physics then indeed it's all about the circumstances.

So why are you even bothering to argue with people? If there is no free will as you claim, its all pointless.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 17, 2013

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
For those of you who think Rolling Stone is only for music, what do you think Hunter S. Thompson was writing for them?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

J4Gently posted:

Well we are getting a touch off topic here, and one can argue McChrystal's resignation had much more to do with a PC sensitivity and politics than with any truly just cause, but yah that hard hitting magazine that throws in a left wing freelance article every few years to keep that edge which can get a bit dulled when writing about Zac Efron's abs and the genius of Justin Bieber.

The current article is at best a fluff piece, at worst a glamorization of an evil dude and like minded nuts out there may want to get their own cover in the future.

Whoa hey now, it's Rolling Stone, not Tiger Beat. They don't generally give a poo poo about the poppier end of the spectrum to begin with, much less print reams on Biebermania. I'm pretty sure Matt Taibbi has had more column-inches than the album reviews for a while now.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

jalopybrown posted:

Pardon my British ignorance but isn't the 'B' superimposed over the bombing aftermath a logo or something for the Red Sox? Is it reasonable to use outside of a baseball context or did they just lazily decide to throw that on too just because of the Boston connection?

Edit: In short would the 'B' just be like someone photoshopping the Yankees 'NY' over 9/11 pictures?

Yeah, that's pretty much what it is. I love Boston, but poo poo like that is extremely tacky and tasteless.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Nenonen posted:

Yes but the illusion of free will exists even so so he still decided to do this despite having innumerable chances to stop.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Mayor Menino articulates the argument better than anyone I've seen or heard so far. I don't disagree, but I feel like RS is much more relevant now than they were yesterday, and that was the point. Participating in the outrage seems more rewarding to the magazine than just going on with my life giving RS the same amount of fucks as I did yesterday.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So why are you even bothering to argue with people? If there is no free will as you claim, its all pointless.

Well I can't prevent it, can I? Physical reality dictates that I write this message.

Not that arguing and moral codes and legislation and permabans and everything are pointless, though. We still have influence over each other, just like any animals influence each other. Just because someone accepts that there is no free will doesn't mean that he's going to run around town naked stabbing people and carrying a flowerpot in his rear end. He might, but it wouldn't be because of free will.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
If you're outraged about who a magazine puts on their cover, especially if you haven't actually read the article, you're pretty dumb.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Has anybody mentioned the other terrorist bombing of a marathon in this thread? The one that happened in Ireland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Lisburn_van_bombing

OK, it was only a half marathon but 6 people were killed, and they injured a 2 year old so it might just about add up. Boston also has a connection to that bombing. They paid for the bombs.

http://www.securitynewsdesk.com/2013/04/17/opinion-noraid-supporters-must-examine-their-consciences-over-ira/

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Nenonen posted:

Photoshop? More like a default template in Microsoft Publisher 98.

What annoys me more than how terrible this looks is the assertion that looking into Tsarnaev's past isn't an acceptable topic for a magazine that's well known for exactly this kind of political and social journalism. Sorry, RS, either run an issue of Boston Strong pieces or you're on the side of the terrorists.

I mean I can understand faulting them for releasing the cover early to generate buzz, but beyond that, calm the gently caress down, people.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 18, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Have you ever actually read Rolling Stone magazine? It's had a strong focus on current social and political issues since its inception.

I wonder what I might have meant when I said "(and some politics, I hear)". :iiam: Some people won't recognize subtlety if you hit them over the head with it.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
I mean it's cool if you haven't read Rolling Stone and have only heard distant rumor of its political stories but you probably shouldn't be commenting about what is and is not in the magazine's editorial wheelhouse.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

I guess Rolling Stone was supposed to photoshop a kufi and grimy beard on him to make him fit the American image of a terrorist.

This had been making the rounds on my Facebook feed, and it just speaks of the ignorance level in our society where people can be wound up in a frenzy over a picture with no context or critical thinking involved.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
Being 19 and in OK shape can make anyone pretty drat photogenic (with the exception of myself at 19. I was on good shape, just put together oddly.). Anyone coming out of a coma, having missed the bombing, could give this issue of Rolling Stone a cursory glance and think they're featuring another douchebag rockstar ("Great, 'The Bomber'...what's he do, rap?").
It is what it is; I wonder if he was bucktoothed and cross-eyed if they'd bother. Might not sell as well.

Subliminal Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 18, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I mean it's cool if you haven't read Rolling Stone and have only heard distant rumor of its political stories but you probably shouldn't be commenting about what is and is not in the magazine's editorial wheelhouse.

It's fascinating how you're just not getting it: I KNOW THEY WRITE ABOUT POLITICS. THIS IS OKAY. And it's still okay to comment on what I feel belongs in there. Note that I had said that the alternative cover doesn't belong in there (due to being ugly and its subject not being of interest). It's also okay to comment on what impression people may get from something, as others are doing.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'd rather they used a photo from his more hardcore "John Merrick" phase than his Tiger Beat years.

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Sean Archer posted:

I guess Rolling Stone was supposed to photoshop a kufi and grimy beard on him to make him fit the American image of a terrorist.

This had been making the rounds on my Facebook feed, and it just speaks of the ignorance level in our society where people can be wound up in a frenzy over a picture with no context or critical thinking involved.

Perhaps we can all think critically to mitigate our ignorance about the motives of the magazine and the potential pitfalls of sensationalizing news.

It isn't the subject of the article it is the medium.

It isn't what he looks like it is the image presented.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

jalopybrown posted:

I disagree that 24 hour rolling news going over every nuance of what happened and theorizing over reasons is comparable to a cover and article in Rolling Stone. Even if some whacko thinks that Jahar is a good example of making a statement then they probably already came to that conclusion from traditional news outlets in the immediate aftermath, I don't think RS is going to be the final push.

It doesn't have to be "the final push" to still contribute to the overall whole - that murdering innocent people is worthy of being put on magazine covers shared by rock stars and glamor celebs alike, blasting their face on 24/7 news with melodramatic animations and heavy music and "THE BOMBER," and all that jazz, which is what that Brooker video is commenting on. That's what has me furrowing my brow, personally.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
My problem isn't with them glamorizing him. I'm more concerned with how the families/victims of the bombings might feel if they were grocery shopping or something and saw his face on a news stand, front and center. Anyone who has experienced trauma knows what it is like to come face-to-face with a "trigger" and have the traumatic emotions associated with that event come flooding back to you. It's horrific.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Breaky posted:

So Mayor Menino wrote a letter.
That's a good letter.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
There's something deeply ironic about all of these people who couldn't stop typing BOSTON STRONG everywhere three months ago now being such delicate loving flowers that they can't handle a picture of White Hat on the cover of a goddamn magazine.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Captain Mog posted:

My problem isn't with them glamorizing him. I'm more concerned with how the families/victims of the bombings might feel if they were grocery shopping or something and saw his face on a news stand, front and center.

How is that specific to this Rolling Stone issue? His face has been featured prominently on plenty of publications on newstands before this, not to mention all over TV.

Plus there are way more families/victims of 9/11 and bin Laden's face is in even more publications.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Captain Mog posted:

My problem isn't with them glamorizing him. I'm more concerned with how the families/victims of the bombings might feel if they were grocery shopping or something and saw his face on a news stand, front and center. Anyone who has experienced trauma knows what it is like to come face-to-face with a "trigger" and have the traumatic emotions associated with that event come flooding back to you. It's horrific.

Sure, the trigger aspect is real and it loving sucks. And this may be your motivation. But it isn't the motivation for a lot of people, who seem to have this very intense idea that this is an inappropriate picture and/or an inappropriate publication, an idea which totally and completely baffles me.

Petey fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I actually read the article here. Still think he's a motherfucker who should die. However the article does humanize him I will admit that. And realistically portrays his journey from average student to terrorist. The lions share of the blame lies at his mother's feet though and I've always felt so from the beginning. Made blatant by her absolute refusal to take responsibility for her shithead kids probably because she's the one who hosed them up in the first place. If there's anyone on this earth I'd like to slap the teeth out of it's Zubeidat Tsarnaev even more so than her broken fuckin' crotch droppings. My lack of sympathy mainly comes from the fact that yes I understand his life was rough and made worse by his relationship with his extremist brother who had undiagnosed mental problems (thanks for that Zubeidat) however there are many people in this world suffering similarly who have never acted out in such a way. My mother and father came from broken homes and they never took it out on me or others. The fact he had a harsh upbringing does not excuse what he chose to do nor his final message in the boat "gently caress America" yeah well gently caress you too buddy, enjoy the system.

And to all the people upset about his pretty cover picture, bear in mind he's got a serious case of bloat face now. If his fangirls saw him now they'd probably deny that it's him.

• Locked thread