Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
given how lovely the modern current age is , im starting to wonder if a bnunch ofold physical analog things are infact better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eh, the horse has very much bolted with physical media, and in the age of social media it has never been easier for studios to get meaningful and useful feedback, if they actually care to and put in the slightest effort.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
On the one hand, ridiculous Trekkie arguments and rants on social media. On the other...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
All I can see is an amalgam of Comic Book Guy and Grandpa Simpson writing those.

"I am not a crank."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
IIRC, Spock's death was deliberately leaked by Roddenberry to try and create a fan backlash so he'd get control of the movies again and could finally make his 'Spock shoots JFK' idea made.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
Nice how they put in that fake out Spock death in the simulation right at the beginning, so people on edge would think "oh, that's it?" and breathe easy... for a while.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Tunicate posted:

I rememebr seeing an excerpt of some comic posted where superheros are at a bar, might have been misfits.

:spidey: I'm glad we saved the city, but cpuldn't you have told us about that power earlier?
:flashfact: Oh everyone had a couple useless powers they don't tell anyone about. Take Bob, here, he can make anyone tell the truth
:spidey: that doesn't sound that useless
:smith: they have to be having sex with me.

:spidey: ...how do you even find out you have that power
:flashfact: Oh man, best breakup story ever!

Super Stupor (Randy Milholland) from 2007. Wayback machine link b/c his side project sites have been broken for a while and he's kind-of busy with a Real Job, fatherhood, updating Something Positive (https://www.somethingpositive.net), and other issues:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220512180856/http://superstupor.com/sust11262007.shtml

Clear_Blue
May 29, 2007
Everybody wants to rule the world
My IIMM: money truck heists. In real life, do those trucks actually carry tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars?
In my country almost everyone pays with a debit card for amounts higher than :fivecbux: so it's hard to imagine stores needing to offload huge loads of cash money. I understand how cash is still king in rural USA, but in big cities (where money truck heist movies are always situated) I'd expect mostly non-cash transactions.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Generally there are more people in cities than rural areas. Even if 0.1% of the population are spending cash comparatively, that's still more cash by volume, and it's gotta go somewhere.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Clear_Blue posted:

My IIMM: money truck heists. In real life, do those trucks actually carry tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars?
In my country almost everyone pays with a debit card for amounts higher than :fivecbux: so it's hard to imagine stores needing to offload huge loads of cash money. I understand how cash is still king in rural USA, but in big cities (where money truck heist movies are always situated) I'd expect mostly non-cash transactions.

Banks are responsible for keeping cash in hand and that money moves around

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Why would a money truck be leaving the bank?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Clear_Blue posted:

Nowhere near as in the 60s/70s where it was routine to pay your staff in cash (c.f. Great Train Robbery) but:

Money trucks can carry precious metals and jewelery as well, banks have to move money from branch to branch (get each branch's money close to the desired branch amount in the desired denominations), the money to fill ATMs has to come from somewhere, large venues need to deposit cash ($10/beer is a fairly cheap NFL price) , etc; also of course if there is less cash total there are going to be fewer money trucks, but the value of a single money truck is going to be reasonably close to constant if the money truck company can help it.

They still happen - You can probably expect a movie in a little while about the LA $30m vault heist over Easter:
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-03/sylmar-burglary-money-storage-facility-30-million
There are some links in the story to other recent-ish heists.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I work in a poker room with two ATM's.

I feel confident thinking that the trucks who service them are carrying well into 5 figures, yes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i asked the buttcoin thread and never got an answer, but I kinda wonder how often buttcoin ATMs have pickup service for dollars deposited.

or if they can even output money back.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
My general IMM is story universes where some people have powers and others don't, and there's not really a satisfactory explanation as to why. In both Harry Potter and Avatar some people can potentially do magic and others can't, this is often a hereditary trait much like force sensitivity.

I prefer the logic in Onward, where in theory anyone can learn magic, but it takes a lot of time and dedication (though they ruined that by having one brother able to do magic and for plot reasons it couldn't be the grognard brother). In the Onward universe magic died out not for lack of potential but because technological alternatives were more practical. When training to be a doctor and administering antibiotics takes less time and work than learning cure spells you won't see a lot of shamans anymore.

But because the magic and the potential to learn it still exists that gives anyone a chance to be adept. I think the Willow universe works the same way, where I get the sense that self belief/faith plays a much more important part of magic than inherent traits- a Daikini that thinks magic is phony or just weird Elf nonsense is never going to be able to master it the way a true believer would. This also helps explain why in fantasy settings it's more common in cults, secret societies, or cultures 'outside' of contemporary civilization.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Weed is legal in a lot of states in the US but is still technically illegal federally so weed shops deal entirely in cash. I guarantee there is a lot of cash moving around in trucks on the west coast. Have there been heist movies about weed store stick ups?

e: Just remembered there's a weed store robbery scene in the movie You Hurt My Feelings lol

800peepee51doodoo has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Apr 15, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Weed is legal in a lot of states in the US but is still technically illegal federally so weed shops deal entirely in cash. I guarantee there is a lot of cash moving around in trucks on the west coast. Have there been heist movies about weed store stick ups?

e: Just remembered there's a weed store robbery scene in the movie You Hurt My Feelings lol

Dispensaries where I live were cash-only for a long time but no longer are.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Were I am live no one would be seen dead using something as gauche as plastic these days. It's all precious gems and gold bars for purchases. Gold being a bit heavy, obviously it's the servants that carries that.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

credburn posted:

Dispensaries where I live were cash-only for a long time but no longer are.

I may need to change where I'm going if that's the case because the one near my house still requires cash

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I may need to change where I'm going if that's the case because the one near my house still requires cash

They always have a fee to do it, though, so often you're better off just using their ATM and paying in cash, anyway. At least, around here (Oregon)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In La you can use your debit card but there's some small fee attached.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

At the San Diego ones I've been to they always have to use some jank rear end processing routine but the general gist is that for card purchases they round the price up to the nearest 5 and give you cash change. It's got something to do with banks, but I don't care to learn more, I'm buying edibles right then.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

theironjef posted:

At the San Diego ones I've been to they always have to use some jank rear end processing routine but the general gist is that for card purchases they round the price up to the nearest 5 and give you cash change. It's got something to do with banks, but I don't care to learn more, I'm buying edibles right then.
That's specifically because they're pretending to be an ATM

Clear_Blue
May 29, 2007
Everybody wants to rule the world
Thanks for the explanation guys. And in hindsight it's not surprising that money truck companies want to optimize efficiency, which means stuffing the trucks with as much money as possible.

It just seems like such an obvious target for criminals: big slow trucks loaded with loads of money and relatively low security measures.
Does anybody know if money truck content can be insured?

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Clear_Blue posted:

Does anybody know if money truck content can be insured?

Every transport company I found were clear that the items being transported were insured from the moment they take possession until the moment it's delivered.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do money trucks have like giant dye-packs mounted in the back to drench all the notes if they hit a button in the cab?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Lone Badger posted:

Do money trucks have like giant dye-packs mounted in the back to drench all the notes if they hit a button in the cab?
It could be useful like the way school fire alarms might pop dye when pulled, but are you under the impression the money is just stacked in the back like Walter White's stash?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FFT posted:

It could be useful like the way school fire alarms might pop dye when pulled, but are you under the impression the money is just stacked in the back like Walter White's stash?

lol, "stacked". It's just in there in a giant heap, like a mini-version of Scrooge McDuck's swimming pool/vault.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Avatar at least is an explicitly spiritualist fantasy universe, that even runs on more or less Buddhist reincarnation mechanics, and it's strongly implied Bending is a spiritual thing as much as anything else. At least in the original series, it can seem to run in families, but it can also pop up in non-bending families, and no one finds either particularly strange. (Although I think there is at least one case with the sword master Piando who mentions being disowned because he couldn't Firebend... and then proceeded to become one of the most formidable men in the world without it) One of those things where much like Star Wars, trying to explain it only really made the problems worse.

Clear_Blue posted:

Been answered before that sometimes it still happens, but does remind me how Payday 2 has at least a mention in the leadup to almost every heist the reason why a particular bank or other facility happens to be flush with cash or other assets the crew can make a quick buck from. From the smaller ones it's usually because they're temporarily holding a large amount of cash or gold that's being transferred, and one of the bigger one is a huge bank whose whole deal is never being successfully robbed. (til today!)

Comes up a lot in heist movies and movies with heists; there's at least a mention of the timing and the reasons for it. Even Sugar and Spice has the high school cheerleaders advised to, iirc, hold up a bank branch right after Christmas when they're loaded with cash, and in The Dark Knight they're robbing a mob bank which does not expect to be robbed. (And as part of a wider strategy to get the mobsters to transfer their money to a supposedly more secure location, that also gets it all in one place) It makes a lot of sense; you don't want to go through all the risk and time investment to end up with a paltry amount of cash, or bust open an armoured truck only to find it's empty because it dropped off all the money already. And dramatically it serves well to give the heist a limited time window of opportunity.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Now days I would think there would be plenty of banks that hold gently caress all money, as like why? Most people are using ATM's to withdraw if you really need cash, and their card/online banking/shopping for most other stuff. Would differ from bank to bank, but I'm betting there's plenty that would usually have a few thousand at most. I know there's a small local branch of the bank I use near me that has an atm out the front and a big sign inside saying "no money held on premise".

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Yeah, most smaller banks are only holding a few thousand on hand. Anyone trying to take out huge sums are going to have to go through a process even if they have it "in their account".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
writers (and maybe users posting right now) dont know about fractional reserve banking.

any way in this series of posts, a history of banking and finance ....

1/3245782987548

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Clear_Blue posted:

Not a money truck heist., but in Norway there was a robbery against a company that distributes cash to banks (they probably use trucks): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOKAS_robbery
It's worth noting that even though the amount of money they got away with was staggering they were no where close to getting all the money they were storing.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Clear_Blue posted:

Apparently a sheriff tried to steal over a million from just two trucks a couple years ago. They returned the money.

https://apnews.com/article/business-health-lawsuits-california-marijuana-ed1a1f766df895b22f43f41af5a7df19

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
My favorite real-life truck heist was the dude who saw a bucket of gold dust that the guards left sitting on the open truck and just took his shot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/nyregion/gold-flake-theft-robbery.html

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat wonder how heavy a bucket of gold dust or gold flakes would be.

also what the volume of the bucket is so we can get density.

e: read the article some more 86 pounds.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Gold is loving heavy. I remember that poo poo from reading Encyclopedia Brown.

I mean, maybe it's from seeing too many movies, but if I saw a pile of money somewhere, I am not going near that poo poo. It's cursed or it's a gang's or something.

In disney's Encanto, why is it such a huge thing that this one family/dude is going to marry into the Madrigals, so they need to make sure the dinner is 100% loving perfect! What dude would not want to marry into this loving magic family! No one knows how the grandma rules with an iron fist, everyone in the town just sees the magic. There would be lines of people wanting to get in that poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I found most annoying about Encanto is how they have a whole bit about how they don't actually need the magic and the entire plot was about how the various family members felt stifled by their powers. Then the end is everyone getting their powers back.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
In The Punisher (1989) Frank lives in a sewer. When he gets home from being stabbed in the chest, he cauterizes the wound with a bowie knife instead of stitching it up. He has unlimited access to sewer guns and ammo, but not a sewer first-aid kit?

Also, I'm boycotting the Fallout TV show because the plot should have been entirely based on the unused entries in the Wasteland paragraph book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DoomLazer posted:

In The Punisher (1989) Frank lives in a sewer. When he gets home from being stabbed in the chest, he cauterizes the wound with a bowie knife instead of stitching it up. He has unlimited access to sewer guns and ammo, but not a sewer first-aid kit?

It's hard to understate how important it is that it was the 80's. Action hero machismo expectations were beyond parody.