Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

muscles like this! posted:

There was that thing from the last Mission Impossible movie with the recording of him blowing up on set but it was about crew not following proper masking procedures and he didn't want anyone to get sick because delays cost his production company :20bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

There was that thing from the last Mission Impossible movie with the recording of him blowing up on set but it was about crew not following proper masking procedures and he didn't want anyone to get evil aliens invading their body

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The evil aliens are ALREADY in your body. God does no one even know how Xenu operates any more

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Rewatching the first of the Planet of the Apes reboots/prequels (?) , and it has a trope in it I see so often in TV and movies I don't understand.

The person who works in some sort of animal-adjacent facility (animal control, animal research, zoo, sanctuary, sometimes even just a vets office,) who absolutely despises animals. So why do you have that job?! I mean, I guess some have it because they're sadists who enjoy hurting animals, but it generally seems more like the person is just annoyed that animals exist at they're job that involves animals.

And related to Rise of the Planet of the Apes...does the magic monkey gas also make apes immune to broken glass? They smash through a lot of windows with seemingly no injuries.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
At the risk of sounding like a Tom Cruise defender, that audio very definitely sounded like he was taking the pandemic incredibly seriously, and absolutely did not want the reputation of having his crew set a bad example. I'm sure the financial angle was on his mind too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fil5000 posted:

Seems like every actor that does VO has at least one of those knocking around. The Tom Baker one is a classic

Apparently Orson Welles, in the later part of his acting career, used to turn up on set and say 'surely you aren't going to place the camera there' to the director.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Torquemada posted:

At the risk of sounding like a Tom Cruise defender, that audio very definitely sounded like he was taking the pandemic incredibly seriously, and absolutely did not want the reputation of having his crew set a bad example. I'm sure the financial angle was on his mind too.

Yeah it sounded totally fine to me. He got mad but he wasn't wrong.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Torquemada posted:

Apparently Orson Welles, in the later part of his acting career, used to turn up on set and say 'surely you aren't going to place the camera there' to the director.

I can't imagine being in charge of a set and having to deal with Orson loving Welles telling me I'm doing it wrong. And probably calling me "dear boy".

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Same, but Marlon Brando

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I can't remember who it was, but I remember the one story about the actor who WAS being difficult until the Director put his foot down and he was like "Fair enough, I'll take your instructions" because he was impressed that the director clearly had a strong command of the set.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I was listening to the Smartless podcast and they had Ben Affleck on and he was talking about the difficulty of directing other directors. Specifically a scene setup where Jason Bateman and Matt Damon were like 'I thought when I say this I'd stand over here because that way you'd get the light, you want the light right?' and Affleck would be like 'motherfucker I'm DIRECTING the MOVIE'

It was cute

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
After years of people coming up with any excuse to not take COVID precautions seriously, I can not get worked up about someone taking COVID seriously for possibly not ideal reasons.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's that classic leaked audio of him doing a voice over session where the director tried to correct him about something and Shat's like "well how would you say it." The director kinda nervously reads it and Shatner then does his take making fun of the way the director read it. Like the equivalent of going "iN jUlY pEaS gRoW tHeRe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JA9CeMXwno

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yeah I mean the peas part was from Welles' famous tape, I couldn't remember what Shatner was supposed to be talking about so I used that.

That particular Pinky and the Brain skit grew out of LaMarche using it as his warm up when he had to do Welles' voice.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I watched the latest Planet of the Apes movie and not once in over two hours did any chimpanzees fling their poo poo.

I used to think the first movie was far-fetched because the virus only spread due to every human character being a complete moron. Post Covid, it's quite accurate.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:27 on May 18, 2024

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Rewatching the first of the Planet of the Apes reboots/prequels (?) , and it has a trope in it I see so often in TV and movies I don't understand.

The person who works in some sort of animal-adjacent facility (animal control, animal research, zoo, sanctuary, sometimes even just a vets office,) who absolutely despises animals. So why do you have that job?! I mean, I guess some have it because they're sadists who enjoy hurting animals, but it generally seems more like the person is just annoyed that animals exist at they're job that involves animals.

Maybe this is an American thing? At least where I live, you don't work in any of the fields named above unless you really really want to, because they are fairly specific and demand certain training. It's not, like, working with the disabled where turnover is high so you kind of accept anybody who needs the money. This is my personal rational irritating reality moment, that working with animals is more popular than working with the disabled.

Anyway, the USA are a worker's hell so I have no problem imagining someone who absolutely hates animals gets hired to work in a zoo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe this is an American thing? At least where I live, you don't work in any of the fields named above unless you really really want to, because they are fairly specific and demand certain training. It's not, like, working with the disabled where turnover is high so you kind of accept anybody who needs the money. This is my personal rational irritating reality moment, that working with animals is more popular than working with the disabled.

Anyway, the USA are a worker's hell so I have no problem imagining someone who absolutely hates animals gets hired to work in a zoo.

TBF I don't think many disabled people would appreciate it if I started to rub their belly and scratch their neck without warning

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Improbable Lobster posted:

TBF I don't think many disabled people would appreciate it if I started to rub their belly and scratch their neck without warning

While I wouldn't wanna encourage that kind of behavior, I'd still say they'd be mostly surprised at that level of attention or affection.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Torquemada posted:

Yeah, I think the only time yelling on set, or in workplaces in general, is remotely acceptable is if it's about people loving around with safety stuff that could get people hurt.

I mean angry yelling, not like yelling out hello cos someone is super far away, and you want to say hi or something, obviously.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i worked at a zoo for a few years, so grains of salt: the pay is poo poo, the hours are bad, and people think you play with animals all day. 99% of it is cleaning. lots of zoos have a huge volunteer staff to make poo poo go more smoothly for the public and paid employees.

IIMM: i hated Prometheus because of the whole "take our helmets off!" and Covenant because of "let's loving touch everything and touch our faces!" but after Covid....yeah. It's more surprising they even had the idea of quarantine in Alien at all.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

In Rise, that character is the son of the center's owner, right? I assumed he was a loser who couldn't get a good job so his dad gave him a nepo position. The kid doesn't enjoy it but he's getting paid for minimal work and isn't likely to get fired.

I could imagine someone like that growing to hate the animals, seeing them as filthy and smelly and stupid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

i worked at a zoo for a few years, so grains of salt: the pay is poo poo, the hours are bad, and people think you play with animals all day. 99% of it is cleaning. lots of zoos have a huge volunteer staff to make poo poo go more smoothly for the public and paid employees.

I think you mighta been the one to say elsewhere it also involves getting covered in large amounts of all kinds of exotic poo poo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

One of a Kind posted:

In Rise, that character is the son of the center's owner, right? I assumed he was a loser who couldn't get a good job so his dad gave him a nepo position. The kid doesn't enjoy it but he's getting paid for minimal work and isn't likely to get fired.

I could imagine someone like that growing to hate the animals, seeing them as filthy and smelly and stupid.

Prison guards famously hate prisoners.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think you mighta been the one to say elsewhere it also involves getting covered in large amounts of all kinds of exotic poo poo.

possibly. I also worked in a pet store for a few years and I would much rather shovel zoo animal poo poo than clean up after people's dogs ever again. If you find worms in stool at a zoo, most of the time, the zookeepers will be surprised and will actually get medical attention for the animal as opposed to the usual pet store dog walker.

also, most zoo employees don't put a leash on animals in estrus and walk them around as well. That was a very interesting dog training class. I watched where the most well-behaved dogs suddenly went into a frenzy and the lady walking around her openly bleeding female dog was amazed that we ordered her out of the store.

iimm: I have to admit, I haven't seen the latest two or three planet of the apes movies, but it always annoys the hell out of me how they wave away how many of those animals really exist in research Labs. If I remember right, in the original book there was something about a plague that had wiped out cats and dogs and so people started breeding primates to have as pets instead. because I'm sorry, even if every single human dropped dead today, or we lost 90% of the population, there's not enough gorillas, orangutans, and chimpanzees to actually take over the world within a matter of a few months to a year or two.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Henchman of Santa posted:

Season 3 definitely escalates things. It is a self-aware stupid and campy show, there is always room for more.

I honestly don’t know if I agree with this, having just finished S3. It had a ton of potential but nothing quite came close to the dizzying mania of the end of Season 2. I really liked the finale, even if my current favorite character got killed off, but I had a lot of little problems with the whole season.

First of all, more than any earlier season, they keep writing themselves into corners they don’t seem to know how to get back out of. The whole biotracking and GPS-enabled magic rings that everyone wears were brought up as a plot point exactly once, even though it would have been a relevant concern pretty much throughout the season. The whole subplot with Gil left a really bad taste in my mouth because the whole premise of the show is “these are bad people doing awful things for delusional, psychotic reasons” - targeting an unapologetic anti-vaxxer who almost killed your newborn with measles feels kind of gross and almost indulgent in the context of the rest of the show. Love’s whole romance with Theo was both gross as hell and didn’t seem very convincing - Theo is just gratingly annoying in every scene he’s in and Love has soooo many reasons not to get involved with him, and still does. Theo’s dad going full Serial Experiments Lain is a season-long arc that goes precisely nowhere, too - with all his camera footage access and knowledge of where Natalie was last seen alive - even questioning the car “she” drove away - he never bothered to check another angle to see someone loading the car? Something that took Theo all of five minutes to do? And this is a really minor thing but in the last half of the season I swear any time Joe talks about Dante (who is blind) he’s asking him to “watch” his kid or “see” someone, to the point where it stood out.

Another thing that really bugged me is that this whole season was basically the Love Fucks Everything Up show. Joe breaks into Marienne’s apartment at one point, but that’s honesty pretty much the only insane stalker poo poo he does the whole season until he finally snaps and kills Ryan. The rest of the time he’s just cleaning up bodies and running interference for Love, who just cannot loving leave well enough alone. I mean I know she’s exactly as psychotic as he is, but I feel like the fact that she successfully hid it from him for so long in season 2 means she probably shouldn’t be shouting about how she killed the neighbor when they have company over. She got done dirty by the writers.

The polyamory episode is one of the funniest pieces of television I’ve seen in a long time, though, Jesus Christ.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It is a whole thing in the new planet of the apes movies that a retrovirus spread worldwide that killed the majority of humanity while also uplifting most primates to sentience. I'm pretty sure that the ape population starting relatively small from zoo and lab animals is kind of a plot point as they're in conflict with surviving humans.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I didn't think it was possible and you're all probably getting sick of it, but I have yet another complaint about subtitles!

Netflix just added One Punch Man in my country with an announcement that season 2 is coming. Cool! I thought, it's been long enough that I saw it that I'll enjoy a rewatch.

Except the only options available are the original Japanese, German dubs or German subs, which kinda blows because know neither.

What the gently caress Netflix?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

You s4e1 sure has a hell of a setup. :allears:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Rockman Reserve posted:

You s4e1 sure has a hell of a setup. :allears:

I love the way they randomly decided to turn the show into a British cozy mystery. Sure, why not. Please keep posting your You impressions

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023

Taeke posted:

I didn't think it was possible and you're all probably getting sick of it, but I have yet another complaint about subtitles!

Netflix just added One Punch Man in my country with an announcement that season 2 is coming. Cool! I thought, it's been long enough that I saw it that I'll enjoy a rewatch.

Except the only options available are the original Japanese, German dubs or German subs, which kinda blows because know neither.

What the gently caress Netflix?

iirc they did the same thing with Samurai Champloo when it came to NetflixNL: the options were original Japanese with French subtitles, or the French dub.

Here's another complaint about subtitles: the Berserk movies had subtitles made by someone who made no effort to translate the formal phrasing. In Japanese, the character was clearly using the most polite form of speech to suck up to the king, then the Dutch subtitles had him tutoyer the king like he was any random rear end in a top hat.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, the Samurai Champloo thing really bummed me out too. Yobho, yo ho and a bottle of rum was the result of that, fuckers.

It's also super annoying when youre watching with subs and they were obviously based on a different dub than you've got on. So you're watching with Dutch subs with the original Japanese audio but the subs are based on the English dub, which happens often with anime and cartoons because they sometimes add or remove lines when the character's mouth isn't on screen.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 20:32 on May 21, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Commander Data doesn't understand comedy, so he asks Holodeck Joe Piscopo to explain it to him. Which means giving a computer program a sense of humor is already a solved problem.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Taeke posted:

Yeah, the Samurai Champloo thing really bummed me out too. Yobho, yo ho and a bottle of rum was the result of that, fuckers.

It's also super annoying when youre watching with subs and they were obviously based on a different dub than you've got on. So you're watching with Dutch subs with the original Japanese audio but the subs are based on the English dub, which happens often with anime and cartoons because they sometimes add or remove lines when the character's mouth isn't on screen.

Good news, they do that in English too. The entire transcription and dub industry has just given up in the last 5 years. It's not like it's getting it wrong because it voice recognition, it's getting it wrong in weird ways.

I'm going to use a music video as an example because it is easy to find an unambiguous copy of the text.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmd-ClpJxA

First line: "I don't like your little games". Transcription: "I don't like your petty tactics".
Similar meaning, but a really weird substitution. I've seen a similar error in a ton of movie subtitles.

Stanza:
But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time
Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time
I got a list of names, and yours is in red, underlined
I check it once, then I check it twice, oh!

Transcription:
I've gotten smarter. I've gotten stronger in the nick of time.
Honey, I'm dead. You've come back to life. You'll always come back again and again.
In the list I have, your name is underlined in red.
First, check it once, then check it again.

Some of the "I" things have been changed to "you" for no apparent reason. It's not a similar substitution like the first example, it actively garbles the meaning.

Worst bit:
Ooh, look what you made me do
Look what you made me do
Look what you just made me do
Look what you just made me...
Ooh, look what you made me do
Look what you made me do

Okay transcriptionist, all you have to do is repeat one line 8 times. What have you got?
Oh, you can't make me do this.
You can't make me do this.
Oh, what a terrible thing you made me do.
You made me do this.
Oh, you made me do this.
You made me do this.
What a terrible thing did you do?
You must be the one who made me do this.

It's both awful and somehow much more work than an accurate transcription. I can't think of any excuse for the "look what you made me do" chorus. If someone transcribed the the video in another language and then translated that to English that wouldn't turn 8 identical lines into different lines. If someone was trying to transcribe super fast so only listened to the source once and just tried to remember the gist of it that still wouldn't explain it.

poo poo's weird.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Nameless Pete posted:

Commander Data doesn't understand comedy, so he asks Holodeck Joe Piscopo to explain it to him. Which means giving a computer program a sense of humor is already a solved problem.

Data is autism coded. So is Worf, but a different kind of autism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

Data and Worf have a surprising amount in common come to think of it. Especially given both of them basically are unique specimens trying to live up to standards they barely even understand. And I think they are shown to be friends of a sort. The whole scene coming to mind of when Data has to take charge and has a Conversation with Worf about authority, and Worf realises he'd gone too far without realising and is deeply sorrowful about it, even sounds a lot like a couple of autistic people coming to terms after an argument and reconciling with a better understanding of their communication styles.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Baron von Eevl posted:

Data is a foamer, Worf is a weeb.

I will not be taking questions

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Data is a foamer, Worf is a weeb.

I will not be taking questions

Is "what the gently caress is a foamer?" included in that?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

FreudianSlippers posted:

Did spending a few decades as a colony of the US really have more of a linguistic impact than spending 300 years as a Spanish colony?

Spain's linguistic impact on the Philippines is less that they can speak fluent Spanish and more that the Philippine national language is like 50% Spanish loan words.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Man I really hate it when guns and bullets are treated as just like, trading a few jabs in a joust.

No, rear end in a top hat, bullets kill, guns kill, each shot fired with a gun should be meant to kill. I hate when I see an "exciting" gun fight and the expectation is that nobody will exit killed, or wounded, or if they're wounded it's in that weird area of the shoulder that heals immediately in movies and there's no real consequences, nobody dies, and nobody really expected to die. Give me a fuckin break

edit: Unless it's stylized to be that way.

edit 2: I'm just annoyed because I'm watching Sons of Anarchy and gunshots are treated with the same level of concern and awareness and consequence as a punch to the face and it's so fuckin dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A bullet is a kind of punch though