Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Enelrahc posted:

Would probably be best to replace with a high sided rubbermaid that they have to jump into - like one of these with the lid off. Girl cats do tend to pee over the edges of the normal ones.

Seconding this. My cat pees over the edge of any box except his Rubbermaid tub. I'd rather clean the box periodically than try to get cat pee out of the walls. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aelia
May 13, 2008

Serella posted:

Seconding this. My cat pees over the edge of any box except his Rubbermaid tub. I'd rather clean the box periodically than try to get cat pee out of the walls. :gonk:

New perspective on the annoyance of box-cleaning.

I actually use the lids of their rubbermaid boxes as wall-protectors.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

That would be great if I had a place to put it. My apartment is kind of small and the under-the-table cat house was working great. Right now I've just got the cat box sitting open on a larger plastic tray and I'll see how that goes for now. My parents suggested the same thing as HPL so I'll see if I can manage that this weekend.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

These are some good suggestions, as (probably not coincidentally) I have the same problem sometimes. Similarly, my girl-cat *always* pees right up against the wall of her litter-box, and refuses to pee in, like, the center or something like that. Up till now I've used a rubber mat but it hasn't worked so well, to be honest, because it's flat and sometimes the pee just runs off that.

I think what I need is a rubber mat with, like... sides to it, you know? Like a raised ridge maybe half an inch high that goes all the way around the perimeter. Wonder if something like that exists.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kaworu posted:

These are some good suggestions, as (probably not coincidentally) I have the same problem sometimes. Similarly, my girl-cat *always* pees right up against the wall of her litter-box, and refuses to pee in, like, the center or something like that. Up till now I've used a rubber mat but it hasn't worked so well, to be honest, because it's flat and sometimes the pee just runs off that.

I think what I need is a rubber mat with, like... sides to it, you know? Like a raised ridge maybe half an inch high that goes all the way around the perimeter. Wonder if something like that exists.

Yeah, shoe mats. Lemme see if I can find a real name for them.

"Shoe tray" or "boot tray" seems to be what you look for, like this sucker. A lot of them are plastic, not rubber, so I'd shop for them in real life if I were you. You'd need kind of a big one but I think it'd work. Beware the collected pee in it, though :( There is also this thing, which is apparently basically a yoga mat with a rim specially designed to hold your kitty crumbles.

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!

Lipumira posted:

I may kill my cats if they don't electrocute themselves first. Yep, I have chewers.

I have tried sticky tape, bitterent, spray bottles, compressed air. So far the electronic body count is 2 iphone charging cords, a set of headphones, the power cord for my wifi router, the cord from my comcast modem, a speaker wire and some cord that did something for the HDMI router remote.

You can see how this might be a problem.

So.. help! I am going to try wrapping my *1* remaining charger cord in tin foil tonight (since there were bitey marks already) and I've bought some conduit to hide things like the speaker wires. But honestly, this is killing me! And I'm worried it's going to kill them.

Anyone have any magic words of success?

Apple bitter spray all over the cords. We have a cat in our house that will chew through any cables and they all have to be coated with this stuff. I don't know the exact brand we use, but I can get it when I go home tonight.

Also make sure they have enough toys and things to do. Our one cat that chews is less destructive now that he has a buddy and is entertained.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I am looking into getting a cat after a few months in my new apartment, possibly in January of next year. My biggest concern right now is financial resources. I'm not sure how much I am looking at as far as "start up" costs are concerned with getting a new cat beyond adoption fees/food/litter box stuff. I don't want to try to adopt a cat only to end up having to take him/her back to the shelter/rescue because I've run out of money trying to pay for routine things. I will be adopting an adult cat because they are less likely to be adopted, are awesome, and kittens are assholes. What sort of miscellaneous expenses should I plan for, and why do I feel like this is exactly like panning for a baby? :psyduck:

EDIT: Grammar.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
How poor are you? If you're barely getting by, you might find the extra expenses difficult but otherwise it's not too bad. Food is the biggest regular expense, then litter. Vet bills for shots and maintenance are another thing.

As far as start-up goes, you'll need a litter box, litter scoop, litter, food, and a few toys (even cheap ones are good or you can make your own). I don't know what prices are like in your area so you'll have to do your own research.

Basically as long as you can provide a loving environment with the attention the cat needs, that cat will be very well off.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Clanpot Shake posted:

I had my cats' litter box in a cat-house thing underneath a table. This thing, actually. I just pulled it out to clean the litter they kick through the box and found a giant spot of water damage.

I've got hard wood floors, and it looks like they'd been peeing against the side of the box and it was spilling out over the side onto the floor (they're girl cats so I don't even know). What can I do about this? It looks like they've been at this for a good while. I clean the box every day, but it's been maybe 4 months since I cleaned around the box. What are my options here?

Could you line the sides of it so that any splash is kept inside and might run back into the litter tray?

If the litter box fits snugly in the bottom of it you could use a stiff plastic to line the walls stopping on top the tray.

If its not snug, some cut up industrial plastic bags and tape might work. Tape the around the top and sides and funnel the bottom into the tray. Should be fairly easy to change as well.

There might also be a perfect rubbermade container out there that fits the box and the litter tray you could just cut up a bit to fit. This might need some searching.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GabrielAisling posted:

I am looking into getting a cat after a few months in my new apartment, possibly in January of next year. My biggest concern right now is financial resources. I'm not sure how much I am looking at as far as "start up" costs are concerned with getting a new cat beyond adoption fees/food/litter box stuff. I don't want to try to adopt a cat only to end up having to take him/her back to the shelter/rescue because I've run out of money trying to pay for routine things. I will be adopting an adult cat because they are less likely to be adopted, are awesome, and kittens are assholes. What sort of miscellaneous expenses should I plan for, and why do I feel like this is exactly like panning for a baby? :psyduck:

EDIT: Grammar.
Off the top of my head, a "mostly required" list of cat crap:
  • Initial adoption fee and initial shots
  • Followup shots (probably yearly at first)
  • Non-poo poo cat food (tl;dr: get blue buffalo probably)
  • Food and water bowls (suggest metal or porcelain, avoid plastic, your own bowls may be fine)
  • 1-2 litterboxes
  • Kitty litter (probably World's Best)
  • A variety of toys (don't go overboard)
  • Visit to dee-eight's thread
  • Scratching mats and/or scratching post (solid budget choice: get a cardboard scratcher)
  • Nail scissors (relax, they're cheap)
  • Brush (recommend a Furminator or a similar clone since the normal ones are expensive)
  • Enzymatic cleaning solution and paper towels
  • A few lint rollers(the sticky ones, not the one-way brush ones)
  • Try to sock $200-400 for emergency use (or just to save money you financially irresponsible goon)
From the list, the only real recurring cost is food and cat litter, and the other stuff isn't that expensive either and can be gotten over time.

E: For litterbox in a cabinet goon; can't you just shove a covered litterbox in there? It seems like that'd solve your problems without having to do all this weird DIY plastic bag/tub renovation of your cat cubby.

E2: Good point on the microchip; I live in an apartment building and am lucky enough that my cats aren't runners so collars aren't necessary for me, but I do agree that collar+tags can be helpful if your cat decides to bolt for the door when you open it.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 9, 2012

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Don't forget collar, tags, and microchip (if not included in the original adoption fee).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Age; 2 and ~10
Sex; Both male
How long have you had your cat? 2 years and 4ish months, respectively
Is your cat spayed or neutered? yes for both
What food do you use? all wet, mostly whatever is cheap but seems to have the least filler. i'm poor.
When was your last vet visit? a few months ago
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? one indoors, on indoors with short forays outside
How many pets in your household? just the two cats

We adopted a second, older cat a few months ago. He acclimated to our house very quickly - he slept with us the first night he was here. He and our original cat get along well, mostly: after the first few days there were no signs of real aggression, they often both sleep with us, they sniff and very occasionally clean each other. They do wrestle fairly often, and I need to get their claws trimmed because they both have some scratches, but there's no hissing, puffing, growling, or anything like that. They have a system for sharing food, they both have litter boxes (though they share them as far as I can tell at random), and they sometimes bounce a ball or other toy back and forth between themselves. All in all it seems to have gone very well.

A few weeks ago, however, our new cat started to spray. He's not "peeing", he still uses his box, no problems there. He squares up to the wall, shivers his back muscles, and sprays. He does this almost exclusively in our bedroom, in one of four spots. Sometimes he will spray in the kitchen and once or twice he's done it other places, but the bedroom is the main spot. He often does it when my wife and I are standing nearby.

I clean the spots thoroughly, using enzymatic cleaner. When I see him starting to spray, I make a loud noise to scare him off. The house is a rental, so this is a serious problem beyond being annoying, and I'm about to head off on a months long trip to China and my wife is severely grossed out by cleaning up after him. Is there anything else I should be doing? We love the cat in every other way, and I don't want to have to take him to a rescue shelter, but we really can't keep him here if this continues.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

DeimosRising posted:

A few weeks ago, however, our new cat started to spray. He's not "peeing", he still uses his box, no problems there. He squares up to the wall, shivers his back muscles, and sprays. He does this almost exclusively in our bedroom, in one of four spots. Sometimes he will spray in the kitchen and once or twice he's done it other places, but the bedroom is the main spot. He often does it when my wife and I are standing nearby.

This might sound weird, but do you know he's neutered? I ask because a friend of mine was having problems with her cat going into heat regularly, despite being spayed - a quick visit to the vet and it was confirmed that upon examination, she had all the scars of being spayed but was not actually spayed. Some kind of weird oversight.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

vonnegutt posted:

This might sound weird, but do you know he's neutered? I ask because a friend of mine was having problems with her cat going into heat regularly, despite being spayed - a quick visit to the vet and it was confirmed that upon examination, she had all the scars of being spayed but was not actually spayed. Some kind of weird oversight.

:stare: well...I have some medical papers that say he is. I haven't, like, felt up his nuts or anything. I suppose I could take him to the vet and have them check.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How often should indoor-only cats go to the vet? Do they need check ups? Ours are fine but I'm interested in finding out more and the FAQ didn't seem to cover it. I moved in with a cat owner.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

redreader posted:

How often should indoor-only cats go to the vet? Do they need check ups? Ours are fine but I'm interested in finding out more and the FAQ didn't seem to cover it. I moved in with a cat owner.
Yearly(particularly for newly-adopted cats), and yes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DeimosRising posted:

:stare: well...I have some medical papers that say he is. I haven't, like, felt up his nuts or anything. I suppose I could take him to the vet and have them check.

Also if he does it when you are around he might be having pain during urination and trying to get your attention. Our boy cat alerted us to a UTI by 1) meowing VERY SADLY AND LOUDLY so that we were paying attention, and 2) peeing on my backpack (which fortunately, did not have my laptop in it). He had never done this before, nor has he done it since.

vonnegutt posted:

Also weirdly spays don't always take, so it could have been that as well (cats will still go into heat).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
For some reason, whenever I have exactly one person over, my big cat likes to pounce on my little cat until the little one screams bloody murder (no blood, but the occasional tuft of fur removed). Showing off dominance for the new person? If I have 2+ people over, the two cats just hang out on the fringes of the room and watch us do People Things.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My wife ordered some cat foods (wet, in cans) online, the cans sat in the UPS van all day on a hot 90 degree day and were very warm to the touch when we received them - should we return them or is the food fine for our cat with kidney issues to eat?

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Ether Frenzy posted:

My wife ordered some cat foods (wet, in cans) online, the cans sat in the UPS van all day on a hot 90 degree day and were very warm to the touch when we received them - should we return them or is the food fine for our cat with kidney issues to eat?

I would think the food would still be safe (as it is heated when they can it), so long as you aren't seeing any bulging on the cans. Canned food for people and animals alike assuredly ends up in un-airconditioned trucks on the way to the store all of the time and we just never think about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my father has become the crazy cat man and has 4 cats in his home now. He was always a dog person growing up so this is really odd to me. Anyways, one of them is very young compared to the others and he was always pouncing on them and he might have hurt his older cat so he calls me up and then this happens.

Meet Happy. He's the most loving cat I've ever seen and he's already meshing with out other two cats very well.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So! I moved into a new house and there's a neighborhood cat around.

She is in perfect health, looks like someone takes good care of her, very friendly and hops up on the porch to beg scritches and nuzzle my ankles like they are Hers. She has no collar though.

She's also probably pregnant, given that she is incredibly rotund in a non-food way (my male cat is fat and has the flopsy belly thing goin on, she carries the weight much higher up, doesn't have much in the way of flop and feels firmer) and looks like she's ready to pop. Should I be asking around to make sure that someone actually owns her and is prepared to deal with the inevitable kittens? I would hope she is a scannable cat but you never know in this backwards town. I don't quite feel comfortable just up and stuffing her in a carrier to drive her to our vet.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Stew Man Chew posted:

So! I moved into a new house and there's a neighborhood cat around.

She is in perfect health, looks like someone takes good care of her, very friendly and hops up on the porch to beg scritches and nuzzle my ankles like they are Hers. She has no collar though.

She's also probably pregnant, given that she is incredibly rotund in a non-food way (my male cat is fat and has the flopsy belly thing goin on, she carries the weight much higher up, doesn't have much in the way of flop and feels firmer) and looks like she's ready to pop. Should I be asking around to make sure that someone actually owns her and is prepared to deal with the inevitable kittens? I would hope she is a scannable cat but you never know in this backwards town. I don't quite feel comfortable just up and stuffing her in a carrier to drive her to our vet.

Put a collar with a note on her. "Can the owner/caretaker of this cat please call me at 555-5555" or something like that.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I posted some time ago looking for help with a meow-y 2 year old orange fat cat.

We sort of solved his constant meow problem, kind of, (he still expects to be fed at odd hours of the day and will annoy us around dinner time), but I'm looking for more generalized advice. Simply put, and no offense meant, I think he's developmentally retarded.

He seems pretty inbred - he's rather polydactl - and he's still a hellraising kitten at age two. In fact, he's more of an rear end in a top hat than he was at six months. He also gets paralyzingly nervous when he's outside the apartment for any reason (the most he'll move is he'll slink over at low speed to cuddle up and start crying). He's not bright, if I'm playing with him and play-threatening him and have cornered him, more often than not he'll just give up and stop moving and look scared.

The lady loves the cat, gods help her, but we're sick of a bunch of little things - he's a jerk, we can't take him anywhere, he thinks that any food on the counter is his and we have to watch him constantly to make sure he doesn't nibble into our dinner while it cools, etc. Essentially, the cat is a feline manchild, neckbearded and unwilling to leave his mother's basement. Any tips for this special, special cat?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Red Crown posted:

I posted some time ago looking for help with a meow-y 2 year old orange fat cat.

We sort of solved his constant meow problem, kind of, (he still expects to be fed at odd hours of the day and will annoy us around dinner time), but I'm looking for more generalized advice. Simply put, and no offense meant, I think he's developmentally retarded.

He seems pretty inbred - he's rather polydactl - and he's still a hellraising kitten at age two. In fact, he's more of an rear end in a top hat than he was at six months. He also gets paralyzingly nervous when he's outside the apartment for any reason (the most he'll move is he'll slink over at low speed to cuddle up and start crying). He's not bright, if I'm playing with him and play-threatening him and have cornered him, more often than not he'll just give up and stop moving and look scared.

The lady loves the cat, gods help her, but we're sick of a bunch of little things - he's a jerk, we can't take him anywhere, he thinks that any food on the counter is his and we have to watch him constantly to make sure he doesn't nibble into our dinner while it cools, etc. Essentially, the cat is a feline manchild, neckbearded and unwilling to leave his mother's basement. Any tips for this special, special cat?
Your cat is a cat.

Counter issues: try a scat mat maybe, make sure there are no chairs or easy access methods to get on the table. Also, don't put his food on the counter ever. What I do right now is put my cats' food bowls in their open cat carriers when it's feeding time. This makes it easier to get them in there when it's time to go to the vet, and it also gives them a defined feeding area.

Scared of outside: it's an unfamiliar environment to him, so this is normal. This can be a good thing since he'll probably be less likely to run out of open doors or windows. Where exactly do you want to take him all the time?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Red Crown posted:

Yeah, I hate to break it to you, but your cat is basically a normal cat. Maybe he's a bit of an rear end in a top hat and has some neurotic tendencies, but he's still young. I don't think he is developmentally challenged/retarded. Normal cats are often just like this - many are actually worse. I don't know much about "retarded" cats, but from what I understand they have much more serious problems functioning on the most basic levels. Your cat knows how to poo poo and piss in the litter box, is able to feed himself and groom himself, and can get around. He's fine. From what I know, "retarded" cats tend to have problems with some or all of the above.

And just because he's polydactyl doesn't mean he's inbred, or stupid, thank you very much! I have a polydactyl cat who is very kind and smart and awesome :colbert:

Also, not to nitpick or criticize, but it's not really good to behave in a threatening manner and/or corner your cat, even when playing. It sounds like you expect your cat to enjoy this, but as far as I know, most do not. Most of them get really upset and freaked out, and react appropriately. I wouldn't recommend you continue doing it - it's generally not a good thing when your cat just shuts down and cowers and looks scared, and putting him in that position is not going to engender much trust or positive feeling in your relationship with him, to be frank.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fine-tune posted:

I would think the food would still be safe (as it is heated when they can it), so long as you aren't seeing any bulging on the cans. Canned food for people and animals alike assuredly ends up in un-airconditioned trucks on the way to the store all of the time and we just never think about it.

Thanks, that's what I told her but wanted to get a second opinion. None of the cans were bulging and I imagine it's more just superficial warming rather than "these got re-cooked."

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!
I think my 6ish month old kitten might have tapeworms. Came and sat down next to me and I found a rice looking wiggly thing on the couch. Is there anything you can buy over the counter that will fix him up or is that strictly a vet medicine?

Edit: Called up vet, they have an OTC medicine that I can put on the back of his neck and it's only about 20$! No vet apt. needed.

Duckie fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 11, 2012

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
Any tips on wiping cat butt? My cat's usually pretty good about it, but today I noticed that she had some... klingons, and was completely unaware of it. I tried to distract her while sneaking in with some damp toilet paper, but she'd either run off or sit down (precisely what I was trying to avoid).

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Scruff that cat. Failing that, towel burrito.

Scritch base of tail and hopefully cat will elevator butt at you. Wipe with other hand while still scritching.

Godspeed!

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

Noblesse Oblige posted:

Any tips on wiping cat butt? My cat's usually pretty good about it, but today I noticed that she had some... klingons, and was completely unaware of it. I tried to distract her while sneaking in with some damp toilet paper, but she'd either run off or sit down (precisely what I was trying to avoid).

Sometimes ours have this issue. We usually use baby wipes (I have them around cause I have GI issues and chafing isn't fun) and just grab the tail and lift up, scruffing if he needs to be held still. Then just rub the gross bits off.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
If the cat has no objections, are there any downsides to shaving a cat for no good reason? It's an indoor cat, so no sunburn worries.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Meow Cadet posted:

If the cat has no objections, are there any downsides to shaving a cat for no good reason? It's an indoor cat, so no sunburn worries.

I guess I don't see why not. Some people with longhaired cats do lion cuts.

Reasons I am replying by percentage:
1% - be helpful
2% - insert shaved pussy joke here
97% - post cat with lion cut

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Meow Cadet posted:

Be careful when shaving, if you're going the DIY route. Cats have very thin skin and you run the risk of tagging them on the difficult parts like the rear of the back legs or where legs join the body. Don't shave the head- you don't want to get rid of whiskers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Meow Cadet posted:

If you have other cats it might freak them out. Whenever we shaved Clarence our other two cats would be like "WHO THE gently caress IS THIS GUY" for a little bit.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

But how do you shave them if they fear things that make the sound of a vacuum cleaner?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

We did it when he was under for teeth cleaning anyway.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Meow Cadet posted:

My friend's indoor cat is shaved once every summer. She loves it. It helps her stay cool, mat free, and she's a lot more social and active. Texas summers are brutal, so even in a/c houses can be uncomfortably warm for a majority of the day AND night because it doesn't really cool down.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012
Does anyone know if cats can get chapped lips? Mine has a red patch, flaky of skin on his upper mouth directly under his nose where the mouth curves. I noticed him licking the area quite a bit. It's only in the one spot. My fiance got a job recently so he's home alone most of the day and we brought home two fosters, so I suspect he's licking it out of stress or boredom and irritating it. Is this reasonable and is there anything we can do to help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Arkham Angel posted:

Does anyone know if cats can get chapped lips? Mine has a red patch, flaky of skin on his upper mouth directly under his nose where the mouth curves. I noticed him licking the area quite a bit. It's only in the one spot. My fiance got a job recently so he's home alone most of the day and we brought home two fosters, so I suspect he's licking it out of stress or boredom and irritating it. Is this reasonable and is there anything we can do to help?
Maybe cat acne? Try cleaning the food and water bowl and don't use plastic ones?