Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Goon Danton posted:

Anyway I'm accidentally off my anxiety meds which means it's time to sublimate my feelings into horror movies! Two John Carpenter inspired requests:

Movies where the fact that it's fiction is itself a source of horror. In the Mouth of Madness is the obvious one here, but I'm not sure if it's unique in that way. Absurdist stuff like Rosecrantz and Guildenstern are Dead almost do it, but iirc the characters usually don't get to the point of really "getting it" in those, and it's usually not a horror thing.

Movies where all the building tension pays off with extended scenes of total chaos rather than just jump scare moments. The Thing pulls off several "all hell breaking loose" moments that I absolutely adore, so more like that would be welcome.

Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire, maybe? It's kind of hard to tell what they're about, but I think that's part of it.

All hell breaking lose: Evil Dead 2, From Dusk Till Dawn, Uzumaki and House (1977) qualify, I think.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I love Sogo ishii's Electric Dragon 80,000V, the music, the aesthetic and the tone were all totally my kind of thing. I wanted to check out more Sogo Ishii but the dude's made like a billion films. Does anyone have some top Ishii films?

Maybe Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive trilogy? It also reminds me a little bit of Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

And More fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Looking for more movies like The Post (2017) and Spotlight (2015). Secrets coming to light.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

This may be a bit too obvious, but The Big Short?

There are also some pretty interesting documentary films out there such as David Wants to Fly and Tickled, if you just want to find out about some outrageous poo poo.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FalloutGod posted:

Looking for more movies like The Post (2017) and Spotlight (2015). Secrets coming to light.

All the President's Men is still the gold standard of the genre.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

FalloutGod posted:

Citizenfour.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FalloutGod posted:

The Celebration/Festen

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

Citizenfour.

I've seen Snowden (2016) whats the difference between that and this?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FalloutGod posted:

Citzenfour is a documentary that basically shows Snowden organizing the leak and tracking the fallout in real time, it's an amazing movie.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

ButtWolf posted:

Hello, I just watched 'Paterson.' I am looking for more great slice-of-life films. Please and thank you.

I would say Trees Lounge, Big Night, Frances Ha, Mistress America, The Straight Story, maybe stuff like Smoke or Short Cuts if you're up for the whole 90s anthology trend? Also for more Jim Jarmusch there's Stranger Than Paradise and Mystery Train as two of my favourites of his, and most/all of Mike Leigh's work, but I'd particularly recommend Naked and Secrets & Lies. Hope that's the kind of stuff you're looking for.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

ButtWolf posted:

Hello, I just watched 'Paterson.' I am looking for more great slice-of-life films. Please and thank you.

The Taste of Tea is an all time favourite of mine. It's exceptionally aimless but the characters are all so delightful that it doesn't matter. It's a film I've rewatched loads just because I enjoy spending time with these characters so much.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 24, 2018

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ButtWolf posted:

I don't know if it quite fits what you're asking -- there is virtually no plot, it is perhaps the slowest movie I've ever watched, and is more about a setting than characters -- but I'm going to recommend Flowers of Shanghai. It's probably *the* movie that made me appreciate that films could be works of art and beauty and not just storytelling devices. Maybe the most gorgeously shot movie I've ever watched. I watched it in a narcotic haze while recovering from surgery and that's probably the ideal way to watch it given its subject matter but smoking marijuanas would also be a good fit, assuming of course it is legal in your jurisdiction.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to cast a wide net and request recommendations for lesser-known mystery/crime thrillers, ideally from the 1970s through the 1990s, along the lines of Tightrope, Sea of Love, The Silence of the Lambs etc. in which an investigator doggedly pursues a murderer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dunno if these are lesser-known enough, but Altman's Long Goodbye, DePalma's Blow Out, Paul Schrader's Hardcore and Polanski's Frantic are some of my fave investigative neo-noirs.

edit: I assume you know about Michael Mann's pre-Lambs Lector movie Manhunter. Add To Live and Die in LA for an amazing William Petersen 80's cop (or federal agent whatever) double bill.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 6, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually watched Blow Out just the other day, which inspired me to ask!

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would like to cast a wide net and request recommendations for lesser-known mystery/crime thrillers, ideally from the 1970s through the 1990s, along the lines of Tightrope, Sea of Love, The Silence of the Lambs etc. in which an investigator doggedly pursues a murderer.

Klute, Night Moves, Fear City, Cop, A Perfect World, One False Move

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Brannigan and McQ

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wheat Loaf posted:

Manhunter.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Wheat Loaf posted:

70s are great for this, with an added flavor of government conspiracy. Three Days of the Condor, The Parallax View, and The Conversation are all great.

E: they're not exactly lesser known films though

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have seen Manhunter and Parallax View. Some of those others are on my list already and I will add the rest. Thanks all!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Also, Marathon Man is an incredible film.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It isn't fully about the investigator pursuing a murderer, but the '70s original version of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three is excellent. I just watched it again recently, and the pacing is perfect. It feels like a modern movie as much as it does a '70s movie, but it also has that unmistakable '70s New York griminess, with a cast of mostly unattractive older men who look like real people, not actors.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It isn't fully about the investigator pursuing a murderer, but the '70s original version of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three is excellent. I just watched it again recently, and the pacing is perfect. It feels like a modern movie as much as it does a '70s movie, but it also has that unmistakable '70s New York griminess, with a cast of mostly unattractive older men who look like real people, not actors.

I haven't seen the remake (I'm sure it's fine) but I don't see why it was necessary because the original one is basically perfect.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen the remake (I'm sure it's fine) but I don't see why it was necessary because the original one is basically perfect.

You have excellent taste. You're going to LOVE The Long Goodbye (I hope), and that's a perfect movie to start off a triple-feature with The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice. If you have the Hoopla service through your public library, The Long Goodbye is available for free streaming through it.

Then when you get around to watching The Conversation, one could argue it has a sequel that came out over 20 years later: Enemy of the State.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen The Long Goodbye - the only Marlowe one I've seen is the original Big Sleep.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

FalloutGod posted:

I missed this months old post but anyway, Citizenfour is the actual documentary filmed of Snowden revealing the NSA spying network. The filming of Citizenfour is dramatized in Snowden (Melissa Leo plays Laura Poitras and Zachary Quinto plays Glenn Greenwald). It's also a much better movie and doesn't make up a bunch of poo poo for dramatic purposes.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Robert Mitchum had a good turn as Marlowe in the 70s in Farewell, My Lovely and a remake of The Big Sleep. I haven't seen the latter recently, but the former is grimy and world-weary as hell.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Anybody know of really good movies about parasocial interaction other than King of Comedy and Ingrid Goes West? Documentaries would be cool too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen The Long Goodbye - the only Marlowe one I've seen is the original Big Sleep.

You're in for a treat.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Almost Blue posted:

Anybody know of really good movies about parasocial interaction other than King of Comedy and Ingrid Goes West? Documentaries would be cool too.

If I'm understanding the term correctly, A Requiem for a Dream would count. As would Videodrome, in a roundabout way.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Almost Blue posted:

The Truman Show & The Fan (also Robert DeNiro weirdly). The former is great, the latter not so much.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Almost Blue posted:

I guess the Chilean film Tony Manero and the Italian film Reality if you're up for subtitled experiences? I don't know if they're 100% cast-iron what you're looking for but they're very close, and everything else that comes to mind is more actors and directors who lose their sense of reality to a project or suchlike

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Almost Blue posted:

5 easy pieces, maybe?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Staying on topic, I'm on a classic noir kick lately and trying to find something great that I've missed. I've seen:

The Big Sleep (both)
Double Indemnity
The Maltese Falcon
Out of the Past
Murder, My Sweet
Sunset Blvd.
The Third Man
In a Lonely Place
The Woman in the Window
Touch of Evil
Blast of Silence

I plan on watching:

Laura
Mildred Pierce
Detour

I've seen some that are generally considered noir, but feel more categorically loose, like Gun Crazy, Night of the Hunter, Scarlet Street, and Sweet Smell of Success, but I'm looking for the standard plots of a detective figuring out a murder or finding a missing person/object, instead of just a general crime film (unless it's reeeeeally good). Smart dialogue is a plus. I know I could use google, but it spits back the same lists and I don't know how comprehensive it is.

I wish they churned these out like they used to. Even the 70s were chock full of neo-noir, and we're in a similar bad situation now, coming off the heels of a poo poo war and embroiled in social divide and political corruption. Possibly more cynical as a society than ever in the past 70 years, we're primed for a noir resurgence.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I don't see The Asphalt Jungle in your list. That one's essential.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Staying on topic, I'm on a classic noir kick lately and trying to find something great that I've missed. I've seen:

The Big Sleep (both)
Double Indemnity
The Maltese Falcon
Out of the Past
Murder, My Sweet
Sunset Blvd.
The Third Man
In a Lonely Place
The Woman in the Window
Touch of Evil
Blast of Silence

I plan on watching:

Laura
Mildred Pierce
Detour

I've seen some that are generally considered noir, but feel more categorically loose, like Gun Crazy, Night of the Hunter, Scarlet Street, and Sweet Smell of Success, but I'm looking for the standard plots of a detective figuring out a murder or finding a missing person/object, instead of just a general crime film (unless it's reeeeeally good). Smart dialogue is a plus. I know I could use google, but it spits back the same lists and I don't know how comprehensive it is.

I wish they churned these out like they used to. Even the 70s were chock full of neo-noir, and we're in a similar bad situation now, coming off the heels of a poo poo war and embroiled in social divide and political corruption. Possibly more cynical as a society than ever in the past 70 years, we're primed for a noir resurgence.

Kiss Me Deadly, The Big Combo, The Big Heat, While The City Sleeps, Where The Sidewalk Ends, Angel Face, Criss Cross, Pickup on South Street, Cry Danger, Mr. Arkadin, On Dangerous Ground, Nightfall, Underworld USA, The Killers, T-Men, Raw Deal, The Narrow Margin, The Phenix City Story

Mildred Pierce is more akin to the ones you mentioned in the second paragraph (and I would say so is In A Lonely Place)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The House on Telegraph Hill and The Hitch-Hiker are good as well

Edit: and definitely Key Largo

Edit edit: I missed the part about preferring detective stories because I can’t read. Key Largo comes closest to qualifying.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 15, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Missed the responses before, but thanks for all the recs! I'll check them out.

Origami Dali posted:

Staying on topic, I'm on a classic noir kick lately and trying to find something great that I've missed.

The other posters got a lot of the essential ones, but here's a few more:

D.O.A.
Kiss of Death (Richard Widmark is phenomenal is this)
The Naked City
Lady in the Lake
Night and the City
Underworld U.S.A.
The Naked Kiss
Killer's Kiss (early Kubrick)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Born to Kill

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to request recommendations for adventure movies. Movies in the vein I'm looking for which I've enjoyed include: the Indiana Jones movies and television series; Sky Captain (flawed but entertaining); The Man Who Would Be King; The Wind and the Lion; The African Queen; Spielberg and Jackson's Tintin movie; and Tales of the Gold Monkey (another television series), to name a few examples.

Movies that provided the DNA for Indiana Jones, really, or which did a good job of replicating it. I would be happy to accept film serials if you can tell me where I can find them.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would like to request recommendations for adventure movies. Movies in the vein I'm looking for which I've enjoyed include: the Indiana Jones movies and television series; Sky Captain (flawed but entertaining); The Man Who Would Be King; The Wind and the Lion; The African Queen; Spielberg and Jackson's Tintin movie; and Tales of the Gold Monkey (another television series), to name a few examples.

Movies that provided the DNA for Indiana Jones, really, or which did a good job of replicating it. I would be happy to accept film serials if you can tell me where I can find them.

Buckaroo Banzai is kind of like a sci fi version of Indiana Jones.

Surely you've seen Romancing the Stone?

• Locked thread