Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

quote:

: Look into yourself, you cause only misery and real loss.
: You don`t show even a ray of hope

Wow, I can't believe the game did such a great job at describing itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
okay, I've officially lost the plot

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

There was a plot?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Marluxia posted:

There was a plot?

Yes, it was meant to be bad and frustrating.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
Wow, this dungeon just could not keep away from the shot I extremely called, huh? Almost as if despite the game trying its best to be the most amazing game ever, it acts predictably. However I can't predict the many flavors of bad game design, because I dunno fam I think about good games instead of trash with my free time. Also that's a lot of bad ideas. Honestly I'm wondering if we'll see a dungeon with more bad ideas per dungeon. I'm also just wondering if we'll see this sort of outright malicious design later in this game because nothing's stopping this person.

I couldn't tell you if there was a plot, I avert my gaze every time I hear dialogue because I'm just here for the dumpster fire. I don't need to fully comprehend cringe on top of it. I can only make so many sanity checks at once come on.

DarkMatt fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 12, 2022

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
So I'm not the only one confused by who Niera is and why she's apparently important? I went back through previous updates using ctrl+F and it didn't help much.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

If there is one thing I do like about that dungeon, it's that the dungeon item is a pretty neat concept. Too bad it's in Ballad of a Bloodline, and also given the game "design" you're just as likely to use it on some random tile to open a shutter rather than just burning/freezing/going into people's dreams?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

You know this Nightmare was like all dungeons mixed together, except Steaming Systems!
:cawg: :roflolmao: :cawg:

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Sum Gai posted:

So I'm not the only one confused by who Niera is and why she's apparently important? I went back through previous updates using ctrl+F and it didn't help much.

She first showed up in the Inverse World version of Kakariko village, where she called Knil a "smelly retard". I also gave her a portrait then knowing she'd become significant later :ssh:

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

quote:

You know this Nightmare was like all dungeons mixed together, except Steaming Systems!

Clearly steam hell is the perfect dungeon. Imitations need not apply.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

DimiPZC posted:

She first showed up in the Inverse World version of Kakariko village, where she called Knil a "smelly retard". I also gave her a portrait then knowing she'd become significant later :ssh:

I did find that exchange. As I said, it didn't help much.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

BoaB: Look around yourself, you are a disaster.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Materant posted:

BoaB: Look around yourself, you are a disaster.

While this game is an endless font of thread titles, I kind of feel like it already has the best (worst) possible one.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Qrr posted:

While this game is an endless font of thread titles, I kind of feel like it already has the best (worst) possible one.
I'm sure it'll top itself before too long.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I actually kind of like this track. Wish it was in something worth playing.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

In which we invade another persons privacy. Click the image to read the update!

Solitair posted:

I actually kind of like this track. Wish it was in something worth playing.

At the time of conversion, I didn't have access to the default soundfont, but I do now and I figure I should link the default soundfont version of the track cause I have no clue what soundfont it's meant to be played in.

https://soundcloud.com/dimipzc/mechanical-anthem-default-soundfont

I kinda like it too, it's not a bad song.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Nothing much to say about this one I feel like

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. I thought we were going to learn some big secret about Myra.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
I honestly consider it points for this game that the setup was "We just go into a girl's soul" and they do nothing weird or gross whatsoever.

Maybe this game is getting better.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

You leave Chibi-Robo out of this, BoaB :argh:

I think there was a Zelda Classic thread somewhere but I can't find it so I'll post this here: I remembered I had Lost Isle downloaded from ages ago and that it was considered one of the better ZC quests, so I played it and ended up giving up during the second dungeon because I found it infuriating. I guess my question is are there any actually good ZC quests or are they all janky attempts to implement the style of later Zelda games into an NES Zelda engine never meant for that, filled with enemy spam and huge pretzel-shaped dungeon layouts?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Procrastine posted:

I think there was a Zelda Classic thread somewhere but I can't find it so I'll post this here: I remembered I had Lost Isle downloaded from ages ago and that it was considered one of the better ZC quests, so I played it and ended up giving up during the second dungeon because I found it infuriating. I guess my question is are there any actually good ZC quests or are they all janky attempts to implement the style of later Zelda games into an NES Zelda engine never meant for that, filled with enemy spam and huge pretzel-shaped dungeon layouts?

Panoply of Calatia is really good; it's really janky but the jank is part of the charm given it's trying to emulate the NES charm while still doing "but what if ALL THE ITEMS, even ones that aren't Zelda?". Even comes with a manual!

Yuurand: Tales of the Labyrinth is probably the most ambitious quest; it's a block-based metroidvania collab with some story and stuff. It's a spinoff of the Yuurei series (Hitodama, Yuurei, and Reikon), all of which are pretty good, but Yuurand's definitely overshadowed them in popularity.

Go Gollab is a 9 person collab where each person made an area and a dungeon; a collab I myself contributed to. It's, uh, a bit cringe in terms of what I've contributed to it, it's from back when I was known as Dimentio on the forums and before I came out as trans, but the others did good work.

7th Quest (by Moosh) was made for the 6th quest contest meant to find built-in 6th-10th quests to put in the engine. Sadly, we have yet to include the winners, but 7th quest is one of those winners. The only problem is that you need to do a bit of digging to get it, cause it's not on the PureZC database.

Stellar Seas (by Moosh and Russ (they have a habit of collabing a lot, see Banana Blood God)) is a really ambitious exploration/story-driven quest with multiple party members, a bestiary, and collectibles. I'm probably underselling it, but it's really good.

Isle of Rebirth is...it was revolutionary at the time, and I still think the level design holds up well. It's also a fair bit more difficult than the others, and it's long. There's a few people who find the game to have some glaring flaws, and I'm unsure if my love for it is rose tinted or not.

There's more, but I think that's a good starting list.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DarkMatt posted:

I honestly consider it points for this game that the setup was "We just go into a girl's soul" and they do nothing weird or gross whatsoever.

Maybe this game is getting better.

sad but true, this is where the bar is at this point

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I can heartily recommend Panoply of Calatia. I should give that another playthrough, actually.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

DimiPZC posted:

There's more, but I think that's a good starting list.
Man, shows how long I've been out of the loop. I recognize only a couple of those, and haven't played any. I'll earmark them too in case I feel like playing more ZC someday.

One I have fondness for is Dreams of Yesterday. It's an old one and has some flaws (main dungeon 5), but it was way ahead of its time in scope and what it managed to pull off. Shame that the creator's next quest, Sabotage Dragoon, never got finished - it featured an original story and setting which was shaping up to be pretty good, also being way ahead of its time. A more modern(ish) that comes to mind is To The Top. It's pretty much all dungeon, but it's solidly designed enough.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 17, 2022

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

SirSystemError posted:

Man, shows how long I've been out of the loop. I recognize only a couple of those, and haven't played any. I'll earmark them too in case I feel like playing more ZC someday.

I have an excuse. Most of my quest playing took place before you could do bad game design because you're a script kiddie really unique gameplay with scripting. However, I do have quests to add to the list of, "Things you can play besides BoaB"

The Revenge 2 - Personal favorite and completely biased opinion. Very old, but very well structured and should work in modern Zelda Classic. It has good music selection and it's less about finding secrets in obtuse places and more about just exploration.

I Hate Mayonnaise 2: Depressive Donuts - Also has a lot of charm in its presentation. Is also mostly linear with some secrets and side paths to take but is also structured to be a ride to enjoy instead of a world to explore.

Antiquity - A quest that doesn't try to wow or be epic. It looks and plays like Zelda 1 but has some neat custom weapons and enemies. Good pick if you want to just play Zelda 1 but with different places.

I'll echo the 7th Quest (by Moosh) recommendation even though I sincerely hated the end of it.

Also you can go look through the works of DarkFlameWolf, Rambly, Saffith, and Moosh if you want more because those are some pretty consistently good quest makers.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I will give it one (1) point for accurately tracking which tunic you have on.

...unless it isn't and the game intends for you to not have the red tunic yet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I stumbled upon this thread out of curiosity. For one I never realized that Zelda Classic, something that I had found somewhere on the Internet in the early 2000s, had turned into something larger. Which is pretty interesting.

Of course I'm also horrified at the depths of bad design and bad taste someone can subject it to, but oh well.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Jade Rider posted:

I can heartily recommend Panoply of Calatia. I should give that another playthrough, actually.

Further recommending Panoply, it's very NES style but it takes the theme and runs with it in a very good way.
https://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=618

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I tried re-reading the whole thing from the beginning, and I still have no idea why we’re farting around here gathering medallions.

At least now we know we’re also looking for pieces of the light force???

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
I had thought, "Okay clearly I need to go back to when we got sword and went travelling, because I am pretty sure the story as it stands now set itself up there and has left it hanging since."

That was a mistake. This story does its best to confuse and disorient you. I didn't learn anything of note. I just got "Hey look! New dungeons! Which means new shiny things! :keke:"

Is this just a story that's such a masterwork it's incomprehensible by mortals?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

DarkMatt posted:

I had thought, "Okay clearly I need to go back to when we got sword and went travelling, because I am pretty sure the story as it stands now set itself up there and has left it hanging since."

That was a mistake. This story does its best to confuse and disorient you. I didn't learn anything of note. I just got "Hey look! New dungeons! Which means new shiny things! :keke:"

Is this just a story that's such a masterwork it's incomprehensible by mortals?

It's the sort of story that seems deep and clever and awesome when you are 13 and then when you're 25 you read through your notes and oh god why did this ever sound like a good idea

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

I'm sorry it's just I've been in that hole for over a month and I'm very peckish!!

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
I starting to believe that this just released in an early alpha edition, and the full fixed version never saw the light of day. Part of me also shudders to think how they could of made this worse, since I refuse to believe in a timeline where this game could be fixed into being playable. I can't even call this a Kaizo like, since those are hard yes, but hard in a "Have skill or learn mechanics, win game" way. This is just "Sucker punch for trying, Sucker Punch for failing, Sucker Punch for Succeeding." I'm not sure if I should applaud your patience Demi, or weep for your lost sanity.

Honestly, this game so far seems like we might have found a contender for "Worse than Back to the Future Part 2 & 3"

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

Xenav posted:

I starting to believe that this just released in an early alpha edition, and the full fixed version never saw the light of day. Part of me also shudders to think how they could of made this worse, since I refuse to believe in a timeline where this game could be fixed into being playable. I can't even call this a Kaizo like, since those are hard yes, but hard in a "Have skill or learn mechanics, win game" way. This is just "Sucker punch for trying, Sucker Punch for failing, Sucker Punch for Succeeding." I'm not sure if I should applaud your patience Demi, or weep for your lost sanity.

Honestly, this game so far seems like we might have found a contender for "Worse than Back to the Future Part 2 & 3"

Behold the stream of consciousness, raw, pure, unfettered, unfiltered.

I really can't describe this game better than that. Nothing stays and anything goes.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

DarkMatt posted:

The Revenge 2 - Personal favorite and completely biased opinion. Very old, but very well structured and should work in modern Zelda Classic. It has good music selection and it's less about finding secrets in obtuse places and more about just exploration.
Oh yeah, this one. It was the first quest I played. If I recall correctly, it was also the first - if not one of the first - to use a different tileset besides BS Zelda style or NES style. It also had a sneaky way of doing animated tiles before ZC allowed you to - by making them dummy items you can't grab. So, something of a revolutionary quest in that regard, besides being really good.

Xenav posted:

I starting to believe that this just released in an early alpha edition, and the full fixed version never saw the light of day. Part of me also shudders to think how they could of made this worse, since I refuse to believe in a timeline where this game could be fixed into being playable.
Well, I have...some sort of news in that regard. We are living in one of those timelines. It's probably not completely fixed, since that would entail rewriting things from the ground up, but there's at least some stuff in there that might push it into the threshold of barely playable. This is the original in all its "glory," however.

Xenav posted:

Well, Ballad of a Bloodline 2 & 3 exist. And 4. And 5 (which is more of a short sidestory). There's also a formal sidestory and a demake of BoaB in NES style. Yeah, this is just the tip of the iceberg. They're much less well known though, and you really need to dig to find them, for better or worse.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 20, 2022

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

SirSystemError posted:

Well, Ballad of a Bloodline 2 & 3 exist. And 4. And 5 (which is more of a short sidestory). There's also a formal sidestory and a demake of BoaB in NES style. Yeah, this is just the tip of the iceberg. They're much less well known though, and you really need to dig to find them, for better or worse.

quote:

Well, Ballad of a Bloodline 2&3 exist. And 4. And 5 (which is more of a short sidestory).

I think I just felt my heart sink. There's more of this garbage? That much more?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Materant posted:

I think I just felt my heart sink. There's more of this garbage? That much more?

It's like learning that they keep making "God's Not Dead" films.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Materant posted:

I was meaning to save this as a surprise reveal for when I finished the LP (and still might for people not paying attention to things outside the updates), but yes. There's 5 BoaBs, plus a prequel christmas story, plus both a remake and demake of this game. The ride never ends.

Sorry for the update delay; will post a new update either tonight or tomorrow!

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

DimiPZC posted:

I was meaning to save this as a surprise reveal for when I finished the LP (and still might for people not paying attention to things outside the updates), but yes. There's 5 BoaBs, plus a prequel christmas story, plus both a remake and demake of this game. The ride never ends.

Sorry for the update delay; will post a new update either tonight or tomorrow!

A prequel what story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I have no idea what a Christmas prequel story is for BoaB, but I know I want it now