Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i didn't realize that the villainous Dallas Wings cut the Northwestern GOAT Veronica Burton. they have made a powerful enemy today (guy who posts on the internet about basketball in a forum read by dozens of people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
arike ftw

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Things to watch tonight:
-NaLyssa Smith. She does it all. She can post, she can shoot, she can get to the basket with her dribble and plays elite defense.
-Fever have this rookie Caitlin Clark who might be decent. She's a bit under the radar.
-Reining MVP Breanna Stewart was quiet in Liberty's opener. She only scored under 10 points one time last season, so to open this year with only 8 was shocking. It's going to be a bounce back game, and the Fever are in for a ride.
-Unless you live under a basketball rock you watched Sabrina Ionescu take on Steph Curry at NBA All Star game. She is just as good in game.
-Watch Courtney Vandersloot pass. It's wild the poo poo she can do with the ball to get it places. She holds the WNBA record for assists in a game at 18, and you'll see why. It's loving awesome.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I appreciate these posts.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Disney+ had two WNBA games on last night. I was in a hurry and didn’t get to check if they were live or the replays from opening night

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Please style on these fools Libs. My JJ shirt just came in so I'm ready.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
How the gently caress is there any world where Sabrina isn't picked up at halfcourt by someone? Not a chance she gets an OPEN 3, get it together Fever

So many old folks in Indy in a coaches squat in their livingroom, hands full of hair going "BOX OUT, GET A REBOUND" right now

B Stew officially back

That dust up is nothing, let it go stripes.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Please do not make JJ mad. She is big and strong and my friend.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
q2

Wheeler going off is what the Fever are missing so far.

TURNOVERS Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

LEXIE, LET'S GO

Stew that block was WILD. Whoa.

There was like 5 minutes there the Fever looked fine, that was nice.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Stewie is not loving around. It always impresses me how much she can just take over a game.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Anyone know how the WNBA expansion draft works? I guess we're getting the Valkyries in 2025 so I need to get up to speed on whether they have a poo poo at scoring decent talent.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
q3

Boston getting going: Good.
NaLyssa being MIA all game: Bad.
Watching Stew work: Also good.
vs the team I love: very bad

Can Clark get going?

LIFE!?

Clark's first "NICE PASS" of the year

drat, end of the quarter that was the play but you gotta run it at 7 seconds, not 4

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone know how the WNBA expansion draft works? I guess we're getting the Valkyries in 2025 so I need to get up to speed on whether they have a poo poo at scoring decent talent.

Well, there are not enough roster slots in the W currently for all the good players, so they will have decent talent right away.

In the current CBA it's mostly the same as other sports expansions:

Current teams get to select a certain amount of players to protect and then the expansion team(s) pick from the folks left unprotected. Expansion team(s) can grab 1 person per team and all contracts transfer to them.

The expansion draft is separate before free agency, trades and the regular draft. WNBA decides where the team(s) slot into the new draft.

Last time teams could protect 6 players and they gave the Dream the 4th overall pick.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
End of that quarter was not ideal, hopefully they can put it away in the 4th

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Breanna Stewart is one of the most dominant players I’ve ever seen

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
q4

Smith averaged 15.5pts and 9.2reb with an eFG% of .501 last year. She has 2 points this game. Just MIA.

Rough game and the schedule does not get easier.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Bench will need to get going at some point, but it's hard to be disappointed when all 5 starters are humming like this.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Man, I don't know if the Fever are just talent starved, poorly coached, or both. Wasn't watching either of their first two games closely as I was doing other things, but they have not looked good. :(

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Kibner posted:

Man, I don't know if the Fever are just talent starved, poorly coached, or both. Wasn't watching either of their first two games closely as I was doing other things, but they have not looked good. :(

Playing the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the W to start the season doesnt help.

They get them both again next 2 games.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Athanatos posted:

Playing the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the W to start the season doesnt help.

They get them both again next 2 games.

oof

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'll be at the game on Saturday, I don't think it'll be quite as easy as tonight.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

I was at the Fever game tonight, but for some reason my seats were a lot farther back than they were last time I went to their home opener, I wonder what was up with that? :v:

Had a good time, but oof.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just got home from the Fever/Liberty game. First-ever WNBA game attended and, gotta say, brutal!

Positives: the pre-game atmosphere was awesome, the team store was absolutely packed with a long line out the door, and there was good energy in the first quarter and during the brief runs in the second and especially third quarters. Samuelson got more involved offensively and was efficient shooting. Boston wasn't a total non-factor on offense. Clark's shot wasn't falling but otherwise she played a much cleaner game (two of those fouls were bullshit) going from 0 --> 7 rebounds, 3 --> 6 assists, and 10 --> 3 turnovers.

Negatives: we have no presence in the paint offensively or especially defensively. The Liberty could drive for an easy two all night and nearly doubled our rebounds. The Boston/Smith duo is not cutting it defensively, and Boston hesitates and lacks confidence offensively whereas Smith seems to disappear outside of transition plays. We had SO MANY shot clock violations. Our coaching seems terrible; we have exactly one set play for Clark (a looping pick play from the opposite corner that takes way too long and kind of worked one time) and our players seemingly don't even know whose responsibility it is to in-bound the ball. Right now, Mitchell seems like a liability on offense; I don't think she's healthy yet. Fagbenle somehow missed a breakaway layup. Saxton doesn't know how to dribble. We shot 77% at the free throw line.

Funny: I was a couple rows away from Clark's family and her brother was screaming at her to "wake up!" in the second quarter.

I don't know what the gently caress the Fever did to the league to get this starting schedule or for the refs to be so intent on giving ticky-tack fouls to Clark, but jesus, welcome to the bigtime I guess. Hope it doesn't kill the audience surge.

Anyway, it was cool to see Stewart in person. She dominated that game start to finish.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Athanatos posted:

Well, there are not enough roster slots in the W currently for all the good players, so they will have decent talent right away.

In the current CBA it's mostly the same as other sports expansions:

Current teams get to select a certain amount of players to protect and then the expansion team(s) pick from the folks left unprotected. Expansion team(s) can grab 1 person per team and all contracts transfer to them.

The expansion draft is separate before free agency, trades and the regular draft. WNBA decides where the team(s) slot into the new draft.

Last time teams could protect 6 players and they gave the Dream the 4th overall pick.

They should give expansion teams the top pick. Especially now that we will have one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I want Paige bueckers on the fever now

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah from what I saw in the Fever game the coaching looks terrible. They kept running up against the shot clock like every possession. Clark and Boston did a nice pick and roll and that worked a lot better than Boston trying to back down, but they never kept going to it.

Like you might as well just run the Iowa offense because whatever they're trying to do isn't working.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thinking about it more, I think they need to put Clark at point guard and have Mitchell (or if I'm right about her health, Berger) alongside her at guard. Keeping Clark in the corner is neutering the offense and putting a lot of faith in Wheeler's judgement, and Wheeler's judgement seems awful. These defenses are doubling Clark on every play anyway, so even if that doesn't result in Clark getting more shots off, it should clear at least a little bit of space for more Samuelson shots or less noise in the paint for Boston and Smith.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://x.com/wbbtimeline/status/1791467399859872017?s=46

That is one hell of a debut lol

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The grink is gonna block you

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

-Friday games are on ION Network. It's a broadcast station. Put some rabbit ears on your TV and watch free ball.
Things to watch:
Early game
-If you watched the opener you saw DeWanna Bonner move into 5th all time scoring leader in the W, and you saw Alyssa Thomas get a triple double. That is pretty much the tale of the tape for the Sun this season. They are a tough team every night and their defense has been a key reason.
-The Mystics are in this weird limbo between rebuild and contend. Ariel Atkins dropped 20 points in their opener, but even that wasn't enough and she is going to have to find that next level of play if the Mystics want to get anywhere.
-Shakira Austin is who you want to watch. Elite defense turns into quick offense when she is on the floor. 13 points on 6-for-11 shooting, five rebounds, five blocks and two assists last game, and remember last night when I said I was shocked B Stew was held under 10? Shakira was the reason why.

Late Game:
-Not much to say about the Storm yet, but always flip their games on to see Jewell Loyd play basketball. She is one of those 'stop what you are doing and look' players. Kobe Bryant was so impressed he nicknamed her Gold Mamba.
-Napheesa Collier is amazing, but probably not enough to keep the Lynx a contender all season. They are also a tough watch with bottom of the league eFG% and top of the league turnovers...at least all those turnovers will make Jewell Loyd happy flying down the court dropping 40 points?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/vegas/status/1791595623520878983?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Chicago is too busy trying to build a dumb new stadium for the bears so they just gave all the players $200 gift certificates to Lou Malnatis and a jar of giardiniera

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

"The Lynx are a perfect ten for ten from behind the line, the Storm are a perfect eight for ei-"

(CLANG)

"Dangit!"

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Quick hits:
-People are going to get real loud because the Fever play the top teams in the W their first 4 games. There is a reason they had the 1st pick. Stewie going to drop 40. NaLyssa Smith has GOT to figure it out.
-Aces get 4 games in a row to open home? Becky Hammond is the schedule maker I think. This...will not be close and is a wild game to put on ABC.
-Sky/Wings is the game I'm looking forward to today. Angel Reese seemed to figure out a playstyle that worked VERY quickly after being shut down in the first half. Her and Mabrey really had something going late game.
-Dream played the Sparks and Mercury played the Aces first games. This game will be more telling for both teams where they are at this season. Britney Griner out.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
If you are free turn this game on. It's moving about 200mph for each team and both teams are on fire.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Well Clark definitely showed up this time. Fever as a whole still look overmatched though

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Clark looks so much better this game. Did they give her the ballhandling duties full time?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
clark does look so much better today, but that screen by stewie was brutal

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Fever/NY Game 2. I don't expect a win, but drat I hope Fever look better.

q1
Oh poo poo, we running. Lets keep this speed the entire game, bench is deep enough.
Clark having a hard time adjusting to speed of the defense in the W. Passes just do not get through if you weak arm them.
Clark feeling more confident it seems.
Nothing makes for excitement like a 8min ref review. Get it to-loving-gether.
Fever stink around the rim which seems to be the dumbest thing ever with Boston and Smith on the roster.
Oh good, MORE reviews.
Down by 10 after 1 and not feelin too bad about it. Classic Fever things.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oooff, I think the Liberty could just drive in for a layup every possession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
q2
The Fever must not watch the 3point comp or the NBA All-Star weekend. How is Sabrina open at any point on the floor?
All eyes in the world on Clark on offense, Boston and Smith need to figure out how they can translate that to buckets. Both of them having such a rough start to the season.
NY 12/18 from 3 and like 10 of those are WIDE open.

q3
Fever just reach and strive for every point...and NY just walk down and BANG.
Clark and Smith more PnR please.
Passing looking good for everyone now, offense looking better.

q4
Just make a drat shot. Getting looks, cant sink em
turnovers and misses and turnovers and misses and turnovers and
Fever defense just a turnstile for layups
put in Berger, pack it up!
ah the classic "End of the game run so it looks like a better loss!"

Liberty are so drat good.