Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
EU DC used to have its servers on the US east coast and they did fine then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What are the expected topics for the final pre-DT live letter? I would have assumed they had covered everything 7.0 relevant by now (and they've even talked about what isn't in 7.0 like pvp changes).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Story/Launch trailer, for one. That'll be our first real look at in-game cutscene stuff.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

What are the expected topics for the final pre-DT live letter? I would have assumed they had covered everything 7.0 relevant by now (and they've even talked about what isn't in 7.0 like pvp changes).

More lalafel chins.

Edit: Here's the digest for the LL right before EW's launch; https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/446501-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-LXVII-%2811-19-2021%29

Looks like they cover just about everything being updated to some degree.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 19, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah seems like in-game renders of areas and dungeons, a bit more insight into the story, potentially a tease for an unrevealed area, the name of the first raid tier, and some crafter/gatherer/lifestyle content info

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Going by the last PLL for EW:
  • The story/Launch trailer
  • Dates for 7.01 and 7.05
  • Quick recap of some stuff we know, possibly with slightly more info on the Scions and other notable NPCs
  • Information on stuff like role quests and the new Crystalline Mean/Studium
  • More info on dungeons
  • DoH/L info
  • Misc. info and changes like UI updates, the new tomestones and any other minor stuff that they feel they need to mention at least in passing (like a new minion/mount GC seal gacha box for 5.X stuff)
  • Any final info on the graphics update they want to get out

The EW PLL had a bunch more time talking about the changes coming to PvP and the housing lottery, and while there may be a bit of DT's PvP, I bet most of that will instead be dedicated to the graphics changes.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So now that the dust has settled how's everyone feeling about the Job Action trailer, biggest winners, losers, etc.

Probably going to main Ninja when I really wasn't expecting to do so, plus Warrior and Gunbreaker look pretty lit.

I initially expected to either go in wanting to play Samurai, Bard, or Summoner but I can probably cross Summoner off of my list; Solar Bahamut isn't doing anything for me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

As a GNB main since mid-5.x, it's pretty If It Ain't Broke. I feel like Gunbreaker is in general a pretty well-designed job for what it is, so give me a cool new thing to do and another 123, sure! Kinda surprised we didn't get a fourth cartridge, but I don't feel like I'm lacking with 3.

If I could maybe add one thing to GNB, it might be nice to have a second resource to use like some jobs have? That's really mostly what I can think of to add a tiny bit more complexity.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

MechaX posted:

So now that the dust has settled how's everyone feeling about the Job Action trailer, biggest winners, losers, etc.

Probably going to main Ninja when I really wasn't expecting to do so, plus Warrior and Gunbreaker look pretty lit.

I initially expected to either go in wanting to play Samurai, Bard, or Summoner but I can probably cross Summoner off of my list; Solar Bahamut isn't doing anything for me

I feel like they went halfsies on the Bozja healer gap closer for WHM when they should have gone all the way and just full on given us the Seraph Strike leap of very painful death.

But still, we have one now! So, thanks I guess!

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Waffleman_ posted:

As a GNB main since mid-5.x, it's pretty If It Ain't Broke. I feel like Gunbreaker is in general a pretty well-designed job for what it is, so give me a cool new thing to do and another 123, sure! Kinda surprised we didn't get a fourth cartridge, but I don't feel like I'm lacking with 3.

If I could maybe add one thing to GNB, it might be nice to have a second resource to use like some jobs have? That's really mostly what I can think of to add a tiny bit more complexity.

Lots of gunbreaker players really didn't like the endwalker changes and funnily enough a fourth cartridge was right up there on the list of "oh god please not that" things people were worried the job would get.

The actual changes seem good though, the lionheart combo looks cool and the fact that it's three gcds inside 2min windows which dont use cartridges should make the job feel more flexible.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

MechaX posted:

Winners!

Viper- Job trailer completely turned me around. I had no interest prior and now I am super interested. I've rewatched the viper section in both the trailer and the ll multiple times. I just think their animations and effects look so good when you actually chain together at gameplay speed. It also looks really fast and has lots of ogcd action but not all clumped up in a fuckpile like drg. All that said, on launch day, my order of operations is going to be unlock viper > Spend time on a dummy > duty support some piece of poo poo level 50 dungeon to see how intolerable the job is sync'd. If it ends up like rpr where it's only fun at max level, I'm not going to main it, don't care how flashy it is.

Pictomancer- I think the aesthetic is great. if I had any inclination towards casters I'd be hyped. As is, I look forward to levelling it but then probably not touching it again.

Sage- More dps buttons than the other healers, best as I can tell.

Brd- Targetless songs is extremely nice.

Kinda into it!

Samurai- New stuff looks good but not sure how to feel about the meikyo tsubame change. Looks good on the whole, probably going to main it if viper doesn't pan out.

Reaper- Additions look good but boring and what I expected. Unless they rework the levels you get skills at though I am saying goodbye to this job.

Kinda not into it...

Gunbreaker- Continuation off fated circle is good, but stop giving tanks consolidated combos. Not every tank needs multiple instances of pushing the same button 3 times in a row in their rotation! I specifically chose gnb in shb as my tank to avoid that.

Losers :(

Sch- That transformation sucks, flavor miss. I also feel like sticking a transformation on an established job is a mistake. Lots of people complained and still complain about enshroud's transformation. Since it rpr was a new job, not the biggest deal. If you really hated the transformation then you just never played it. Some amount of scholars who have been sch mains for multiple expansions now are really going to hate that transformation. Also been seeing a lot of salt about sge getting an aoe dot and not them.

Smn- Literally any other summon would have been preferable over a 2nd bahamut.

Drk- At last, the drk gets 2 new combos. Oops, they trigger off 2 abilities with long cooldowns. Didn't really notice anything indicating better sustain either. Swing and a miss.

What the gently caress?

Ninja. I have no idea what was going on with ninja. I saw more new bespoke animations during the ninja reel than anybody else. Probably the only job I came away from the trailer with more questions than answers. It looked cool at least?

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 19, 2024

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Looks like they've Heard and Seen the gamers being displeased with damage-dealing gap closers so we probably won't be seeing any more of them. At least they'll always have PvP and Bozja :unsmith:

Anyway yeah the biggest loser is definitely PLD who seems to just be getting new animations and an extra hit to their Confiteor combo. Other classes like SMN and WAR are in the same boat but at least their animations are cooler. I would group MCH with this but getting charges on Drill is nice and the new Heavyarms skill is unbelievably sick. I will be counting the days to 7.1 and its inclusion into CC.

Very interested to see how new AST and MNK will work. If it's just "Sleeve Draw a buff for DPS, tank, and healer, plus Lord or Lady of Crowns" I'll actually be kind of disappointed, because I liked shuffling cards between nukes. I hope the new damage skills all the healers seem to be getting are relevant in all content and not just dungeon trash.

I'm so pumped for Ninja I might play it over Viper, even though Viper is absolutely My poo poo. Picto is also awesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Note Block posted:

I feel like they went halfsies on the Bozja healer gap closer for WHM when they should have gone all the way and just full on given us the Seraph Strike leap of very painful death.

But still, we have one now! So, thanks I guess!

They seem to be divorcing gap closers from damage on everyone else so that they become a utility ability that's there when you need it.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah that sucks

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wish to leap upon my prey animal style for big serotonin numbers and I wish to do it while holding a sparkly staff and floating around with prismatic angel wings

Welp back to Bozja I guess

(note: I'm still glad WHM is finally getting one)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Note Block posted:

Yeah that sucks

It's kind of unavoidable and has been a while coming. Gap closers are something that would genuinely be nice to have for utility but giving them DPS means using them for utility is a DPS loss and that is considered largely unacceptable to the FFXIV community. (Even if the DPS it adds is basically irrelevant.)

You genuinely can't give something DPS and utility with the design of the game unless that utility is baked into something you'd want to do anyway (like RDM's gap closer. They even had to give its disengage a second non-disengage option with equal DPS because of that.)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Ninja. I have no idea what was going on with ninja. I saw more new bespoke animations during the ninja reel than anybody else. Probably the only job I came away from the trailer with more questions than answers. It looked cool at least?

it looks like the replacement for huton is a gauge you can build up with armor crush and spend with aeolian edge, so you're still going to be using armor crush X amount of combos. it'll probably shake out to be a similar number of times you were using it to refresh huton.

the biggest win is that refreshing huton before you got armor crush was dumb so the sub-54 gameplay is improved.

some of the new animations are followups to existing attacks.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The game will still have gap closers with damage, far as I can tell. I don't see any indication that Primal Rend isn't going to spinny-jump you on top of bosses. These abilities are just big damage first and happen to move you as a secondary effect.

Having gap closers that were intended to be used for movement but that also did a little bit of damage sucked and I'm glad they're killing them. WHM can and should still get Seraph Strike and it can be a big jumpy magical staff smash, it just shouldn't be part of their movement toolkit.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 19, 2024

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

aers posted:

it looks like the replacement for huton is a gauge you can build up with armor crush and spend with aeolian edge, so you're still going to be using armor crush X amount of combos. it'll probably shake out to be a similar number of times you were using it to refresh huton.

the biggest win is that refreshing huton before you got armor crush was dumb so the sub-54 gameplay is improved.

some of the new animations are followups to existing attacks.

Yeah all that stuff sounded great, I just saw 4 new animations that weren't immediately identifiable (and 2 that were, new huton and hellfrog large). First looks like a visual upgrade for death blossom. But then you've got that extremely spinny slash attack, which is maybe an upgrade bhava since it cost 50 gauge? The poison spit attack which people theorize is a mug upgrade. Hellfrog large and lastly that TCJ followup.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Note Block posted:

I wish to leap upon my prey animal style for big serotonin numbers and I wish to do it while holding a sparkly staff and floating around with prismatic angel wings

Welp back to Bozja I guess

(note: I'm still glad WHM is finally getting one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrfxvxweRXc

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Failboattootoot posted:

Yeah all that stuff sounded great, I just saw 4 new animations that weren't immediately identifiable (and 2 that were, new huton and hellfrog large). First looks like a visual upgrade for death blossom. But then you've got that extremely spinny slash attack, which is maybe an upgrade bhava since it cost 50 gauge? The poison spit attack which people theorize is a mug upgrade. Hellfrog large and lastly that TCJ followup.

I actually think the AoE kunai thing directly after Huton might be a Trick Attack upgrade, since they seem to have given some focus to making Ninja's animations more impressive. It being AoE will be nice for dungeons. I'm pretty sure that spinning slash is the new Bhavacakra (which rules) and I love that drum SFX that plays when you do it and Hellfrog Large. And yeah the poison breath thing is definitely Mug, the Ninja gets meter off it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Totally hype for Viper and Pictomancer!

Very, very, very interested in Monk.

Gunbreaker looks even neater.

Curious about Dragoon.

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023
Several jobs seem interesting to me and I'm not looking forward to having to choose a couple to prioritize for gear

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The funniest part about monk is that it isn't even changing the rotation that much. They just took away the the dot and buff and made them an (IMO) much more confusing meter system that does effectively the same thing but without the timer ticking down. It's silly. It really feels like a silly change.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The BLM changes seem to be good QoL stuff but I’m unsure of how changing the Ice MP regen from being ticks to based on ice spells cast is going to affect the Ice phase. Also unsure how Manafont allowing for an extra Fire IV/Flare is going to affect the timing of the new fireball.

I suspect it will all make sense after I knock the training dummy in my yard around a bit but for now it’s very ???

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

The BLM changes seem to be good QoL stuff but I’m unsure of how changing the Ice MP regen from being ticks to based on ice spells cast is going to affect the Ice phase. Also unsure how Manafont allowing for an extra Fire IV/Flare is going to affect the timing of the new fireball.

I suspect it will all make sense after I knock the training dummy in my yard around a bit but for now it’s very ???

I mean previously you just cast the ice spell that gives you 3 crystals and maybe lightning if your procs were bad and swap back because ticks were such and the MP regen so huge that that alone got you what you needed. I figure you might have to cast more than 1 ice spell to top off now.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The funniest part about monk is that it isn't even changing the rotation that much. They just took away the the dot and buff and made them an (IMO) much more confusing meter system that does effectively the same thing but without the timer ticking down. It's silly. It really feels like a silly change.

it lines up exactly with when you would have wanted to use twin snakes or devastation previously. it's giving you a visual to use an more optimal rotation than the old lazy monk rotation. should be good.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Black Mage having to actually cast an Ice spell to regenerate MP probably quashes most of the weird gimmick rotations they could do right? Not that those were ever optimal, they were just funny

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MechaX posted:

It's probably a very boring opinion but I don't really think there were any big winners for me. Once we actually get some tooltips and traits maybe some things will solidify but it really just feels like business as usual for most jobs and the few who did get significant changes didn't really improve much in my eyes (again, based entirely off a few spell effects and datamining). Like the AST changes are probably good for players whose main concern was getting RNG screwed in prog and redundant buttons (ie. Redraw), but the reason I liked playing AST when I did was because it effectively had the most executionally-demanding "dps rotation" in constantly flipping cards and targeting the appropriate party members. But I also only play AST in EXDR other easy group content so the changes aren't really for me and so basically it just got (probably) less fun for me personally with no real gain unless the utility cards are actually useful in that kind of content, which is pretty rarely true.

The jobs I do main basically didn't change aside from getting probably a new oGCD big damage button. So I guess they're winners in that they probably didn't get worse. Actually WHM probably looks the best, it got a new damage button and a funny movement tool.

Don't get me wrong, the combat in FFXIV is fun enough that I'll still probably have a great time and the new spells and abilities have great animations, but nothing really excited me now that the initial wave of "omg something new" is past. Both of the new DPS jobs look cool but I also don't know how much I'll get to play them because all my tank and healer friends have mostly stopped playing lol

e: I also don't really think there's any losers unless new AST is really boring. Things are simply Keepin' On Keepin' On.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Black Mage having to actually cast an Ice spell to regenerate MP probably quashes most of the weird gimmick rotations they could do right? Not that those were ever optimal, they were just funny

Probably not, I doubt even with this you're gonna be in Ice phase for significant amounts of GCDs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

As someone mentioned, this teaches people to do the monk rotation correctly.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

it doesn't change the rotation much, but it makes your burst easier because you don't have to worry about dropping or overwriting demolish
e: of course, you could always just eat the demo clip and still parse better by critting more phantom rushes, but i'm not really sure what point i'm trying to make right now

Red Metal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 20, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

As someone mentioned, this teaches people to do the monk rotation correctly.

They won't learn. This doesn't really do more than just the common sense of keeping a pure damage buff up as much as possible.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Honestly, I'm fine with taking my Recitation CD reduction and running away. Means I can ED more.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
We all love ED

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I find the new MNK rotation much easier to visualize than having to remember what skill to use next based on buff timers.

Then again, I didn't play MNK very often, but that was kind of why.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i am interested in trying Fast Warrior in dawntrail to try and maximise those fellest cleaves

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
FF14 has a raider.io equivalent now. Is this the end of basic human decency in PF or has that already been dead for a while

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

didnt sites doing basically the same thing already exist? im not sure what the big change here is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
did raider.io do anything other than check your gear level? gearing is basically the easiest thing in the world in FFXIV to the point where anyone who would be interested in doing PF-tier content would be able to easily do it on their own with no difficulty. if raider.io was something else disregard