Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They announced this way too early. I think it first appeared at 'E3' last year.

*laughs in Persona 5 levels of waiting after first announcement*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I said come in! posted:

*laughs in Persona 5 levels of waiting after first announcement*

Yeah, for real, but similar to FROM titles I just feel like Persona as a series has enough inbuilt clout to benefit from an extended hype-cycle as passive marketing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, for real, but similar to FROM titles I just feel like Persona as a series has enough inbuilt clout to benefit from an extended hype-cycle as passive marketing.

True yeah, when it comes to new IPs, long wait times can hamper them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

w/r/t Steller Blade controversy, why don't the dev's just include the ability to swap out the skin tight sexy girl with a 50 yr old with a beer gut? Who wouldn't want to crush insane combos with jiggle physics on the fat dudes stomach?

Taking out the fatass goon skin is a move that has been known to destroy even the most renowned studios. The canary in the coalmine for Naughty Dog's downward spiral was when they removed Donut Drake, so let that be a lesson to aspirant devs looking to gently caress around and find out.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

w/r/t Steller Blade controversy, why don't the dev's just include the ability to swap out the skin tight sexy girl with a 50 yr old with a beer gut? Who wouldn't want to crush insane combos with jiggle physics on the fat dudes stomach?

Stellar Blade Gestalt

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They announced this way too early. I think it first appeared at 'E3' last year.

(it's the same game, for those who don't know)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

You know, maybe not. I don’t really read much gaming press myself at all. The react video thumbnails might have given me a false impression. Maybe internationally it is just IGN and the normal reset/neogaf weirdos bickering?

I don't think there's even any bickering, it's all gamergate types talking to each other. What you're seeing on youtube is just creators chasing outrage views from an audience that has seized on a particular topic. Key takeaway from gamergate 1: there's no rationally analyzing that community's output. The crux of the problem is that people can organize online, create their own funhouse mirror version of reality in isolation, and then force that reality onto everyone else. You have to become an incel anthropologist to parse anything they say, or ignore it entirely. That last option is great, as long as you aren't targeted by a harassment campaign and don't care about anyone who is. And as long as you don't mind becoming increasingly ignorant and bewildered as this model keeps spreading through culture. Like change a couple proper nouns and I could be talking about QAnon. You can't have a deep understanding of Jan 6 without knowing what WWG1WGA means, and that's just how things are now.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

You know, if SB actually had a naked fat man mode with the same jiggle physics, I’d absolutely buy it. That sounds hilarious. Maybe it’s a bit regressive of me, but there’s that fat man baby walking sim coming out too and no one is upset about it?

acksplode posted:

I don't think there's even any bickering, it's all gamergate types talking to each other.

Oh, I’ve definitely seen a lot of bickering on the big gaming forums. It is a fair point that I only see gamergate types in youtube thumbnails though.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 23, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fat man walking sim guy is wearing a onesie. At least by default, maybe there will be sexy costume packs later

Alan Wake 2 still unchallenged king of naked fat man games

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Yeah I put "controversy" in quotes for a reason. Its's mostly chuds and terminally online people fighting a video game culture war.

Atomic Heart has a lot of issues, but the moment to moment gameplay that includes FPS melee and shooting and dodging somehow works incredibly well. Also has the most satisfying looting mechanics I’ve ever used in a game. Shame about the bizarre DLC that is like mobile mini games for some reason wtc?

Lol thats everything I hate about it. Unless they patched it, the movement speed is so slow and there is just a dash but not sprinting, enemies are damage sponges so melee feels terrible, and looting is awful because every room has a million drawers for you to vacuum crafting materials out of.

But yeah the DLC is a big WTF itself. It looks like they tried to implement old school FPS surf maps but the physics are all wrong since its Unreal and not some Quake/Source derivative.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Atlas also streamed a long overview of the new game today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMO-eAwvvuY

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

holy gently caress lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Atomic Heart has a lot of issues, but the moment to moment gameplay that includes FPS melee and shooting and dodging somehow works incredibly well. Also has the most satisfying looting mechanics I’ve ever used in a game. Shame about the bizarre DLC that is like mobile mini games for some reason wtc?

There are parts of the game that shipped in a state that I would say barely qualifies as finished. otoh the art direction, gunplay, looting, soundtrack, and puzzle solving are simply incredible.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Someone mentioned No Rest for the Wicked. My eyes glazed over because it made me think of that wack Cage the Elephant song from Borderlands, but the game actually looks incredible. should have called it Dark Age: Legacy Souls: Origins or something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've seen a lot of talk that the beta or whatever it is they call them is pretty rough. I'm happy to wait to pay it in good shape, it does look rad.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, No Rest For The Wicked is cool. Performance and early balance issues aside, it already feels really fun to play. Full release for early access games is normally at least a year after EA opens though, so it’ll probably be a while before it hits PS5.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

That devs art team are incredible. Need that on a tv. Hope it all comes together.

Kale
May 14, 2010

univbee posted:

Stellar Blade is causing some interesting drama in Japan but not quite for the reasons you might expect.

Basically, the game is apparently releasing uncensored in Japan, and I checked the Japanese version of the demo and its content is identical to the version of the demo released elsewhere. This is highly unusual because the game only carries a CERO D rating (17+ with no real "enforcement"), whereas even CERO Z games (18+ with government restrictions like ID checks and needing to buy them with an actual credit card on PSN, which is a bit of a rare and strictly-regulated thing in Japan) with similar content have needed to be specially modified to even get the CERO Z rating (a lot of stuff isn't allowed even in Z-rated games, including some of the red bloody dismemberment shown in the demo). A Japanese representative for EA is now calling bullshit since the Dead Space remake was refused classification and couldn't be released in Japan at all. In fact most games which are M-rated in North America and PEGI 18 in Europe need some form of modification for a Japanese console version, if they're not similarly refused classification entirely like Dead Space was (so were The Callisto Protocol and basically every Mortal Kombat game going back to MK2, which was released on Super Famicom in a censored "green blood and fatalities are black and white" state).

Worth mentioning that the Japanese version of Stellar Blade has Japanese audio (as well as every other audio language) as an option whereas the other versions of the game do not due to VA contract agreements in Japan.

Is that the reason why they put out that game is uncensored tweet which the incel anti-woke coomer crowd is celebrating as a massive victory? I found that weird and like they were basically dog whistling at that crowd to reassure them that this "their game" and was kind of irked by it, but that makes more sense if that's what it's about.

All the marketing and just weird fervor surrounding this game honestly has me wondering now if it's actually gonna be any good. It's like they're building these crazy expectations, but also feels like they're kind of overselling it now from what I was anticipating even a few months ago as just a quirky ode to classic sci-fi stuff like Battle Angel Alita or Genesis Climber Mospeada. I honestly didn't expect it to be marketed like it's the second coming by Sony or to it to pick up this weird culture war angle so it's honestly gotten harder to know what to expect anymore now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lots of dumb chuds getting trolled into listening to K-pop for twenty hours

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don’t feel like I’m seeing it advertised any more heavily than Rise of the Ronin, or any other Sony second party releases.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Arist posted:

Was it really that long ago? Holy cow. Like I do remember it being announced as Project:ReFantasy, disappearing for like a whole console cycle at least, then resurfacing suddenly as a whole new concept in 2023, then disappearing for about a year again and very recently coming back into the limelight. It felt like it was announced more like 2020 somehow, but I guess my sense of the progression of events got hosed a little by covid.

JBP posted:

Lots of dumb chuds getting trolled into listening to K-pop for twenty hours

I mean at first I thought so too up until today hearing about the censorship tweet. That they are gonna slide off the game as it's not really for them, but now the whole "WOW SO UNCENSORED EVERYWHERE" marketing just had me wondering what other purpose or reason it could possibly exist other than as a dog whistle to them. Like is it for them and not really for me after all? In any case they seem to have very much heard it that way even if was just for Japan where it's the only other sort of reason I could see them just throwing that out there since they do have a history of harshly censoring gore and violence there. Like I really hope Sony/Shift Up didn't just dog whistle to the anti-woke oft extremely bigoted gamergate crowd that is always ranting and raving about censorship as a marketing gimmick.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 23, 2024

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

If it wasn’t for this thread I don’t think I would know anything about stellar blade besides the trailer I saw during one of the Sony streams.

incorporeal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 23, 2024

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The thing that kinda irritates me the most about SB right now is the director saying the game will be South Korea’s first big foray into console development and prove that SK can compete in that space.

Dude Lies of P and Dave the Diver both beat you last year.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm more interested in Crimson Desert anyhow.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

For me it's still all about Doke V.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

incorporeal posted:

If it wasn’t for this thread I don’t think I would know anything about stellar blade besides the trailer I saw during one of the Sony streams.

This for real

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

the only controversy about stellar blade I’ve seen anywhere is you guys talking about it all the time.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

To be fair though I don’t really look at much game discussions besides this forum. I follow a few YouTubers but none of them talk about whatever dumb culture war nonsense is happening.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

incorporeal posted:

To be fair though I don’t really look at much game discussions besides this forum. I follow a few YouTubers but none of them talk about whatever dumb culture war nonsense is happening.

this

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I really should play Persona 5 sometime. Every time I consider it I’m like ehhhhh 100 hour rpg, and then play another Farcry or Trails.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Persona 5 has like 40 hours of the some of my favorite JRPG combat of all time and 60 hours of the most boring chores and bloated dialogue.

It's not a great ratio but the combat really is so good. I hope Metaphor is paced better but I'm still in even if not.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

the only controversy about stellar blade I’ve seen anywhere is you guys talking about it all the time.

It's happening on the broader internet and in the comments under Sony's advertising. It's not fake.

To wit I found out about sweet baby inc through a PlayStation SB ad on Instagram.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, if you aren't running into it that's cool. But it just means you either aren't looking at any ads/articles related to the game or just never look at comments. Which sounds pretty healthy. Good job.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Bugblatter posted:

Atlas also streamed a long overview of the new game today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMO-eAwvvuY

That's the most PS Vita lookin' game I've seen in years. I think it's the palette sampled from Gravity Rush that really does it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Doesn't it have for-pay battlepasses?

Baggot posted:

Helldivers does have microtransactions but they’re optional. And it is 100% a live service game.

I though it didn't and people were getting mad about it. I must've gotten that shouting mixed up with the shouting Dragon's Dogma 2 was getting about the portcrystals.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

It's happening on the broader internet and in the comments under Sony's advertising. It's not fake.

Everything on the internet is fake

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goddamn the dogs in stalker are the worst. Every eurojank game has the worst dogs

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Bugblatter posted:

Persona 5 has like 40 hours of the some of my favorite JRPG combat of all time and 60 hours of the most boring chores and bloated dialogue.

It's not a great ratio but the combat really is so good. I hope Metaphor is paced better but I'm still in even if not.

Agreed on both the length and being in no matter what. I honestly enjoyed the social side of things of P5R even more than the combat but there is just SO MUCH OF EVERYTHING.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Started playing Sekiro again.

I was worried that playing years later I will recognize that other games surpassed it, but Sekiro seems to me like it hasn't aged a day: the tone, setting, and combat are as perfect as games will ever get IMO. I absolutely love that they mixed a semi-historical setting with From's brand of horror and weirdness and underlined it with that brooding, droning soundtrack, and to top it off they threw out almost all RPG stats and made one of the best combat systems around.

It also helps that it's available at rock solid 60 FPS (:bloodborne:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sekiro is still GOAT. None of the parry games that came after still haven't surpassed it.