Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

alansmithee posted:

I actually think this is one of the best Lovecraftian movies (not a very high bar, admittedly). Probably right below stuff like Re-Animator/From Beyond

I'd rank it just below In The Mouth of Madness, and maybe right above Necronomicon. I'm not sure, Necronomicon might be better.

I always try to do a run of Lovecraftian movies every October, and its usually not that hard if you're willing to stretch it a little bit. There's stuff that isn't based on any specific Lovecraft story but references him, like Evil Dead, Cabin in the Woods, and for a lighter option, Hellboy. Then there's plenty of movies that are heavily influenced by Lovecraft but don't make any specific references, like Event Horizon, Alien, Prometheus, The Mist, Under the Skin, The Thing, and Ghostbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Grnegsnspm posted:

Day 28 - Critters 2

I never saw the first Critters movie. In fact, the only exposure to the franchise I had up until this point was actually seeing about 5 minutes of Critters 2 about 18 years ago. I would normally joke about how not having seen the first movie means I’m going to be missing out on so much but this movie actually is a direct sequel and the first third of the film is mostly referencing the first movie. Unfortunately, this one wasn’t compelling enough to make me actually want to go back and watch the first film so I can know what I’m missing out on.

Full Review

2.5 out of 5

Sorry to hear this. I have the first two Critters films tucked away as an end-of-week double feature. I heard they were fun 80s comedy/action/horror things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sarchasm posted:

Sorry to hear this. I have the first two Critters films tucked away as an end-of-week double feature. I heard they were fun 80s comedy/action/horror things.

They are, in my view, especially 2.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Sarchasm posted:

Critters 1 is legit good (for what it is).

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Basebf555 posted:

I'd rank it just below In The Mouth of Madness, and maybe right above Necronomicon. I'm not sure, Necronomicon might be better.

I always try to do a run of Lovecraftian movies every October, and its usually not that hard if you're willing to stretch it a little bit. There's stuff that isn't based on any specific Lovecraft story but references him, like Evil Dead, Cabin in the Woods, and for a lighter option, Hellboy. Then there's plenty of movies that are heavily influenced by Lovecraft but don't make any specific references, like Event Horizon, Alien, Prometheus, The Mist, Under the Skin, The Thing, and Ghostbusters.

Don't forget The Curse starring Will Wheton.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Watrick posted:

I've been wanting to watch this, it's good to know that it's worth a watch.

Also, congrats on your 50!!!!

Thanks man, and yeah, Gyo pretty much gets every beat of the story in there. It's funny, it might be the most logical Ito story I've read, where all the over the top stuff is kinda a logical progression rather than a left field addition.

An Edit to prevent double posting:

#52. Curse of Chucky (2013)

Nica is a disabled woman frustratedly living with her mother. One day, rather mysteriously, a package arrives with no return address. Inside is the Chucky Doll we all know and love. I think we all know that yes, Chucky's alive and contains the mind and soul of serial killer Charles Lee Ray. He rather quickly offs the mother and makes it look like a suicide. The night before the funeral, Nica's sister and her family come to stay overnight with her. Innocently, enough, she gives her young niece the doll to play with. I think you can connect enough dots to see where this is going.

I'm one of those types that thinks the fourth and fifth Chucky movies are the best--The ones with Tiffany, played by Jennifer Tilly, with all the tongue-in-cheek comedy and ludicrousness. So I was hesitant going into this movie as apparently that humor isn't present here. And while I won't say it's COMPLETELY gone, it is true that this is mostly played serious. It mostly works for this one though. They play it fast and cheap, with low-tech practical effects most of the time (except for things like reflections or whatever). I was also extremely impressed by how much respect and true perspective is given towards the way abled characters treat the disabled protagonist. Kudos for that one. The film also spends a surprising amount of time referencing all five of the previous films in some way or another. For the full experience, note that the post-credits "stinger" which is a great scene furthering all that is I guess a part of the "unrated" cut, and not what you will find on Netflix. The stinger can be seen in full on Youtube however.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 29, 2015

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Monster Man (2003) -

Two of the most annoying characters ever are pursued by a disfigured guy driving a monster truck. What a piece of poo poo. Ugggggh.

:george:

Eyes Without A Face (1960) -

A unique horror film that holds up well. Convincingly gruesome for it's age.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 29, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day 28 - Just when I thought that nothing would ever justify the existence of found footage movies, Grave Encounters proved me wrong. I don't think it's a brilliant movie; it's a brilliant haunted house ride presented as a movie. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that in a horror film.

A group of paranormal investigators from a reality television show go to an abandoned asylum to shoot an episode. Turns out that this one really is haunted and the asylum itself is a malevolent force out to get all of them. Presumably the following week's episode would have been about the Overlook.

The Blair Witch Project had the same justification for filming everything: the terrifying footage was exactly the kind of thing they were out there to find. And in Grave Encounters it makes perfect sense to keep shooting once everything goes to hell because once you start getting proof of the supernatural, you shouldn't stop that camera for anything. It's not something that would work for every movie and I'd hate to see it overused (I don't know if I want to bother watching the sequel for this reason), but it works perfectly here.

The biggest problem in the film for me is that once things get obviously, supernaturally bad (not just, "Oh, this is really weird but it certainly isn't a nearly omnipotent evil force dicking us over because that would be crazy"), the characters seemed to forget their situation a lot. "Maybe this creepy thing won't try to do something horrible to us!" they keep saying. Or they keep forgetting that something supernatural is preventing them from getting out (not that they shouldn't try to get out, more that they keep getting surprised that it prevents them from getting out).

And once the spooks start coming out it's essentially just spooky encounter after spooky encounter. It's not enough to really hang a plot on but it's fun because those are all the cool bits of a horror movie anyway.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
47. John Carpenter's Vampires (1998)

A really great little western disguised as a horror movie. There are some cheesy lines, but the score is great and James woods is always fun to watch. This was the last John Carpenter movie I saw until The Ward. Probably should have stopped at Vampires.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

#126.The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). A group of people sort of run out of gas and are attacked by a cannibalistic family.

Often hailed as one of the most brutal movies ever, it just doesn't hold up as well as it used to. There really isn't much in terms of plot, which leaves the weight of the movie on the blood and gore, which there really isn't much of. While I feel this is essential viewing for anyone interested in horror, future watches are definitely context sensitive.

#127.Night of the Demons 2 (1994). 6 years after the events at Hull House a group of kids from Catholic School have a party there where Angela shows up and starts turning them into demons.

I love the first, and I love this one too. Surprisingly there aren't a ton of movies that take place on Halloween, luckily this is one of them. It's a bunch of horny teenagers getting into shenanigans, throwing out one liners, and getting killed. After this I'm really afraid of lipstick.

#128.Friday the 13th (1980). 22 years after some murders at Camp Crystal Lake, the camp is reopening. Before the camp opens, someone starts to kill the counsellors.

The first in a long franchise, Friday is an interesting beast. Two years after Halloween, this took an approach where the killer wasn't shown on screen. The POV would often be from the killers perspective while characters were conversing with it. It's a different movie than what came after.

#129.Suspiria (1977). An American dance student heads to Germany to study at a prestigious dance academy. When she arrives very strange things begin to happen.

This movie is pure magic. It's shot on location with stage lighting. Argento will use gels to cast vivid colors on rooms and areas. The story is grounded in reality, yet surreal. The acting is amazing too. Some characters act as if they're in a movie while others performances feel much more theatrical. This movie never gets old.

#130.Berberian Sound Studio (2012). A sound engineer gets a job working on an Italian horror movie. Weird poo poo happens.

I was really enjoying this at first. The sound design is impeccable, and I was enjoying the minimal plot. It falls in the 3rd act. I wasn't sure what was going on, I don't know if it's because I'm tired or what. The 3rd act also felt really anti-climatic, it felt like the plot turned to dust and blew away slowly.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#28 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Pretty much this;

Watrick posted:

#126.The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). A group of people sort of run out of gas and are attacked by a cannibalistic family.
Often hailed as one of the most brutal movies ever, it just doesn't hold up as well as it used to. There really isn't much in terms of plot, which leaves the weight of the movie on the blood and gore, which there really isn't much of. While I feel this is essential viewing for anyone interested in horror, future watches are definitely context sensitive.

While undoubtedly of great historical value it feels directionless until it the delightfully deranged dinner scene. That part is a joy too watch, but it is hard to shake the feeling that it is too little too late. Everything before that is empty, aimless and neither scary nor gory. Leatherface chasing the blonde girl through the woods goes on for so long it becomes a parody of itself.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
28. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948): this is Universal's last hurrah with their monster rally movies, and the respective properties within. The classic monsters had ceased to be scary years ago, so it only makes sense that they'd be cast as villains in an Abbott and Costello movie. The characters are all over exaggerated versions of themselves, and don't really seem true to character. But still, there's some funny gags throughout and the set pieces are a delight.

29. The Final Girls (2015): this is a self aware horror much in the vein of Scream or Cabin in the Woods, but in this case the characters get sucked into a movie that's just a thinly veiled Friday the 13th knockoff. This isn't too bad a movie, but you really aren't missing out on anything. It's pretty uneven, and the humor doesn't hit all too well. This probably would have benefitted from being made as an R movie rather than PG 13. It would have helped the fictional in-movie seem more authentic. The movies not terrible, but it's likely something that'll be forgotten within a few years.

30. Friday the 13th part 7: this is a rewatch, but it's been ages since I've seen it. This is the one that could be titled Jason vs Carrie. It's really nothing special, but it's a serviceable slasher. If you want to see horny teens get killed by Jason, you'll be satisfied. It's not great, but it meets the expectations for this series, especially after 7 entries.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Day 28 - Just when I thought that nothing would ever justify the existence of found footage movies, Grave Encounters proved me wrong. I don't think it's a brilliant movie; it's a brilliant haunted house ride presented as a movie. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that in a horror film.

A group of paranormal investigators from a reality television show go to an abandoned asylum to shoot an episode. Turns out that this one really is haunted and the asylum itself is a malevolent force out to get all of them. Presumably the following week's episode would have been about the Overlook.

The Blair Witch Project had the same justification for filming everything: the terrifying footage was exactly the kind of thing they were out there to find. And in Grave Encounters it makes perfect sense to keep shooting once everything goes to hell because once you start getting proof of the supernatural, you shouldn't stop that camera for anything. It's not something that would work for every movie and I'd hate to see it overused (I don't know if I want to bother watching the sequel for this reason), but it works perfectly here.

The biggest problem in the film for me is that once things get obviously, supernaturally bad (not just, "Oh, this is really weird but it certainly isn't a nearly omnipotent evil force dicking us over because that would be crazy"), the characters seemed to forget their situation a lot. "Maybe this creepy thing won't try to do something horrible to us!" they keep saying. Or they keep forgetting that something supernatural is preventing them from getting out (not that they shouldn't try to get out, more that they keep getting surprised that it prevents them from getting out).

And once the spooks start coming out it's essentially just spooky encounter after spooky encounter. It's not enough to really hang a plot on but it's fun because those are all the cool bits of a horror movie anyway.

Just a warning if you do watch the sequel--it's a VERY different film. It's first act serves to take the complete piss out of the first film, and most other found footage "true story" claimed movies. The second act kinda revisits a lot of what made the first film good, but then the third act gets right off the rails and is either seen as completely lame and stupid, or a hilarious satire of the whole genre, making fun of even itself. The two films are completely separate entities and should be treated thusly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
1. Psycho 2. Black Christmas 3. Deep Red 4. Wicker Man 5. The Mummy 6. The Curse of Frankenstein 7. Drag Me to Hell 8. Candyman 9. Child’s Play 10. Lords of Salem 11. Suspiria 12. Hellraiser 13. From Beyond 14. Evil Dead 15. Evil Dead II 16. Re-Animator 17. Necronomicon 18. The Wolfman 19. The Howling 20. An American Werewolf in London 21. Poltergeist 22. City of the Living Dead 23. Sleep Hollow 24. Curse of Chucky 25. Dracula(1931) 26. Horror of Dracula 27. Dracula(1973) 28. Dracula(1979) 29. Nosferatu The Vampyre 30. Frankenstein 31. Bride of Frankenstein 32. The Shining 33. Prince of Darkness 34. Body Bags 35. Creepshow 36.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

37. Creepshow 2

I think one of the reasons I enjoy Creepshow 2 more than most is because I really like all three segments. Most people say that the first story, "Old Chief Woodenhead" is the weakest, but I love it. The cigar store Indian coming to life is extremely well done, it looks and moves like its actually made of wood. I absolutely love the scene where it wakes up and puts on the war paint, then lets loose this awesome war cry. The first time it furrows its brow is also a pretty cool moment.

The Raft is The Raft, everyone here knows it kicks rear end. This kinda poo poo traumatized me as a kid, The Blob remake has a lot of similar effects. The final joke once the last man standing makes it to shore is guaranteed to get a laugh out of you, I suppose its mean spirited but the dude did just prove that he's a pervy borderline rapist so whatever.

As for The Hitchhiker, I never remember how brutal it is. The guy reminds me of the friend from American Werewolf in London who decays over the course of the movie. He gets more and more disgusting as the story goes on, and by the end there's no real human face left. Somehow the story is still hilarious though, due to the hitchhiker's "THANKS FOR THE RIDE LADY" mantra. The situation is just so absurd you can't help but laugh.

Its disappointing that it was decided to go from five stories to three, that's the only criticism I have.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

#53. Black Devil Doll From Hell (1984)

A devout, church-going, bible-thumping woman buys a mysterious ventriloquist dummy from a second-hand shop that the store owner claims has magical powers to grant your heart's desire. Then she starts having salacious dreams once the puppet is in her home. Then the puppet comes to life and rapes her. Then it's gone, and she's left wanting more. She brings men into her bed but is unhappy, dreaming only of the puppet. Then it becomes her quest to find it again, which is more dangerous than she realizes.

This is a movie I've heard talked about back and forth by many in the horror and b-movie circles. It's about as low budget as you can get, shot on home video with terrible acting and sound design. There's practically no plot, and what's there is 100% in my summary. The opening and closing credits seem to add almost 15 minutes of run time while terrible garage rock plays over them. This is a curiosity and nothing more, a footnote in horror history. Avoid.

0 out of 5

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wake up bitch!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#28. C.H.U.D. II - Bud The C.H.U.D. (1989). I've only seen the original C.H.U.D. a couple of times, but I really like it. This one doesn't really have any of the charm or energy of the original, and might as well not be in the same series. Some military links and people-chomping are the main things it has in common with C.H.U.D. 1, tied to an under-cooked '80s teen comedy that really doesn't earn its R rating. It's a pretty weak comedy too, mostly flat with a few good gags and an embarrassingly obvious dub of "Bitchin' costumes!" into a child's dialogue. Kind of like if you took Night of the Creeps and just dropped it several notches on every aspect. It was something of a bummer seeing Gerritt Graham (whose performance in Phantom of the Paradise I quite enjoy) reduced to wordlessness for most of the movie, and while it did seem like he was trying to project with his physicality, the script around him wasn't giving him much with which to work. Top props go to the costumer, I guess. 5/10.

#29. Jason X (2001). Well, this was a step up from Jason Goes to Hell, at least. And it looks drat good, very glossy and fairly imaginative with some of the sets. Whether that really fits with the F13 aesthetic gets swept under the rug by most of the film taking place in 2455 A.D., luckily. A deeper level of characterization than usual for the series (which isn't saying much), and a few twists on the average low-effort space setting (I liked how defrosted cryo people were old hat, for example). Some cute nods to past entries, the holo-deck scene was amusing (but it did make me wonder why the constructs were programmed to die instead of keeping Jason occupied indefinitely), and the highest kill count of any F13, assuming the space station was populated. About as good as could be hoped for with the concept 'Jason in space,' and I'd place it above both Leprechaun 4: In Space and Hellraiser: Bloodline for doing what it does. Plus, a David Cronenberg appearance, nanobots, a sexbot who gets programmed with space kung fu, a space machete (with holes in the blade to show that it's the future), and future fashion where no non-robot woman can wear a full one-piece shirt. 5/10.

#30. Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977). This one surpassed my expectations. Sure, it had a lot of problems, but for being a horror movie built on a killer bed, there was some interesting stuff going on. There's a gothic romance buried in there, an artist trapped in his painting and forced to watch his killer continue to kill, a few things that can be taken as lesbian undertones to contrast with the destructive hetero demonism, and a guy trying to stay stable as he watches his acid-stripped hands slowly fall apart. Plus, music by Cyclobe, which was a shock to see in the credits. But a lot of the scenes drag on so long that it drops the tension, even when someone's trying to escape with their life, and shots of things being dissolved/consumed by the bed's acid interior are used so often that it turns into comedy (kind of impressive, considering it starts this habit by knocking back an apple, a bottle of wine, and a bucket of fried chicken, and moves from there to people). Maybe a trim job by a good editor could have stepped it up a bit, but while the slow burn quality fits with the material, it's just a little too sleepy, even for a film about a bed. 4/10.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I have a pocket theory that some time early in the script process CHUD 2 started as a Return of the Living Dead sequel. It has MUCH more to do thematically with the Return franchise than it does with the first CHUD film.

Also, fun fact about Jason X, the scummy teacher guy in the main group that doesn't last long? He's the voice of Link from the old Zelda cartoon. I used to work with his cousin (rest in peace). And she would tell me how at family gatherings he'd totally say "Well Excuuuuuse me, princess!" all the time.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Now that you mention it, it's pretty easy to imagine it was a retooled RotLD sequel the way the zombies stay human-ish while retaining some intelligence and speech. No idea how much even one C.H.U.D. costume would cost, but I doubt the series was big enough even at its peak for the studio to care about backlash when they knocked that off the budget.

Neat anecdote on the professor's actor, odd that he didn't get a reference to that in JX.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Also the whole movie is filled with RotLD touchstones--crazy military hawk fruitlessly searching for the monsters, comedy, subversion of the 50s teen movie, electricity to fry the zombies--which are infectious, etc etc.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Darthemed posted:

#27. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993). Woof, this was terrible.

I remember catching this on an opening night and when the guy started to eat the heart, somebody in the theatre shouted out "WHAT THE gently caress?!?" and from that point on that palpable "what are we forcing ourselves to sit through?" sense exited the whole theatre and fun was had.

I'm normally dead set against people trying to "riff" a film unless that person is literally a cast member of MST3K, but this movie for me will forever be the film where that was perfectly OK.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If you still remember, how was the audience taking the military sting and ton o' guns blowing Jason apart?

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarian 2: Electric Boogaloo
Day 29 - Infini

Last podcast review for the Horrortoberfest. We both kind of hated this movie. Sound quality was such that we had to turn the captions on just so we could tell what they were saying. All of the characters were flat and boring and you could barely tell several of them apart given that their defining characteristics were "Soldier that is white". Several characters appear just to vanish into the ether and have no effect on anything. Also the movie doesn't bother to explain a lot so much of the beginning of the movie is a confusing mess. It really wants to be 28 Days Later meets The Thing but ends up being a poorly represented drug trip in space.

Full Review

2 out of 10.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Everyone saying they don't think Texas Chainsaw holds up...incorrect

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yea I don't get it either. I watched it this week and its just as gross and uncomfortable to watch as its always been. Maybe not quite as scary as it once was, but just as effective at making you squirm.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hat Thoughts posted:

It holds up better than the loving remake, which was crap 10 minutes after being released.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Someone should make an edit of Jason Goes to Hell that is literally just that opening scene and credits and present it to someone who's never seen Jason Goes to Hell.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It holds up better than the loving remake, which was crap 10 minutes after being released.

You're being generous with 10 minutes.

I think TCM holds up, just as not as well as it used to.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

#54. Sadako (2012)

Hey, remember Sadako from Ringu? She remembers you! The death of VHS kinda made her less wide-spread. But she starts a comeback when a young artist who worships her image hosts a webcast of himself succumbing to her curse, combining powers with her to create a new sort of curse over viral video sites that appears to be looking for someone specific out there. As teenagers start to die from watching the new video, some police detectives, and Akane, a young high school teacher who secretly possesses some latent psychic powers (just like Sadako) both begin investigating the case. Turns out Akane however, is exactly who Sadako's looking for...

This was just an alright film. I used to be a huge Ringu nerd, so it's nice to see that more has been done with the franchise. Apparently this is part one of two (which explains the utter non-ending to the film), and is actually adapted from a newer book by author Koji Suzuki I didn't know existed. I wonder what the book is like, considering the three main Ringu books go in some pretty unexpected directions explaining what Sadako is. Also, I kinda liked that this movie made a major gear-shift for its third act. The one thing that was absolutely ridiculous was that this was filmed in 3D, and there are a LOT of effects that just absolutely do not work on my 2D television, and are almost laughable. Nonetheless, if you too are a Ringu nerd, check this one out.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Watrick posted:

You're being generous with 10 minutes.

I think TCM holds up, just as not as well as it used to.

I just strongly disagree bcuz I saw it for the first time, like, sometime within a year and it totally overwhelmed me.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I just strongly disagree bcuz I saw it for the first time, like, sometime within a year and it totally overwhelmed me.

Oh yeah, I can totally see that. I've seen it so many times I've lost count.

Be happy that it overwhelmed you, you're lucky.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

#54. Sadako (2012)

Hey, remember Sadako from Ringu? She remembers you! The death of VHS kinda made her less wide-spread. But she starts a comeback when a young artist who worships her image hosts a webcast of himself succumbing to her curse, combining powers with her to create a new sort of curse over viral video sites that appears to be looking for someone specific out there.

I knew that niconico's terribleness had to be the result of a curse!

Day 29 - I started watching A Field In England but after ten minutes it wore me down to the point that I just stopped and looked for something more goofy to watch. Maybe there's a decent film buried under the super-cheap production and droning dialog but I'm not finding out this month. Instead I cast around for a few minutes and selected The Houses October Built mainly on the stupid description and and goofy picture Netflix had up for it. And I definitely got a stupid, lovely movie.

So five people that film assures me are friends and not just an assortment of bad actors decide to go on a road trip to search for the ultimate haunted house. That's haunted house like the ones you pay ten bucks to go into during October and have a teenager with bad make up jump out at you. After a series of escalating encounters with people who may or may not work at some of these haunted houses, they follow a trail of clues to the ultimate scary experience.

So right after I praised Grave Encounters for doing fun things with the found footage genre and essentially being a haunted house carnival ride I watch this film which does everything wrong as it's nominally about haunted house carnival rides. This is a found footage movie and they make a point that they decide to video tape everything and that includes apparently twenty hours of nothing happening so they can catch that ten seconds where something does. There isn't even a justification for this. The film would have been significantly better without the found footage gimmick, but then they wouldn't have an excuse for the incompetent cinematography and editing.

The best thing about The Houses October Built is that the set up is actually kind of creepy. Being stalked and harassed by carnies who are determined to gently caress with you is a decent starting point. But it's wasted on this no atmosphere film.

There was one other big thing that bothered me about this movie. There was a really awkward obsession with sexually assaulting the main female character, the only woman on the road trip. It just gets really skeevy.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
48. The Strangers (2008)

The first two times I saw this movie, I watched it under ideal conditions. I was by myself. It was dark out and the lights were off inside. I wasn't on my laptop or checking my phone. I was just watching the movie, and both times I had to pause it halfway through to give my racing heart a break. I don't have to pause it halfway through anymore, though. I watch it with the lights on.

49. Halloween II (2009)

I am a huge fan of John Carpenter's Halloween. I waffle on all of the sequels (some of them are downright terrible). I'm lukewarm on Rob Zombie's Halloween. But Rob Zombie's Halloween II is a masterpiece. It is a haunting look at how someone's life would change after all of their friends and family were murdered by an insane man who they then shot in the head. Rob Zombie's trademark dirty redneck style is still very much here, but it actually feels like it fits the subject matter this time. The film is gorgeous looking in a very dingy, low-fi, sickly way. The acting is decent, the script is largely well-written, and the effects are brutal and plenty.

Not all is well, though. The film slips into moments of pretentious nonsense from time to time. White horse my rear end. Still, the terror and sadness in this movie is unmatched. Screw the naysayers. This is a fantastic film.

edit: I should specify that this is specific to the Director's Cut of the film.

50. Demons (1985)

This movie is a blast. The climax needs to be seen to be believed.

Topper Harley fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 30, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I knew that niconico's terribleness had to be the result of a curse!

Day 29 - I started watching A Field In England but after ten minutes it wore me down to the point that I just stopped and looked for something more goofy to watch. Maybe there's a decent film buried under the super-cheap production and droning dialog but I'm not finding out this month. Instead I cast around for a few minutes and selected The Houses October Built mainly on the stupid description and and goofy picture Netflix had up for it. And I definitely got a stupid, lovely movie.

So five people that film assures me are friends and not just an assortment of bad actors decide to go on a road trip to search for the ultimate haunted house. That's haunted house like the ones you pay ten bucks to go into during October and have a teenager with bad make up jump out at you. After a series of escalating encounters with people who may or may not work at some of these haunted houses, they follow a trail of clues to the ultimate scary experience.

So right after I praised Grave Encounters for doing fun things with the found footage genre and essentially being a haunted house carnival ride I watch this film which does everything wrong as it's nominally about haunted house carnival rides. This is a found footage movie and they make a point that they decide to video tape everything and that includes apparently twenty hours of nothing happening so they can catch that ten seconds where something does. There isn't even a justification for this. The film would have been significantly better without the found footage gimmick, but then they wouldn't have an excuse for the incompetent cinematography and editing.

The best thing about The Houses October Built is that the set up is actually kind of creepy. Being stalked and harassed by carnies who are determined to gently caress with you is a decent starting point. But it's wasted on this no atmosphere film.

There was one other big thing that bothered me about this movie. There was a really awkward obsession with sexually assaulting the main female character, the only woman on the road trip. It just gets really skeevy.

I agree with everything here about the film.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

#131.Poltergeist (1982). A family's home becomes haunted, and their daughter disappears.

You have Hooper directing a Speilberg script, what can go wrong? Not a gooddamn thing. This movie has held up so well. All the components work like clockwork, which is probably this movie's biggest strength. The actors are top notch, the story is fantastic, and effects are outstanding, and the music is catchy and fitting for every scene. What I think this movie does that is drat hard to do is to balance touching moments with horrific ones. In many respects this feels like the archetypal family. They're loving, silly, and caring. Also, they stoners.

#132.Re-Animator (1985). A doctor who is experimenting on a drug that allows revival of deceased bodies, goes to a new school to continue his research.

Want to see how to do an adaption of a Lovecraft story? Watch this. It's set up as almost a "bro" med school story, but throws in that Lovecrafitan goodness, giving it a lovely flavor. It's gory, funny, and well shot.

#133.The Stendhal Syndrome (1996). A police offer is tracking a serial rapist/killer it Italy. She has a disorder called the Stendhal Syndrome which causes her to pass out around works of art. Too bad she goes to a lot of museums to track him and there is usually art all around her.

A mix of slasher, stalker, and descent into madness Stendhal Syndrome is a dark movie. I consider this Argento's last good flick. It's quite brutal with the amount of rape in it, so watch out for that.

#134.Tales from the Darkside (1990). An anthology about a mummy, a demonic cat, and a man who makes a promise to a monster.

These all were pretty good. The mummy story was fun, the cat story was gory, and the monster story was sad and tragic. The last was my favorite and I thought it was original until someone in one of the horror threads corrected that. The wraparound story worked well too. It was simple and effective.

#135.The Gore-Gore Girls (1972). A reporter and detective investigates the murders of strippers.

This is a Hershelk Gordon Lewis flick, so you should know what you're getting into. It's a lot of overly gory kills, lots of sleazy people, and strippers. The kills are drat fun.

#136.Society (1989). Bill suspects that everything is not right with is extremely wealthy family, but then again, Bill has some serious mental health issues.

Brian Yazuna's directorial debut! Just watch this flick. The less you know, the better.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

20. Documenting The Grey Man 1/10

Amateur flick that looks like it was filmed with a potato, featuring "actors" stumbling through improvised dialogue until the "story" is over and the credits roll.

21. Dark Water (2005) 5.5/10

I love the unexplained mysteries thread and, through it, discovered the story of Elisa Lam. After reading some articles and watching some YouTube videos about the incident, I saw that several people noted the coincidental similarities to the movie Dark Water. This is the American remake of a 2002 Japanese horror film that was, in turn, based on a short story. Overall, the story of Elisa Lam is far more interesting. This film isn't bad at all, it's just standard. Worth it to watch Pete Postlethwaite as a crabby superintendent.

I fell behind a bit, but I'm still happy with watching 21 movies in October that I hadn't seen before. I'm going to try to squeeze a couple more in before the 1st.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think I was the one who pointed out the one Tales From The Darkside story was unoriginal. I was impressed by it for years until I saw Kwaidan then got really depressed. Cause it totally is the same story as one of the ones in that one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I agree with everything here about the film.

One more thing about The Houses That October Built: the writers and director are also the stars of the film. That's always a bad sign in a horror movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
1. Psycho 2. Black Christmas 3. Deep Red 4. Wicker Man 5. The Mummy 6. The Curse of Frankenstein 7. Drag Me to Hell 8. Candyman 9. Child’s Play 10. Lords of Salem 11. Suspiria 12. Hellraiser 13. From Beyond 14. Evil Dead 15. Evil Dead II 16. Re-Animator 17. Necronomicon 18. The Wolfman 19. The Howling 20. An American Werewolf in London 21. Poltergeist 22. City of the Living Dead 23. Sleep Hollow 24. Curse of Chucky 25. Dracula(1931) 26. Horror of Dracula 27. Dracula(1973) 28. Dracula(1979) 29. Nosferatu The Vampyre 30. Frankenstein 31. Bride of Frankenstein 32. The Shining 33. Prince of Darkness 34. Body Bags 35. Creepshow 36.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 37. Creepshow 2

38. The Fog

Maybe this is a controversial opinion but this is my favorite Carpenter film, and in my opinion its the best looking film he ever shot.

Its funny, I had this thought while watching it this time that it has an almost British feel to it, Antonio Bay looks a lot like SummerIsle from The Wicker Man. Sure enough, I watched some interviews about the making of the movie and Carpenter says he got the idea when he was at Stonehenge with Debra Hill, the fog around the area looked supernatural to him.

The fog itself is used perfectly, and I love the fact that this is an old fashioned ghost pirate story. Its great that after Halloween Carpenter and Hill basically had a free pass to make anything they wanted, and this is what they chose to do. A good amount of my respect for Carpenter as a filmmaker comes from this film, the restraint he uses in building up suspense and then paying it off in just the right way is amazing.

Its a great cast, maybe the best ensemble cast Carpenter ever put together. Hal Holbrook and Adrienne Barbeau are the heart and soul of the film, but seeing Jamie Leigh Curtis and her mother in the same movie is a lot of fun, and Tom Atkins is his usual self.

The Fog is one of the very few horror movies that scared me as an adult, even though I had never seen it as a kid. On first viewing the scenes where the fog comes knocking on people's doors were unbearably tense, especially the one towards the end. We've seen exactly what happens in these situations a few times earlier in the film, but this time its a young child and his elderly babysitter in peril.

If you're a casual fan of Carpenter and haven't delved deeper into his work than maybe Halloween and The Thing, please stop loving around and check out The Fog immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#31. Dr. Giggles (1992). My expectations weren't too high for this one, but it was kind of fun. It was a movie that knew how goofy its premise was, and went with it good-naturedly instead of fighting it. Larry Drake put in a pretty snappy performance as the title character, delivering every doctor/surgery-related groaner the writers could devise with a nice crazy edge (and the giggling), and while the main girl's character was pretty flat apart from her heart condition, she and the even flatter boyfriend were likable enough to pass as the survivors (along with Cliff De Young as the dad). And hey, Doug E. Doug as a dopey teen.

Kind of reminded me of The Dentist 2 with the asylum break-out and occupation-based killing, Milo with the showdown in the home of the doctor-father, Child's Play 3 with the trip to a carnival (though the hall of mirrors made for more interesting scenes than the gigantic indoors roller-coaster), Jason Goes to Hell with the home of a killer and their son just sitting around in town (though this one got vandalized), and Nightmare on Elm Street with the nursery rhyme about a home-town killer, but generally better than all of those aside from NoES. Given how Drake's character in Darkman came back from the dead, it seems like this could have earned a sequel if reception had been hot enough, but it's still ripe for a lovely remake at some point. 6/10.

• Locked thread