Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Flesnolk posted:

ozeki kawazoe when

Maybe 2024 if he stays healthy and keeps the wins coming?

*edit*
Oh poo poo I didn’t know salt bae had diabetes. Maybe it’s best for his health if he retires? :smith:

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Bentai posted:

Maybe 2024 if he stays healthy and keeps the wins coming?

*edit*
Oh poo poo I didn’t know salt bae had diabetes. Maybe it’s best for his health if he retires? :smith:

Retiring from sumo would probably be to everyone's health benefit, but the number one guy in the sport got to that spot despite dealing with diabetes, so hopefully Terutsuyoshi can get it under control and get back to his winning ways before having to hang up his belt. But yeah, I didn't know another top-division Teru had it, either. Isegahama stable might need to renew their recipes.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Nativity In Black posted:

This video is one of the things that got me into sumo and made me an instant Tochi fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RVTLgT7K6A

Just all these clips of the dude overpowering massive men, setting them outside the ring, making sure they don't fall. Wholesome sumo.

I got curious after reading these posts about Tochinoshin and looked up the records for tsuridashi (winning by lift-out) in the sumo database. Turns out it used to be a fair bit more common, so you have to scroll for a while to reach Tochinoshin's 25 victories.

The unquestioned leader in tsuridashi was Myobudani, active from 1954 to 1969. On the lighter end of sumo wrestlers at 6'2" and 250 pounds, he had a fairly successful career in the upper echelon of makuuchi, topping out at sekiwake and securing four jun-yusho. He won no fewer than 191 sekitori matches by tsuridashi, making it his most common winning technique and more than a third of his victories. Also, he was a real hunk.

Most Youtube videos of him feature tsuridashi victories, unsurprisingly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzCSskQruGE

One of the wrestlers most often on the wrong end of the carry was Narutoumi, active from 1942 to 1961. Standing 6'0" and weighing in at 198 lbs, the majority of his career was in the bottom half of makuuchi, where he lost 40 bouts by tsuridashi. (By comparison, the lightest current sekitori, Enho, is 5'6" and 220 lbs.) Narutoumi only won by tsuridashi a single time, shortly before retiring to avoid relegation to makushita, when he used the technique to defeat up-and-comer Myobudani in July 1960.

Here he is wrestling Kagamisato, the 42nd yokozuna.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPuuNOXqkHo

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Winter Stormer posted:

Tsuridashi and Myobudani

This is an awesome post, thanks for this. My fiancee and I agree, Myobudani is a total smokeshow.

e: holy poo poo, he's still alive at 85. Also he converted to be Jehovah's witness, which is why he left the sumo association (can't do martial arts). What a guy.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 10, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Having a technique other than yorikiri or oshidashi as the most used kimarite is really unusual!

Great post.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I'm sure this has been answered before but who is the king of henkas?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

I'm sure this has been answered before but who is the king of henkas?

Might be tricky, because the henka bit isn't recorded, just the actual technique.

I had a look at the king of hatakikomi, because that's what most henkas will probably be recorded as, and it could be Masudayama who had 179 wins from hatakikomi, 41 more than number two.

Aminishiki, who you'd think might be henka king, only has 96.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Elissimpark posted:

Might be tricky, because the henka bit isn't recorded, just the actual technique.

I had a look at the king of hatakikomi, because that's what most henkas will probably be recorded as, and it could be Masudayama who had 179 wins from hatakikomi, 41 more than number two.

Aminishiki, who you'd think might be henka king, only has 96.

that's awesome. i didn't even consider henka not being listed as the actual winning move and you still provided extremely interesting stuff. salute.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I’m more shocked by the beard on that gyoji, ngl. frickin santa claus out here yelling hakkeyoi. fantastic.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ullerrm posted:

I’m more shocked by the beard on that gyoji, ngl. frickin santa claus out here yelling hakkeyoi. fantastic.

I wish I could remember the name of the dude*, but if memory serves, he had an allergy or some skin condition that prevented him shaving. Gyoji are supposed to be clean shaven.

*yes, I know it technically would be Kimura Shonosuke, but you know what I mean.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Winter Stormer posted:

I got curious after reading these posts about Tochinoshin and looked up the records for tsuridashi (winning by lift-out) in the sumo database. Turns out it used to be a fair bit more common, so you have to scroll for a while to reach Tochinoshin's 25 victories.

The unquestioned leader in tsuridashi was Myobudani, active from 1954 to 1969. On the lighter end of sumo wrestlers at 6'2" and 250 pounds, he had a fairly successful career in the upper echelon of makuuchi, topping out at sekiwake and securing four jun-yusho. He won no fewer than 191 sekitori matches by tsuridashi, making it his most common winning technique and more than a third of his victories. Also, he was a real hunk.

Most Youtube videos of him feature tsuridashi victories, unsurprisingly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzCSskQruGE

One of the wrestlers most often on the wrong end of the carry was Narutoumi, active from 1942 to 1961. Standing 6'0" and weighing in at 198 lbs, the majority of his career was in the bottom half of makuuchi, where he lost 40 bouts by tsuridashi. (By comparison, the lightest current sekitori, Enho, is 5'6" and 220 lbs.) Narutoumi only won by tsuridashi a single time, shortly before retiring to avoid relegation to makushita, when he used the technique to defeat up-and-comer Myobudani in July 1960.

Here he is wrestling Kagamisato, the 42nd yokozuna.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPuuNOXqkHo

yo this channel is really good.

Here is some stuff from 2004, featuring Ama aka Harumafuji, Hakuho, Kisenosato, and of course Asashoryu.

3 future Yokozunas at a fairly small size and young age already tearing it up is fun to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgMpP4pH0y4

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yeah this is amazing, it's not hi-def or anything but it's by far the least-artifacted version of the pre-Kintamayama 00's bashos i've seen, hope they have more to upload!

(For comparison, here's the current best-quality versions of the Hakuho-Asashoryu bouts that decided Haru 2007.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cret-HTVRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF4nIdi8w8I

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ullerrm posted:

my hypothetical rikishi avatar for fantasy has a gimmick where after the match regardless of whether he won or lost or what the question was, he'd respond with a review of the gyoji's 'hakkeyoi', assessing the volume, conviction, and how much fighting spirit he felt flow through him. the old men hate this.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I loving love Hakuho.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

I have been posting on these dead forums for nearly twenty years, and watching sumo for nearly thirty, and only just discovered this thread thanks to Jeffrey of YOSPOS's forums update. Incredible scenes. Now I have a whole back catalogue to catch up on. I'm so happy.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Welcome to the sumo thread! Hatsu is just around the corner, if you think about it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

In semi-scandal news, Terutsuyoshi was photographed out and about after calling in sick to the last regional tour and a tabloid got ahold of it. Apparently it’s already been dealt with in the stable, but they promised a follow up story, this is it.

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1600765847349628928?s=61&t=rGX0JtltrK6i10z4hG3JLg

The marriage is nice but the diabetes is very bad news

I remember that story from a while back about a young ex-sumo dying extremely horribly and slowly of diabetes. It was horrifying.

Between that and the constant concussions they really need some aftercare for these guys otherwise theyr dooming a lot of them to some very nasty fates.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah, the average life expectancy for a rikishi is about 65, I think. Compared to the Japanese average, it's pretty scary.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Kenning posted:

Welcome to the sumo thread! Hatsu is just around the corner, if you think about it.

Good times. I'm a bit behind on the news - I missed most of the November basho because I was caught up in work but I was pleased to Abi take the yusho, he always looks so cheerful to be in the dohyo, like someone just gave him a pack of his favourite sweeties.

Is Tochinoshin still somehow petitioning the gods of cruciate ligaments to let him eke out just one more tournament?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Good times. I'm a bit behind on the news - I missed most of the November basho because I was caught up in work but I was pleased to Abi take the yusho, he always looks so cheerful to be in the dohyo, like someone just gave him a pack of his favourite sweeties.

Is Tochinoshin still somehow petitioning the gods of cruciate ligaments to let him eke out just one more tournament?

Yeah, he's actually been at M8 for 3 basho in a row and will finally be demoted a bit this time

I still feel like he's more than capable of pulling out an 8-7 from M10 or wherever he ends up, I do wonder what his thoughts are on continuing once he drops to Juryo, Gagamaru hung around there for a while but he wasn't a former Ozeki so it's a bit different.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The official sumo channel has footage of Asahishō's retirement ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8JsHBAiSDo

The interaction between him and his wife at 1:40 is just :3:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Apraxin posted:

The only actual tournament in Kansai is in March each year, but the schedule for the winter Jungyo, which is like an official regional tour where most wrestlers will be present and performing exhibition matches for the public, says that they'll have events in Hirakata and Nagaokakyo, which are located between Osaka and Kyoto on 12/12 and 12/13 respectively:

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnJungyo/schedule/

edit: this is from a few years ago, but gives a good overview of what a jungyo event looks like: https://tachiai.org/2018/07/26/introduction-to-the-jungyo/
don't know if tildes got to see this or not (or if they're going to the Kyoto event), but here's some highlights from the first Jungyo in Osaka in 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCzK9cZMkqo

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Brut posted:

Yeah, he's actually been at M8 for 3 basho in a row and will finally be demoted a bit this time

I still feel like he's more than capable of pulling out an 8-7 from M10 or wherever he ends up, I do wonder what his thoughts are on continuing once he drops to Juryo, Gagamaru hung around there for a while but he wasn't a former Ozeki so it's a bit different.

It's such a shame his knees are so shot, his sumo was always entertaining even if it was a bit of a one-trick kimarite style. I'd have liked to have seen him spend more time as Ozeki but it seems to be a cursed rank.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l206kqgHPGY

Sumo Prime Time rolling around Ryogoku with Kaisei

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

verbal enema posted:

I want to visit Ryogoku so bad now. That souvenir shop looks so cool!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

net work error posted:

I want to visit Ryogoku so bad now. That souvenir shop looks so cool!

I'd love to spend an afternoon there, maybe get some of that chankonabe.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I want real chankonabe so bad

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

verbal enema posted:

Man even when I had tickets to the tournament I didn't explore even 1/10th of that area apparently. Absolutely want to go back and look at all the fun stuff.

I remember it being kind of a typical nondescript neighbourhood except it has the kokugikan, edo-tokyo museum, and that awesome ryogoku jr station. Everything else I kind of glazed over, which I now feel really sad about.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I love Hiro's quiet oh my god as he recovered off camera.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

verbal enema posted:

I want real chankonabe so bad

Apparently it tastes rank because it's a functional dish with very little seasoning designed to bulk rather than be delicious. I was as surprised as you are when I learned this.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lid posted:

Apparently it tastes rank because it's a functional dish with very little seasoning designed to bulk rather than be delicious. I was as surprised as you are when I learned this.

balls

https://twitter.com/HakuhoSho69/status/1603234255827451905?s=20&t=oyp88pBQsaBmNffX7mtp-A

what?!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Presumably that's a typo and he meant to write Sumo Manga and not Manga Manga, but uh yeah, interesting.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yokozuna's Fate sounds much more dramatic than the reality of ushering people and selling souvenirs at Basho.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

NJPW wrestle kingdom (early January) is going to allow cheering. Maybe we will hear sumo fans cheering again soon?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I asked earlier about sumo tickets, and someone quoted me this:

Brut posted:

Jason (of Jason's sumo channel) speaks highly of the guy who runs https://www.buysumotickets.com/ , I think the earlier you email and ask about it the more availability there is, so I'd send an email and see what he says, especially if you want good seats.

Edit: More specifically, you probably wanna have things figured out before February 13th as that's when the official sale of March tickets begins this year. Side note apparently they also help with tickets for other stuff like wrestling/Rizin/ONE.

We get into Osaka on the 26th, which is the last day for the March basho; would we be wildly unlikely to get tickets for that day?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I asked earlier about sumo tickets, and someone quoted me this:

We get into Osaka on the 26th, which is the last day for the March basho; would we be wildly unlikely to get tickets for that day?

Might cost a bit more (might not) but I doubt there would be nothing available as long as you're not asking last minute, even if we were talking about one of the Tokyo basho, but especially the others.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

all i can say is that buysumotickets works very well. i used it for three pro wrestling shows in 2019. they email you a voucher you can redeem at any 7-11. if youv’ve never been to japan before you want to familiarize yourself with 7/11’s anyway as their atms work well with foreign debit cards as opposed to many others

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Lid posted:

Anyone in here ever try making it and have tips for making it taste better?

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

It's basically a hot pot style soup, I think that there's as many recipes for it as people who have cooked it. I think that meatballs are a bit of a defining characteristic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And only chicken, which are two-legged, because you only want to have two legs on the ground and not four legs extremities.

e: I'm guessing duck is okay, too, but maybe not as easy to source in that kind of bulk.