Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

spechtie posted:

agreed, but if your employer starts giving it to you to keep your productivity up something is very wrong.

stiffs holding the yay and trying to pass k around to the dweebs. disrespectful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oh hell no

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The ketamine sold legally - esketamine - is an enantiopure version rather than the racemic mixture of the two different stereoisomers of the chemical that you get from regular ketamine synthesis. It's more powerful and probably has different effects than the street poo poo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Boy am I glad I'm not a gamma

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tokin opposition posted:

I keep meaning to look into it, can I ask how much of a pain in the rear end it is to get it?

for me it was just a referral for treatment-resistant depression to a local clinic and an assessment. the hard part, unfortunately, is the cost (at least in Canada)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Failed Imagineer posted:

The ketamine sold legally - esketamine - is an enantiopure version rather than the racemic mixture of the two different stereoisomers of the chemical that you get from regular ketamine synthesis. It's more powerful and probably has different effects than the street poo poo.

regular, anaesthetic ketamine is also sold legally and used as infusion, and the data indicates that it’s more effective for more people than esketamine, plus it’s cheap as hell

but esketamine is patented and therefore did the full trials for depression treatment, so it’s on-label and therefore more likely to be covered by insurance

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

regular, anaesthetic ketamine is also sold legally and used as infusion, and the data indicates that it’s more effective for more people than esketamine, plus it’s cheap as hell

but esketamine is patented and therefore did the full trials for depression treatment, so it’s on-label and therefore more likely to be covered by insurance

Depends on who wins the cage match of "the guy who denies insurance claims for name-brand drugs" vs "the guy who denies insurance claims for off-label use".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

Depends on who wins the cage match of "the guy who denies insurance claims for name-brand drugs" vs "the guy who denies insurance claims for off-label use".

is that your experience with this? everything I’ve heard is that esketamine is much much easier to get insurance coverage for in both the US and Canada at least

there’s no generic of esketamine to offer instead, right?

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

that's a nudey booth

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Does it have a lock? Because I can definitely nap/post/wank in there

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Without the first picture I would have assumed that this was the bulky trash pickup room of an apartment building.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

is that your experience with this? everything I’ve heard is that esketamine is much much easier to get insurance coverage for in both the US and Canada at least

there’s no generic of esketamine to offer instead, right?

I don't have any experience trying to get ketamine but it's 100% been my experience with other drugs psychiatrists have tried to prescribe either off-label or that didn't have a generic. Definitely varies by insurance company though, from "your doctor needs to sign a thing and send it back and we'll approve it, the whole process takes like two days and you don't need to do anything" to "you need to go back and try several other drugs and treatments first and document how each one fucks you up before we'll approve this, and even though you're already on it for that exact reason and have been for years that doesn't count because that was with your old insurance company, go gently caress yourself"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We were at a museum recently and gettin' a little tired from walking around so much, so we found a nice little room off to the side labeled "relaxation / decompression room" or something like that, that had a nice couch and subdued lights, so we went in and sat on the big comfy couch and relaxed for a bit thinking oh this is great, why don't more places have this. Then I noticed it had a box of simple toys and children's books behind the couch and thought about it for a sec and realized oh wait this is a room for you to bring your autistic child to when they're getting overstimulated, and then we felt real guilty and weird about it so we left.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shame Boy posted:

We were at a museum recently and gettin' a little tired from walking around so much, so we found a nice little room off to the side labeled "relaxation / decompression room" or something like that, that had a nice couch and subdued lights, so we went in and sat on the big comfy couch and relaxed for a bit thinking oh this is great, why don't more places have this. Then I noticed it had a box of simple toys and children's books behind the couch and thought about it for a sec and realized oh wait this is a room for you to bring your autistic child to when they're getting overstimulated, and then we felt real guilty and weird about it so we left.

well......

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Crystal recharge room.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shame Boy posted:

Hey, if you weren't blocking anyone else at the time, no problem right? :shrug:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My university had a room like that actually, except it had religious texts instead of toys and a neat ceiling sticker pointing towards Mecca. I used it for naps occasionally, but I vacated it whenever anyone came in basically.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

back when i worked in an office in-person instead of WFH, i discovered my access card allowed me to enter a vacant office a floor down and id go down there every afternoon for a half hour and hang out with only sunlight to illuminate the space. it was awesome and helped eye fatigue from staring at a computer screen for the rest of the day.

my boss didn't give a poo poo where i was or what i was doing, so i had it dicked. also, functionally my own private bathroom. the 90-120 minute commute each way sucked balls, but at least the office itself was chill

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Subjunctive posted:

for me it was just a referral for treatment-resistant depression to a local clinic and an assessment. the hard part, unfortunately, is the cost (at least in Canada)

They kept trying to suggest you to the suicide booths because it's cheaper

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

spechtie posted:

agreed, but if your employer starts giving it to you to keep your productivity up something is very wrong.

it should be given to management so they zonk out and let stuff get done without interference

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
I'm trying very hard to understand this wikipedia entry without getting a nosebleed. Can someone explain the various stages of American capitalism detailed herein and what they mean? I was trying to understand why every florist where my parents live, except for the most boutique and upscale ones, which I know are brick and mortar, offers the same flowers for Mothers' Day, and now I'm at a total loss.

:psyduck:

Where the gently caress do flowers come from? posted:

FTD LLC (FTD), also known as Florists' Transworld Delivery, is a floral wire service, retailer, and wholesaler based in Downers Grove, Illinois, in the United States. FTD was founded as Florists' Telegraph Delivery in 1910, to help customers send flowers remotely on the same day by using florists in the FTD network who are near the intended recipient. It was based in Detroit, Michigan and then moved to Southfield, Michigan prior to its move to Downers Grove. It originated as a retailers' cooperative and began a process of demutualization in 1994. It operates two main businesses: The Consumer Business sells flowers and gift items through its websites and The Floral Business sells computer services, software and even fresh cut flowers to FTD and Interflora affiliated florists.

Retail Florist Association (formerly Extra Touch Florist Association and FTD Association) is a trade association that originated as the member education, advocacy and quality assurance arm of FTD, breaking formal ties with FTD in 2001.

FTD processes orders through the Mercury Network, its international telecommunications service.

On August 18, 1910, at the Seneca Hotel in Rochester, New York at a Retail Delivery Association meeting, thirteen American florists led by John Valentine, a Denver lawyer and floral company owner agreed to serve each other's out-of-town customers by exchanging orders via telegraph. This group was called Florists' Telegraph Delivery. In 1914, the company adapted Mercury by sixteenth-century Flemish sculptor Giambologna for its Mercury Man corporate logo, to emphasize the speed of delivery. In 1965, it began offering international orders, and took the name of Florists' Transworld Delivery.

In 1994, FTD began a process of demutualization, acquiring control of the business, and ownership of its assets. On December 19, 1994, a precursor to the FTD Corporation, a private, for-profit company Perry Capital, acquired FTD, which then divided FTD into two organizations: FTD Incorporated, a for-profit corporation, and FTD Association, a non-profit trade association. FTD Incorporated retained FTD's businesses, including the Mercury Network and the clearinghouse, and controlled FTD Association's rules, regulations, and bylaws. The FTD Association retained member education, advocacy and quality assurance. In 2000, FTD Incorporated held an initial public offering of FTD.com on the NASDAQ. FTD Group was listed on the NYSE in 2005. The company is based in Downers Grove, Illinois.

In 2001, the FTD Association separated from FTD Incorporated, terminated all contracts, and, in exchange for $14 million, renamed itself Extra Touch Floral Association, and later, Retail Florist Association. It is based in Livonia, Michigan.

In 2008, United Online announced a merger agreement with FTD Group, valued at $800 million. The acquisition was completed and shares of FTD ceased to trade on the NYSE August 26, 2008.

In 2013, FTD is spun off from United Online resulting in FTD Companies, Inc. becoming an independent, publicly traded company listed on NASDAQ.

In July 2019, FTD's North American and Latin America consumer and florist businesses were purchased by Nexus Capital Management and thusly have become a privately owned company and no longer will be a publicly traded company.

In May 2023, FTD merged with From You Flowers, LLC. Michael Chapin, founder and CEO of From You Flowers, took over as CEO of the combined companies. From You Flowers, LLC does not have any retail locations and depend on florists within wire service networks to complete their orders. At the time of the merger From You Flowers, LLC held a 1 star rating across many platforms.

In 1994, FTD was acquired by Perry Capital Corporation from the florists and converted into a for-profit corporation. On July 31, 2006, FTD, Inc. announced its acquisition of Interflora Holdings, a UK-based sister co-operative that offered the FTD network in Britain and Ireland under the Interflora brand. "The acquisition, first announced on July 7th, 2006, was made for a purchase price of GBP 66 million, or approximately US$122 million, excluding transaction costs."

In 2012, Interflora acquired Flying Flowers, Flowers Direct and Drake Algar in the U.K.

In July 2019, FTD's North American and Latin America consumer and florist businesses were purchased by Nexus Capital Management and are now known as FTD LLC.

Fiscal year 2006 revenues grew 6.2% to $465.1 million, compared with revenues of $437.8 million for fiscal 2005. This revenue growth was driven by an 11.6% increase in revenue in the Consumer Segment.

The Mercury Network, the electronic network used by FTD, processes about fifteen million orders annually, through about 50,000 FTD affiliates in 154 countries, of which about 20,000 are in the United States and Canada.

On July 19, 2018, it was announced that CEO John Walden would be stepping down as the company began restructuring. Scott Levin took over as president and CEO.

In June 2019 FTD filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection while it restructures; all customer deliveries will continue in the meantime. The company said it has a tentative deal to sell its flower delivery business in North and South America to Nexus Capital. It has also received offers to buy two subsidiaries: Personal Creations and the candy delivery business Shari's Berries. Shari's Berries was acquired in 2019 by 1-800-Flowers.com.

In July 2019, the foregoing transactions were consummated for FTD's floral consumer businesses and FTD Companies became FTD LLC. with the purchase of FTD and ProFlowers by Nexus Capital Management.

In March 2020, Charlie Cole was named CEO.

FTD had obtained a near-monopoly position in its market. It has been sued several times by the United States Department of Justice to ensure it does not engage in non-competitive behavior, namely prohibiting members from affiliating with competing flowers-by-wire services. FTD entered into consent decrees with the Department of Justice after 1956, 1969, and 1990 suits. Florists' Transworld Delivery (FTD), sued its competitor ProFlowers for false advertising in August 2005. The suit focused on ProFlowers' claim to ship "direct from the fields" with "no middlemen". Stating that the lawsuit was "without merit", ProFlowers brought counterclaims against FTD. The lawsuit was settled a year later out of court.

How the gently caress did a florist become a telecommunications company, become a hedge fund (?)?

My best guess:

Floral Wire Service and Retailer (Early 20th Century):

Emergence of national markets facilitated by technological advances like the telegraph, which FTD used to establish a network of florists to deliver flowers across distances promptly. This era saw the growth of service-oriented businesses alongside industrial enterprises.

Retailers' Cooperative (Founded 1910, Demutualized 1994):

As a cooperative, FTD was owned and run by its members (florists) for mutual benefit, typical of early 20th-century cooperative movements seeking to protect small businesses and local industries from monopolies and larger competitors.

Demutualization and Acquisition by a Private Hedge Fund (1994):

Reflects the deregulation trends of the late 20th century, emphasizing privatization and the shift towards maximizing shareholder value. The transition from a cooperative to a private, for-profit entity underlines the financialization of the economy.

International Expansion and Use of a Global Telecommunications Network (Mid-20th Century Onwards):

Expansion beyond national borders, leveraging global telecommunications infrastructure to facilitate international business transactions.

Initial Public Offering and Listing on NASDAQ/NYSE (2000s):

Emphasizes the role of large corporate entities in shaping economic landscapes, utilizing stock markets for capital and public investments. This stage aligns with the growing influence of corporate governance and finance in the global economy.

Merger and Acquisition by United Online (2008), Spin-off and Later Transactions:

Characterized by the consolidation of businesses to form larger conglomerates, often driven by the search for synergies, cost reductions, and expanded market dominance. Complex financial strategies and restructuring efforts to boost profitability and shareholder returns.

Bankruptcy and Restructuring (2019), Acquisition by Nexus Capital:

Reflects the volatility of neoliberal market practices, where companies may undergo rapid expansion but also face significant challenges that lead to restructuring and bankruptcy. The involvement of private equity firms and hedge funds in restructuring reflects continued emphasis on asset optimization and financial engineering.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
"leveraging global telecommunications infrastructure to facilitate international business transactions" doesn't mean you're a telecommunications company, it means "we have the phone/fax numbers and some kind of payment setup for a lot of local florists so we can send them an order to fulfill". it's resume-speak

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Eat This Glob posted:

back when i worked in an office in-person instead of WFH, i discovered my access card allowed me to enter a vacant office a floor down and id go down there every afternoon for a half hour and hang out with only sunlight to illuminate the space. it was awesome and helped eye fatigue from staring at a computer screen for the rest of the day.

my boss didn't give a poo poo where i was or what i was doing, so i had it dicked. also, functionally my own private bathroom. the 90-120 minute commute each way sucked balls, but at least the office itself was chill

Crazy that it took you up to two hours to go down one flight of stairs. :haw:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

BonHair posted:

:actually: tanks are not very effective against protests, their main use is against other armored vehicles and buildings, plus they're kinda fast nowadays.

Anyway, I'm sure the word tankie is not related to protests, but I just ate so I'm not very Hungary right now

Tanks are horrifyingly effective if the crews are willing to open fire on protesters or run them over.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lol literally eternal submission as a service

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GotLag posted:

Tanks are horrifyingly effective if the crews are willing to open fire on protesters or run them over.

Like that time China tried to invade Taiwan and after the Taiwanese tank crews ran out of ammo from shooting them, they just drove back and forth over the Chinese invaders for the rest of the afternoon.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Like that time China tried to invade Taiwan and after the Taiwanese tank crews ran out of ammo from shooting them, they just drove back and forth over the Chinese invaders for the rest of the afternoon.

This is the Dongding Island incident?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

i mean ngl that would definetly make my eternal torment a little more bareable

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure the point was to punish the guy, making his life better is the exact opposite of what the gods hoped to accomplish.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
living as Hades' wife for half the year probably wasn't so bad

plus he was rich

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Killjoy posted:

living as Hades' wife for half the year probably wasn't so bad

plus he was rich

And he had a cool dog

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hardspace shipbreaker players feel seen.
yes me too

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

BonHair posted:

I'm pretty sure the point was to punish the guy, making his life better is the exact opposite of what the gods hoped to accomplish.

In that case you need to taunt him with a really cool and rare sticker you can only get from a gacha machine, but every time he gets enough points for a pull it's just common ones again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yutsIpLK2Rs

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://kinda.fun/sisyphus

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

lol