Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

FishMcCool posted:

From a very clueless armchair general pov, this looks like russian forces were basically incredibly stretched out to claim as much land as possible without any thought put into how that border was supposed to hold against a Ukrainian offensive. And this might have been further exacerbated by the Kherson engagements provoking some redeployment of troops, as well as the panic Crimean air assets relocation programme. At any rate, that looks incredibly well timed and executed by Ukraine, fingers crossed.

Russia just does not look dug-in at all. They definitely are super stretched out. There are trenches and defenses built, but it's clear that Ukrainian strikes have been keeping Russia from building substantial defense networks to counter any sort of offensive maneuvers. Of course it was morally repugnant for Russia to be targeting civilians in a terror campaign, but it was also strategically a waste of their time. For every town square of civilians Russia blew up, Ukraine dropped countless munitions on trenches, supply depots/routes, artillery batteries, bridges, etc. These kinds of terror and flattening campaigns so rarely work against a force of relative technological parity, but we've seen since Chechnya that Russia's military has not been built for anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think it was back in May or June but weren't the Russians so desperate for skilled and trained personnel that they were sending at least some instructors to the front to fight?

Word of that kind've died out but if true that short term focused move could turn out to be a long term nasty error.

I think we’re vaguely remembering the same piece of information, that’s where I’d eyeball my fuzzy memories of it at.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

How the hell would this work? The Chinese radio seems to have a whole bunch of buttons that you can't press when it's in the case.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

:wtc:

I have so many questions. This can't possibly be real.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

How the hell would this work? The Chinese radio seems to have a whole bunch of buttons that you can't press when it's in the case.
No idea, it looks really bizarre even for russia lol.

I do have one of those radios and you can supposedly operate them remotely through though some sort of serial (?) connection:

https://www.banggood.com/BAOFENG-2-...CN&rmmds=search

so maybe it hooks up to the keyboard through a cable that wasn't show on video. But I kind of doubt, because the display is obviously just a printout of a dumbphone interface. Maybe it's fake to make fun of russia :shrug:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

GABA ghoul posted:

Someone in the comments says its meant for civilian airsoft cosplay and (probably) not for actual military issue.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This looks like the sort of thing you could do with a 3D printer and week to waste. Here’s a recent video of a trophy of the same model, but actually functional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvzevPfv1JQ

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

FMguru posted:

Someone in the comments says its meant for civilian airsoft cosplay and (probably) not for actual military issue.

Yeah, that makes way more sense. It genuinely doesn't make sense to have the fake screen in the case of it being real equipment.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think it was back in May or June but weren't the Russians so desperate for skilled and trained personnel that they were sending at least some instructors to the front to fight?

Word of that kind've died out but if true that short term focused move could turn out to be a long term nasty error.

You might be remembering articles like this from late may.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...y-do-this-once/

quote:

According to recent mobilization order, which some analysts claim to have seen, the Kremin plans to raid its training base. It’s a risky move.

Every brigade and regiment in the Russian army forms at least two BTGs for combat, both with professional contract soldiers. A so-called “third battalion” oversees a brigade or regiment’s conscripts—who, by law, aren’t supposed to deploy to a combat zone—and handles training and constabulary tasks.

The mobilization order requires the higher units to strip their third battalions of all legally deployable manpower in order to form an extra BTG. The open-source analysts at Conflict Intelligence Team believe the army can squeeze another 30 or 40 BTGs from the existing third battalions.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Paladinus posted:

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm familiar with this radio (sup HAM goons!) so I can answer this:

There are two modes that the Baofeng utilizes - a pre-programmed channel mode, where you can just switch back and forth between pre-set frequencies/squelch/privacy settings, and the actual manual tuning mode. These radios are HILARIOUSLY cheap and often bought for uneducated work crews, so this "pre programmed channel mode" is a huge bonus for that - they can only switch channels and can't gently caress up any of the settings. The only way to switch back and forth between the modes is to restart the radio with a multi-button combo press. So, this little holder would actually ... "work", and yes work here is doing a lot of heavy lifting. But all they need is access to the top volume knob and maybe the channel up/down button on the left side, as well as the transmit button that he does visually press there.

The case WOULD in theory also protect it from drops/damage, plus the larger size makes it harder to lose/easier to handle with gloves (they are rather small).

I mean it's all a hilariously obvious grift, but there is some theoretical benefits to a case.

Of course that being said, those preprogrammed channels? Yeah this is NOT a trunking radio. it is *NOT* encrypted. it is *NOT DIGITAL*. This is an analog only HT. You CAN set it to split transmit/receive (for repeater operations) and transmit privacy tones, but privacy tones don't block your transmission, those work the other way around on reception. Basically unless your radio hears the privacy tones at the start of a transmission, it will simply not "play" the transmission and will squelch it out.

Using this for military applications is ... hilarious, and as far as I know, ham operators are still loving with russian radio nets on the daily like they were at the start of the war. (think, "my artillery spotting call keeps getting drowned out by 30 assholes rickrolling the frequency every time I start trying to call coordinates", or "Every time I try and call coordinates some rear end in a top hat with a 10kw linear amplifier picks up and gives the coordinates to my favorite bathhouse in Moscow". You know, high brow comedy.)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1568267855870758917

Hope the reinforcements can swim

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It may not be that difficult to get around it.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It may not be that difficult to get around it.

If you do rudimentary check on Google maps the Oskil is still around 10-20 meters wide across the area that zoom level does not picture it- not an impassable problem But definitely something that needs a bridging equipment to cross, limiting traffic a ton.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Valtonen posted:

If you do rudimentary check on Google maps the Oskil is still around 10-20 meters wide across the area that zoom level does not picture it- not an impassable problem But definitely something that needs a bridging equipment to cross, limiting traffic a ton.

Especially if its a contrsted crossing.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Valtonen posted:

Of course, the last time they tried a pontoon crossing this close to Ukrainian forces, they lost two battalions in a day.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Valtonen posted:

I don't imagine bridging equipment works all that well at HIMARS-o-clock.

Although at this point with these ranges they can probably just trash anything like that with regular tube artillery. Contested crossings are not a fun time for anyone on the wrong side of the river.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Some sources say that Russia is the one that blew the bridge, not Ukraine. Regardless, it won't save those train tracks, since even handheld mortars can fire on them from across the river, and drones will easily be able to spot when a train is coming.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
The banks north of town might also not be suitable for armored traffic.... Going to look on Google Maps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

Some sources say that Russia is the one that blew the bridge, not Ukraine. Regardless, it won't save those train tracks, since even handheld mortars can fire on them from across the river, and drones will easily be able to spot when a train is coming.

The source for the tweet is one of the largest Russian Telegram channels for war commentary, and they’re lamenting Ukrainian artillery in the post, appealing to the reader that the situation is under control despite western artillery used by Ukrainian forces. Also, that’s a car bridge with an entirely collapsed, full-width section.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Re: Mobilization, and this is totally out of my rear end, but I wonder if part of the calculus is Putin can't pretend it's a "special operation" any more if he goes down that road

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

No idea about accuracy, but someone on Twitter made an animated map of the offensive so far:

https://twitter.com/Martinnkaaaa/status/1568202821731860483

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Re: Mobilization, and this is totally out of my rear end, but I wonder if part of the calculus is Putin can't pretend it's a "special operation" any more if he goes down that road

The political calculus there is 1) admission that elite super army of Russia has been beaten up by Ukrainians, who are viewed as stupid hicks even by Russian “liberals” 2) drafting people from rich cities.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

And, if it still needs to be said, it means arming/feeding/sustaining every single person drafted. While dis-assembling a big section of the Russian economy.

All so you can throw more untrained troops into a meatgrinder against a very experienced and reasonably well equipped opponent that has just trashed your trained troops.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

The biggest problem with mobilization is that it just gives you garbage quality troops, and even then, it still takes time to actually train them to even that level. They already have meatbags in the form of the separatists, so there is little reason to mobilize when you add the political dimension to it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

No idea about accuracy, but someone on Twitter made an animated map of the offensive so far:

https://twitter.com/Martinnkaaaa/status/1568202821731860483

Wow, that's incredible, if true.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1568201294418001923

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Im not going to link it because I'm pretty sure someone got hurt but holy hell that new @CalibreObscura video!

It's of a Russian T-72 fleeing at top speed from the Ukrainians with a infranty squad riding tank desant, falling off of said tank, which then crashes into a tree.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm kind of surprised Russia hasnt done more to try to kill off Ukrainian political leadership. I know they tried to kill Zelensky in the beginning stages of the invasion but after that it seems like they don't want to? Like the Ukrainian equivalent of Parliament seems to have been operating normally throughout the war which I find amazing since theoretically it could be bombed at any moment by a cruise missile. Same thing with the presidential compound, Zelensky has been operating out of the whole time and it's location is no secret you'd think it would make a juicy target for a missile? On a purely military level it seems to me like killing off political and military leadership could lead to a breakdown in military communication and coordination. Is Russia just that bad at targeting? It's not like they don't launch missiles into Kyiv on occasion although they seem to only target apartment buildings.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Charliegrs posted:

I'm kind of surprised Russia hasnt done more to try to kill off Ukrainian political leadership. I know they tried to kill Zelensky in the beginning stages of the invasion but after that it seems like they don't want to? Like the Ukrainian equivalent of Parliament seems to have been operating normally throughout the war which I find amazing since theoretically it could be bombed at any moment by a cruise missile. Same thing with the presidential compound, Zelensky has been operating out of the whole time and it's location is no secret you'd think it would make a juicy target for a missile? On a purely military level it seems to me like killing off political and military leadership could lead to a breakdown in military communication and coordination. Is Russia just that bad at targeting? It's not like they don't launch missiles into Kyiv on occasion although they seem to only target apartment buildings.

Russia's counting on the rest of the world getting tired and economically overextended and leaving Ukraine to fend for itself. If they blew up the Ukrainian government, the aggression would be so undeniable that it would make it even harder for Europe and the US to justify ending aid.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

I'm sure Putin doesn't want to try surviving a couple dozen assassination attempts per day for the foreseeable future from all the countries he's made into enemies, so obviously that's not gonna happen.

Zelensky dying in the confusion of the first days of war had enough plausible deniability to work, outright assassinating heads of state is a thing no-one wants to encourage, otherwise every nation on Earth soon has new elections every other week

Edit:

And a lot of dictatorships are kind of limited in viable candidates for heirs, so a lot of dictators will stop at offing random journalists, instead of risking both themselves and their country going down the drain when the worst happens.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Im not going to link it because I'm pretty sure someone got hurt but holy hell that new @CalibreObscura video!

It's of a Russian T-72 fleeing at top speed from the Ukrainians with a infranty squad riding tank desant, falling off of said tank, which then crashes into a tree.

Looks to me like the first guys that fall off the tank were shot by the Ukranian they sped by.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
There are UA troops on both sides of the road, that’s why 4 of them fell off. After they crash into a tree with the 3 remaining people holding on for dear life and the tree looks like it crushes 1-2 of them on top. Wild footage

:nms: :nws:

E: https://mobile.twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1568282616373059586

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

beep beep

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1568289990244810752

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1568290015779618816

Still entirely rumours at the moment, but lmao if this is true. There's an army level command post in Izyum, if they actually manage to cut the city off before they can withdraw it... those will be some juicy PoW videos.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Atreiden posted:

You might be remembering articles like this from late may.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...y-do-this-once/

Thanks and yeah that was what I was thinking of.

As far as I can tell by searching there really isn't much more info on this. At least in english. I have to think though that if those instructors were sent to the front they've probably lost a fair degree of them by now. The fighting has just been too nasty not to.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Some expensive loot

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1568276847611498496?cxt=HHwWgMDStfve0cMrAAAA

Charlotte Hornets fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 9, 2022

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Don't know if this is real or not, but...

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1568280906674368524

The location in question:

Presumably this is more supportive of the less conservative maps of the current Ukranian offensive.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Reports of attacks on Izyum from the south are becoming more frequent but I've not seen anything verified yet.

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1568301875077824513

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Risky Bisquick posted:

There are UA troops on both sides of the road, that’s why 4 of them fell off.

Cinci edit: :nms:

E: https://mobile.twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1568282616373059586

Yeah you can see they're getting lit up by the UA troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

There is a lot of wild information going around right now about Ukraine being in some combination of Ukraine being just east of Izyium now, being just north west of Izyium, or actually being in Izyium itself. I'm not sure how many, if any, of these, are true, but they are starting to get some circulation.