Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The new twist season looks like it’ll actually be pretty fun, some of the heroes are wild. Here’s a Reddit post with some of them but there’s more, including Al’akir, Arfus, Varian, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
It does look fun, but it also seems really far removed from what Twist was advertised as? What happened to all those Twist card packs that were opened? Can’t use them here!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The prebuilt decks like Ragnaros vs Nefarian were always my favorite type of Tavern Brawl so I might actually play some Twist this time around

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Took the new spell mage for a spin to bang out a daily and hey, this is fun!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It does look fun, but it also seems really far removed from what Twist was advertised as? What happened to all those Twist card packs that were opened? Can’t use them here!

Oh yeah for sure, this should’ve been like a month-long brawl or something

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Yeah, but we were going to have that problem no matter what. The whole concept was that Twist would go through a bunch of different formats with different restrictions. The issue is not that this specific Twist rotation is uniquely bad for this, the issue is that Hearthstone's economy is already balancing on the edge of "good enough" and it can't sustain the kind of deck rotation that Twist needs conceptually.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

flatluigi posted:

that's the issue when a new season starts, everyone's MMR is reset so you're playing with killers until the best shoot up the ranks

it seems like my moaning worked as since my last post I've hit final four each time. Still stuck around 4.5k mmr but it's fine

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I'm not going to claim this is good, but it's a lot of fun:

### DB DK Head
# Class: Death Knight
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Staff of the Primus
# 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 2x (2) Dirty Rat
# 2x (2) Distressed Kvaldir
# 2x (2) Down with the Ship
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 1x (2) Hematurge
# 1x (2) Hematurge
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 2x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 2x (3) Coldlight Oracle
# 1x (3) Photographer Fizzle
# 1x (4) Helya
# 2x (4) Tomb Traitor
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 1x (6) The Headless Horseman
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (7) Patchwerk
# 1x (8) The Primus
# 2x (11) Chained Guardian
#
AAEBAfHhBAr6DoUXpu8DlOQErNEFk/sF7f8FvbEG2OUGr/QGCvgH9+gDh/YE9fcFgvgF8vgFu/kF6/8F0J4G0Z4GAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

EDIT: for some reason the Core and the Path Hematurge don't combine into a 2 of ???

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Guaranteed legend if you are good at not doing stupid poo poo -

### Secret Hunter
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
#
# 2x (1) Bunch of Bananas
# 2x (1) Costumed Singer
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 2x (1) Vicious Slitherspear
# 2x (2) Bait and Switch
# 1x (2) Barrel of Monkeys
# 1x (2) Freezing Trap
# 2x (2) Hidden Meaning
# 2x (2) Ice Trap
# 1x (2) Patchwork Pals
# 2x (2) Titanforged Traps
# 2x (3) Observer of Mysteries
# 1x (4) Pozzik, Audio Engineer
# 2x (5) Lesser Emerald Spellstone
# 2x (5) Mantle Shaper
# 1x (5) Product 9
# 1x (6) Aggramar, the Avenger
# 2x (6) Starstrung Bow
#
AAECAR8G5J8E9MgF0vgF1/kF8aUGrLYGDOjoBd/tBeryBeT1Bfz4BYWOBu2bBpCeBv2oBoDmBoLmBtfzBgAA
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/SrJvCkeIfTPArXaGKcHWch/

People have totally forgotten how to play against secrets.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah, but we were going to have that problem no matter what. The whole concept was that Twist would go through a bunch of different formats with different restrictions. The issue is not that this specific Twist rotation is uniquely bad for this, the issue is that Hearthstone's economy is already balancing on the edge of "good enough" and it can't sustain the kind of deck rotation that Twist needs conceptually.

What do you mean with good enough? Is this inference on your part?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Boatswain posted:

What do you mean with good enough? Is this inference on your part?

I mean that Hearthstone's economy feels basically fine as a F2P player when all you're doing is maintaining 2-3 standard decks and maybe crafting a few cards for Wild, but when you add another significant resource drain like buying a bunch of Twist card packs to get cards for this one seasonal format that won't be useful anywhere else the wheels fall off.

This isn't a big complicated take. It's just "we get X gold and Y cards over time, and participating in Twist formats that aren't actively designed to be cheap to get into are going to push you past what you can comfortably get".

(In their defense, stuff like the new "have a notable legendary and get a unique deck" format and theoretical pauper Twist formats are notably cheaper than the original "standard plus Year of the Gryphon/Phoenix" format, so they probably know it's a pain to get into too.)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

They should really reduce the $$$/Gold costs for Wild/Twist sets. It's not like they're limited or rare.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I mean that Hearthstone's economy feels basically fine as a F2P player when all you're doing is maintaining 2-3 standard decks and maybe crafting a few cards for Wild, but when you add another significant resource drain like buying a bunch of Twist card packs to get cards for this one seasonal format that won't be useful anywhere else the wheels fall off.

This isn't a big complicated take. It's just "we get X gold and Y cards over time, and participating in Twist formats that aren't actively designed to be cheap to get into are going to push you past what you can comfortably get".

(In their defense, stuff like the new "have a notable legendary and get a unique deck" format and theoretical pauper Twist formats are notably cheaper than the original "standard plus Year of the Gryphon/Phoenix" format, so they probably know it's a pain to get into too.)

Ah I thought you were referring to Blizzard's earnings from Hearthstone.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Balance changes this week. It’s mostly Battlegrounds, but Molten Giant, Showdown, and Thirsty Drifter are getting nerfed.

Not sure why they thought Molten Giant was fine to bring back when they knew the 6/6 Infernal guy was coming along to take most of the risk out of it, and Showdown seems like it’s mostly getting hit so they can avoid nerfing the Ticking Zilliax again, but it is what it is. These changes seem mostly aimed at toning down early high rolls, which is the major problem with the format presently.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Molten giant and showdown I get. But what did thirsty drifter do to deserve a nerf? I've never seen it as particularly problematic.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Doji Sekushi posted:

Molten giant and showdown I get. But what did thirsty drifter do to deserve a nerf? I've never seen it as particularly problematic.

I think it’s extremely niche but iirc Zarimi priest actually gets more value out of these fuckers towards their OHKO than any of the 1 drops themselves.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
fun fact: if you get thirsty drifter down to 1 mana it works with all the 1 mana synergy cards because that's how hearthstone works apparently. had a game last session where the opponent played six drifters thanks to also playing multiple pips w/ the clone/bounce effects

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Doji Sekushi posted:

it's low-key the strongest card in Zarimi priest (yes, even stronger than Zarimi itself)

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I just kept staring my rogue collection tonight. I want pirate rogue to be at least a fine deck so bad. It would seem to have so many interesting and challenging decisions with all the discounts, hand size management, extra summons and bounces.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I would rather they never print any pirate rogue support ever again personally

but that's a Wild persepctive

e: this doesn't mean I want pirate rogue *nerfed*, mind you

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Valiantman posted:

I just kept staring my rogue collection tonight. I want pirate rogue to be at least a fine deck so bad. It would seem to have so many interesting and challenging decisions with all the discounts, hand size management, extra summons and bounces.

It's definitely fine in wild.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Valiantman posted:

It's SO MUCH FUN, then Warrior just casually deletes everything you make turn after turn whilst gaining more armour than you do damage.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Doji Sekushi posted:

Priest can't have nice things, it can only have sub-viable control decks

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
There was a dragon priest deck like six years ago that was fun, nothing since then

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Quest Priest wasn't terrible, it at least had a wincon to go for instead of "remove everything and hope I discover something decent from another class before fatigue hits". As a primarily Priest player I'm as mad about it as the people I play on ladder. I was so very disappointed when Zarimi turned out to secretly just be Yet Another Aggro Card since all the dragons suck donkey dick. It looked so promising at first, and then the miniset didn't include a single loving dragon but instead was a bunch of control cards that don't loving DO ANYTHING.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Stumbled into Legend with this:

### Mining Machinery
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Bloodrock Co. Shovel
# 2x (1) Drone Deconstructor
# 2x (1) Frequency Oscillator
# 2x (1) Valeera's Gift
# 2x (2) From the Scrapheap
# 2x (2) Invent-o-matic
# 2x (2) Kobold Miner
# 1x (2) Pit Stop
# 2x (3) Beatboxer
# 2x (3) Gorillabot A-3
# 1x (3) Mimiron, the Mastermind
# 2x (3) SP-3Y3-D3R
# 1x (4) Drilly the Kid
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
# 1x (2) Haywire Module
# 1x (2) Power Module
# 2x (5) Burrow Buster
# 1x (5) Sandbox Scoundrel
# 1x (6) V-07-TR-0N Prime
#
AAECAbfyBAa29gXq+gWh/AXQlAbHpAazqQYM958ElKQFwcMF2dAFpvgF5voF5/0Fuf4FyoMG0IMGyZQG7qkGAAED8bMGx6QG8rMGx6QG6t4Gx6QGAAA=
#

I didn’t much like Mech Rogue in previous expansions because it was so linear, but adding the excavate package to go with Mimiron and Gorillabot gives the deck a value dimension it didn’t have before. Of course, you are still fully capable of getting scam wins by riding enormous magnetized guys (as I did against my final boss, an Excavate Rogue who could do nothing but watch helplessly as I smacked them around with a windfury Zilliax on turn four), but you’re no longer completely boned if you can’t snowball an early board.

The sketchiest cards here feel like Valeera’s Gift and Sandbox Scoundrel. The Gift is mostly there to give Fan of Knives against token decks, but there were tons of situations where the best it could do is put Deadly Poison on a Shovel as a slow Fireball, and I often hated drawing it. As for the Scoundrel, it’s never useless, but it feels rare to get a big pop-off turn with it, so I feel like there has to be something better. It feels insane to not be using Sonya, but the thing is with Sonya in the deck I suddenly like Gift and Scoundrel more. Pit Stop also feels kind of weak when you’re playing too many mechs to reliably predict what you’re getting.

The deck is really reliant on pulling the lifesteal sparkbot against burn decks, but I’m not sure there’s a solution in Rogue without taking the deck too far afield and playing Cutlass or something.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 22, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

If you spend like 12 hours a day spamming a lovely plague deck in casual wild eventually a LOT more people start running Steamcleaner. Curious.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Infernal! Does not need to exist. Why do they keep shoring classes' weaknesses so much? Warlocks leverage health for bullshit. I don't get this card at all.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Valiantman posted:

at least combining goldbeard with replicator-inator and similar effects is very funny

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Doji Sekushi posted:

Infernal! Does not need to exist. Why do they keep shoring classes' weaknesses so much? Warlocks leverage health for bullshit. I don't get this card at all.
Because the siren song is strong in basically all CCG creator brains. The path always goes, in nearly every game:

1. Let's have a negaive effect that classes should want to avoid. (Losing life, taking negative statuses, losing your Minions, whatever, basic game effect) - Fine.
2. Let's introduce a mechanism by which you can utilise that negative effect to supplement or circument cost on cards - Fine.
3. Someone, usually not the original designer, adds a way to prevent or mitigate the negative effect. - Theoretically, or in a vacuum, fine.
4. The supplemented or circumvented cost is now ridiclously good, and every equivalent card paying the iron price is now worse. - Whoops we broke it.

It happens in every single card game eventually, and it's arguably even good in terms of making the game interesting and open to more combinations. But it always, always makes some weird power warps.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Cataclysm going from a board wipe with the disadvantage of being a full-hand discard to a full-hand discard with the disadvantage of being a board wipe was fun.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Shockeh posted:

Because the siren song is strong in basically all CCG creator brains. The path always goes, in nearly every game:

1. Let's have a negaive effect that classes should want to avoid. (Losing life, taking negative statuses, losing your Minions, whatever, basic game effect) - Fine.
2. Let's introduce a mechanism by which you can utilise that negative effect to supplement or circument cost on cards - Fine.
3. Someone, usually not the original designer, adds a way to prevent or mitigate the negative effect. - Theoretically, or in a vacuum, fine.
4. The supplemented or circumvented cost is now ridiclously good, and every equivalent card paying the iron price is now worse. - Whoops we broke it.

It happens in every single card game eventually, and it's arguably even good in terms of making the game interesting and open to more combinations. But it always, always makes some weird power warps.

Agreed. As a veteran of multiple card games, I've seen this alot. (I'm an old Warlords player, that game is the poster child of power creep)

But with hearthstone it's not exactly power creep. It's more a misunderstanding of something I can't quite elaborate on. Like the game was originally designed with hard weaknesses with certain classes that have slowly been eroded each expansion. For example nearly every class has a poo poo ton of draw.

But something about infernal! seems just wrong. At its best it's 14 health plus a 6/6 taunt for 6 mana. It's not like a huge problem but I'm sorta annoyed that it exists after doing 2 games in a row where I got the warlock to 1 hp after all sorts of stall, then bam, infernal.

I don't hate the game by any means and make either d5 or legend every season but sometimes some cards just feel like total outliers.

Forgive the rant. Annoyed.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
There’s a realization that not all of these hard weaknesses make for good gameplay. Having weak card flow, for example, just sucks. It’s deeply lame to know you’re getting one card a turn and that’s your lot. Blizzard’s original vision was that some of the classes, like Shaman, would have weak card draw, but card draw is so integral to card games that this just ended up making those classes terrible to play unless their cards were turbo-overpowered on rate, which is its own kind of problem.

Having weak comeback tools is another of these. Maybe it makes sense on paper, but it sucks knowing that your opponent having more minions than you means you’re never getting back into this game.

The classes’ weaknesses were not carried down off the mountain by Moses. Obviously you don’t want decks to have no weaknesses, but the idea that certain drawbacks should be unbreakable rules is not healthy long-term.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Sure, but for another year we’re in expansion 1, and The Best Deck is a capital C Control that plays very little on the board and runs quite literally 50% removal cards, at the point you’d expect such a thing to be inefficient. It doesn’t bode well?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

It feels wrong to nerf molten giant, a card that has been unchanged for a decade. Maybe nerf something else?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’m pretty sure Molten giant has been changed before

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

This is the unnerfed version.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm going to be highly cynical here and point out that Molten Giant is a free card for which players won't get a refund

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I mean, the Legacy version absolutely will be eligible for refund, if you’ve got it.

The idea that Blizzard only nerfs low-rarity pieces to ensure players don’t get as much out of balance changes is just completely without merit. The last round of balance changes nerfed a legendary and an epic, the one before that nerfed seven legendaries and three epics. That just isn’t how they’ve historically operated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

You could've not been disingenuous and piling on a massive balance sweep - that included Wild cards - as if Blizzard typically nerfs 7 legendaries in every other patch

That just isn’t how they’ve historically operated.

Instead just point out they've nerfed Wild Seeds several times and had to refund the whole package (including epic + legendary) every time

"Cynical" does not mean "highly accurate" after all