Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did the Packers choke?
This poll is closed.
Yes 288 26.09%
Yes 273 24.73%
Yes 276 25.00%
Yes 267 24.18%
Total: 373 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Brannock posted:

Football is a game with absolutely no intrinsic value to it beyond entertainment for its spectators and the potential money to be gained from it. Part of the entertainment for the vast majority of football fans is hearing/reading/watching their favorite players talk about playing the game after matches.

This is such a dumb justification. Post-game interviews that are entertaining in the slightest are exceedingly rare. Watching football is super entertaining. Listening to football players talk is by and large is boring and pointless, and almost none of them are even remotely honest or open in what they say (with good reason since those that are tend to be meant with nothing but scorn for doing so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He's free to find another league (there are actually several in this country!!! And one just north in a very strong similarly cultured ally!)

marshawn lynch with gold cleats and elaborate dickgrabbing skittle throwing TD celebrations in the CFL would loving rule so I hope he does this

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

MourningView posted:

This is such a dumb justification. Post-game interviews that are entertaining in the slightest are exceedingly rare. Watching football is super entertaining. Listening to football players talk is by and large is boring and pointless, and almost none of them are even remotely honest or open in what they say (with good reason since those that are tend to be meant with nothing but scorn for doing so)

Tuesdays with Aaron (Rodgers radio show) rules and is super entertaining to listen to :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Added to the mile long list of poo poo that AAC doesn't seem to understand - "monopolies"

A court defined them as a natural monopoly back in 1962. There's a difference, I know, but it functions similarly.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rod Munch posted:

So Burnett did have a ton of room to run obviously.

I was ok with the actual decision at the time and obviously happy with the result but jesus

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MourningView posted:

I mean, of course they aren't interesting to you or to me. We're part of a group of fans that follow the NFL closely enough to at least recognize and actually understand what's going on instead of just shouting at a screen when the magic box has bad things happens to their team. I think it's easy to forget just how uninformed the average football fan is, or to forget that they actually do literally enjoy those postgame interviews. The entire Packers.com front page is full of clips of postgame player and coach interviews, and I'm sure the same is true for every other team homepage.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Brannock posted:

Football is a game with absolutely no intrinsic value to it beyond entertainment for its spectators and the potential money to be gained from it. Part of the entertainment for the vast majority of football fans is hearing/reading/watching their favorite players talk about playing the game after matches.

Don't pretend like Lynch is doing anything noble. There's not particularly wrong with it, but it's not some sort of righteous crusade against the oppressive maw of the League.
yes, it sure is too bad that marshawn lynch's antics with the media have failed to generate any entertainment. few are interested in him or in things written about him.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bad Moon posted:

I was ok with the actual decision at the time and obviously happy with the result but jesus
I was yelling LAY THE gently caress DOWN LAY THE gently caress DOWN as soon as he caught it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
One of the things you get used to quickly as a journalist is the fact that generally the people you really, really want to talk to are the last ones who will actually want to talk to you. If your sympathy in the Lynch thing sides with the reporters solely because they are "just doing their jobs," you're more than welcome to that opinion, but anybody who feels bad for a reporter not getting a quote probably doesn't understand the mentality of a reporter.

I remember a while back someone — I think it was Chad Pennington — got into a bunch of hot water for telling the media that they were privileged for being able to come in and speak to the players. I totally agree with him, especially after watching how loving smug and self-righteous the columnists were in their responses.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bob Morales posted:

I was yelling LAY THE gently caress DOWN LAY THE gently caress DOWN as soon as he caught it.

But why? Aaron Rodgers couldn't kneel the ball three times and win; so why the gently caress is he kneeling it with yards/points to try and get? It's just really bad awareness of the situation of the game.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
loving Christ, Slidegate is the best. I hope to see more graphical analysis of how that guy blew his teams best chance putting the Seahawks' hearts, minds, and fans out of that game.

Keep it coming, internet, anything to distract from how lovely the Falcons were the last 2 years.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Toaster Beef posted:

One of the things you get used to quickly as a journalist is the fact that generally the people you really, really want to talk to are the last ones who will actually want to talk to you. If your sympathy in the Lynch thing sides with the reporters solely because they are "just doing their jobs," you're more than welcome to that opinion, but anybody who feels bad for a reporter not getting a quote probably doesn't understand the mentality of a reporter.

I remember a while back someone — I think it was Chad Pennington — got into a bunch of hot water for telling the media that they were privileged for being able to come in and speak to the players. I totally agree with him, especially after watching how loving smug and self-righteous the columnists were in their responses.

I recently watched Nightcrawler, which is a fantastic documentary on ethics in journalism. In your opinion, do all sports reporters act like Bloom does, or just almost all of them?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I swear in these very playoffs someone intercepted a pass and subsequently had it knocked out and recovered by the passing team. That's why you go down; since you are a DB and not good at run with football. I understand why it's getting talked about, because it's an obvious, visual thing, but there were about 400 other bits the Packers did wrong that had an equal or greater negative effect on the outcome.

vivazomo
Nov 4, 2010
Surprised people here are so sympathetic towards the manchild that doesnt wanna talk to people.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Rooster Brooster posted:

That's why you go down; since you are a DB and not good at run with football.

You also don't have to carry it like a loaf of bread. Use 2 arms, you run slower, but you'll get more yards, eat a few more seconds and when and if you go 3 & out the next drive it's that many more yards SEA has to go.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thom P. Tiers posted:

But why? Aaron Rodgers couldn't kneel the ball three times and win; so why the gently caress is he kneeling it with yards/points to try and get? It's just really bad awareness of the situation of the game.

What was most important was if Rodgers could manage to get a first down or two. He didn't need to score, he needed to have the ball and burn clock.

The chances of the end of the game being so mismanaged that you need that field goal is probably lower than you fumbling on the return and losing the ball. You now know that they did need that field goal - but that was incredibly unlikely. And a fumble on the interception return that should have sealed the game has also happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80%9307_NFL_playoffs#AFC:_New_England_Patriots_24.2C_San_Diego_Chargers_21

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I dont get it. He intercepted the loving ball. Thats a great play by him and going down in that situation was the right thing to do. If you feel the need to blame a player for the lose, it's that 3rd TE who's job it was to block on the kickoff but who wanted to catch it. He didn't do his job and screwed up.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

vivazomo posted:

Surprised people here are so sympathetic towards the manchild that doesnt wanna talk to people.

Being one of the most ridiculously awesome humans in all of sports nevermind just football buys you a lot of slack.

Edit: Yeah the whole onside kick play was set up so Jordy goddamn Nelson would catch it. Going after that ball instead of blocking was a huge mistake.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GaussianCopula posted:

I dont get it. He intercepted the loving ball. Thats a great play by him and going down in that situation was the right thing to do. If you feel the need to blame a player for the lose, it's that 3rd TE who's job it was to block on the kickoff but who wanted to catch it. He didn't do his job and screwed up.

He had the option to grab the ball if it came to him and he failed at doing that, I don't blame him for attempting to grab that ball. He absolutely should have made the play on it, though.

He intercepted the ball with 5 minutes left and acted like they won the game because of it. Show some loving determination to end the god drat game (officially) yourself. You made a play, make it bigger. The idea that corners and safeties are a bunch of idiots that can't hold on to a football is so dumb, they've been playing football their whole life. It's not like they have two fingers and no thumbs to hold onto the ball. Just be aware of what's going on in the game and make a play. And it was clear he had no idea (nor did Peppers) in my opinion. The team itself didn't have the killer instinct it need to finish them off for good the whole game and it ended up costing them the game. I'm done ranting, I still want to murder things/myself.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

GaussianCopula posted:

He slid like there was less than a minute left in the game when there was over 5 minutes. It was absolutely NOT the right thing to do and I don't think anyone is blaming anyone but in that scenario where you can gain a substantial amount of yards in a game where your offense is not scoring points and struggling, you don't loving slide.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
McCarthy not going for it on either 4th and 1 situation set the whole tone for the Packers offense: Limp.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

MacheteZombie posted:

A court defined them as a natural monopoly back in 1962. There's a difference, I know, but it functions similarly.

I have a very serious issue with putting the nfl on the same level as companies like AT&T

But on the flip side lol AAC. Nice angry pm dude.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Comparing the nfl to att is not even looking at the right thing. The nfl has monopsony power, and that is what is actually relevant.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Bad memories of a game a few weeks ago when someone fumbled after picking it up. Forgot what game it was.

I'd expect the packers to be able to get at least a first down. But then again I couldn't see that acre of green pasture in front of him or I'd have wanted him to at least run a little bit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Saying Lynch should just go play in another league is incredibly dumb. The CFL's salary cap per team is less than what Lynch makes per year, and the average salary of the CFL is $80k a year. Lynch looks visibly uncomfortable when people shove mics into his face, so I imagine he has really bad anxiety about it. Have any of you actually watched a player press conference? They're boring as hell. I turned on the TV and the news had Russell Wilson's on and it was giant snooze fest filled with stereotypical quotes.

I hate the "it's in his contract, he has to do it" mindset because it discourages critical thought and tries to silence the idea that maybe these clauses aren't all that great. I love the product the NFL puts on the field, but so many of their policies are rear end backward, from their handling of concussion protocol, the suspension of players that use weed, and this forced media crap.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A bunch of teammates and probably coaches were yelling at Burnett to hit the turf I don't blame him too much. It took a lot of really crazy poo poo happening and other failures for that to mean much, and on balance he still did way more to help their chances than hurt them there. It probably wasn't the best decision but people are talking about it like it was a major reason they lost or something.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

They may have remembered the Cowboys-Lions game where the Cowboys lineman recovered a fumble and tried to score, then fumbled it back, albeit in a packed group of dudes.

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Saying Lynch should just go play in another league is incredibly dumb. The CFL's salary cap per team is less than what Lynch makes per year, and the average salary of the CFL is $80k a year. Lynch looks visibly uncomfortable when people shove mics into his face, so I imagine he has really bad anxiety about it. Have any of you actually watched a player press conference? They're boring as hell. I turned on the TV and the news had Russell Wilson's on and it was giant snooze fest filled with stereotypical quotes.

I hate the "it's in his contract, he has to do it" mindset because it discourages critical thought and tries to silence the idea that maybe these clauses aren't all that great. I love the product the NFL puts on the field, but so many of their policies are rear end backward, from their handling of concussion protocol, the suspension of players that use weed, and this forced media crap.

I've always assumed most of the ratings that postgame interviews receive come directly from viewers forgetting to change the channel- too busy celebrating victories or lamenting defeats.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MourningView posted:

A bunch of teammates and probably coaches were yelling at Burnett to hit the turf I don't blame him too much. It took a lot of really crazy poo poo happening and other failures for that to mean much, and on balance he still did way more to help their chances than hurt them there. It probably wasn't the best decision but people are talking about it like it was a major reason they lost or something.

I can't be down on the guy for sliding, with five minutes in the clock and Aaron Rodgers under center I thought the game was done. Just, when I look at that pic I posted and think of all the things that had to happen for the Seahawks to win I get the shakes.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Bad Moon posted:

I can't be down on the guy for sliding, with five minutes in the clock and Aaron Rodgers under center I thought the game was done. Just, when I look at that pic I posted and think of all the things that had to happen for the Seahawks to win I get the shakes.
Listening to the Raible radio call you can hear all the emotion drain out of him and Moon. It's all just flat monotone for a few minutes before it all started happening.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Russell Wilson owns and he's the best running QB I've seen along with Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers. All of those guys are crazy accurate on the run. Wilson's more of a "scrambler" than just a running QB like Kaep was before he decided to be awful. He takes care of the ball and he runs in a way to minimize his risk for injury which I really like.

Even if he's not throwing for 4k yards a season I'd still say he's a top 10 QB. Stats aren't always indicative of great play on the field and he'll definitely be worth the inevitable 100m contract (which seems to just be the price for any kind of starting QB nowadays.)

Either way I'm pumped for the Super Bowl. I wouldn't mind if either team won and I just hope it's a great game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

Even if it's in his contract it's not like it makes him a bad person.

It kind of does. He's making GBS threads on a bunch of people doing their jobs who's salary, for the most part, is a rounding error on his game check. Making their lives difficult isn't proving a point to anyone. It's just making their lives difficult.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It kind of does. He's making GBS threads on a bunch of people doing their jobs who's salary, for the most part, is a rounding error on his game check. Making their lives difficult isn't proving a point to anyone. It's just making their lives difficult.

I don't think it makes their lives very difficult, they just go to the next guy to get quotes from.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Lynch clearly likes the attention but only if everyone talks about how awesome he is. Let's not act like it's anything else with him.

I am curious though, what did the media do to Lynch to earn him acting like jerk to them?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't think it makes their lives very difficult, they just go to the next guy to get quotes from.

Well to be fair you Try getting a quote from Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Earl Thomas, Doug Baldwin, or Russell Wilson. Those guys never have anything to say.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

whypick1 posted:

So Russell Wilson is Ned Flanders, got it.

Actually Russell Wilson is the Homer Simpson to my Frank Grimes

I see him do things time and time again that should be gently caress ups but they work and it pisses me off and I stick a knife in an electrical socket

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am curious though, what did the media do to Lynch to earn him acting like jerk to them?

The same media that has no compunction with totally making up nonsense in order to make a story.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

You guys are acting like he's playing 43 dimensional chess with the league and its media, employing irony and a well timed shrug of the shoulders to fulfil his main goal which is the complete post-modernist dissection of the entire enterprise, exposing it for the hollow shell that it is.

Really he's just most likely a mental midget who can't fathom the world not being his way because everyone he's known since high school has put up with his poo poo as long as he stays good at running with a ball. It's cool to like him for that. Rock stars have spun whole careers from that attitude. Just don't act like there's any mental process over and above that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

The same media that has no compunction with totally making up nonsense in order to make a story.

Like deflate gate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Like deflate gate?

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

The NFC title game apparently wasn't exciting enough so ESPN just starts making poo poo up.

http://deadspin.com/espn-writer-puts-a-few-motherfuckers-in-doug-baldwins-1680436734

• Locked thread