Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
There's no Jujutsu God, but Cursed Energy is a system. What Sukuna is able to achieve with Binding Vows is the consequence of what Enlightenment looks like within it: full knowledge of himself, his place in the order of the world, and the willingness to fearlessly gamble his karma allow Sukuna to push past what other practitioners consider the logical limits of the craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

NowonSA posted:

This whole Sukuna fight is an all-timer crazy shonen manga fight. I don't think I've seen this much crazy bullshit involving all sorts of characters and abilities since the end of Naruto.

You should definitely read Toriko. Compared to my feelings on this fight, Toriko's final battle is far more insane but also far more internally consistent.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

PringleCreamEgg posted:

My take on the binding vows fixation is that it’s the explanation on why Sukuna is so dominant as the King of Curses. It’s just something that needs to make sense in your head at the time, there isn’t some all-powerful Jujutsu God determining if you secretly broke a vow or if it’s reasonable. So Sukuna is the best at gaslighting himself into thinking that ridiculous vows that boost his strength for minimal consequences are actually totally fair and valid.

Gojo is the greatest of the modern era because limitless and six-eyes basically break the rules all on their own. Sukuna is the greatest in history because he’s read the manual cover to cover multiple times and knows how to game the system. Dude probably didn’t even have much cursed energy to begin with but made a vow that he will have a nearly unlimited pool of cursed energy but if he ever stands on his head while looking at the moon when he is underwater his left pinky toe will turn blue.

Gojo is a golfer who can absolutely crush the ball harder than anyone else, and he's okay at putting. He doesn't need to worry too much about putting beyond a point because who the hell is ever gonna smash like him?

Sukuna has a mutant swing and a putting skill better than anyone else ever. Even if he can't match Gojo's distance, he can get drat close and then best him in the short game.

Binding vows are putting. This is the dumbest post I've ever attempted in the anime forum.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Closest i've come to understanding BVs honestly

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Binding Vows are like throwing a lateral in proper football. It's a stupid snap decision play made by only the truly mad or desperate and they almost always always always fail. But sometimes....someone is mad or desperate or just good enough to make it work and we're seeing literally an entire generation of the Most Mad and Most Desperate and Most Skilled slapping hands so they're doin it.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

binding vows are when you make the extra pass to turn a good shot into a great shot

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think Binding Vows are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Gologle posted:

I think Binding Vows are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

Sukuna doing binding vows:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't do dogs you sick degenerate fucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Binding Vows are just more interesting in Hunter x Hunter where they are a very specific thing to a character based on their personality and there's a more sort of clear cause/effect element to it. I don't necessarily have a problem with them in theory in JJK but they feel kind of arbitrary and the fact that there's no clear concept of what a failed one does. It's not the end of the world or anything but it's one of the those things where the fights end up focusing on poorly explored minutia instead of the actual awesome poo poo and it drags it down.

Thankfully Todo vibroslapped the poo poo out of the boring minutia so we're all good there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
You might say binding vows are the Dark Souls of anime power levels discussions

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Again, all this talk about binding vows being some kind of nuclear option that is really hard to pull off doesn't jive with how commonplace they are. A ton of sorcerers just start their fights declaring what their cursed technique does to make it more powerful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Binding Vows are overpowered if you are delusionally overconfident which kind of feels like a self-perpetuating cycle. Win with BV -> get better deals on BVs because you think you are hot poo poo -> keep winning.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Don't do dogs you sick degenerate fucks.

That's a fox not a dog!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The idea that binding vows carried some kind of cost/reward transaction more or less stopped before the Culling Game. Nanami had a binding vow to inform his Overtime ability, where he willingly operated on less cursed energy output until the clock ran out and then he gets a temporary power boost. Ui Ui can't use cursed energy unless he got permission from his sister which is a purposeful part of their anti-domain tandem strategy. The rest of the vows I can think of were contracts between two parties which is also the only time the idea of breaking a vow had drawbacks (Mahito/Kenjaku + Mechamaru).

At this point binding vows are just ways to give yourself advantage with marginal at best disadvantages in the case of Sukuna. And for Todo he took an ability crippling injury and made an objective improvement that makes him even more overpowered. I'm just rolling with it at this point but any kind of narrative consistency has long since grown out the window.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Todo's case at least it is a restriction. It means he has to rely on a specific (and to be honest easily breakable) tool. It's still incredibly good because the restriction makes his ability better, but it's also exactly the kind of thing that can and would gently caress him pretty hard because once you damage the vibroslap he's hosed and there are plenty of skills that could screw him within the confines of the series itself.

It's a really good way to handle it because it is absurd, over the top, incredibly powerful and has a giant glaring weakness that talented foes or those with unusual powers could reasonably work against. Even just as battlefield control it's most effective only because Yuji and Todo are absurdly in-sync, whereas if Todo just tried to do it with someone randomly there's a good chance they would end up as disoriented as the opponent at 50 Boogies A Second.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ImpAtom posted:

In Todo's case at least it is a restriction. It means he has to rely on a specific (and to be honest easily breakable) tool. It's still incredibly good because the restriction makes his ability better, but it's also exactly the kind of thing that can and would gently caress him pretty hard because once you damage the vibroslap he's hosed and there are plenty of skills that could screw him within the confines of the series itself.

It's a really good way to handle it because it is absurd, over the top, incredibly powerful and has a giant glaring weakness that talented foes or those with unusual powers could reasonably work against. Even just as battlefield control it's most effective only because Yuji and Todo are absurdly in-sync, whereas if Todo just tried to do it with someone randomly there's a good chance they would end up as disoriented as the opponent at 50 Boogies A Second.

To me it doesn't feel like "wow an easily damaged weak point", like I treat this like any weapon/cursed tool. its literally embedded in his arm so they probably sprung for that good good materials. For the most part Todo's ability is something he uses by himself to beat everyone up and this just makes him even more overpowered at that. Obviously the Todo+Yuji bromance brings it to the next level, but I don't think Todo got this upgrade with using it with others in mind. He can just destroy people solo with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerkface posted:

To me it doesn't feel like "wow an easily damaged weak point", like I treat this like any weapon/cursed tool. its literally embedded in his arm so they probably sprung for that good good materials. For the most part Todo's ability is something he uses by himself to beat everyone up and this just makes him even more overpowered at that. Obviously the Todo+Yuji bromance brings it to the next level, but I don't think Todo got this upgrade with using it with others in mind. He can just destroy people solo with it.

The thing is that a vibroslap isn't a weapon. Even if Todo sprung for good materials, there's no indication that it is a cursed tool or anything of the sort, and even if it was we have countless examples of tools being removed from their user. (Hell, Judgeman could arguably wreck Todo's day using the same skill that took the cursed tool.)

It's still extremely good but that's okay. A restriction should make you better.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The binding vow seems to be specifically about binding the amount of swaps to the oscillations of the vibraslap, the activation condition is not a binding vow but just a change he could apparently make.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

With cursed energy reinforcement being a thing. I don't think that instrument is any more or less breakable than his normal hand would be under the same stress. And losing the Vibraslap would just be the same as losing the the hand he previously needed to use BW so it's still the same weakness with far greater strength in employing the technique.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

No Wave posted:

Binding Vows are overpowered if you are delusionally overconfident which kind of feels like a self-perpetuating cycle. Win with BV -> get better deals on BVs because you think you are hot poo poo -> keep winning.

Isn't being a sorcerer all about carrying your delusionally overconfident mindset right up until you hit a wall of someone just insanely strong or vastly more delusional?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Isn't being a sorcerer all about carrying your delusionally overconfident mindset right up until you hit a wall of someone just insanely strong or vastly more delusional?

Does the mean Todo has been the strongest this whole time?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

And I love it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Brought To You By posted:

You should definitely read Toriko. Compared to my feelings on this fight, Toriko's final battle is far more insane but also far more internally consistent.

I read Toriko and that's certainly up there too. It just doesn't stick in my head like the last stretch of Naruto did.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I foolishly thought Todo was gonna be screwed because that vibroslap looks like the most easily damaged thing ever, but of course Boogie Woogie remains stupidly effective and it just got 50x more powerful.

I'm hoping that it still ends up damaged anyway and Todo's wording of "Boogie Woogie now activates when when a piece of metal hits a wooden box" comes into play anyway when he sneaks a little piece of metal out of one pocket and slaps it against a wooden box he has in his other pocket to do one last Boogie Woogie swap. And it's even better if Sukuna notices it and thinks a swap will come but he jukes him by not swapping yet again.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i have a vibraslap and it is a shockingly sturdy instrument. no weaknesses

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does the mean Todo has been the strongest this whole time?

It was so satisfying to actually see Sukuna admit "yeah this is the worst possible time for this specific brand of bullshit"

Feels good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Todo is not the strongest but he is absolutely the most annoying and that matters a lot.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Todo is not the strongest but he is absolutely the most annoying and that matters a lot.

Nah, we can see Sukuna was back to having fun just from trying to figure this mess out.

I believe his observation lies in how Todo is both unpredictable and unshakeable, meaning the only way to deal with Boogie Woogie is to overpower him through it, which Sukuna can't do while his own CT is down.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 20, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Honestly I really do appreciate that many people love the manga enough that they would try to explain the binding vow thing. That shows a lot of love.

Gege enjoys throwing stuff at the wall, and he's legitimately good at doing so in that moment. You don't need to look further than the Takaba/Kenny match to see that; Gege finally had carte blanche to draw and enact a situation that was only limited by his imagination, and frankly, the result is his best work since Shibuya.

JJK had an almost unbroken string of hitmaker narrative payoff all the way through Shibuya. Then after, they almost all fail (with bright spots along the way for sure!). It's not really worth debating why, but I think we can agree that this is broadly what happened.

It's no surprise that his best work since Takaba/Kenny was this current chapter with Todo. They're both doing the same thing! Which is to say, a situation that allows creativity well in excess of the normal confines of the series; not playing it quite as straight, swerving away from the rationality that made the manga good in an earlier era.

Binding vows, imo, have very little payoff. Their current manifestation is just a narrative bandaid that tries to apply a coat of rationality to Gege's attempts to nuance his way out of a system that has simply gotten away from him on so many levels. It feels much more like a shackle than a benefit.

If Gege wants to get weird with it, like his recent successes in JJK seem to indicate, I wish he would just... do that and stop worrying about what the manga was, cuz this trying to have it both ways poo poo is not doing anyone any favors :shrug:

e: btw my favorite JJK youtuber (who is more of an animation guy) goes over the updates to JJK 2x17 anime in way too much detail in a new video today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JoCNvbBoXI

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 20, 2024

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
i didn't think his sex appeal could get anymore broken

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm just wondering how you're gonna adapt half of this to anime since you can't NOT have a narrator explaining all of this technique poo poo

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I can't wait for the soundtrack to just have a bunch of buzzing from Todo's instrument playing throughout multiple episodes.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhbwGHuYR-Y

fans goin' wild in the comments of this four year old video

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I'm just wondering how you're gonna adapt half of this to anime since you can't NOT have a narrator explaining all of this technique poo poo

Go watch the Chimera Ant arc in Hunter x Hunter.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Slightly Absurd posted:

Did they actually change the title four years later lmao.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

They brought in a Narrator during Shibuya.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
That youtube is the first time i’ve heard a vibraslap and holy moly that’s a lot of clacks. It actually sounds a lot like the sound a roulette wheel makes when spinning which is appropriate.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I thought it sounded similar but didn't realize the vibraslap was a modern take on quijadas.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Slightly Absurd posted:

so how much of the metal rod is in todo's arm? i know that poo poo hurts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

yum posted:

That youtube is the first time i’ve heard a vibraslap and holy moly that’s a lot of clacks. It actually sounds a lot like the sound a roulette wheel makes when spinning which is appropriate.

youve probably heard them in a ton of songs without realizing it, its a common percussion instrument