Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You pay to vote for Eurovision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Khanstant posted:

You pay to vote for Eurovision?

It's phone/text voting, just like voting for like, American Idol or whatever.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah as it's how they decided which musicians going to be President of the European Commission for the year, it's pretty serious business.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Does Starfleet have singing competitions.

Is it world based.

Do they have to use Space AT&T to vote.

How many worlds would be part of it.

These are the sorts of questions I have always asked myself as of a minute ago.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Almost certainly they have things like that but we (almost) only got classical music for several reasons, probably the biggest being it's very hard to write something new and good, let alone alien

Kingon Opera never wins though :smith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rubber Chicken posted:

Almost certainly they have things like that but we (almost) only got classical music for several reasons, probably the biggest being it's very hard to write something new and good, let alone alien

Kingon Opera never wins though :smith:

They should try something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk5t4bHz6oI

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We got Klingon Acid Punk on Lower Decks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I like the archivist Hy'rell.

So seems like they will bring back L'ak and or the Kwejian world tree.

Sure was a good thing there was one final failsafe protecting the progenitor tech that only Burnham knows how to bypass other they would've had to make a tough call between getting the tech and letting all the archivists and their relics get vaporized.

Wow that ending sure was stupid. No idea why the show seems to intent on making Moll and L'ak so central to this season but it's absolutely dragging it down.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Incredibly minor thought: in the episode where billups's mother fakes her death, shouldn't the guy be sobbing 'Long live the King, the Queen is dead'? rather than 'Long live the Queen, the Queen is dead'? The phrase is meant to be about the succession, isn't it?

Or maybe he was just calling Billups a queen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Discovery is definitely in the clear now, how to we make the Breen catch up?"
"Some dumb space magic happens and they track them"
"Ok, but now Discovery clearly has another advantage, how do we let the Breen catch up?"
"Some dumb space magic happens and now it will take a long time for them both to get there"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Incredibly minor thought: in the episode where billups's mother fakes her death, shouldn't the guy be sobbing 'Long live the King, the Queen is dead'? rather than 'Long live the Queen, the Queen is dead'? The phrase is meant to be about the succession, isn't it?

Or maybe he was just calling Billups a queen.

Maybe it's meant to be a hint that she's not dead?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rubber Chicken posted:

The real reasons are that classical music is copyright free and the average Star Trek writer is a massive dork.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I remember that Bashir and O'brien were meant to sing Queen or some other karaoke standard in the scene in Explorers, but they couldn't clear the song so Siddig and Meaney decided on Jerusalem instead

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

"Discovery is definitely in the clear now, how to we make the Breen catch up?"
"Some dumb space magic happens and they track them"
"Ok, but now Discovery clearly has another advantage, how do we let the Breen catch up?"
"Some dumb space magic happens and now it will take a long time for them both to get there"

So, "contrived bullshit", then?

Pretty much what I was expecting.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, "contrived bullshit", then?

Pretty much what I was expecting.

Similarly, 95% of the DISCO S3 finale would have been circumvented had Tilly just spore-jumped somewhere away and safe, left the Orion dreadnought to get itself killed in that nebula following them, and jumped few hours later back to pick up the away team with the pacified Su'Kal.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Reno mentioned doing work near Hysperia and partying with Hysperians, it took me a sec but searched to confirm. Billups from Lower Decks is Hysperian and they are the Ren Fair cosplay species.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hysperians are the only people doing "living in totally automated luxury gay space communism" right.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hysperians are the only people doing "living in totally automated luxury gay space communism" right.

Best just to assume there are a whole bunch of them but starfleet never visit cos it would make a pretty boring episode.

"So you're still having an amazingly chill time doing your thing?"
"yep"
"cool, cool, cool, so we'll just sort of idle around her for another 43 minutes not really doing anything of interest then go if that's all right?"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
For a thousand year old space library with zillions of one of a kind of priceless poo poo, its loving useless at defending itself.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Best just to assume there are a whole bunch of them but starfleet never visit cos it would make a pretty boring episode.

"So you're still having an amazingly chill time doing your thing?"
"yep"
"cool, cool, cool, so we'll just sort of idle around her for another 43 minutes not really doing anything of interest then go if that's all right?"

"I guess we'll all just enjoy the view and definitely not check if anyone is trapped in a malfunctioning holodeck"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I remember that Bashir and O'brien were meant to sing Queen or some other karaoke standard in the scene in Explorers, but they couldn't clear the song so Siddig and Meaney decided on Jerusalem instead

Louie, Louie and Rocket Man were the two main choices that fell through.

swickles posted:

Reno mentioned doing work near Hysperia and partying with Hysperians, it took me a sec but searched to confirm. Billups from Lower Decks is Hysperian and they are the Ren Fair cosplay species.

Well, they're humans, they just found a world that has native tameable dragons and went 'well this is too good to waste!'.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
The bridge flamethrowers are still the dumbest thing

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Another tedious Burnham introspective. This show 100% deserved to be cancelled.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

MikeJF posted:

Louie, Louie and Rocket Man were the two main choices that fell through.

That could have been hilarious if Bashir performed it a la Shat.

Falcorum posted:

The bridge flamethrowers are still the dumbest thing

I forget where I read it, but I think it was Trek-adjacent, and it explained that (at the time anyway) you needed to have an actual fire marshal on set if you had an open flame, so I wonder if that restriction doesn’t apply in the great white north, or if they have something similar that makes exploding console pyrotechnics prohibitive.

It does kind of take me out of it every time I see it. They could have at least thrown some borax in it to make it green or something.

I think the hero of this episode was the random little chunk of ceiling that fell down during the battle - it’s like they just had some intern chuck a 2x4 down from a hole in the roof or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Should've had a wall blow out and then slurp back into place.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think bridge flamethrowers are dumb but in the fun way I like. And no dumber than exploding consoles.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Not even watching Disco, but I can make a wild guess that Mor and Locks, or whatever their names are, will somehow force the Federation to give them the rest of the pieces to the ark of the covenant in an incredibly contrived scene, possibly involving hostages, that the antagonists could never have foreseen occurring while hunting down the rest of the MacGuffin.

eh, proximate I guess

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
I also lol'd at the flaming chunk of metal falling from the ceiling

Laughed again when you could see the whole bridge floor and it wasn't there

Then again when you could see the undamaged ceiling

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

All the debris is immediately transported into the toilets, so it can be reconstituted into food, just like their poop

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I respect the effort to keep the Breen staffs banging on-rhythm across cuts but now I want somebody to grab Moll by the shoulders so she stops loving wiggling

Edit: Might have spotted a Cool S in the map of the labyrinth. Also, why is Michael bothering with that sand if she also has automapping turned on

CPColin fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 17, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

CPColin posted:

Edit: Might have spotted a Cool S in the map of the labyrinth. Also, why is Michael bothering with that sand if she also has automapping turned on

gotta respect the kayfabe

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

More than one, too!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Discovery is the Star Trek with the most cursing, from both the crew and the audience.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The coarse language warning we get in Canada before each episode has my partner and I betting who will be sweating. Neither of us picked new Owo

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 17, 2024

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Oh you finally have a decent sense of who some if the bridge crew are?

They, uh... died. Sorry.

embarrassing

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rubber Chicken posted:

Oh you finally have a decent sense of who some if the bridge crew are?

They, uh... died. Sorry.

embarrassing

Weren't they flying the ISS Enterprise home?

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

pik_d posted:

Weren't they flying the ISS Enterprise home?

I'm sure it's something generally reasonable in universe

although again, having the B-team for the Most Important Mission Ever is a bit lol

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Once again my brain just completely slid off this episode and I think I've worked out that it's because they keep saying the word clue over and over. It feels like I'm watching a detective show for children, I just immediately switch off when they keep saying "We've got all these clues, time to get another clue to add to our clues! Oh boy, it's clue time!" and so on.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

All the tests should have been Indiana Jones-style death traps.

Phantom Book admonishing Burnham for not remembering that Jesus starts with an 'I' in the original Klingon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rubber Chicken posted:

I'm sure it's something generally reasonable in universe

although again, having the B-team for the Most Important Mission Ever is a bit lol

They explicitly say that Detmer and Owo were.
leading the team flying the ISS back to Federation HQ.