Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh it's gotten worse. Now it's pointing to whole pages that don't exist.

E: oh well I guess it exists now.

Here's a ghost dog in honor of the haunted thread and it's ghost pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Farewell trump thread until next time

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KickerOfMice posted:

I've never seen it. :cripes:

Go watch Commando, it will absolutely be a better use of your time than reading/posting here or anywhere else on the internet.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
ALAS

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cable Guy posted:

Maybe wait till it ticks to a new page...? See if that helps?

whenever it gets ‘stuck’ it will remain that way until a set number of posts are made in it. for some reason that number is always the same for each page in a thread but it’s different from thread to thread.

it’s weird. but yeah this thread will now get ‘stuck’ for a few posts on every page so if you see phantom posts then :justpost:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
No We're Back !!

Post count was good

Spoke too soon... it's going to top of this page now... Mods please close this thread.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Johnny Bravo posted:

Farewell trump thread until next time

Maybe this threads actually Trump's horcrux and good wizards are trying to destroy it.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Go watch Commando, it will absolutely be a better use of your time than reading/posting here or anywhere else on the internet.

Eh, 80's ham, not really my cup of tea!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

oh boy this thread is haunted too now, huh?

for anyone who doesn’t know zdr was running some tests a while ago where they deleted some of their own posts and as a result some of the threads they posted in started glitching out. some threads freaked out immediately and others took longer. that had to have been almost a year ago now so i’m surprised it’s still popping up in random places

Also ZDR's in the hospital right now, so we're well and truly hosed at the moment. Enjoy the chaos, kids. The admins can't help you now.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
It also deleted my page starter post where I decried Commando as a bad film. I still liked it though.... :iiam:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

whenever it gets ‘stuck’ it will remain that way until a set number of posts are made in it. for some reason that number is always the same for each page in a thread but it’s different from thread to thread.

it’s weird. but yeah this thread will now get ‘stuck’ for a few posts on every page so if you see phantom posts then :justpost:

That's actually pretty hilarious. I was aware of the problem but didn't know that the workaround was to shitpost it into submission

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Also ZDR's in the hospital right now, so we're well and truly hosed at the moment. Enjoy the chaos, kids. The admins can't help you now.

Hail Satan

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Johnny Bravo posted:

That's actually pretty hilarious. I was aware of the problem but didn't know that the workaround was to shitpost it into submission

Hold my beer.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Z

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

TulliusCicero posted:

I know this is way late, but what congressional seats is this sun downing dipshit even referencing? Since Ossof they have lost almost everything, not even mentioning that Alabama has a dem senator because of Donnie's dumb rear end.

Are the races in his mind while he thinks about his next big mac? Jfc

i THINK this is how he gets this number. He thinks 'Congress' and 'the House' are the same thing so Roy Moore losing doesn't count.
He's also ignoring the CA-34 election where a republican didn't even contest.

So you have

KS-4 (Pompeo's old seat) - R+15 district, R won by 6%
MT-AL (Zinke) - R+11 district, R won by 6%
GA-6 (Price) - R+8, R won by 3%
SC-5 (Mulvaney) - R+9, R won by 3%
UT-3 (Chaffetz) - R+25, R won by 32%

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

LeeMajors posted:

The real tragedy is just how goddamned good the source novel was.

It's also paints a far more appropriately grim extrapolated future for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Running_Man_(novel)

Bachman is a better author than King :colbert: fight me (with the exception of the Stand and It, which are both pretty good)

(I know King and Bachman are the same person)

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Starting a new thread, will post here when it's ready

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also those stupid incompetent Roman Consuls at least had to buy off tons of poorer people with entertaining games, beautiful public spaces, or outright bribes to even get their position in the first place so at least some people benefited by it. Trump has never given anything to anyone ever.

Trump is literally the most worthless human being ever elected to high office going back all the way into antiquity.

Alcibiades?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cable Guy posted:

I have my traditional hail satan reply ready.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cable Guy posted:

Trump Thread IV: A Stormy Spring Ahead

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Warren Harding:

Vastly more intelligent and self aware than anything Trump as ever said.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

nine-gear crow posted:

Trump Thread IV: A Stormy Spring Ahead

I think that beats mine Trump Thread IV - A Lobster claw Curls.

Thread is Up... mods please close this one. Goddamit - I meant to use the [SEX] tag... :ughh:

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 12, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The Liberian experiment is a weird duck in that a bunch of American black nationalists were 200% in favor of the idea.

And some of them still are, arguing (and not necessarily entirely wrong) that it could have worked quite well with more financial and logistical support.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The Liberian experiment is a weird duck in that a bunch of American black nationalists were 200% in favor of the idea.

And some of them still are, arguing (and not necessarily entirely wrong) that it could have worked quite well with more financial and logistical support.

tl;dr: The Liberia experiment sorta did work, in that the returned slaves went all Andrew Jackson on the indigenous Liberians, wrote in their constitution that only black people can be citizens or own property, and every president until 1980 was a descendant of ex-slaves and never a native Liberian.

The Liberia experiment sorta did work, just not in the way that we appreciate today. The folks that got settled were called the "Congo people": black freemen, former slaves, and in some cases people off of intercepted slave-ships who'd never gotten to the Americas.

I'm simplifying, but the Congos got to Liberia and pretty shortly started using their superior position, weapons, and American backing to attack the indigenous Liberians. I was going to say "enslave" because that was my understanding, but some googling tells me that slavery was banned there from the get-go, so I'll just say "caused the indigenous Liberians to labor for them under sub-optimal conditions." They steadily grew the country by seizing tribal land, since Liberia was much smaller at the start. Basically, the Congos did to Liberia what white people did to North America, so you can draw some Israel/Palestine parallels there in terms of past experience informing future experience.

Oh, and taking their cue from past experience, the Congos required voters to be (legal not tribal) private landowners, disenfranchising most of the indigenous Liberians. And fascinatingly enough their Constitution requires that to be a citizen or own property in Liberia, a person must be "of Negro blood". So the Lebanese and Indians expatriates who "own" properties in Liberia do so by funding a Liberian friend/employee to buy and own the property, with the unwritten understanding (probably backed by threats) that the expat will be the de facto but not de jure owner.

I worked in Liberia for a small company, and when we were thinking about buying a housing/office space, we briefly considered bringing my American cousin (his dad is black and married my aunt) over to Liberia to "own" the property and "rent" it to the company.

The Congos ended up basically ruling Liberia despite being a small minority, and every single president of Liberia was a Congo until 1980 when Doe (an ethnic Krahn) pulled a coup and seized power. He gets overthrown, and eventually tortured and murdered in front of news cameras while an insurgent general sips a (shudder) Bud Light while watching Doe's ears get cut off.

I'm getting into the weeds, but the point is that "repatriating" former slaves to Liberia was effective in that it got them a techically-democratic state, run by black people and never colonized by white people even during the Scramble for Africa, and under the minority-rule of the Congos themselves.

EDIT: This is kinda weird, but there's almost a Rhodesia/South Africa parallel where certain people wistfully say "yeah, too bad about Liberia, used to be a really nice country, you know, before..." It wasn't a rich country from 1820-1980, but it was relatively peaceful once they got done busting heads, and much like Rhodesia, if you were in the ruling minority it was a great place to live, and yet further like Rhodeisa the ex-ruling minority would be happy to tell you how much better things were for those ungrateful majorities in the "old days".

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 12, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
This thread is Dead

New thread is here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851537

Mods please close this thread.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The Congos ended up basically ruling Liberia despite being a small minority, and every single president of Liberia was a Congo until 1980 when Doe (an ethnic Krahn) pulled a coup and seized power. He gets overthrown, and eventually tortured and murdered in front of news cameras while an insurgent general sips a (shudder) Bud Light while watching Doe's ears get cut off.

Doe murdered most of his predecessor's cabinet on a beach via firing squad;
;
one of the few ministers to escape ended up becoming Liberia's president from 06 to this year.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Goodbye doomsday clock, hello A Song of ICE and Trump: A Stormy Sword

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Ah, the bitterest cycle.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm just throwing this out here: Over the course of ~72 hours we've had Pee Pee Doo Doo, Drone Chat, Primary Chat, and BadDemming in this thread.

We are facing the wrath of radium. And God help me, I think we earned it.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I was here

#posterity

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Goodnight sweet thread.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

KickerOfMice posted:

I've never seen it. :cripes:

It is the most Arnold of Arnold movies

Also, he pets a deer

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Would the last good dog in the thread please turn out the light on your way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This is the worst thread on the entire internet

• Locked thread