Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hollandia posted:

Just how grindy is Dysmantle? It looks cool but I'm trying to weigh up how much is game and how much is crafting mats fetch quest.

A normal playthrough is not bad. Most of the mats will be picked up through normal gameplay or by running around to quickly grab a few things you might need for a specific recipe.

The only really grindy bit is a side quest that seems designed to cater to people who love mindless grind, as it consists of filling a giant storage vault with tons of nearly every item in the game. But it's pointless for gameplay purposes as the only way to get the reward from it is to already have finished the game. So it can be completely ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Artelier posted:

Can anyone steer me to pick between either River City Girls or The Mummy Demastered? I realise both are different genres but I like beat 'em ups and metroidvanias.

They're both a part of this Fanatical bundle, and I'm pretty sure I want Dishonored 1 and Ancient Enemy, so I want a third game to round out the pack. Not really considering the 5 game tier because I don't want to spend that much.

River City Girls is on Gamepass, if you have that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

funkmeister posted:

River City Girls is on Gamepass, if you have that.

It was removed in like, January

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've reached the game with King Louis in Card Shark, and I have no idea how to pass the third round. What are you supposed to do?

e: the orange clues were still good, I was just loving up the deal inputs

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 6, 2022

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Artelier posted:

Can anyone steer me to pick between either River City Girls or The Mummy Demastered? I realise both are different genres but I like beat 'em ups and metroidvanias.

They're both a part of this Fanatical bundle, and I'm pretty sure I want Dishonored 1 and Ancient Enemy, so I want a third game to round out the pack. Not really considering the 5 game tier because I don't want to spend that much.

I've only played about 30 minutes of each, but The Mummy Demastered has great music, surprisingly good art, which gives it a very distinct feel I was not expecting.

RCG is fun, but the enemies are a bit spongy and the overall presentation is.. Very WayForward. Too much voice acting. Made me wish I was playing SoR4 instead.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Dumb question time: I got Total Warhammer II in a sale a while back, and I was taken off-guard by how few races are available. I don't really give a crap about the special units or DLC stuff, I just want a million and one base races to be playable. Am I correct that the bulk of the races I don't have from II would be unlocked by getting the base TW I game and unlocking Mortal Empires?

I feel silly for asking, but I've always had a really hard time deciphering GW's DLC schemes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Omi no Kami posted:

Dumb question time: I got Total Warhammer II in a sale a while back, and I was taken off-guard by how few races are available. I don't really give a crap about the special units or DLC stuff, I just want a million and one base races to be playable. Am I correct that the bulk of the races I don't have from II would be unlocked by getting the base TW I game and unlocking Mortal Empires?

I feel silly for asking, but I've always had a really hard time deciphering GW's DLC schemes.

Buying game 1 would get you 5 more races (the base 4 plus Bretonnia, which is free). From there any others come from race pack DLCs (warriors of chaos/wood elves/beastmen/norsca in game 1, tomb kings/vampire coast in game 2).

There's really no need to rush to get everything outside of game 1 with any speed, and that's mostly for Mortal Empires. The races are all very differentiated and every lords within a race often feel like a big enough change from others that it's worth a play. And there are loads of those, many for free.

And that's before you get to downloading mods.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Total Warhammer suffers from all the cool poo poo being added in *later*. Like Dwarfs are tear-inducingly boring, with the other vanilla TW1 races not much better. TW2 expanded them with better mechanics (unsure if any of that got backported), but yea, if you actually want to play campaigns with interesting win conditions that aren't "paint the entire goddamn map" you need to shell out for DLC. Like 28 loving dollars for the wood elf campaign, what the gently caress.

-TW1 has the boring vanilla races (yes even vampires where made boring, impressive really!) plus Bretonnia which is the best of the lot.
--Note that to activate the free Bret DLC you need to sign up to a bunch of accounts and try to sync them with Steam etc. It's a huge PITA.
-Wood Elves, Beastmen, Chaos Warriors, and Norsca are DLC.
-Vanilla races also have some lords/units locked behind DLC.
-If you buy TW2, the same thing happens all over again. Vanilla, DLC, etc. BUT! If you own them both you can have a superlarge map and mush everyone together like a kid with GI Joes.
--The Vanilla TW2 campaign is better than painting the map, but somehow worse mechanically as it involves sitting in your base doing nothing to win.

The entire product is a real loving mixed bag. Everything about the store either causes stress or lamentation, the campaigns all start out nice but a lot of mechanics get old fast when you learn more about them (siege warfare...), there's a LOT of weird jank in the battles themselves when it comes to balances or unit control... But it's still a fun game on the tactical level, running around with strongly themed armies lovingly detailed &animated as you carefully flank poo poo etc is always great fun.

So my advice is to go in with eyes wide open. It takes a staggering amount of money and time to get gratification out of the product, and I condemn their sales model, but at least there's something good underneath and you're not just being suckered into a MOBA or whatever.

edit: Oh I mis-read, you got TW2 and not 1. That's great, just stick with that game until you've had your fill. TW1 would be nothing more than a very expensive race pack for you, yea.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 6, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

If you do want to buy races, also, just stick with buying the one you like the look of right now. Unless you really want to splurge on everything. Bear in mind quite a few races have extra lords that you need to pay for separately if you want them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Serephina posted:

Total Warhammer suffers from all the cool poo poo being added in *later*. Like Dwarfs are tear-inducingly boring, with the other vanilla TW1 races not much better. TW2 expanded them with better mechanics (unsure if any of that got backported), but yea, if you actually want to play campaigns with interesting win conditions that aren't "paint the entire goddamn map" you need to shell out for DLC. Like 28 loving dollars for the wood elf campaign, what the gently caress.

-TW1 has the boring vanilla races (yes even vampires where made boring, impressive really!) plus Bretonnia which is the best of the lot.
--Note that to activate the free Bret DLC you need to sign up to a bunch of accounts and try to sync them with Steam etc. It's a huge PITA.
-Wood Elves, Beastmen, Chaos Warriors, and Norsca are DLC.
-Vanilla races also have some lords/units locked behind DLC.
-If you buy TW2, the same thing happens all over again. Vanilla, DLC, etc. BUT! If you own them both you can have a superlarge map and mush everyone together like a kid with GI Joes.
--The Vanilla TW2 campaign is better than painting the map, but somehow worse mechanically as it involves sitting in your base doing nothing to win.

The entire product is a real loving mixed bag. Everything about the store either causes stress or lamentation, the campaigns all start out nice but a lot of mechanics get old fast when you learn more about them (siege warfare...), there's a LOT of weird jank in the battles themselves when it comes to balances or unit control... But it's still a fun game on the tactical level, running around with strongly themed armies lovingly detailed &animated as you carefully flank poo poo etc is always great fun.

So my advice is to go in with eyes wide open. It takes a staggering amount of money and time to get gratification out of the product, and I condemn their sales model, but at least there's something good underneath and you're not just being suckered into a MOBA or whatever.

edit: Oh I mis-read, you got TW2 and not 1. That's great, just stick with that game until you've had your fill. TW1 would be nothing more than a very expensive race pack for you, yea.

1,563 hours played

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

sebmojo posted:

1,563 hours played

~200 hours between TW1&2, but yea your point stands.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Serephina posted:

~200 hours between TW1&2, but yea your point stands.

i mean, it's useful perspective dgmw, but the vanilla total warhammer games really are good value if you just want to crush some pixels, and they're on sale regularly enough and there's enough freeLC that you can get a good deal on fixing the issues.

(has bought nearly every total war game to play for a few hours then uninstall)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
You really don't need additional race DLC for the TWW games. Each race plays completely differently and a single campaign takes a double digit number of hours to complete - there's a huge shitload of content in the baseline games, and that's assuming that you're not going to just go "welp, time to start up my 15th empire campaign" as a lot of people like to do.

The DLC races are for if either you're already so deep in that you want new content because you've mostly exhausted the existing content, or if you're totally in love with the aesthetic/gameplay style of one of the DLC races.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Each Total Warhammer game takes quite a while to play out (dozens of hours for me for most runs) so the base races represent a ton of gameplay. It's like how each civilization is a lot in Civ.

I'm over a hundred hours and feel like I've played my fill for a while with the base races. Keep in mind even within a race individual leaders can play quite differently.

efb

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 6, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah at the end of the day, in a practical sense, all the DLC is handled pretty rarely. Most of the content for sale is mutually exclusive and if you fully explore each one you're getting more than your moneys worth. On the other hand I'm completely understanding of anyone who sees a game with $200+ of DLC and instinctually says "gently caress this" -- even if it's managed well it's just bad optics after a certain point.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can anyone recommend InfraSpace?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I know that with Total Warhammer games owning the old games and dlc makes the factions available in newer games. But does it also make the old campaign's playable in new games?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sininu posted:

I know that with Total Warhammer games owning the old games and dlc makes the factions available in newer games. But does it also make the old campaign's playable in new games?

Nope.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i've got this game in my library called Age of Empires II (2013). is that the new hd edition? what on earth is it. I have Age of Empires III (2007) as well. I wouldn't wanna double buy a game if I don't have too

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Ramadu posted:

i've got this game in my library called Age of Empires II (2013). is that the new hd edition? what on earth is it. I have Age of Empires III (2007) as well. I wouldn't wanna double buy a game if I don't have too

There is also the Definitive Edition, 2013 is the HD Edition. HD got a bunch of additional campaigns in the form of DLC made for it, while DE got some other DLC made for it. DE is probably the better pick as it doesn't pretend that genocide of first world natives didn't happen or that slavery didn't happen.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Listen if a game could potentially let me play as vampire pirates, but it requires DLC, then I'm drat well going to buy the vampire pirate DLC.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Serephina posted:

You just click download on the store page, my dude. The Total War Access stuff was just to get it early, like 24 hours earlier, which was very silly.

Also Bretonnia and Dwarfs are FLC for TWW2.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

The worst part about the DLC is that if there's a legendary lord for your race that you don't own you can't confederate with them and have to go to war with them if you ever want their land

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ZearothK posted:

You just click download on the store page, my dude. The Total War Access stuff was just to get it early, like 24 hours earlier, which was very silly.

Things might have changed, but it was absolutely a shitshow getting Brettonia to activate in TW1, when I tried about 1 yr after release. The forums and reviews echoed this.

I'm really leery nowadays of excessive DLC nowadays, as I'm still playing several excellent games which add in content in on a regular basis, implying that the "make a good product and people will keep buying it years on end" business model isn't gone forever yet. I prefer that model.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

i mean, it's useful perspective dgmw, but the vanilla total warhammer games really are good value if you just want to crush some pixels, and they're on sale regularly enough and there's enough freeLC that you can get a good deal on fixing the issues.

(has bought nearly every total war game to play for a few hours then uninstall)

I bought WTW3 at launch, wished I had just bought WTW2 instead, finally got all the DLC in the latest sale (it was slightly cheaper on Fanatical than Steam too).

All of that money just to install the AI general mod and watch my rat men commit war crimes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I played Total Warhammer when it first came out, did a campaign as the Dwarves. They have a book of grudges, grudges that must be settled or else the Dwarven Chiefs get mad at you. So I cleared all the grudges. The Dwarven Chiefs got mad at me for it :allears:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah Dwarfs aren't the most exciting race but sometimes I just want to listen to a bunch of short hairy muscle men grumble and yell

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Just a quick PSA if you've ever bought something at the bundle site Groupees

It seems like it's closing down, so if you still have Steam/itch.io keys that aren't redeemed, this might be you last chance to get them.

While they ended up doing only music bundles the last few years, the first bundles they created were pretty decent.
Some of the first bundles I got from there contained La Mulana, Driftmoon, Underrail, a complete Wadjet Eye bundle, etc. so you might also still have some OK games you want to redeem.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Diephoon posted:

Dwarfs aren't the most exciting race

*adds a name to the Book of Grudges* :scrunt:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sininu posted:

Total Warhammer games owning the old games and dlc makes the factions available in newer games

Mother fucker

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

:D

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

drat GW wants to drain me dry

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Diephoon posted:

I bought WTW3 at launch, wished I had just bought WTW2 instead, finally got all the DLC in the latest sale (it was slightly cheaper on Fanatical than Steam too).

All of that money just to install the AI general mod and watch my rat men commit war crimes.
I've noticed some people really trying to push WTW3 onto new players instead of WTW2 on other forums. There's something about the WTW3 fans blaming WTW2 fans for ruining the game's reviews or something?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Been meaning to try out a Total War for a while now, but they're stupidly expensive even with regional pricing so I've been ignoring them for the most part, but since I reupped game pass recently, how's base WTW3 as a taste of the games?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rascyc posted:

I've noticed some people really trying to push WTW3 onto new players instead of WTW2 on other forums. There's something about the WTW3 fans blaming WTW2 fans for ruining the game's reviews or something?

idk about that, but its probably because 3 will have Immortal Empires in a couple of months. For those that dont know, IE is a mode that will combine the main campaign maps of all 3 Total Warhammer games into one giant map that will have every single race and lord on it. If its done correctly, it will be THE definitive way to play the games

Its not out yet though, and theres still a lot of details up in the air. Some are speculating that you will need to have either Total Warhammer 1 or 2 in order to play IE in 3, as was the case in 2 where you needed 1 to play the combined map, called Mortal Empires. Others are hoping that anyone that owns 3 will get to play IE, but only with the factions that are included in 3.

Until we get more details though, I would hold off on getting WTW 3 if youre only interested in IE. Given the launch state of TWT 3, IE will probably be buggy as hell when it launches too

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Been meaning to try out a Total War for a while now, but they're stupidly expensive even with regional pricing so I've been ignoring them for the most part, but since I reupped game pass recently, how's base WTW3 as a taste of the games?

3’s not a bad game for a newcomer. I’m wouldn’t recommend buying it over TWW2 right now, but since you already have Gamepass go for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This is not true yet for TWW3 just fyi, but it will become true pretty soon when a free update adds the Immortal Empires campaign. We don't have a release date yet, historically they seem to have a company policy of never announcing one more than 2 weeks in advance, but they've ramped up the marketing recently and a lot of people are saying it'll come in July.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rascyc posted:

TWW3 is something of a rough draft right now. It had an extremely poor release, with tons of crippling technical issues and a widely despised main campaign. They've been working hard on it, but I'd still consider it an early access title in its present form.

TWW2 is a game with half a decade of continuous patching, additional content(both paid and free), and balance tweaks and is an enormously more polished and complete product in its current form, even if it's missing a couple of quality of life tweaks introduced in TWW3.

If a new player was looking to get into TWW, I'd recommend they start with TWW3 only if they have game pass to play it for free. Otherwise I'd 100% recommend TWW2.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's in a really good spot right now. It received some flak at launch, the main campaign has a gimmick of these demonic hell portals opening on the map which you're meant to fight with other factions over in order to close them or send your armies into them for great rewards. The system was cool but it was tuned to be a little too impactful and made it impossible to ignore and just play army mans with your guys, which is what a lot of people enjoy about the series. Since then it's received several major balance patches and while the portals are still a focus of the campaign, you no longer have to drop everything you're doing and rush over to one as soon as it appears. I think at this point though a lot of the series fans already had a ton of hours sunk in by the time those changes came around, and at this point most of them are waiting for the above mentioned Immortal Empires campaign. As a new player though you're in for a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Rascyc posted:

there's no reason to play 3 at the moment, 2 is cheaper, better, has more content, is more polished, and doesn't have all the bizarre new features in 3 that no one asked for like even more annoying sieges and a campaign that's completely disconnected from the strategical layer of the game.

i'd give it a wide berth for a while. if you really like 2, give 3 a look whenever you want more.