Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Let's all talk about how much we hate Reddit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins
KORGAN

Although recently people who just fuckin' hate the dance party in the meme thread have decided better the devil you know and been loudly praising his return

What I'm saying is, don't go to the meme thread, it's fuckin awful in there.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

Decoy Badger posted:

Let's all talk about how much we hate Reddit!

Wait, no, this one too. Considering the overlap between userbases and that Reddit is represents some ungodly proportion of internet users it's kind of silly to pretend it's just a den of MRAs and pedos. Of course, it's still a godawful wasteland, but acting like posting on an internet forum is superior to some other internet forum is just :agesilaus:

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Fallout New Vegas in any thread about video games or thread about not-video games.

Its my favorite derail because its my favorite game and I'm just happy people are still talking about it even if some of them have wrong opinions.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Abortion. No matter your stance on abortion, and no matter your noble efforts to speak calmly and find compromise, there is a huge population of people who hate your mind, body, and soul because of your opinions.

Me, posting on a feminist blog: Abortion is bad, and I hope we stop it some day, but for now it seems reasonable to allow it.
Kneejerkers: HOW COULD YOU SAY ABORTION IS BAD YOU OBVIOUSLY HATE WOMEN AND EQUAL RIGHTS THAT'S THE ONLY POSSIBLE EXPLANATION FOR WHY YOU THINK THIS GET OUT DIE GO TO HELL :argh::hf::jihad:

True story.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Junk food/fast food derails. Nothing quite as goony as arguing over the worth of or lack thereof regarding burgers and pizza.

Mikedawson has a new favorite as of 18:14 on May 23, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SJW shenanigans when it pops out and people discuss in the worst threads for it (like it happened recently in the Warlods of Draenor thread)

Just make a thread about it dammit

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tiggum posted:

It was funny once. It was very funny. Once. That one time. But people keep trying it over and over, like it's going to be funny again if you just repeat it enough. It isn't.

You remind me of the babe.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
The Star Wars derail in the TMNT thread in CD.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
That one Bill Murray movie everybody keeps talking about.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This game should be more like Dark Souls

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

1. Someone likes (food item from fast food place)

2. (Food item) gave someone else "shits for a week, how can anyone eat at places like that?"

3. "You must be a pussy if (food item) kicks your rear end."

I've read this discussion on this forum easily 20 times.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lotish posted:

Supermechagodzilla is as destructive to a Cinema Discusso thread as his namesake is to Japan.

This is the straight truth.

My favorite derail is anime. If it even vaguely sorta looks like it might be an anime, someone will have to comment on it. :nyoron:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

frajaq posted:

SJW shenanigans when it pops out and people discuss in the worst threads for it (like it happened recently in the Warlods of Draenor thread)

There were two, but Stalin McHITLER :godwin: didn't like them.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
My favorite derail was the original "mods knew" thing where some guy said his friend who had been banned had told him that the mods knew that Aatrek was a child molester and was going to come back later with proof and the thread derailed for hours with people speculating and then the guy's friend came back and went "wait, really? I was just making poo poo up."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tiggum posted:

It was funny once. It was very funny. Once. That one time. But people keep trying it over and over, like it's going to be funny again if you just repeat it enough. It isn't.

I never got the joke, myself. It's just a frog, hanging there. It doesn't do anything.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

frajaq posted:

Those threads are typically shut down because they attract really lovely people who try to derail them by posting inflammatory stuff. A good example would be Adam Bowen in the gamers.txt thread.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The entire PYF forum

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

This video game has breasts in it.

"This character is demeaning to women because her breasts are too big/non existant/over-sexualized/undersexualized."
:goonsay:

I'll never get tired of watching goons ride out to war over video game cheese cake.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

RandomFerret posted:

You remind me of the babe.

What babe? :confused:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Gerblyn posted:

What babe? :confused:

The babe with the penis.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Basically the entire quotes thread recently.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
In the wrestling forum it is a bannable offense to mention hot dogs. This is because a derail debate on the choice between Chicago and New York style hotdogs lasted for weeks. Personally, I'm from the south and we eat chili and coleslaw on our dogs, which is the best way to go, so the argument is moot.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Too many derails are started from people not understanding that two things can be wrong simultaneously.

Like, in the OP's derail, the guy who kicked the kid and the dad who punched the guy can both be wrong. Nobody has to be in the right. And there doesn't have to be some kind of hierarchy of wrongs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pants pockets and 3DS visibility.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Microwave's mom.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
People from the USA walk/talk/drive/eat/drink/breathe like THIS. Beep boop blop.

People from the UK walk/talk/drive/eat/drink/breathe like THIS. Blip blop bloop.

Haha, I can't believe British dumbasses talk/drive/eat/drink/breathe like that! They're doing it wrong!

Haha, I can't believe American wankers talk/drive/eat/drink/breathe like that! They're doing it wrong!

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I think women should shave their legs and armpits.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

God Of Paradise posted:

In the wrestling forum it is a bannable offense to mention hot dogs. This is because a derail debate on the choice between Chicago and New York style hotdogs lasted for weeks. Personally, I'm from the south and we eat chili and coleslaw on our dogs, which is the best way to go, so the argument is moot.

The dumbest part is they aren't even different "styles" like with pizza, just slightly different toppings. New York / Chicago rivalries are always sooo loving lame.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Pneub posted:

The dumbest part is they aren't even different "styles" like with pizza, just slightly different toppings. New York / Chicago rivalries are always sooo loving lame.

This, but also San Francisco/Los Angeles rivalries. But when was the last time the Dodgers won a world series? :smuggo:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Doctor Bishop posted:

The babe with the penis.

What penis?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Doctor Bishop posted:

The babe with the penis.

Lady Gaga?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pneub posted:

I was at the O-hare airport catching an early flight. I picked up a hotdog from the food court, and asked for some ketchup. The dirty looks they gave me kind of pissed me off. What do you give a poo poo about what I put on my dog?

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Kajeesus posted:

In the vein of tipping, unlisted sales taxes. There are American goons who will actually defend this practice.

I tried googling this, but came up with nothing. What's this all about? I'm kind of curious, because I work in the main tax agency in my country.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

I tried googling this, but came up with nothing. What's this all about? I'm kind of curious, because I work in the main tax agency in my country.

The price on the tag doesn't include the sales tax for some reason.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And not all items have the same sales tax, either. If you're in Canada Ontario, everything costs 13% more than the listed price, except things like newspapers and certain food items. In the US I think it varies from state to state?

E: vv Not even Canada is consistent? :argh:

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 01:55 on May 24, 2014

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Kajeesus posted:

And not all items have the same sales tax, either. If you're in Canada, everything costs 13% more than the listed price, except things like newspapers and certain food items. In the US I think it varies from state to state?

its 5% in alberta.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Can sausage patties truly be considered sausages?

That was the most beautiful derail. I want to read it again in all its infuriating glory.

Content: regional terminology for anything at all, but mostly food items.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bomrek posted:

That was the most beautiful derail. I want to read it again in all its infuriating glory.

Content: regional terminology for anything at all, but mostly food items.

Canadian Bacon. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Android Bicyclist posted:

In no particular order:
-Steak is great cooked above medium-rare/medium. In fact, I like my steaks well done.
-Chili should have beans in it.
-That looks like David Mitchell.

loving hell, I'll never forget a few years ago when I posted a picture of some chilli I had made, not knowing GWS was extremely, extremely ornery on the topic. It's hilarious when I think of it now, terrifying at the time.

• Locked thread